PDA

View Full Version : Full physical

brendasmith
09-08-2006, 11:43 PM
I was reading about Karens ordeal at work and it makes me wonder how I am going to get through mine. A few years ago my wife wanted me to have a full physical and the doctor to my horror wanted me to have a mammagram. At the time my breasts were just noticable but now there is no doubt, they are an easy B+. Got out of it last time, but my wife says it needs to be done so they would have a base line for the future. I will be going to the same doctor that prescribes all my medication. Thinking about, just paying for it myself, rather than using my insurance, which would raise a lot of red flags. Maybe use another name even. Think I could even do it as a female if I got brave enough. Have any of you ever been in a situation like this. Brenda

Ashley Helen
09-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Men can develop and die from Breast Cancer, get it done. I'm not sure what concerns you about getting it done and your insurance, unless your 'medication' includes hormones.
Surely you doctor is just being efficient given the breast tissue you have.

Helen xx

Penny
09-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Get it done and stop being concerned about red flags. I went to my urologist
because of kidney stones and he examined me from the waist up. Good pulses in my feet right above my french manicured toes and right below my shaved legs. My panties were laying on the chair above my pants and socks.
My CT revealed a problem. Know what if I hadn't gone. Get done!

sue ellan
09-09-2006, 06:55 AM
get it done girl. your wife just cares about you and the doctor is just doing his (her ) job. they couldnt care less about anything else. i have a lady doctor and she checks my prostate every year. no big deal. it is for your own good. the doctors have seen everything.:hugs:
sue ellan

SherriePall
09-09-2006, 07:48 AM
I think what concerns Brenda about the insurance is that the company she works for may obtain information from the insurance and that info may out her. It is commonplace for some companies to check with insurance firms to see what problems an employe may have.

Stephenie S
09-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Girls,

Worried about what the doctor or nurse might think? Stop. Doctors and nurses have seen it all and more. Plus, they DON'T CARE!!!!

Worried about what the insurance company might think? Keep worrying. This is a valid concern. Your insurance company has a room full of people whose only job is to deny claims. GID is almost guaranteed to be one of the reasons to deny a claim. And they might just deny all your claims. (I have heard of this happening, but it may be just another urban myth). (Every doctor I have talked to about this states that it would never happen).

So, try and get your docor to bill discetely. Ie.: if you go to a therapist, ask him to bill for personality disorder rather than gender confusion. If you go for a mamogram ask that it be billed under gynecomastia. Try not to give your insurance company a reason to deny your claim.

I am paying for my hormones myself (not that expensive yet) rather than submit the claim to insurance for just this reason.

Worry about your insurance, not your doctor.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Wenda
09-09-2006, 08:32 AM
I understand. I had a complete physical, prostate, complete blood work, etc. My Dr is a no-nonsense South African. I was shaved from my neck to my toes. I had removed all my toe polish etc. I now fill a 38B nicely. His only concern was pre-diabetes, prescribed a blood sugar tester, and referred me to the dietician for consultation. Previous advice is all good. Please just go. :thumbsup:

KarenSusan
09-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Go ahead and get it done. Not only is it good for you but it will make you feel like a woman.

It is a sad state of affairs when a test ordered by a doctor could get your insurance cancelled.

brendasmith
09-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Your right, the two main things I am worried about is messing up my insurance and the other, having everyone know I have boobs. Would be quite the talk in a small town. I have been wearing a tight sports bra to hide them the last couple of years and to the best of my knowlege nobody has noticed them. I was at a fund raiser one time, where they guess peoples weight and the person who guessed mine noted as they sizing me up that that I was fairly heavy in the chest area. I will probably get a mammagram when I go to the doctor this time, but may just pay for it myself. If a problem did develop with the insurance, several girls in the office would have to handle it, and that wouldn't be good. Does anyone know how much a mammagram costs? Looking on the positive side of things, most people who have boobs don't ever have prostate trouble. That is one of goals too, since it runs in the family. Brenda

Jodi Lynn
09-09-2006, 08:54 AM
I just had me annaul echo cardogram as part of my annaul physical, clean shaven chest and legs, the gg tech never said a word and never has over the years I have been seeing her. Also when I go to see me doctor next month I want him to order a mamogram. I do have large breasts and I found a lump the other day and I want to make sure it isn't something other then a fat pocket. I know he will want to make an exam himself frist but that is his job. I also hve a male freind that did have breast cancer a few years ago, lucky they found it in time.

