PDA

View Full Version : Friday Shopping by Accident

Phyliss
09-07-2006, 05:40 PM
....So I had this service call work to do today in Windham N.H. which is a bit of a ride for me but the customer knew me and my work. Apparently they had moved from the local area and weren't interested in anybody else. Of course you know I added a bit of $$$ to the bill for the extra travel. Anyhow, since I was near to the Rockingham Mall I figured I'd do a bit of shopping if time permitted. Well, the service call didn't take as long as I had planned so I had some extra time.
I had figured on stopping into the Lane Bryant there just to pay my charge card, :heehee: (yeah right) ended up with two long sleeve "T" s and a pair of size E stockings. Only comment, "Thank you for shopping at lane Bryant" Noticed a Lady Grace store there and since I'm on the lookout for an OBG I stopped in to see what I could find. Ordered one, since they didn't have my size in stock. This is becoming fun, so I kept the ball rolling by wandering through the Fredricks of Hollywood store. Nothing there I wanted. ;)
Then I rememberd that somebody here just recently mentioned Cache, so I checked the store directory in the middle of the mall and wonder of wonders they have one there. Oh goody I figured, here we go. Did a bit of window shopping and walked in. Greeted with the usual "Hi, can I help you?" rather than say "Oh, just looking" I answered, "Looking around to see if something jumps out at me and says 'take me home' " The S.A. replied something to the effect that if I needed any assistance she would be happy to help.
I'm wearing my F.B. jeans and a light checkered shirt, and carrying my "man bag"/ purse, plus I've got some light foundation makeup on with a light brown mascara, stuff I've been wearing for about two months with no suspicion at home, ( trust me if there was any question to be asked, it WOULD be asked. So I guess I might as well have been carrying a sign. Didn't bother me though. Looked at some tops and skirts and spotted this one: http://www.cache.com/shopdetails.asp?cat=0200&sku=01031A12451252 and fell in love.
By this time the S.A. had come back to me and mentioned that there were some nice tops to go with it, and showed me a few. I mentioned the I was looking for something in long sleeve and not too revealing in the chest area. She showed me some that would work well with it in the proper color match. As I stood there looking and thinking she asked if I would like to try the items on. (Gee, I didn't have to ask, this shopping thing is getting to be way too easy) Of course I accepted her offer, and she lead me to a changing room with my items. I had picked a size 12 skirt, (the largest they had, figuring that it wouldn't fit and I could get out of there without spending too much money) The size 12 turned out to be a bit large, and when the S.A. checked on me she said I should try the size 10, so she got me one. Fit much better, (Oh darn, I may have to buy this) The tops were a bit too snug for my liking. She did find a real pretty "peasant style" blouse but the fabric had no stretch in it and felt a bit tight across the shoulders.
Ended up getting only the skirt. But not being too disheartened, I had a plan for later. Had to stop and "measure" a job that I need to take care of in the next few weeks. After that I had some more free time. On my way home I had to pass through the Lee Traffic Circle, and just north of it there is a small strip mall with a Dots store. I'd been in there about two weeks ago and didn't see anything I wanted. This time I figured I had the skirt so, at least, I had a reason to stop in again to find a top that would work with it. In I go carrying my "man bag" / purse. Wandered around looking for something the went with it. Nobody paid any attention to me for about five minutes, then a nice lady by the name of Jennifer approached me and said, "If there is anything you need, please see me and I'll try to help." I knew right then that she "knew" and amazingly it didn't bother me one bit. Felt rather good in fact. No embarrassment or fumbling for the right words, just a matter of fact approach to a customer. Wonderful sense of freedom. Anyhow I mentioned that I had purchased a skirt in an eggplant color and was looking for a top to go with it. I told her where I had bought the skirt and that there wasn't any tops there that I liked. Her comment was "Too bad you don't have it with you, because that's a hard color to match" I told her I had it out in my truck and that I could go get it for a better match. She suggested that I get it and that she would wait for me. Came back in about three minutes and then we began some serious looking. Found a nice black loose fitting top that works well with it. Even has long sleeves. She mentioned that long sleeves would help hide the muscles of my arms. I told her that wasn't the problem but the hair on my arms was what I was trying to hide. She said that I should wax. I had to laugh and told her that I already do that except for my arms just to not have to answer too many questions. Then we ended up having a chat about the merits of waxing, and she allowed as how someday she'd like to have a Brazilian. I told her to go ahead and do it. Kinda fun chat with a GG about waxing and the merits of it. Anyhow I asked if I could try on the top and again she lead me to the dressing room. The size 1X seemed a bit tight so when she checked on me I asked her for a 2X and in about a minute the top was handed over the door. Fit perfect for what I want. She again asked over the door if it was O.K., I told her it was fine and would she give me her opinion. Jennifer opened the door to the room and as I held up the skirt in front of me with the top on she noted that it worked well together. Thanked her for her comment and closed the door so I could put my shirt back on.
As I was checking out I spotted some De-Bras, which are like the Nu-Bra, only much less expensive. Stick on boobs. For $10 I couldn't go wrong. Better price than $70. Same result. It's not likie I'm gonna be on public view on a runway someplace.
A year ago if you had told me that I'd be shopping like I do without any worry, I would have laughed at you. Not nervous a bit and quite frankly quite straighforward about everything. Now, if I could just get up that same sort of nerve to comfront the "home life" I'd be fine.

Annaliese
09-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Great story, by chance did this sit help you get to this point.

Anna

Jodi
09-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Yes Phyliss, it is so easy, and the chatting with the SA's is a lot of fun. You sure can't have that kind of fun talking to your computer while shopping e-bay.

Jodi

GG Vanya
09-07-2006, 06:51 PM
LOL she had so much fun she forgot what day of the week it is!

Jenna1561
09-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Great story Phyllis - sounds as though you had a fantastic outing and to think someone else paid for your gas to the mall - how sweet - LOL.

Jenna

Billijo49504
09-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi, I'm glad you had a good experiance. Those are 2 of my favorite storex....BJ

Phyliss
09-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Anna Leavitt, yes this site has helped me get to this point in my life. The many times I've read about the members "outing" themselves at various stores, and their different shopping experiences has given me the courage to do the things I can now do.
I know that some of my postings are a bit long, but I have a reason for that.

Rather than say something like: "bought a few tops at L.B. a skirt at Cache, and a blouse at Dots." I figure that by fully relating as much of my experience as I can remember without turning it into too much of a "fish story" I just might be able to assist somebody else to have the nerve to try their hand at shopping.

Being here for awhile now and having established my "bona fides" I figure it's about time I try to help someone else. I have learned much from "older" members and I was taught as a child to assist others in their quest. By all of us learning together and supporting each other we can advance ourselves.

RachelDenise
09-08-2006, 04:54 AM
What an excellent trip. Cash for work and shopping! Brilliant.

Phyliss
09-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Thank you RachelDenise, unfortunately I ended up spending much more than I made :( Oh, well.....

As for the De Bra that I picked up at Dots, BTW it's a cheap knock off of the Nu Bra, but for $10 what do you want?