PDA

View Full Version : A shocker

angelfire
09-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Alright, so I have been 'dieting' (More of just a change of eating habits though) for about 7-8 months. I started at about 340lbs. I weighed myself about 2 or 3 months ago and found I was about 290lbs. So I figued I had reached a 'plateau' where my weight generally stopped losing or gaining, so I figured I was around 280lbs.

Well, I just weighed myself last night, and it turns out I am actually down to 257lbs. It feels great, and since my waist size has decreased enough, I can wear more styles that I like and have better selecton (Mostly for drab, but I still like my male look too).

And what feels better is the fact that I did it on my own. No 'diet pills' or 'lose 50 lbs in a week' type of deals. Just changing eating habits and using a bit more common sense when eating. It feels great to have lost about 20lbs more than I thought.

Jessica.

Jenn2716
09-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Way to go!! That is such a pleasant surprise to find out that you lost that much. I wish you well on your weight loss journey, if you are still trying to lose more.

Hearing about something like this really helps to keep me motivated and try to get over my own little plateau.

:hugs:

Jenna1561
09-07-2006, 10:49 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm in a similar boat, but going much slower. Was at about 332# now down to about 270#. I've been down to 263 but am back up a bit.

So, again, Congratulations and keep up the healthy lifestyle. :)

Jenna

angelfire
09-07-2006, 10:50 PM
I am going to try to get down to 180lbs. That is my goal, but it seems almost impossible due to my large bone structure and muscle mass. However, I want to get at least down to 200lbs. I got motivated by a few things. One being the health problems that run in my family. Heart disease, Arthritis, diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. I just hope I made the change early enough to avoid these issues. My uncles weigh as much as I do (or more), my aunts weight more than I did (except 1), and all those problems have run in the family for a long time. easily 7/8ths of my family have diabetes. My uncle had quad-heart bypass a few years back, and he hasn't changed his eating since. I just figured I needed to make a change or I would end up with alot of problems down the road.

I actually (almost) look forward to my next doctor's appointment so I can see how much I've lost, and see my doctor's reaction. He has been pushing me to lose weight for YEARS, and now I have finally done it.

Jenni - And I wish you a great deal of luck with getting over your plateau. I have tried weightloss before, and I always went back to my old eating habits, but this time I think I have changed them for good.

Jenna - I wish you luck as well. I know how hard it can be to lose weight, BELIEVE me, I know. I thought I had tried everything. Slimfast, crash diets, atkins, etc. I lost a bit of weight on each, but put it all back on and more. Took alot for me to get motivated to change my lifestyle.

Barb Valentine
09-07-2006, 10:58 PM
That's so great to hear Jessica
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Billijo49504
09-08-2006, 12:18 AM
WOW!! That's wonderful, and it will help you live longer. Good luck and keep going...BJ

KarenSusan
09-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Angelfire,

I started at about what you are now (240lb) and by walking 3-1/2 miles a day and drinking green tea i am down to 180lb and size 14 skirt. Keep up the good work.

angelfire
09-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Thanks again for all the support gals!

I am just very, very lazy, and can't bring myself to excercise regularly. Gets me bored too fast. :(

Jessica

Marla S
09-08-2006, 06:11 AM
And what feels better is the fact that I did it on my own. No 'diet pills' or 'lose 50 lbs in a week' type of deals. Just changing eating habits and using a bit more common sense when eating. It feels great to have lost about 20lbs more than I thought.
Way to go. :thumbsup:
IMO that's the only way to get a lasting effect without suffering.
And it saves quite a lot of money for the pills.:D and it is even more healthy.

*bow my head*

Ronda_B
09-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Way to go, Jessica,

Last christmas I weighed 340 and was depressed more than useal. My doctor changed my Anti-Depressants to Wellbutrin XL and told me it will also have a good side effect it is also a apatite supressant. So as of last week I'm down to 278 and hope that I can still lose more.

I've been on so many different diet plans in my time that none of them work for too long. My last major weight loss was when I used "Diet Center" and I started at 450 lbs, size 64x30 pants and lost 260 lbs and went to 190 lbs and size 38x30. All this in 15 weeks. I had photos to prove it. Then I gained it all back, plus some went to 460 lbs then lost 160 lbs to 300 were I sat for 6 years and then creeped up to 340lbs. I'm what tey call a Yo-Yo dieter.

Now I'm losing it slow and hope that it stays off this time.

Good luck whith your weight,

Stephenie S
09-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Dear Jessica,

Or is it Angel?

Anyway, Hi, dear. Congrats on your weight loss. You have stumbled on the secret diet. The one that ALWAYS works. It's called the "Just Eat Less Food Diet" and it is guaranteed to work. Always, and every time.