Jodi Lynn
09-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Looking on the positive side of things, most people who have boobs don't ever have prostate trouble. That is one of goals too, since it runs in the family. Brenda

I have started having prostate problems myself, enlarged. But. to be honset I never was really sure about prosate problems in transsexuals. I was wondering about it the other day while I was at the urology doctor the other day. So I asked a girl that I know that had srs years ago. She told me that they took out her prostate when she had her srs so that is not a concern of hers.

brendasmith
09-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Keeping the prostate under control was one of my main objectives when I started taking hormones to reduce my T level. My doctor prescribes proscar and estradiol several years ago to combat male pattern baldness and said it would also be good for the prostate. The estradiol has made me a lot calmer. I have gone off of it a couple times, but the results weren't good. After about ten days, my wife will ask if I have been taking my pills and I know I had better not go any further without them. My doctor says what I am taking would be good for all men, but most would not take it because of the feminzation factor. Brenda

KarenSusan
09-09-2006, 09:47 AM
My doctor says what I am taking would be good for all men, but most would not take it because of the feminzation factor. Brenda

I want your doctor, Brenda.:happy:

Lindsay Marie
09-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Don't let the docs scare you, most of them don't care wheat you wear underneath or on top for that matter, they're there to treat the indiviual and with the new hipaa laws they are obligated not to tell anyone what goes on behind closed doors, same goes for the nurses too. Plus they have seen it all. Most medical courses now include sections on people who are different, be it either gay or lesbian or TG or whatever, I know my EMT course did. Biggest factor is they don't care either, they're professional and most live up to that.

AmberTG
09-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Ya, I went to have an ultrasound on my liver at my local V.A. hospital, forgot that I had my armpits shaved. The tech, A man about my age, and a girl doing her training were doing the ultrasound, no mention of any thing, very professional. They're there to do their job, not to pass judgement.
The Endio that at the Milwaukee V.A. hospital that decided not to prescribe HRT for me did so based on the fact that I'm not part of a gender reassignment program and I didn't have a direct recomendation from my therapist, even though the therapist and my doctor sent me there for that purpose. Anyway, what I'm saying here is that it wasn't his personal bias, it was simply that I wasn't fitting within the guidelines for HRT.
I agree that an insurance claim could end up getting you outted at work.
Amber

Denise01
09-09-2006, 12:48 PM
By all means if the doctor wants a mammogram, have it because breast cancer is not unheard of in men,

I am totally shaved from the neck down. In Feb I had to have and angiogram, and accordingly, the nurse was going to shave where the doctor had to go in to do the procedure.

When she saw that i was shaved, her only comment was, you are already shaved, and that was it.

As previously said, the doctors and nurses have seen it all.

Fortunately in Ontario, we do not have to worry about what Insurance companies will say, as we are covered under our Provincial health programme for procedures such as that, and insurance companies only get involved for extended coverages

Denise

RachelB.
09-09-2006, 01:01 PM
In the US it is against the law for anyone to release your medical information without written consent. Mammograms are not unheard of for men and most clinics that do them have days or time periods that are reserved for male patients. I know sereral men who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and if not for this test would probably be dead now. I have had one myself and no one seemed surprised or concerned with it. By all means do it. It may well save your live.

Rachel

Stephenie S
09-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Yes girls, the HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act) rules make it a crime to diclose health information to anyone not authorized to see it. You could get fired for disclosing information to the wrong person. Unfortunately, your insurance company is in the loop. But it does mean that all of us in the health care field listen to hours of training on the "don't gosip about your patients" idea.

