PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and jobs

AmandaM
09-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I was wondering if you have long hair and if it is problematic, at work, etc. Especially for those over 35. I was thinking about growing it out, and using a ponytail when at work. I work in the computer industry. Any thoughts?

Billijo49504
09-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi, I work in a car factory, and if your hair is below your collar, you have to have it under a hat. So I keep it short. In 60 some drive up's, I'll be retired. But I'll keep it short, as the top is really rhin...BJ

Barb Valentine
09-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Sorry I can't help you
I don't have any hair
(OK a little but not much)

sandra-leigh
09-03-2006, 12:38 AM
I was wondering if you have long hair and if it is problematic, at work, etc. Especially for those over 35. I was thinking about growing it out, and using a ponytail when at work. I work in the computer industry. Any thoughts?

It depends partly what kind of work you do in the computer industry. It's more likely to be of concern to someone if you are meeting customers. If you aren't, then it's just part of the "computer programmers are weird" culture.

It isn't always a problem for those who do meet customers, but consulting firms especially (and finance firms) tend to get very strict ideas about how their male employees should look. 20 years ago, when I was involved in some consulting, the rules in some companies were strict enough that a male was never to remove his jacket at a client site or where a client might see. I don't know if it is still like that.

Do some of the guys around you have earrings? (Some of the guys where I work do, and I doubt greatly that they are CDs). Or an even better test: do any of them have obvious piercings of other kinds? If Yes, then hair in a ponytail is not likely to be a problem unless a safety one (don't want it caught in the fans of hardware you are repairing, for example.)

femboi (san diego)
09-03-2006, 12:41 AM
I work in a warehouse, so there is no dress code other than no flip flops or open toe type shoes for safety reasons.

I have long hair and the problem I have is that it gets very messy with all of the large fans blowing.

Janet Marie
09-03-2006, 01:15 AM
semi retired a few years ago, but had started to let my hair grow before that. Caught a few comments, but as long as I kept it neat and in a tail, no one really cared

sandra-leigh
09-03-2006, 02:38 AM
It's more likely to be of concern to someone if you are meeting customers. If you aren't, then it's just part of the "computer programmers are weird" culture.

As a datapoint, I'm in the computer field in an office environment, without particularily much interaction with people. I have had my hair down past my shoulders, and my bangs down to about the end of my nose. (It wasn't for crossdressing purposes: I just tend towards long hair.) My hair length has never created problems in my job, and I have seen a couple of guys around the office with ponytails.

Really, no-one notices my hair (as long as it is well-kempt): several times only one person at work has noticed. The exception is if I do a fairly drastic cut, in which even I get several people telling me I look much better with the shorter hair.

KewTnCurvy GG
09-03-2006, 02:41 AM

Puleeeeeeeeeeeeeze!
This is 2006!
I've worked at hospital and universities; small agencies and medical offices.
Never noticed it was a problem.
I think it's about your overall appearance.
Meaning you need to be neat and clean, professional looking.
Beyond that NO ONE GIVES A RIP!
Kew

Robertacd
09-03-2006, 03:04 AM
I wear a pony tail to work everyday. Hasen't seemed to matter much in the 17 years I have worked for this employer.

Tessa Wire
09-03-2006, 04:55 AM
I work in a tire manufaturiting plant, and the policy is, that if you have long hair you must keep it up, in a pony tail, or under a hat. I am 44 years old, and have started growing out my own hair, I have it tied up in a pony tail, for 12 hours a day, while at work. Although everyone around me has noticed, no one has said a word.
So what I guess I am saying is that if you wish to grow long hair, check the company policy, and go for it. :hugs:

CassieW
09-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Nobody will really care. My hair is pretty much all one length and about halfway down my back. I keep it in a pony tail at work so its not in my face. I guess what I am saying is if you want it long, grow it.
Huggs,
Cassie

Kimberly
09-03-2006, 06:46 AM
I work in the computer industry.
And you think long hair is a problem in that industry?? It's not like you're handling heavy macinary!! (Are you...?)

Anyway - I had no problems while at college... just a lot of girls going, "How long are you going to grow it!" No one forced me to cut it short, and you shouldn't have that. If you do, it's sexual discrimination.

Angie G
09-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi Amanda I'm thinking keep it neat and clean on peoblem :hugs:
Angie G.

