PDA

View Full Version : a soldier's girl

ty7
09-01-2006, 12:09 PM
hey yall, i'm pretty new to this site and i'm actually on the wrong side (im ftm) but i saw this wonderful movie a couple months ago called soldier's girl. its very emotionally deep and insightful, but also very tragic. i don't know if many of you can relate or not to the situation, but it's worth watching even if to view the emotional side of the mtf. just a sidebar, its about a military man that falls for a male crossdresser and their journey together. if you decide to check it out, i hope you like it

Karren H
09-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the headsup!! Sounds interesting. Where did you see it? Television (what network) or video?

Love Karren

ty7
09-01-2006, 12:25 PM
i saw it on video, i think it was a made for hbo or showtime movie or something like that...i'm not sure if you can get it at a regular movie store, i know in my small town you can't..but i subscribe to blockbuster online movie rental and that's where i got it. hope you get to catch it!

Kieron Andrew
09-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Amazon have been selling it for years if this is the film you mean Ty its an amazing film, it is well worth watching Karen as Ty says

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000JD29M?v=glance

ty7
09-01-2006, 12:44 PM
yeah i am sure you can probably find it on amazon since you can basically find anything on that site haha

Karren H
09-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks TY and Kieron....I'm sure I can find it. Its keeping the wife from finding out that I found it. Lol. I do like to colect TG related videos and usually pick them up locally from friends. And since my wife pays the VISA card bill....ordering online (unless I can pay with a money order) isn't a good option... A pain for sure but that's life. Hehehe. Thanks again!! :):):)

Love Karren

Wendy me
09-01-2006, 01:48 PM
i saw it a few times runs on showtime from time to time .... well worth waching .....

kateyliz
09-01-2006, 01:50 PM
The film is made from the real life experiences of T girl Calpernia Adams and you can read some about it on her website. Just googlee her name. Hugs, Kathy

Sejd
09-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Sounds great Ty
will look for it on Netflix
Sejd

ty7
09-01-2006, 02:36 PM
karren, i'm not the type that advocates "lying" but if you were to buy the movie from amazon it would not show the title...i think it would just say amazon...which is hideable because they sell numerous other items

DonnaT
09-01-2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.calpernia.com/

Calpernia Addams is/was the soldiers girl.

vbcdgrl
09-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Just a warning, this is a true story and it does not have a happy ending.

Vikki

Karren H
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
karren, i'm not the type that advocates "lying" but if you were to buy the movie from amazon it would not show the title...i think it would just say amazon...which is hideable because they sell numerous other items

Good point TY! But my wife would ask what that was and if I told her it was something else then tecnhically I'd be lying. Otherwise if I just acquired it and didn't tell her and she didn't ask then it wouldn't? Lol. I'm so confused. Hehehe

Love Karren

ty7
09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
you're right vikki, like i said, its very tragic...but insightful.

karren, well technically either way you would be being deceitful haha which if you checked a thesaurus, i'm sure it would be under lie or lying haha

Karren H
09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
you're right vikki, like i said, its very tragic...but insightful.

karren, well technically either way you would be being deceitful haha which if you checked a thesaurus, i'm sure it would be under lie or lying haha

We engineers can't even spell thasasauras let alone use one! Hehehe

So I'll take your word for it! :)

Love Karren

Julogden
09-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I rented this movie on DVD from Netflix, and liked it so much I bought it.

Lee Pace, the actor who plays Calpernia Addams does a great job, and is a good example of how good a tall girl can look, as he's 6'2", and not TG in real life.

Of course, he had a team of makeup artists and great prosthetics, but he still had to provide the attitude that's needed to pull it off, as well as the acting talent.

A definite must if you like TG-themed movies, but as others have said, not a happy ending.

Carol:hugs:

CheriTV2006
09-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Ty,
Yeah, this film run some bells.
As an admirer, in my college days 20 years back, I dated/roomated with some TS dancers. I realized that they had not had any previous romantic relationships compared to my level of sincerity involved when I dated them. I could definitely relate to the soldier: beginning dating a ts, alternative lifestyle acceptance, passing issues when out, partners working out of a club, etc. I did not care what was down there, these honeys were gorgeous! And I probably had the best time in my life. Somewhere back there I remember the saying, "Once you date queens, you can't stop." I miss them, hope they are o.k.
On the flipside, I got 2 dates as Jo-Jo, after my 1996 divorce, online during my AOL days. One one-nighter and one call-back (just make that a 3-night stand...LOL). Oh my stars...was that an acid test!
Anyway, a great movie (I have the dvd) though tragic. I can relate to the military setting 'cause I had alternative experiences in my four years of military school in my youth, got in trouble 1 year for it also. Another alternative related movie is "Dress Grey." Hugs, Cheri.

Rachel Morley
09-01-2006, 10:23 PM
This is an awesome TG movie. Both Marla and I loved it. We rented it from Netflix but you can also just go out and get from Blockbuster.

Here's the Blockbuster link:
http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/DisplayMovieSpecialOffers.action?channel=Movies&subChannel=sub&movieID=126806&displayBoxArt=true

Here's the Internet Movie Data Base link on it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324013/

angelfire
09-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Karren, I have 2 suggestions you can do without lying. You can buy it off amazon on the credit card, but buy something else with it, and then if she asks, just tell her the other thing and leave out the details of the other.

Or, if you have your own bank account, you could set up a Pay-pal account, and buy the video off a site that accepts it (or e-bay maybe). Pay-pal lets you use funds to buy online using a bank account, and not necissarily a visa.

Kellicd848
09-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the information. I have found this movie is carried by my local Blockbuster store.
Katy

Siobhan Marie
09-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Having read all of the posts and the article, I want to buy it, have found it on Amazon UK on region 1 DVD, have added it to my wish list and will buy it when I have the money to do so.

:hugs: Anna x

KateLongman27
09-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Having read all of the posts and the article, I want to buy it, have found it on Amazon UK on region 1 DVD, have added it to my wish list and will buy it when I have the money to do so.

:hugs: Anna x

I haven't heard of this but reading about it and imdb'ing it. It sounds interesting, Since we're on films how about The Crying Game? That's a pretty good film.

sandra-leigh
09-02-2006, 09:59 AM
i saw this wonderful movie a couple months ago called soldier's girl. its very emotionally deep and insightful, but also very tragic.

Shameless plug:

Members of Masquerade.ca (Winnipeg) can borrow this movie from the Masquerade library for free.