PDA

View Full Version : Cyber outing (well, nearly)

MonaSmith
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Well, I nearly got outed by my computer at work today!

Now, normally I am very careful at work, I never go to any website even remotely about crossdressing, but today I had a few spare minutes, and the person who sits next to me is away for a few days, so I thought that I would check out the Home Office intranet site and sneakily read about their transexual/transgender group. I minimised the window nice and small, checked that noboby could see it in the bottom corner of my screen and clicked on the link.

Now at this point you should understand that the Home Office internal website is dull. It is grey, lifeless and full of dull, grey, lifeless things, like forms and reports. Just so you know.

So I click on the link and suddenly a full size, rainbow coloured screen with a big banner title burst into life, filling my screen with the words TRANSGENDER AND TRANSEXUAL! Of course this happened just as my manager was walking by. I almost shattered my mouse I hit the button so hard. She didn't notice the screen, it turns out, but she did notice my almost uncontrolled laughter at my silly predicament.

So there you have it, a word of warning, ladies, stay safe, stay hidden and don't trust government websites.

P.s. I did get to go through it and am thinking of joining up. You never know?

KayleighTV_UK
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
I visited here on friday from work.. and forgot to clean the internet history..

Thought i would check here from work earlier.. only to find someone had visited the site www.confused.com...

Know it doesent sound much, but when you type "www.c" this site shows.. i wonder if anyone noticed??? lol..

Kay

Wendy me
12-20-2004, 03:31 PM
mona coumpters will do it i browed my brouthers lap top recently .........don't rember if i cleared out the temp. files.......................

MonaSmith
12-20-2004, 03:40 PM
I hadn't even thought about the history/temp files! Oh well, the Home Office have very strict rules about equal opportunities and suchlike and it was on there own intranet so I should be okay, and as I said, I might even join up to the group.

So the slow outing continues.

DonnaT
12-20-2004, 03:43 PM
So I click on the link and suddenly a full size, rainbow coloured screen with a big banner title burst into life, filling my screen with the words TRANSGENDER AND TRANSEXUAL! Of course this happened just as my manager was walking by. I almost shattered my mouse I hit the button so hard. She didn't notice the screen, it turns out, but she did notice my almost uncontrolled laughter at my silly predicament.

Poor mouse, LOL

Imagine if the site had sound and you had speakers with the volume turned up!

Julie York
12-20-2004, 03:46 PM
I had the sort of opposite thing. A pal came round to help with a computer bug...he is typing away...looks at me and raises an eyebrow..."I see you have cleared History and Temp Files" and then laughed and carried on.

MonaSmith
12-20-2004, 03:55 PM
I had the sort of opposite thing. A pal came round to help with a computer bug...he is typing away...looks at me and raises an eyebrow..."I see you have cleared History and Temp Files" and then laughed and carried on.
It's silly because at home I am security obsessed, I clear it all out and 'shread' everything, and nobody else has access to this machine. But at work, I forget all about that stuff.

AnnaMaria
12-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Mona,

That is not supprising at all. Coming froma computer geek of course. Most people worry about what is going on with their home computer but don't give a second thought to the computer that they use every day at work. That is the reason that people like me stay in business.

Most companies don't pay much attention to what their employees are doing on their network unless they have an administrator that takes care of the system. Of course I have personally gotten into the habit of clearing the history of any computer that I touch as a result of having worked on so many. But what you don't realize is that even when you clear the history and the temp files there are still traces that can be found be those of us that really know what they are doing. But it is not that often that someone will take the time to actually goto that extreme. Unless they are looking for something specific. Most of the time the people that do it are law enforcement personel that are investigating crimes. I know how to do it but have never bothered to use the knowledge because it is very time consuming and really not of much use to the average person.

I do hope that you at least look into the cd group that your company has it could trun out to be a place like this on that will help in the advancement of acceptance of people like us in the work place. Maybe in the future more companies will realize that we are a fact of life and begin to prodive places like your's .

huggs
anna

KewTnCurvy GG
12-21-2004, 01:00 PM
I hadn't even thought about the history/temp files! Oh well, the Home Office have very strict rules about equal opportunities and suchlike and it was on there own intranet so I should be okay, and as I said, I might even join up to the group.

So the slow outing continues.

Don't forget cookies, the cache, saved form information (if this applies) and saved passwords (which I'm assuming you didn't do. But these would be areas to in which to cover your tracks. :)

hugs
kew

Danielle1960
12-21-2004, 01:05 PM
I check in on these site at work all the time and have had a few close calls. The testing (electronic) requires time between test being run by me and the computer and it makes it easy to stop in a few times aday. Of course I think there might be some problem with management if the sites were known. However company policy actually has me coverd so I'm happy and carful :cool:

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays
Danielle

MonaSmith
12-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Anna,

I work for the British Government, so the network is fiercely guarded and security is paramount. We can be dissmissed for writing down our passwords. I had a look today but I found that I can't get into the places that I need to, to delete the history or temp files, or any of the ones Kew mentioned. Like I said before, I was on the government intranet so I wouldn't be in trouble for looking or joining the group, it's just that I hadn't quite realised that it would try to out me there and then.

I will hopefully get to check it out again. It looks like they have meetings and events, so it might be worth a look.

Fallen Angel
12-21-2004, 02:36 PM
thats to funny, mine was just the different I was checking this site and the owner was working with me he looked over to see what I was doing and so i showed him even went to my profile and he thought it was very neat!! he asked me if I found any friends thru here and I said every body so what can I say!!

MonaSmith
12-21-2004, 02:43 PM
You are lucky Fallen Angle 1, what do you do for a living?

I don't think that my manager would mind, as she is very lovely to me, it's the rest of the office that probably wouldn't understand. It is a big organisation but gossip spreads faster than a chain email there.

Paula A
12-21-2004, 03:18 PM
I was cought yesterday by a very sharp and cool and understanding coworker....I Think.... He is very quick... I bet he saw what I was looking at
he is the story

I have this site open at my desk in my corner cube(with the window) while Im working on paperwork etc. and I check in every so often. He is new at sales and he was asking me about a proposal he was working on. as he comes accross the snake pit, (thats what we call our sales office) I minimize the site.

I get cought up in the moment and say here just use this proposal I have here, just change the name and a couple of the details. As I clicked on my icon to open my folder what is hanging at the botton of the screen from my hidden tool bar? (which did not stay hidden). www.crossdresse.......

If I could read it plain as day I bet he did as well. Funny... NOT!

Sandra H
12-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi Girls.

Having been a CEO I could say this is what you get for using company property for private use. :D

But eh life is for living and having fun. Just take care at work.

MonaSmith
12-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi Girls.

Having been a CEO I could say this is what you get for using company property for private use. :D

But eh life is for living and having fun. Just take care at work.
Well...er....it was research....yeah, research, that's it. ;)

Fallen Angel
12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
mona i work for the local pawn shop and here the strange is expected(not us) the owner looks at a box at the corners being round glasses always half full never half empty and all things he veiws slightly off center but in this type of work you get the good bad and ugly(not us we are pretty) and it helps bring in new customers ,but to tell you the truth I give all you ladies out there koodoos for going out being your selfs and having fun just dressing up and walking out the front door is an accomplishment in its self so put on that sexy outfit and go out paint the town res for the holidays and one never knows you might even bump into the owner and get your wishes what ever they may be luv ya all fallen angle