PDA

View Full Version : NY Times article on crossdressing

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Nice article, quite in contrast to the one in the Las Vegas newspaper the other day.

A Safe House for the Girl Within (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/07/garden/07trann.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

Here was a pilot and a businessman, an accountant, a librarian and a pharmacologist. There was a newspaper publisher, and a court translator. By day, they were the men in the gray flannel suits, but on the weekends, they were Felicity, Cynthia, Gail, Sandy, Fiona, Virginia and Susanna. It was the dawn of the 1960’s, yet they wore their late 50’s fashions with awkward pride: the white gloves, the demure dresses and low heels, the stiff wigs. Many were married with children, or soon would be. In those pre-Judith Butler, pre-Phil Donahue days, when gender was more tightly tethered to biology, these men’s “gender migrations,” or “gender dysphoria,” as the sociologists began to call cross-dressing, might cost them their marriages, their jobs, their freedom.

At Casa Susanna, guests could indulge their wildest domestic urges: to play Scrabble in a dress, to trade makeup tips, and to take lots and lots of pictures. And so they kept their feminine selves hidden, except for weekends at Casa Susanna, a slightly run-down bungalow camp in Hunter, N.Y., that was the only place where they could feel at home.

Decades later, when Robert Swope, a gentle punk rocker turned furniture dealer, came across their pictures — a hundred or so snapshots and three photo albums in a box at the 26th Street flea market in Manhattan — he knew nothing about their stories, or Casa Susanna, beyond the obvious: here was a group of men dressed as women, beautiful and homely, posing with gravity, happiness and in some cases outright joy. They were playing cards, eating dinner, having a laugh. They didn’t look campy, like drag queens vamping it up as Diana Ross or Cher; they looked like small-town parishioners, like the lady next door, or your aunt in Connecticut.

Mr. Swope was stunned by the pictures and moved by the mysterious world they revealed. He and his partner, Michel Hurst, gathered them into a book, “Casa Susanna,” which was published by Powerhouse Books in 2005 and reissued last spring, and which became an instant sensation, predictably, in the worlds of fashion and design. Paul Smith stores sold it, as did the SoHo design store and gallery Moss, which made a Christmas diorama of a hundred copies last year. Last month, you might have seen it in the hands of a child-size mannequin in the Marc Jacobs store on Bleecker Street.

But it was only after the book’s publication that Mr. Swope and Mr. Hurst began to learn the story of Casa Susanna, first called the Chevalier d’Eon resort, for an infamous 18th-century cross-dresser and spy, and only in recent months, as they have begun working on a screenplay about the place, that they have come to know some of its survivors.

My favorite quote from the article:

What still moves Murray Moss, the impresario behind Moss the store, about the images in the book is their ordinariness. “You think of man dressed as woman and you think extremes: it’s kabuki, Elizabethan theater, Lady Macbeth,” he said. “It’s also sexual. But these aren’t sexual photos. The idea that they formed a secret society just to be ... ordinary. It’s like a mirror held up to convention. It’s not what you would expect. It’s also not pathetic. Everybody looks so happy.”

Joyce1702
09-08-2006, 05:55 AM
Wow, that's an amazing story. Thanks for posting it!

Joyce

SherriePall
09-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Marlena -- Interesting story. Note that in one spot it said they could lose their jobs, marriages, or FREEDOM. Yes, back then they could have been institutionalized for their CDing. Thanks for letting us know about this story.

KarenSusan
09-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Great article, Marlena, thanks for posting it. I was struck by the woman named Sandy who is 67 and says she has not crossdressed for 20 years. I could not do that.

Marla S
09-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Good article, very good favorite quote.

One question though, a more "linguistical" one (German understanding of words vs. Amercian/English understanding of words).

Are sexual and erotic synonyms ?
(in German sexual has a meaning that is directly related to the "action", whereas erotic is related to appearance and mood).

I ask cause I wonder that the term erotic almost never is mentioned, but sexual very often, when it comes to CD/TS.

Penny
09-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks, It seems some things have changed but some things have remained the same. Interesting!

Jenna1561
09-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Great article, much better than the Vegas one.

Jenna

susandrea
09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for that.

Karren H
09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Good article, Marlena!! Read it over lunch today. Anyone ever read the book? And is it still available?

Love Karren

ColleenCD
09-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Nice article

Colleen

korin
09-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Interesting article! Hope the book is widely available because it deserves a read. :)

tvny7
09-08-2006, 01:13 PM
i agree

PaulaJeanette
09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi, that was a nice article. Has anyone else noticed the increase in articles, television specials, movies, etc. on the topic of crossdressing and transvestism that have appeared lately? I have...several in the local and national newspapers and syndicated columns, such as Dear Abby, etc. And all seem to be very positive...no bashing.