Francine
09-03-2006, 08:11 AM
What hair?

(with out the wig, I sort of look like this >> :happy: )

Francine

Lawren
09-03-2006, 08:11 AM
By law you can neither be hired nor fired beause of the length of your hair however, on some jobs it is definitely a work hazard so you have to keep it "donr up" in some manner to reduce the risk. In most jobs a pony tail will suffice but some, such as food service, it has to be fully contained by a hairnet.

Lilith Moon
09-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I have had hair down to my shoulders for the last thirty years. At one point it reached my waist. Friends&family regarded it as a sort of mild eccentricity, with rebellious hippy undertones. Except for my mother, who detested it and told me so continually, even from her death bed. I believe that it did have an impact on my career, although nothing was ever said and I'm sure it would have been denied anyway.

Now I work for myself and there are no problems, except that it is all falling out and I now resemble Riff-Raff in the Rocky Horror show. I now have several wigs, but none of them are as convincing as my own once-beautiful long wavy hair :(

sandra-leigh
09-03-2006, 10:51 AM
By law you can neither be hired nor fired beause of the length of your hair

Any posting that talks about law should be sure to qualify it by jurisdiction. For example I noticed a posting this morning from someone from India.

Bobbie cd
09-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I have worked as a software developer for 26 years.
I had a ponytail when I applied for the job, still have it,
have never had to cut my hair or caught any flak about it whatsoever. Most places it will not matter, but it might be safest for you to first of all check your employee handbook (if your firm has such a thing), and/or talk to someone in human resources to double check. Once you have done your "due diligence" on the matter and everything comes up :thumbsup: , then I say "Go for it, and enjoy!" :D

Jodi
09-03-2006, 04:10 PM
OHSA requirements set the standard for any job. If one is working around any type of equipment or machine, the employer can set standards for safety reasons. This usually includes, no loose sleeves, no shirt tails out, no long or hoop earrings, and no long, loose hair. This goes for male and female. For hair, please note that I said long, "loose" hair. No problem with long hair, but it must be tied up and away in some manner.

Have any of you seen what happens if long hair is caught up in a drillpress or the belt and pulley of a machine?

Jodi

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I doubt it would be a problem -- particularly if you're a programmer.

But employers can dictate dress codes and you can be fired for not following one. So if in doubt, check with your employee manual, or with HR.

ErikaLeigh
09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I own my own business, and deal with many different walks of people, from conservative christians, to lawyers, to real estate professionals, and blue collar workers. NONE of them have a problem with the fact my hair is almost touching my behind, and if anyone does have a problem with it, its most likely their problem, not mine. I keep my hair washed and in a neat pony tail most of the time, so grooming is a big part of it.

Lisa Golightly
09-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Got my own company... I'm 38 with long dyed hair and earrings... If anyone has a problem they can go elsewhere :)

Sky
09-05-2006, 01:39 PM
I was wondering if you have long hair and if it is problematic, at work, etc.

Hey, it worked for Joe Dirt. But stay away from the goatee and the sideburns. :heehee:

Caitlintgsd
09-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Personally I just got mine loped off yesterday. I have job interviews this week and it had way too much volume. But I did get a cute (so everybody tells me) short lady's style.

Only my gay hairdresser knows fur sure.

Stephanie Miller
09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I have not only worked in the field for many years but have been in the corporate management end also. Believe me when I say - both (for the most part) areas have extremely different levels of "appreciation" for men in long hair. I enjoy getting in and helping work on jobsites - even when in management positions, so I recieve the same treatment as other "blue collar" workers do at those times. During those times architects, city inspectors, and other "white collar" workers have no clue what possition I hold.
Yes, I myself have had shoulder length hair, as well as short above the ears hair cut, in both positions.
While in the field the working comrads don't give a diddly, and neither does the management. The difference is that the working comrads know and expect you to reamin in your current possition and the managment will "overlook" you for management positions because you don't have the "managerial profile". While in the corporate enviroment long hair makes it really hard to obtaining respect from all the "higher up" managers/owners (and majority of workers). I've been behind closed doors and have heard the talk behind the scenes from both sides about others being looked at for promotions - and I want to beat the *#!& out of other managers that are so closed minded. Unfair? Damn tootin' is it going to change? It's changing - yes, but we'll not be alive to see total acceptance. :(

