PDA

View Full Version : Girl Name Hinting!

Clare
08-31-2006, 08:44 AM
I share an office with a girl who talks all day about her life's woes. But today she mentioned she wanted to change her name as it has caused her so much grief all her life.

So I took the opportunity to mention that I was interested in changing my name to a traditional girl's name. That got her attention and we chatted about the pro's and con's of having a name of the opposite sex. Another girl joined the conversation and both of them began to try and figure out the REAL reason why I wanted a girls name and I said I just liked the sound and meaning of the name I had in mind. I never actually told them that I wanted CLARE as my real name!

It was kinda surreal talking about a name I use daily here in the forum! And I do actually refer to myself as CLARE in real life on a regular basis. I went through a period early this year where I was on the verge of officially changing my first two names (but not my birth surname). So I guess today's chat was like sounding out other peoples opinions on the issue.

Gosh, am I getting too 'open' with discussions like these? Don't wanna give myself away inadvertantly - or do I?

eleventhdr
08-31-2006, 09:33 AM
What's so terrible wrong with that!

So you want to take on your name that you would really rather have instead Clare there is nothing wrong wiht this if and when that is what you really do so desire.

Clare is a lovely name.

I would take on my femm name if and when it was ever so permitted myself I think my is very nice as well
Suzy Ann is it.

Oh well
You can still use your given surname just as well when it is apporiate hmmm!

Jay Suzy!

Calliope
08-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Gosh, am I getting too 'open' with discussions like these? Don't wanna give myself away inadvertantly - or do I?

Only you know what sorta social politics govern your workplace. If your job is like most, scuttlebutt is not retractable - so imagine everything you say gets heard by the person who signs the paychecks. Good luck, Clare is a wonderful name.

SherriePall
08-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Actually, Clare, I have known a couple of older gentlemen whose was first name was Clare, but spelled differently like Claire or something. They were all of Irish descent, too.

KarenSusan
08-31-2006, 11:26 AM
I would have been great to have been named gender neutral.
I have known men named Leslie, Kim, Ashley and even Shirley.

It would be great to be mistaken for a girl, sight unseen.:D

pinkshelly
08-31-2006, 11:57 AM
leslie nielson (funny guy), Carol o'conner (archie bunker), marion wayne (john wayne). just to name a few.
Huggs, Shelly.

Siobhan Marie
08-31-2006, 12:49 PM
I do actually refer to myself as CLARE in real life on a regular basis.

Clare, I do exactly the same thing to the point when someone calls me by my real name I have to really concerntrate sometimes.

:hugs: Anna x

Georgette
08-31-2006, 12:52 PM
leslie nielson (funny guy), Carol o'conner (archie bunker), marion wayne (john wayne). just to name a few.
Huggs, Shelly.

Actually it was marion Morrison,just wanted to get it rightLOL:heehee:

AprilMae
08-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Claire Chennault. Leader of the "Flying Tigers" in WWII.

Maddie
08-31-2006, 02:38 PM
april you beatme to it with Ceneral Cheunalt great man with forsight

Deborah
08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Go for it Claire. :hugs:

Sarah Rabbit
08-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Someone hit me with that Idea not long ago. The more I think about it the more it appeals to me..Maybe some day I will have the courage..It would make for some interesting conversation:D

Hey Clare, if you do, all the Kudos to you:hugs:

Sarah R. :bunny:

Clare
09-01-2006, 08:49 AM
... there are many men with what are normally considered female names.

Here is Oz, we had a rich businessman named KERRY Packer. A current politician is named KIM Beazley. When you think about it, there are many well known people with dual gender names, so I guess it's not all that unusual.

The difference for me is close friends and family knowing and questioning why the change to such obvious girl names as CLARE and BETHANY (my second girl name).

Tbh, I didn't know there were many men named with a variant of Clare.

Oh well, you can still use your given surname just as well when it is apporiate hmmm!Yes, my natural surname sounds good with my femme names of CLARE BETHANY .......

AprilMae
09-02-2006, 08:30 AM
april you beatme to it with Ceneral Cheunalt great man with forsight
That we even know who he is speaks volumes.:o

keydup2
09-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Clare,I feel your pain.

Deborah
09-02-2006, 01:30 PM
That we even know who he is speaks volumes.:o

Commander for the Flying Tigers (American squadron fighting in China against the Japanese during WW2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Chennault