Steph

Lanore
01-01-2007, 01:59 AM
And the doctors name was? When I hear the word feminization, I give it my full attention. Hopefully they're over the counter.

Lanore

Scotty
01-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Yes get it done, breast cancer in men is like 3 times more dangerouis and what's the word....faster...I'll think of the word later.

I do self-tests but I plan on going in for a mammogram in a couple of months, to my TG doctor.

I don't put this on my insurance either, in fact my normal doc doesn't know about any of this, not yet anyway but I think she would be OK with it. I too want to keep it off my insurance.

Ashley1
01-01-2007, 02:15 AM
What are you talking about? I have had two benign Brest tumors removed from the same brest some forty or so years apart. The surgeon who removed the last one has also had one of his brest tumors removed. My boss at the time also had one of his brest tumors removed. Brest tumors in men are a fact of life and insurance companies deal with them all of the time and pay for the surgery. Don't be a dummy. If you have something going on in your brest, go and see a doctor, preferably a surgeon or get referred to one, and get the problem diagnosed. You may not have a tumor at all, but if you do get it taken care of. I have had mamograms done and they are no big deal so please, please if you think that you need medical care go and get it done on your health insurance because that is what you are paying for. Everyone where I worked knew what was happening to me and nobody thought anything about it. :hugs:

Ashley1

Bernadina
01-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Mammograms are a waste of time and part of the big cancer fear and fraud machine. They damage breast tissues, can rupture cysts and other growths, cause cancer and miss many kinds of cancer and other problems. And they hurt like hell. But they make lots of money for the equipment makers, labs and doctors.

There are better and more accurate ways of testing for breast problems that are non-damaging. Unfortunately they are cheap to perform, don't require expensive equipment or trained operators. In other words they don't support that part of the cancer money machine.

If any doctor recommended a mammogram, I'd run like hell.

Charolette time
01-01-2007, 11:40 AM
I was reading about Karens ordeal at work and it makes me wonder how I am going to get through mine. A few years ago my wife wanted me to have a full physical and the doctor to my horror wanted me to have a mammagram. At the time my breasts were just noticable but now there is no doubt, they are an easy B+. Got out of it last time, but my wife says it needs to be done so they would have a base line for the future. I will be going to the same doctor that prescribes all my medication. Thinking about, just paying for it myself, rather than using my insurance, which would raise a lot of red flags. Maybe use another name even. Think I could even do it as a female if I got brave enough. Have any of you ever been in a situation like this. Brenda

Dont wait get a Mammogram, I had one and it was positive for breast cancer, its 2 years on Jan 4th 2005 I was operated on, 1.9 centermeter on the left nipple area.and took out 20 lymph nodes and one of them had .5 cetermeters, I am on a medication fror 5 years called Aremidex. men get it so please take my advice and your wifes, and the insurance company pays for it, cancer free 2 yrs, Tomorrow I have to get a core byopsie ,there was a few spots that didnt show up in last years mammogram that did this year I go to Brigham and Womans in Boston, Mass, and Dana Farber cancer center,
\
Charolette

Charolette time
01-01-2007, 12:02 PM
My Wife and I are involved with Relay for Life,after a dear freind was diagnosed with breast cancer and uterine cancer at age 30.She is a survivor at the lost of her breast and uterine,it was detected early and this saved her life.Last summer they had a relay where guys dressed in drag and walked the relay in heels Yey! Any Whos I have learned a lot about cancer and "Nowfor the shocker any man can get breast cancer to "although at a much lower risk then women so your mamogram could easliy be explained.For the sake of your Loved Ones Don't DELAY!

1 man for every 100 woman, dont wait till its to late do it now Charolette

marie354
01-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Mammograms are a waste of time and part of the big cancer fear and fraud machine. They damage breast tissues, can rupture cysts and other growths, cause cancer and miss many kinds of cancer and other problems. And they hurt like hell. But they make lots of money for the equipment makers, labs and doctors.

There are better and more accurate ways of testing for breast problems that are non-damaging. Unfortunately they are cheap to perform, don't require expensive equipment or trained operators. In other words they don't support that part of the cancer money machine.

How do I (we) find out more info on this cheap method?
:hugs:

Christina Nicole
01-01-2007, 01:21 PM

That's interesting and very radical. You have references from reputable sources, or clinical data to back that up?

Keeping the prostate under control was one of my main objectives when I started taking hormones to reduce my T level. My doctor prescribes proscar and estradiol several years ago to combat male pattern baldness and said it would also be good for the prostate. The estradiol has made me a lot calmer.

Hmm. Now there's an idea. Something to talk to the doc about on my next visit. I was on estrogen before, actually 17 Beta oestradiol and rather miss it. Thanks Brenda!

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Bernadina
01-01-2007, 02:06 PM
That's interesting and very radical. You have references from reputable sources, or clinical data to back that up?

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

The information is readily available to anyone who is really interested in doing something positive to stop the cancer madness.

After all, how many new cases of breast cancer were caused by having a whole month last year dedicated to its celebration. Cancer is an internal problem caused by many factors with the mind being the biggest cause of all. What the mind perceives the body achieves.

And just to give you a hint on how bad it is here is a quote from Dr. Pauling.

"Everyone should know that most cancer research is largely a fraud and that the major cancer research organisations are derelict in their duties to the people who support them." - Linus Pauling PhD (Two-time Nobel Prize winner).

Glenda58
01-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Had one about 10 years ago just standard policy for men over 40 at my doctor's office. And 10 years ago I was flat as a pancake. And the insurance cover it plus they can share the info with anybody without your permission.

Marcie Sexton
01-01-2007, 02:32 PM
My advice...get it done...although I haven't taken any thing < HRT, but would if justified by my Dr. >, that is another story though...

Several months back I went for my bi-annual physical...while there the Dr.
noticed a small bump on my right breast...off I go to have a mam. sat almost three hours in a room full of gg's :o ...any way I was called in and had it done six days later I was called and ask to come in to discuss results...when I got there Dr. Tim as I will call him told me the mam had revealed a small tumor and he want to remove it and have it tested...needless to say when he quoted an almost 4 to 1 ratio in deaths due to breast cancer in men to women scared the mortal sh*** out of me...It was taken out and turned out to be nothing other than a run of the mill cyst...< TG >

Dr Tim told me that I had done the smart thing and would recommend a monthly self exam of my breast to check for tumors...which I do...this a story with a good ending, but what about those that are still suffering and those who have left us, for having done the macho thing and not followed through on medical advice...

Dr. Tim also told me that one of the reasons men die so much more quickly of breast cancer is lack of tissue...noting to act as a buffer to the internal organs...

PERSONALLY SPEAKING...HAVE IT DONE...I DID AND IT MAY HAVE SAVED MY LIFE...:thumbsup:

PS: I did get a letter asking for clarification as to why I needed a mam, but when the bill for the surgery for the cyst removal was submitted, I got another letter with drawing their request for info, and hoping my medicl condition was resolved...I guess the cost of a mam and some minor surgery far out weight the costly expense of cancer treatment...

Charolette time
01-03-2007, 02:45 PM

BERNADINA
I dont know if living in Canada is the problem with health care, I think you have a social type of insurance, but as far as having a mommory exam it is the way to save a life if you have a tumor, I had it done and found two tumors operated on jan 2005, and now follow up 1 a year, all that you have said is not true, and the only way is to get the test, I even had a ultrasonagram to go along with the other test, and both came back to save my life, Charolette

JoAnnDallas
01-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Being the medical field, I deal with software programs that work with X-Ray machines. While at RSNA last Nov., I saw a new system that is going thru clinical trials that will make it easier to do Mammograms and almost painless too. It works more on the order of a MRI than a standard mamogram machine. Should on the market and into hosptials in the next couple of years.