PDA

View Full Version : The Dilemma of Sizing Shoes Purchased on Line

SallyBowles
09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
I’ve been able to get by on shoe style because I’ve preferred a Punky Goth Girl look. Due to some recent clothing purchases I need;

A killer pair of 4 1/2” heels, very pointy toes, retro (late 50’s- early 60’s look) stiletto
A classic 3” T-strap with a moderate pointed toe
And possibly, a 4”, slight platform with rounded toe school girl Mary Jane

I plan to make all of these purchases from Pierre Silber. With this being my first time buying real heels I could use advice on figuring out my size for heels. I was even more confused after reading;
http://www.thedigitalvillage.com/yvonnesplace/head_toe/shoes.htm
http://www.payless.com/en-US/Consumer/CustomerSupport/Finding_Size.htm#conversion
Scroll down for the conversion chart

In a men’s I wear a size 13. I measure out 11 3/8” to 11 ½” and width is 4 to 4 ¼”. Using the Payless chart makes me a standard women’s 13 ½! I’m confused! Any advice with sizing shoes in general and specifically with regards to P. Silber sizing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Marla S
09-08-2006, 10:05 AM
The only way to have a chance to order shoes that fit is to get a grip on the measured length and width of the shoes from the inside. Everything else is a gamble, because the same nominal size might differ considerable from brand to brand, and type of shoes to type of shoes.
Ask the shop or seller for this values before ordering.

(I bought shoes online without having this values. One pair is measured two sizes larger than it should be according to the size charts. Another one is one size smaller than it should be :Angry3:)

Sharon
09-08-2006, 10:55 AM
It's my experience that shoe sizes are pretty consistent -- unlike clothing! -- so..., get yourself to a shoe store, grab one of those measuring devices(they often have male and female on the same scale) and find out for sure. Whether you wear flats or heels, the size should remain the same. And measure your foot in the afternoon or evening as feet tend to swell as the day goes on.

vbcdgrl
09-08-2006, 11:32 AM
My experience is women's shoe sizes run 1 1/2-2 numbers bigger than men's. For example, I wear a 9 1/2 W mens and an 11W womens shoe. Good luck.

Vikki

Tina Dixon
09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
I go two sizes up and seem to work well for me, I wear a mans 12 and a womans 14.

veronicaM
09-08-2006, 02:53 PM
using the 1.5 to 2 sizes larger for womens, i have seen places (on the web)
that have up to a womans 15 in heels.

ArleneRaquel
09-08-2006, 02:54 PM
I wear a men's size 9,and a women's 11 fits me fine. :love: From Katrina

kateyliz
09-08-2006, 06:17 PM
One of the few things I've learned so far is to buy LEATHER. With leather you can err a little on the small side and slowly (to avoid blisters, etc.) stretch them into a good fit. Thee margin for error is small but at least it exists. Hugs, Kathy

Ally K
09-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I wear a size 13 mens.. which means size 15 womens. I've found some shoes that fit online and also theres a nice store here in Orlando that caters to the crossdressing/transgendered community.

Although, you only have to go like 1 size up for open toe shoes..

sissystephanie
09-08-2006, 10:33 PM
I wear a size 8 1/2 Medium in men's shoes and was having a hard time getting shoes that fit. So I decided to get measured the right way. I went to a local Nordstroms (famous for their shoe departments) and told the man who came to wait on me that I wanted a pair of medium heeled pumps. He asked, "what size does she wear?" I told I didn't know the right size since they were for me. He looked at me and said,"well, let me measure you and then I will show you some shoes I think you will love." He measured me and told me that I should wear a ladies size 10 B, unless I was wearing real high heels that were pointy toes. He said if you wear those you should be wearing a 10 1/2 B. Good SA, I wound up buying a pair of very nice plain black pumps with 1 1/2 inch heels and a real fancy pair of 3" heels with pointy toes. haven't worn the fancy pair out of the house yet, since I cannot walk well in them yet. But I wore the other pair out shopping this evening. Very comfortable and the fit is perfect. So my advise is to get yourself measured by a real shoe clerk, preferably in a shoe store or a shoe department. A good ckerk won't care what sex you are really. They just want to make sale, if possible.

Sissy

More girl than man

Ronda_B
09-08-2006, 11:14 PM
My rule of thomb is two sizes if it's a closed toe and one size if it a open toe shoe.

I used to get a catalog from SexyShoes.com They have some really nice shoes and some high pumps and platforms. Give them a try.

Adrienne Heels
09-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree with Stephanie. It's best to go out and try some on to see what size you are, especially with pointy toes. I am anywhere from a 10 to 11 ladies, with the larger size in the pointy toes. I am a 9 or 9.5 in guy shoes

The SA just wants to sell shoes. They don't care who is buying.

sterling12
09-10-2006, 02:35 AM
I agree with Stephanie and a couple of the others. Go and get measured properly.

You won't even have to tell the Clerk it's for wearing female shoes. Your male Size plus 2 sizes usually works very well for Shoe's made for The American Market. I understand that if you are buying shoes for Britain or The European Market the sizes MAY vary. So "heads-up" if you are buying from a private seller on Ebay who is located in Europe, unless they have already made the adjustments.

My Family was in the shoe business for years, for a guy wearing a woman's Shoe what may also be critical is your foot WIDTH! Typically women have width's like A & B and men tend to go toward the wider ranges C-D and E+. If the Woman's Shoe your contemplating a purchase on is narrow, you have problems that you may not be able to solve. Ergo, it's critical to also know your width and what size and width shoe that the seller is offering. If your a 12EEE and the offered shoe is a 12B......it's gonna pinch and hurt something awful! And yes, a particular style of shoe can also change the dynamics.

I'm a 10B and lucky because I have narrow feet, sometimes I can fit into a 9 1/2B, just depends on the shoe's fitting and style. If you have any problems with "stock sizes" that you are buying over The net. Better think about dealing with a local, reputable, shoe store. I wouldn't worry too much about discretion, I can just about guarantee that they would love to have some of your money.

peace and love, Joanie

SallyBowles
09-11-2006, 02:38 AM
There is 1 shoe store here that does deal in larger sizes in my city and I called them several days ago and really got slammed down on. I am a gentleman and all I inquired of was of sizes. I was just shut down on. Sadly, living in a red state or anywhere, I can’t agree with an associate just wants “that” sale. I’ve worked retail as pick up job in San Francisco and bluntly it’s just not that easy. I’ve seen bigotry on all sides of the gender spectrum.

Dammit! I just want an indecent pair of heels!

Snookums
09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
From a lifetime of CDing,I find womens shoes easy to fit,in mens I wear an 8 in womens I wear a 9 1/2 sometimes a 10,try on womens shoes that are a 14 1/2 to 15 if you can find them.

krisybryant
09-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Sally,
Another lady on crossdressers.com gave us a list of large shoe store web sites. From what I've seen 9.5 mens = 11 womens is the break point, above that you should first try man's+2.

Having said that, I'm very limited in my choices to only Pleaser brand size 17 womens 4'' heel. The one pair I bought I think are a little big on me - they gap above the toe and the heel can slip out if I try hard enough.

FYI.
I even tried researching WMBA womens biographies to see what they wear when they want to dress up for a night on the town. I've only found 1 who's 6'8'' and wears size 17 womens shoe. She's a center for the New York Liberty.