PDA

View Full Version : A sewing we will go!

Byllie
08-26-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm a pretty could seamstress. Did theater and costumes in college, and then Halloween costumes galore for our kids as they grew up. Even sewed a jeans jacket for myself, once (and never again; that stuff is murder to work with). I even know how to make my own patterns.

Anyway, I'm gonna take a stab at a long, simple, six-panel skirt. Wish me luck! If it comes out halfway decent I'll post photos and basic instructions.

Jodi Lynn
08-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Good luck Byllie, I know it will turn out wonderful. BTW I have allways had a nack for doing things that were all for "girls only", like cooking and sewing even took those classes in high school (years ago LOL).

DeeInGeorgia
08-26-2006, 09:23 PM
My mother is a very good seamstress, knitter, crochetter, and pretty good cook. I had an interest in sewing as a kid, helping my mom. Besides making barbie doll outfits for my younger sister, I would mark hems for my mother and sometimes wore the skirt while my mother marked the hem. I learned to cook, partly because I was a picky eater, but also because I figured I would try to become a cook if I was drafted.

After college, I made a few fancy square dance outfits. I still do a few things, I put 2 slips together to make an extension for a dress, and added some elastic to the waist of a skirt.

Lilith Moon
08-27-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm no expert but I can alter clothes and I've made simple dresses from patterns. I've made several goth looking PVC garments. They are completely age inappropriate for me but fun to wear around the house.

Melinda G
08-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I originally bought a sewing machine to make some canvas awnings for my boat. But I have since used it many times for sewing clothes. No. I don't make dresses. But I have hemmed up many a dress, to make it shorter, like I like them. I also turned a long sleeve dress into a short sleeve dress, that reveals a lot of leg. Because mens shoulders are bigger than womens, I have to buy dresses in a larger size than I would like, and that means they usually look too long. Now, I just buy dresses to fit the shoulders, and shorten them to the length I want. It's pretty simple to just cut off a few inches, and sew up the hem.

Annesah
08-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Melinda; I too have been thinking about learning to sew for about the same reasons you have stated. Your post has been an inspiration. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Billijo49504
08-27-2006, 06:49 PM
I know what you mean, trying something new is scarry. I tried quilting. My first one was 110X110 inches, a California king. We had to move all the furnature out of the living room, to assemble the quilt...BJ

Di
08-27-2006, 07:03 PM
How cool is that....yes show pics....I always wanted to sew.....seems like i,m always on the run.

KarenSusan
08-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Where would you go to learn how to sew if you have no experience
whatsoever?

trannie T
08-28-2006, 01:24 AM
I once worked with a guy who made his own clothes (this was in the era of the polyester leisure suit.) Wonder if he had a few dresses at home.

Frances1
08-28-2006, 03:38 AM
My wife is Ok with my desire to dress/be a girl. However, she is concerned about my inactivity as a retired person and when I expressed a desire to get-into sewing she immediately got out her Janome, gave me a intro lesson and left me with the manual.
Well! This machine is a gem, I even pulled it apart and gave it a service. All in accord with the manual of course. But I suspect the best fun is yet to come. She wants to share the joy of browsing though patterns at our local store. Sounds fun but the challenge of making a skirt/top and wearing it is great. I would also like to make some breast forms to fit my bra (seed/rice inside a shaped cloth container). This is better than boy stuff although I still would like to weld something.
Maybe we should have a new category on Crossdressors that caters for girl crafts. Ideas/hints/tips for sewing, knitting, flower arranging, other girl crafts.

Frances::rose2: