PDA

View Full Version : Say what?

Emma_Forbes
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi Girls,

Are there phrases or words which you avoid using en femme because they seem too male or perhaps too harsh? Are there any differences in the vocabulary used by male and female generally in society?

I know that swearing tends to be more usual in the male domain but I wondered if there were any other examples.

Any suggestions (apart from those about me not having enough to do.....! :lol2: )?

Em

coral_s
09-04-2006, 02:43 PM
How about 'Cor - what a cracker!' ?

Lisa Golightly
09-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Not really... I'm a bit of a Kat Slater... :)

Joy Carter
09-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Can't think of any Emma but I do hear many American girls use that bar-room talk now days. I'm pretty reserved in my speech but just don't piss me off #%*&?+@@"& LOL. :D

Marla S
09-04-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't think there is a difference in vocabulary in general (except maybe for some clothes an cosmetic terms :D ). It's more a question of a good style or good behavior respectively, which is gender independent.

In Germany a common vulgar to colloquial expression of displeasure translates kind of to:

to get on so.'s (ball)bag

which is used almost equally by man and women

An attempt by some feminists to estabilsh the respective expression for women

to get on so.'s ovaries

failed so far. :rolleyes:

Which in itself is a bit typical again, cause as always it seems more easy to adopt something from the male side for woman as the other way round. Men would object if they should say: This is getting on my ovaries. :D

Rachel Morley
09-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi Emma,

This is kind of an interesting question :thinking: ...for me, whether en femme or not, I tend to use the same words and tone when I'm speaking. Which is to say I'm usually pretty polite, not very manly or have a bullish behavior or anything like that. Hummm...."are there any phrases or words which you avoid using en femme because they seem too male?".....nope....sorry, can't think of any right now. :confused:

KarenSusan
09-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Usually instead of saying "I want" (male) I would say "I'd like" or "It would be nice to have" (more feminine).

Sarah Rabbit
09-04-2006, 04:25 PM
It's not so much the 'Phrases' but the attitude. When my neice got her navel pierced, she mentioned how her friends are changing them within a month. I advised her she should wait at least 2 months before even trying to change it(6 to 12 months is recommended). My wife pulled me aside and gave me a slap on the head. Advising a female about female things may be a 'Giveaway'

Note to Sarah..Some people do not know about Sarah's existance.

Sarah R. :bunny:

Kate Simmons
09-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I dunno, Em. Have you heard some women talk these days? A lot of them don't care if they sound "feminine" or not , like asking someone (with an attitude): "Hey, You talkin' to me?" Four letter words abound at least here in the states. You gotta find male to female crossdressers to get some ladylike talk sometimes. :happy: Ericka Kay

Samantha B L
09-04-2006, 05:14 PM
When I'm enfemme I tend to use very ladylike speech.Sort of midway between secretarial and lady talk show hosts.But actually,here in the midwest where I'm from most women do use a great deal of profanity. At least when they are around their closest freinds or their SO.However, they are more constrained about this if they are in earshot of a playground full of small children or a big crowd in a supermarket or department store. Men are a lot bolder about their language in the towns and states where I've lived.I guess that it's been that way for generations,but there is a general unspoken ban on the more sexual cusswords in any kind of formal circumstance that actually seems to be eroding in the past 20 odd years. Samantha

alexis79
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
hmm, interesting topic. Since I have only been out dressed once so far, it really hasn't dawned on me as to how I would talk if spoken to by someone while enfemme. I have a very deep voice, so trying to sound female would be almost impossible. I think that I would use the same vocabulary while dressed enfemme
as I would when dressed in drab. just my :2c:

~alexis

Rebecca Petersen
09-04-2006, 05:58 PM
What surprises me, is the vocabulary that younger women use today in respect to "four letter " words. Please don't think I'm a prude, but sometimes it's a little shocking. In my younger years I spent 13 years in the building trades, so I thought I had heard and used every word imaginable, but just last Saturday evening while in an upscale restaurants womens room, I overheard a conversation between two women that would make most men blush. This by the way, is not out of the ordinary. Seems like everytime I'm in a ladies room, the ladies aren't talking like ladies. Sorry ladies, but it still shocks this old girl. That's my two cents and I won't bring this @#%&ing matter up again.
Rebecca

Calliope
09-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Are there phrases or words which you avoid using en femme because they seem too male or perhaps too harsh?

I would avoid saying things like - 'Hey, play that Guns n Roses CD again!!'

Sally24
09-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Karen has it right. A female usually requests something (may I have another soda), where a male demands it (I need another soda here). Some attitude and some phrasiology.

Sally

kathy gg
09-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Guilty as charged...when I am around my gg friends or even male friends who I know well, I can use "colorful" words. But I do know better than to talk like this around my folks {who are in their 60's} and my mom-in-law, and around people I dont' know very well, or around people who look too uptight, or around my elderes.

I play tennis and we have a lady almost 70 on our team and every now and then us younger women will start talking sex or using some inappropriate language and then we remember that we have a much older lady present. The one time I turned and apologize for using such language....she said to me "kathy, I am glad you dont' think I am an old fogey, you girls keep talking and treat me like one of you. Trust me at this age I have heard some words you probably don't even know!". So now we just treat her like one of our peers now and she thinks it is funny.

What surprises me, is the vocabulary that younger women use today in respect to "four letter " words. Please don't think I'm a prude, but sometimes it's a little shocking. In my younger years I spent 13 years in the building trades, so I thought I had heard and used every word imaginable, but just last Saturday evening while in an upscale restaurants womens room, I overheard a conversation between two women that would make most men blush. This by the way, is not out of the ordinary. Seems like everytime I'm in a ladies room, the ladies aren't talking like ladies. Sorry ladies, but it still shocks this old girl. That's my two cents and I won't bring this @#%&ing matter up again.
Rebecca