PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, buying makeup at MAC is expensive!

JenniferMint
09-02-2006, 05:12 PM
M45026 Studio Finish Concealer: $17
M3CW33 Satin Lipstick: $16.50
M44702 Studio Stick Foundation: $33
M22005 Powder Blush: $21
M87001 Shader: $27
M3LC01 Cheek/Face Brush: $38.50
M87T01 Powder Blush: $41

Subtotal: $194
Total with tax: $218

I bought foundation, concealer, blush, lipstick, and the brushes required to apply them.

Any idea how much all this would have cost at a drug store?

MAC has great customer service, though. I went in (en femme) not knowing exactly what I wanted, talked to one of the girls there, she sat me down in a chair and tried different makeups on me, and figured it all out for me.

Jennaie
09-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Yes, it will empty your pockets in a hurry.

EricaCD
09-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Expensive but worth it. The products are great, and as you noted the shopping experience is simply wonderful.

JenniferMint
09-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Expensive but worth it. The products are great, and as you noted the shopping experience is simply wonderful.

Now that I know what to get, though, I wonder if I may be better off shopping at a drugstore the next time.

Rachel Morley
09-02-2006, 05:57 PM
It may be expensive......but it's the best! (IMO) I swear by MAC foundation.

Now that I know what to get, though, I wonder if I may be better off shopping at a drugstore the next time.
Better off shopping at the drugstore?....well for lipstick and mascara, maybe.....but personally, I wouldn't do it for anything else. You have a product that has been recommended by makeup experts, you're happy with the way it looks on you, OK it might be expensive, but it's good, and of course you can't get MAC makeup at the drugstore so why would you want to switch to something else? :2c:

renee k
09-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Jennifer,

I agree with the other girls here, MAC may be expensive but compared to other makeup lines. It's far and away better. Just look at the color pigments in there blushes and eye shadows, you'll see what I mean. Your not using as much product as you would with other makeup products. Even the foundation covers alot better. As for customer service, I've always found the SA's very helpful and friendly.

Huggs, Renee

EmilyM
09-03-2006, 07:57 AM
The MAC girls where I shop have always been so wonderful to me. The manager draws step by step eye charts for me including which brushes to use for each color. Several of the SA at the counter told me that they love working with CDs because they dont get the oppertunity very often except for halloween. They help me picking out lipsticks and matches them with lip glass to give my lips a super shine. The pic in the avatar was done first by a Merle Norman artist with my MAC make up. I wanted false eye lashes and called the MAC counter and was told to come in and she would be happy to do them. Once there, she said let me play with and enhance your make-up some. She did an outstanding job. There was a huge difference between what she did an MN artist did.

Yes, MAC is expensive and I have spent a lot of money there this summer. I was honest with them and they have been so accepting of me and treat me like girl even though I buy most of my stuff en drab. The manager, who is a hottie told me "it is so much fun being a girl, wearing the soft, pretty clothes and wearing make-up. You will get addicted to MAC." I am addicted to MAC and now want to train as a MAC artist. I even called the MAC hotline at customer service and complimented the MAC girls by name that help me. Come to find out they get a copy of the compliment and a copy goes to the DM too.

tifftg
09-03-2006, 01:06 PM
MAC is the best, I have shopped in their stores in many different cities, in drab and enfemme and am always treated well. Lots of helpful advice and very friendly associates, both male and female. While I love their cosmetics, I usually go to Sephora for brushes to save a little. Their website is very helpful as well.

tiffany

kathy gg
09-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Money well spent if you ask me.

You get what you pay for, and when you want to present as best as possible, a good foundation/concealer/powder and tools to apply it are as necessary as a good wig.

That is my feelings at least....

The MAC brushes last FOREVER...my hubby's brush set is over 10 years old and the brush hair is as new looking as the set in the store. I have cheaped out for myself from time to time to buy make-up brushes at the drug store and find the bristles fall out , lose shape, and dont' seem to perform as well.

I agre with Angle though, some things {trendy things}} like lipstick, mascara, and even nail polish can be bought for little $...but the relaly important stuff ...that is where the big bucks need to go.

Nothing sadder when you see obvious beard shadow on someone wearing poor quality beard cover....

tifftg
09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
You do get what you pay for, quality costs.

Fallen Angel
09-03-2006, 05:29 PM
you only get waht you pay for,They are one of the few companies around that will acualy work with us gurls and i havent had one bad experiance those girls really go the extra mile.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse69
09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Now I know not to go to MAC because it's expensive. I'm happy with Revlon Colorstay lipstick and some foundation from Walmart.

Adrienne Heels
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
You can't compare department store makeup (or service) with drugstore makeup. There is NO comparison

Michelle I
09-03-2006, 11:01 PM
I have been using Merle Norman and have been very happy with my results. Is MAC better than Merle Norman? Merle Norman is also very expensive but they have been very helpful when I needed help.

Melissa

Barb Valentine
09-03-2006, 11:03 PM
But nobody said being a girl was cheap