To all who are trying to loose weight, there is a scientific fact concerning weight loss that you have to follow. Consume fewer calories than you burn on a daily basis. This is the ONLY way to loose weight. Exercise is important. It burns calories and it keeps you healthy. But it's not nessessary. You can loose weight just lying in bed. That's not a very healthy way to loose but you can do it. The only essential part is that your caloric intake HAS to be less than your caloric needs for the day. Then you will loose.

You also have to get used to that gnawing feeling in the pit of your stomach that we call hunger. That is the FEELING of loosing weight. That's what it feels like to loose weight. Drink some water. Put something non-caloric in your stomach. A rice cake. A diet cookie. A carrot stick. What ever. But you have to recognise that feeling as the feeling of loosing weight rather than the feeling that you have to eat.

I could continue. You all know I can rant on. If you are maintaining your weight at say, 250 lbs, and you want to loose, you don't need to change any eating habits or types of food. Just eat less of it. Personally, I just left a bit on my plate at every meal. I made that a rule. Leave some food on your plate. When I go out to eat I do the same thing. Don't eat that whole burger. Leave some of it. Don't eat all those fries. Leave some on the plate. This has led to a 45 lb loss for me and it continues.

So enjoy the "Don't Eat So Much Food, You Big Fatty" Diet. It's the only one with a guarantee.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Lilith Moon
09-08-2006, 07:47 AM

I am just very, very lazy, and can't bring myself to excercise regularly. Gets me bored too fast. :(

Jessica

Hi Jess,

First, good work on the weight loss !

Would you like to give us a few hint&tips on what worked for you ?

While I'm not overweight the pounds seem to be slowly piling up even though I think I'm doing everything I should (low fat, lots of veggies, exercise regularly). Some new ideas would be welcome here. :hugs:

Marla S
09-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Some new ideas would be welcome here. :hugs:
Have you considered the amount of food ? (Stupid, I know)
Becomeing older often means that the metabolism slows down a bit and the demand of energy is reduced, which consequently would mean a reduction of food to gain the weight.
Other than that, exercises build up muscles which are more dense than fat
- as long as your clothes size doesn't change, I wouldn't worry about one or two extra pounds.

Silkblouse
09-08-2006, 08:07 AM
.. .. so just a quick note , and , feel free to pick my brain on this stuff , I've been doing this in a manner that is NOT faddish

... fresh raw veggie & fruit juices really REALLY help me so much

. . . its something that I do for me , and I've been refining and tweaking the juicing process and so now , its evolving into a quicker little deal

... I did some searching , and asked questions , so that the juicer I purchased would be the easiest to use [YES, clean up is part of it] and makes the highest quality juice

.. .. not being "preachy" , just passing along something that works for me

again , ... really proud of you gals

Paula Thomas
09-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Congratulations to all of us that are losing weight (for health, increased clothing selection, better body-shape, and any other reason).

I started at 240 (at the beginning of June of this year), and weighed myself today - 215.

My wife's goal is for me to get to 180, but I want to get closer to 160.

All I did was a modified "South Beach" diet (but the lack of variety may not be to everyone's liking).

Monday through Friday, I have a South Beach cereal bar for breakfast, and a South Beach meal replacement bar for lunch (usually I "cheat" one breakfast and one lunch per week, but I keep it sensible).

For dinner I eat lightly (whatever my wife fixes, and we have started to have fish more often (but cooked spicy)).

The week-ends are killers, in that we have a tendency to eat out more often (because we are running errands).

We have started sharing meals at restaurants (i.e., take an entree (sp?) and each eat part of it), and maybe add an extra vegetable (and I get a salad).

This way we eat less and do not take any home.

After I get to about 200, I plan on starting playing tennis again (I did this in my "younger years", and was a good social player).

I figure this will be good exercise (without building upper-body mass).

I hope to get a skirted women's tennis outfit (darn, they look good) to play in.

JoAnnDallas
09-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Congrads.......I too have lost weight. My wife went on Weight Watchers and by default I did too. I am supporting her by only eating the same things she does. As result I was suprised on day when I noticed a couple of dresses a neighber had thrown out. I noticed that they were size 12, but deciede to see if they fit anyway. To my suprise, they not only fit (I was able to zip them completely up), but they were not tight. Had to put one of the dresses back in the trash, it had a big tear in the skirt.
I also noticed that my drab slacks are real loose, so guess I'll need to go shopping for some new drab clothes. LOL

KateLongman27
09-08-2006, 09:38 AM

Jessica

Try using the run, walk method on http://www.runnersworld.com

And also changing routes, also helps. Remember exercise is healthy but it also builds determination and self-motivation along with toning the legs up and keeping your heart healthy!

Good luck.