Sejd
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Growing your hair out is a great idea. I am doing just that, and I am in a similar field. Nothing beats real hair. Just look at any girl with a wig. I take two tablets of cod liver oil every day and it makes my hair shiny and silky soft. Also, when you hav your own long hair, you can style it in many ways.
you go girl
Sejd

Charleen
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
My hairs has been growing for over 6 years now, and I wear it in a pony tail most times unless I'm doing my ghost thing at work. The thing is that I do colonial re-enacting, and the long hair is a natural anyway, so the 'tail works for that, and when I put it down, and let it go wild, it al;so works as it gives me a creepy look when I'm dressed as a victorian giving ghost tours or playing a spirit of a convict who got hanged in 1908.
If your dress code doesn't prohibit it, as David Crosby put it aptly, "Let your freak flag fly!":D Love and xxxx, C&L

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-06-2006, 03:11 AM
While in the corporate enviroment long hair makes it really hard to obtaining respect from all the "higher up" managers/owners (and majority of workers).

Although I've got a friend who's a high-powered consultant with long hair -- but he also always wears a suit, which probably evens things out, especially in the high-tech field where suits are uncommon. And it may help that he's got curly bushy hair, so it does make for a bit of a dramatic look (vs. straight hair).

Incidently, my friend says there's a whole "fraternity" of long-haired guys in suits running around out there.

JeanneF
09-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Although I've got a friend who's a high-powered consultant with long hair -- but he also always wears a suit, which probably evens things out, especially in the high-tech field where suits are uncommon. And it may help that he's got curly bushy hair, so it does make for a bit of a dramatic look (vs. straight hair).

Incidently, my friend says there's a whole "fraternity" of long-haired guys in suits running around out there.

That's pretty much how I am at work. My hair is longer, and I wear earrings, but with the suit and a little bit of stubble, it looks pretty cool. And I've found that most clients actually like working with a guy who doesn't dress like a Young Republican. Kind of a "well, if he dresses like that, and has this job, he probably knows what the hell he's doing" thing.

Sonia_cd
09-06-2006, 01:21 PM
That's pretty much how I am at work. My hair is longer, and I wear earrings, but with the suit and a little bit of stubble, it looks pretty cool. And I've found that most clients actually like working with a guy who doesn't dress like a Young Republican. Kind of a "well, if he dresses like that, and has this job, he probably knows what the hell he's doing" thing.

Thats really interesting! I am an attorney and have always wondered what my clients think of my long hair and pierced ears. Never thought it might be a point of strength. Thanks for broadening my perceptions.

Sonia

Serena
09-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I've seen at least two guys at work with hair longer and less well-kept than mine. And by that I mean it doesn't look like they take care of it the best way or that they comb or brush it out everyday. One I saw at Target, and the other was at a small music store, which isn't very likely to have many dress or hair rules (I think the guy was wearing flip-flops too). But it goes to show that if they can get a job with that kind of hair, I'm sure there's at least a couple more places out there where there's no problem. I would imagine that if you're working for a restaraunt and you work with food, that you'd have to keep it up, but that's kind of expected

Lee51964
09-10-2006, 11:27 AM
beacust of long hair but they can make you put it up or wear a hair net

AmandaM
09-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Thats really interesting! I am an attorney and have always wondered what my clients think of my long hair and pierced ears. Never thought it might be a point of strength. Thanks for broadening my perceptions.
Sonia

My thoughts exactly. If I walk into an interview with a ponytail and a sophisticated suit, they'd think I was a computer guru. Hmmmm........

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Kind of a "well, if he dresses like that, and has this job, he probably knows what the hell he's doing" thing.

Yeah, there's a whole "I'm talented/valuable enough to get away with breaking the rules" style of dress. Most famously at IBM in the 1960s-70s, where there was a strict dress code, including being clean-shaven. But the top programmers commonly grew beards. Essentially signaling to their peers that the company considered them valuable enough to look the other way for the dress code violation, which would usually get you a serious reprimand.

DAVIDA
09-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I was a repair tec with Xerox for 5 1/2 years. I had long hairand a long ZZ Top type beard and noone ever said anything. It was a little intimidating even wearing a suit.:heehee: