PDA

View Full Version : Having surgery

Taylor105
08-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Not that kind of surgery!! lol

Seriously, on Thursday I am having foot surgery. They will be removing my pinkie toe on my left foot. It is a birth defect that has been bothering me my whole life. After three unsuccessful surgeries to try to correct it they are going to be removing it. I thought I would let you all know so that you will understand when I go missing for awhile. I'm not afraid at all. I'm just weirded out that when they remove the dressing for the first time I am going to be missing a part of me. I am kinda freaked to look at it. But a lot of people have it way worse than I do. It could be my whole foot or a limb. So I am thankful it is only a toe. Am I selfish to be freaked about it? At least the pain that I have been living with will be ultimately gone once I am healed.

I haven't shaved my legs or underarms in a very loooong time. My mom thinks I should shave my legs before this surgery. I have mixed feelings about it. I have just recently decided in the last month that I am not going to shave anymore. So I'm still kind of self conscious about it. The last time I had surgery with this guy was in April. At that time I was still shaving. So my bushy legs are going to be something to him. lol What would you guys do? Would you shave or say **** it and let them think what they are gonna think? Anyway, it is all dumb in the grand scheme of things. Just wondering what you all think?

Wish me luck...prayers...good vibes. Hugs to all!!! taylor

Kieron Andrew
08-29-2006, 08:27 AM
i wouldnt bother to shave lol

best wishes for the surgery :)

Adam
08-29-2006, 08:37 AM
dont shave your legs because you feel you should they wont mind eather way

and good luck with the op

CaptLex
08-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Am I selfish to be freaked about it?
Nah . . . not selfish at all. In fact, that's normal. Best of luck with the surgery. I hope it's over quickly and you're feeling a lot better soon after it's over. As for the shaving, do whatever makes you happy, but do it for you - not because of what you think others would expect.

Let us know how it all turns out. :thumbsup:

bi_weird
08-29-2006, 09:16 AM
ewww don't shave. Do what works for you. They're doctors: they're used to dealing with different things and still working normally.
Best of luck with your surgery!

mistunderstood
08-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Dont shave. As long as the hair is not on the space they are working on it should be ok. Good luck.

Casey Morgan
08-29-2006, 10:08 AM
You're not selfish to be freaked out about it. I lost the big toe on my right foot early last year. (Well, I didn't so much lose it as the doctor thought I had a much better chance of not waking up dead without it.) It was weird to look at the place where my toe had been. It took me a little while to get comfortable with it actually.

Here's hoping all goes well with the surgery. And be sure to follow your doctor's instructions for after surgery care. It can make a world of difference in your recovery.

kittypw GG
08-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Not necessary to shave. Trust me the surgery crew has seen it all and really don't care unless it's quite unusual. A person with hairy legs? not that freaky and unmentionable. Your mom is the one being selfish. She doesn't want to be embarassed if someone puts two and two together. I struggle with this kind of selfishness sometimes. It is hard to separate yourself from the ones you love and let them be who they want to be. It is nice that you considered your mom's feelings by asking for input but if you decided not to shave then don't shave. Gently remind her that you love her and you are your own person and your actions or decisions do not reflect on her. We all are individuals and are judged on our own merrit.

Good luck with the surgery, I doubt that you will even miss that little toe.
Kitty

Evert
08-29-2006, 02:21 PM
If you don't want it, don't do it. And if it's necessary, they wil say it to you. It is not possible that you are the first one in the hospital with hairy legs! :P

Good luck on you surgery! :thumbsup:

Taylor105
08-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys. I talked to my mom last night and said I wasn't shaving them. She said "we don't have a razor that couldn't mow through that forest anyway". lol So today is my pre-op appointment and tomorrow is the big day. By this time tomorrow I will have one less digit!! Yikes!! Taylor

Kate Simmons
08-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Hi Taylor, I hope all goes well and everything turns out okay. I did tell you you are a handsome guy, right?:happy: Ericka Kay

Taylor105
08-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks sweetheart. :) I don't think you had told me that. I like the compliment though. :love: Taylor

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Hope your surgery went well, Taylor. And no you're not strange for being freaked out by it. I was a bit freaked out before my knee surgery and they weren't even removing anything -- although I did know it was going to leave a 4-inch scar.

As far as shaving -- I had shaved legs for my knee surgery and painted toenails afterwards for the follow-up visits (admittedly a metrosexual bronze color) and no one ever said anything. My aunt was a nurse and trust me, it takes far stranger stuff for them to even raise an eyebrow.

Felix
09-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi Taylor hope everything went well for ya hun :D xx