I guess more and more society thru the media is beginning to face the topic of crossdressing, transvestism, and transgenderism rather than keeping it hidden under the rug.

Ladies, our long awaited day is coming!

Hugs,

PaulaJeanette

Melanie R
09-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Marlena,

Thanks for bringing the article to our attention. We will order a copy of the book. Before her death in 2001 we spent many weekends with Gail, the newspaper publisher, inher Scarsdale, NY home and met some of the other persons who were friends of Susanna. We enjoyed seeing hundreds of pictures Gail had taken at Casa Susanna and at Susanna and wife's apartment in Manhatten. At Gail's 80th birthday celebration at Lips in NYC some of the gals were present as were some Broadway and Hollywood personas who were friends of Gail and deceased wife, the actress Joan Bennet. This was the first time all of the celebrities had met Gail. During the 20 years she was married to Joan, Gail did not crossdress. For the next five years after Joan's death and until Gail' sudden death, Gail dressed almost 24/7 and attended with us two Texas T Parties and four of our Dignity c;ruises. Felicity at age 100 is still going strong. Up until age 95 she was still flying her own airplane. Virigina is in an assisted living facility but is her usual self. A picture belows shows Gail and Virginia at Gail's 80th birthday celebration. It was indeed an honor to have known some of these wonderful persons from Casa Susanna.

Hugs,

Melanie

Calliope
09-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Very cool. Found art is still peaking and is this a terrific score. The text presentation in the book (swell holiday gift) and the NYT article are very elegant.

Marla, I would say sexual and erotic have significant (gender) differences. Women like erotic literature but sexy lit is for the guys, meaning crude.

ReginaK
09-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Good article, very good favorite quote.

One question though, a more "linguistical" one (German understanding of words vs. Amercian/English understanding of words).

Are sexual and erotic synonyms ?
(in German sexual has a meaning that is directly related to the "action", whereas erotic is related to appearance and mood).

I ask cause I wonder that the term erotic almost never is mentioned, but sexual very often, when it comes to CD/TS.

When in doubt, consult the dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sexual&x=0&y=0
sex‧u‧al  /ˈsɛkʃuəl or, especially Brit., ˈsɛksyu-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sek-shoo-uhl or, especially Brit., seks-yoo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or for sex: sexual matters; sexual aids.
2. occurring between or involving the sexes: sexual relations.
3. having sexual organs or reproducing by processes involving both sexes.

e‧rot‧ic  /ɪˈrɒtɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-rot-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective Also, e‧rot‧i‧cal.
1. arousing or satisfying sexual desire: an erotic dance.
2. of, pertaining to, or treating of sexual love; amatory: an erotic novel.
3. subject to or marked by strong sexual desire.

It seems English isn't much different than German in respect of these words.

Roberta Lynn
09-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Great article Marlena, thanks for posting it.:hugs:

Marla S
09-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Marla, I would say sexual and erotic have significant (gender) differences. Women like erotic literature but sexy lit is for the guys, meaning crude.

It seems English isn't much different than German in respect of these words.

Hm +? +? +? . Wouldn't it be wiser than to speak of erotic if erotic is meant ?
Can only speak for myself though: I never dress sexual but like to dress erotic sometimes. If becoming sexual is the result sometimes, I don't bother, but I probably would bother if I would always become sexual - couldn't stand that, have other things to do too ;)

Might be that I only have a wrong impression on the frequency of the usage of sexual and erotic in trans-related articles and on this forum, though.

renee k
09-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Good article, Marlena!! Read it over lunch today. Anyone ever read the book? And is it still available?

Love Karren

Thanks Marlena for the heads up. Great article!

Hi Karren, The book is available on amazon.com. Just do a search for Casa Susana. Ordered my copy yesterday!

Huggs, Renee

ReginaK
09-10-2006, 03:29 AM
Hm +? +? +? . Wouldn't it be wiser than to speak of erotic if erotic is meant ?
Can only speak for myself though: I never dress sexual but like to dress erotic sometimes. If becoming sexual is the result sometimes, I don't bother, but I probably would bother if I would always become sexual - couldn't stand that, have other things to do too ;)

Might be that I only have a wrong impression on the frequency of the usage of sexual and erotic in trans-related articles and on this forum, though.

I think we often just use the wrong words at the wrong time and it leads to confusion.

For some CDs, dressing is sexual, meaning they do it as part of a sexual activity (masturbation, to attract a sex partner, etc). Then for others, dressing is erotic, meaning they do it just for the sexual feelings.