PDA

View Full Version : Femmophil

Joanie
09-02-2006, 08:33 AM
I encountered this term on the web awhile back, although a Google search doesn't turn it up; the creater of the terrm Femmophil used to explain why he crossdressed. He was a married man who loved his wife, adored women and feminine things and thus crossdressed as part of his love of the feminine.
Being married, I could readily identify with this explanation.

In thinking this over, I think there is much truth to this term for many of us. Think of football fans and how they love to wear their team colors, logos, hats, adorn their cars with flags, etc. Clearly, they aren't THE tream but are expressing their love for whatever team they follow. Hence, for myself and I am sure other crossdressers but not all, my wearing a skirt and top this morning as I enter these words can be equated similarly to team fans, although I am sure the most macho among would take offense at this notion as they wouldnt' make the connection. I enjoy women's shoes, skirts, dresses, makeup, etc. because I deeplly appreciate feminine attributes in women and occasionally wish to mimic them as part of my overall state of being smitten with women in the abstract, my wife in particlar. Hope this makes sense, girls!

Joy Carter
09-02-2006, 08:44 AM
I have heard the term before but can't recall where. Did you try "Wakapedia" it has many modern terms defined not found in a dictionary. I do like your post and your reasoning.:D

Joanie
09-02-2006, 08:50 AM
This is very similar to how my husband explained his need to crossdress. He doesn't want to become a woman, he simply has a feminine side and wants to explore it occasionally in the privacy of our home. He doesn't express a desire to go out in public or pass as a female. I loved the analogy of the football fan. That made alot of sense to me.

I feel exactly the same way as he does. I am scared to death of going out in public, a hammerhead shark has a better chance of "passing" than I do, despite the fact that I am not six feet five or something. It's my male walk.

As for what I wrote, with my wife out of town and me wearing a skirt, heels and pretty top, it's amazing how much this clears my mind as to what this is all about!

I have heard the term before but can't recall where. Did you try "Wakapedia" it has many modern terms defined not found in a dictionary. I do like your post and your reasoning.:D

Thanks, I did look on "Wakapedia" as you cleverly call it but didn't hit the term there. I think it was on someone's website I found by searching but perhaps the site has closed down.

Joanie
09-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Actually I don't think my husband is scared to go out in public... he just doesn't have the desire to pass as a woman. It may be just that it is enough for him to "feel" like a woman, no matter where he is. I suppose if he could pass 100% he might enjoy going out, but I don't think it is fear driven as much as vanity driven. :D

Mine stems more from the fear of being found out by people at work, church, the neighborhood, etc. and them thinking something about my wife that is totally false--like she is married to a man who is really Gay and must be cheating on her, these are the thoughts they most likely would have. My wife knows I dress and we have a "don't ask, don't tell" type policy, as when she returns from this weekend, I will not tell her something like my Merle Norman Rose Sorbet lipstick broke Saturday morning (the lipstick actually broke at the base in the tube) and I need another one. My fear is false and malicious gossip directed at her and her being hurt.

Has your husband ever had a professional makeover done? I mustn't be too scared as I have had those done in private at Merle Norman out of town, not in the department store, wish I could!!!!!!! Would love a makeover from Estee Lauder!!!!!

andrea6er
09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
The term femmephile, is often used in the book My Husband Betty, it describes as has been written above how a lot of us feel, although I do get to go out, and love every minute of the feeling of liberation which that involves. But enough, who needs another label being attached to them, you are who you are and as long as you hurt no one and are happy within yourself, do what you damn well please.:heehee:

Calliope
09-02-2006, 12:27 PM
When I lived in Northampton ('Lesbianville USA' as the National Enquirer once called it http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1589/is_2005_March_1/ai_n11852142 ), there was this CD everyone saw each weekend.

Old sad and disheveled, he was not trying to pass in a million years. As I was told, he lost his dearly beloved wife of 40 years - and each Saturday, he would put on her clothes and 'take her out on the town.'

Is that sweet, or what?

tekla west
09-02-2006, 12:28 PM
I got 46 hits on Google with the "femophile" spelling.

Wenda
09-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Old sad and disheveled, he was not trying to pass in a million years. As I was told, he lost his dearly beloved wife of 40 years - and each Saturday, he would put on her clothes and 'take her out on the town.'

Is that sweet, or what?

That's sad. Kind of sweet, yes, but to me, more sad. Poor lonely fellow.

keydup2
09-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Thank You for it has finally been expressed,for us all.You did good.

kwebb
09-02-2006, 12:39 PM
The term (FP) was apparently coined in the 1960s by Virginia Prince to describe another word for Tranvestites of heterosexual persuasion.

She also used the acronym FP = femme personator.

Personally I never cared for the term, sounded too clinical like they were trying to diagnose some disorder. Which, ironically, of course, from time to time is what I think this is.

QZ2
09-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Joannie, no matter how you spell it I think you hit the nail on the head (for me as well) with your definition. I too love women, their look, taste and smell. If I can emulate those things, even a little, it gives me thrills and I feel is the major reason for my crossdressing. Thanks for your words, I couldn't have said it better.

Susie

Julogden
09-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Actually, Virginia Prince's original term was "femmiphile" and that has been incorrectly quoted as femmophile and other variations, but Virginia is the originator, and I'm old enough to remember it, darn it.

Carol:hugs: