PDA

View Full Version : Other ways to release...

KayleighTV_UK
12-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Ok.. just a random thought i thought i would ask you all..

Well, apart from the obvious, the reason we are all here.. are there any other things that help you relax/release?? i was just thinking about this and for me its music.. without my music i would be lost... ya know? there is a song for every moment in everyones life.. you just have to find it..

Just randomly rambling..

Kay

DonnaT
12-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Woodturning or carving. At least when things go as planned and I don't have to make a sudden design change :D

KayleighTV_UK
12-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Sounds just like something that would happen at my work..

"Ive waited for 6 weeks for these parts for my car and they dont fit..."

Ugh.. work... {Hides}

Wenda
12-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I visit on this forum... I also enjoy working with wood. I sometimes drink a 1.1 litre of 9% beer and watch tv. I need a life. wenda.

KayleighTV_UK
12-21-2004, 07:25 PM
whats with all the wood working?? im starting to see sexual undertones..

Sorry, bad humor ment in good taste

Kay

Donna Louise
12-21-2004, 08:42 PM
For me its fixing things. I have been known to buy broken stuff just to see how it works. I do watch some tv mostly movies or history type stuff. My wife always seems to have something for me to do. You know standard stuff, last weeks big project was install new dishwasher. I can be a regular Ms. Fix It! :rolleyes: Thats why I really don't have time for a hobby. My most favorite, get dressed, have a couple beers and cook something great to eat.

Donna Louise

Tristen Cox
12-21-2004, 09:31 PM

Well, apart from the obvious, the reason we are all here.. are there any other things that help you relax/release?? i was just thinking about this and for me its music.. without my music i would be lost... ya know? there is a song for every moment in everyones life.. you just have to find it..

Just randomly rambling..

Kay

I couldn't agree more about the music. It picks me up, expresses myself and helps my thoughts calm down just by playing the right songs. I have no limits to what I listen to or even language, as long as it works for my moode. There's stuff I have I never listened to, then suddenly I do and it fits my attitude perfectly. Yes I also play my own stuff on various instruments which really helps get things out through my fingers. Alright rambling here again..

Sharon
12-21-2004, 09:39 PM
I couldn't agree more about the music. It picks me up, expresses myself and helps my thoughts calm down just by playing the right songs. I have no limits to what I listen to or even language, as long as it works for my moode. There's stuff I have I never listened to, then suddenly I do and it fits my attitude perfectly. Yes I also play my own stuff on various instruments which really helps get things out through my fingers. Alright rambling here again..

Ditto here on all parts. :)

GraceUSA
12-22-2004, 01:37 AM
Like others, music is a big way for me to unwind or change my mood. Walking on a cool night is nother way for me, nothing like looking up seeing the stars and the vastness of space we live in (kinda puts everything in perspective). I escape in books (I love fantasy), computer games and chat.

Grace

JAYNETHOMPSON
12-22-2004, 06:40 AM
I know this is probably a bit sad but I like to restore old motorcycles listening to "Talk Sport" radio drinking Stella Artois. When I get to the point of not being able to focus I come back in doors !!!!

Julie
12-22-2004, 07:00 AM
I know this is probably a bit sad but I like to restore old motorcycles listening to "Talk Sport" radio drinking Stella Artois. When I get to the point of not being able to focus I come back in doors !!!!

Firstly, welcome Jaynet, it's great to have you here. I wouldn't say anything you said was sad except maybe listening to 'Talk Sport', there must be a better sports station than that. :)

JJ

melody
12-22-2004, 07:14 AM
To wind down, or to destress I sometimes listen to some music, play some games on the PC or PS2, browse the web, or read if I'm not too tired (which work seems to make me).

Vickie-CD
12-22-2004, 07:19 AM

Just randomly rambling..

Kay
Kay, I agree 100 per-cent on the music. I love everything to x-tream heavy metal to classical, depending on my mood. Also big on photography and darkroom, anything in art is the ultimate for self expression and expressing those feelings that words cannot express.
Love to All,
Vickie

Amelie
12-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Same as Grace said. For me it would be long walks late at night. I would walk around the city at about 4 in the morning. There is a gothic, "Jack the Ripperish" feel at this time of night. I feel the most comfortable when walking in drag at this hour. Strangely, I feel very relaxed.
Amelie

Vickie-CD
12-22-2004, 08:33 AM

Just randomly rambling..

Kay

Kay, my 2nd thought on this subject, you are not just rambling , you hit the nail on the head, I suppose music has been around since mankind in some form or fashion, such as ancient tribal rythems and so on. And have you noticed in the movies how important the music track is to emphasize the mood or feel of the scene. Even during the silent era of motion pictures, sheet music would be distributed with the film so the live musician could play the composed music during the showing of the film. Music is also universal, no language barriers. Perhaps music is the ultimate poetry of life, just a thought.
May the winds of happiness flow your way, (Buddah text)
Vickie

JAYNETHOMPSON
12-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome Julie J; Its great to be part of the site. I've been reading / listing for most of today. I guess your dead right about Talk Sport bit.!!

Firstly, welcome Jaynet, it's great to have you here. I wouldn't say anything you said was sad except maybe listening to 'Talk Sport', there must be a better sports station than that

JAYNETHOMPSON
12-22-2004, 08:51 AM
I totally agree with you Amelie; I especially like early evening walks across the city. I try to take on the persona of a woman returning from work. I dress in what could be described as typical office workers outfit. Heaven.

:)

Same as Grace said. For me it would be long walks late at night. I would walk around the city at about 4 in the morning. There is a gothic, "Jack the Ripperish" feel at this time of night. I feel the most comfortable when walking in drag at this hour. Strangely, I feel very relaxed.
Amelie

SatinSarah
12-22-2004, 09:21 AM
I see woodturning and music are big for othr girls. For me it is sport - the physical sort. I play every week and train at a gym. Although I love the physical side of having lumps kicked out of me on the pitch I am a bit of a girly sissy I suppose.

AnnaMaria
12-22-2004, 09:24 AM
OK!!!!!!
Well of course music is great. For most artists it comes from the heart so even if it is loud and obnoxious it is still what the musician is feeling so how could it not fit a moment is everyones life. That is why I have enough music on my computer to drive to the moon and back without listening to the same song twice.

As for walking I personally prefer walking to the back yard in the summer and slipping into the pool for a soak. Unfortunately right now I can't do that due to the fact that the pool has about 2 inches of snow on the cover. Might get a little cool on the dangly bits and they might fall off. Which would make dressing easier but would not make the wife very happy when she found out that her favorite play toy was gone. hehehehehehe.

Oh well just a thought.

huggs
anna

DonnaD
12-22-2004, 11:24 AM
I seemingly have a ton of hobbies and they all are kind of manly tho. I am constqntly in my woodshop making furniture or cabinets or something for someone. I go to the firing range alot to blow off steam and compete.

And here lately I have boughten myself a new hobby, I bought a used 64 impala supersport that I am refurbishing to be my "fun" car for the warm monthes.

Music is a big one for me too, both kinds country and western lol

DonnaD...

Sharon
12-22-2004, 11:52 AM
And here lately I have boughten myself a new hobby, I bought a used 64 impala supersport that I am refurbishing to be my "fun" car for the warm monthes.
DonnaD...

Donna,
Please post a picture of your auto!!! It's a long-time dream of mine to be able to do this, but, alas, the time necessary just isn't there.

Paula A
12-22-2004, 02:12 PM
For me it is sport - the physical sort. I play every week and train at a gym. Although I love the physical side of having lumps kicked out of me on the pitch I am a bit of a girly sissy I suppose.

sarah;
Rugby or football (soccer)?

For me it is soccer, I love to play, (I love to coach as well), I play center foward and attacking midfield, I love the feeling of physical exhaustion afterward and I can sleep soundly afterward. for me that is the #1 coice for stress relief.

I love music and listed to everything from classical to heavy metal, depends on the mood of the moment.

However to relax and wind down I'll go fly fishing for what ever is biting, or hang out in the garage and work on my 1972 'Cuda restoration project. That's a Plymouth Baracuda, Muscle car with a 440 Cu/In engine for you girls accoss the pond I believe it works out to about 7.3 liters.

KayleighTV_UK
12-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone..

Just got in from a long day at work and ive just been reading through all your posts.. im glad everyone pretty much feels the same way about me on the music side of things.. im not sure why i feel it.. i just know that without it i would be lost..

I like so many different tastes.. but i guess that my fav would be alternative, and American rock bands that are almost unhead of here in the uk (My fav being the Counting Crows.... also Matchbox 20, Dishwalla.. bands like that...

I dont know if any of you got this from previous posts, but i play guitar in a band and sing lead vocals...And i write all my own lyrics {See previous posts} so i guess that is why im so infulenced.. or was it the force feeding of bands like Guns and Roses and Nirvana when i was growing up?? im not sure..

As well as that i like to write.. have been working on a novel for about 10 years... i WILL finish it one day!!! ha ha.. sometime soon i hope, never get the time anymore..

Now, one thing i do have to say.. i spend ALLLL day talking to people about cars at work.. and i come home and i get this!!!!!

I have boughten myself a new hobby, I bought a used 64 impala supersport that I am refurbishing to be my "fun" car for the warm monthes.
DonnaD...

Now isnt the 64 the smaller model? as apposed to the late 50's one with the large tail fins?? unsure.. i just work with Uk and Jap models...

IM SUROUNDED BY CARS!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kayleigh... taking her work home with her.... LOL

X

KayleighTV_UK
12-22-2004, 02:21 PM
However to relax and wind down I'll go fly fishing for what ever is biting, or hang out in the garage and work on my 1972 'Cuda restoration project. That's a Plymouth Baracuda, Muscle car with a 440 Cu/In engine for you girls accoss the pond I believe it works out to about 7.3 liters.

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Save me from the work related convo.!!!

LOL.. 7.3ltr.. wow.. thats what we commonly call a TANK here...the biggest ive had is a 2.0ltr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL..

Kay..

KayleighTV_UK
12-22-2004, 02:24 PM

Stella... thats what we commonly call "Wife Beater" here in Essex.. cos most Essex guys drink 10 pints, go home, beat up the wife.. LOL

Bad humor, soz...

Talk sport?? almost as bad as Magic FM.. i have to listen to Magic ALLLL day.. how many times can one girl take Lemar being played OVER AND OVER AND OVER..

Ranting.. soz

Paula A
12-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Kay;
I used to build amps and speakers for a small custom shop back in the eighties, what fun that was, the best part was testing out the equipment before it was shipped out. I loved putting the equipment through the paces. I was never really a good player, but what i played was loud. some deep purple, black sabath, Dio, scopions, only a few riffs at a time.

I love G-n-R, scorps and Iron maiden, good stuff, we provided sound equipment for a couple of hair bands that were in town for some shows, Quiet riot, twisted sister, moltley crew, we helped out the Police back when Roxanne first came out (they were had a gig at a small club) and the Charlie Danials band did a vet benefit. good fun being back stage and meeting those guys. Somedays I wish I still did that kind of stuff, then the bills come rollling in and I remember that it did not pay very well. Oh well...

KayleighTV_UK
12-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Paula,

My music is a hobby!! I do it cos i love it.. i love singing to people, especialy when they dont really understand what you mean.. i love loosing people in my words.. does that make any sense??

Ive been planning to go on stage in london dressed sometime.. !! can never get the guts though..

When i was younger, my older brother drummed bands like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden and GNR into my mind forever.. oh i rememeber those days!! lol..

Kay

Paula A
12-22-2004, 03:29 PM
On stage dressed it could by your signature look, but I think Boy George already did that one. Look at the 80s bands, tight spandex pants, long big BIG hair, painted nails and makeup. they got away with it.

I do know what you mean about loosing people into you songs meaning, steven tylor of Aerosmith,pink floyd and elton John have been doing it for years.

DonnaT
12-22-2004, 03:45 PM
However to relax and wind down I'll go fly fishing for what ever is biting

I took up fly fishing a couple of years ago. My wife bought me lessons at LL Bean in Maine. That was fun.

Love to tie my own flies (plus less expensive), then out to see if they work.

I received a blue ribbon at the Virginia State Fair once for a unique fly.

KayleighTV_UK
12-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Ya know ive never seen the apeal in fishing?? i live on an island just off the mainland.. well. alright, .. there is about 20 meters of water between me and the main land, and everyone goes fishing.. and ive just never been a fan.. i dont see the apeal!!

I read somewhere that "crossdressers are creative to satisy their curious minds..." i suppose in a way thats true... everyone that has posted does something creative with their life.. and its all good..

Sounds like it was written by someone who dosent understand to me though...

Kay

Paula A
12-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Kay;
Fishing is quiet, just you and nature.
Fishing is a challenge, you trying to figure out what works to catch fish.
Fishing is fun trying to land a large fish on lightweight line.
Flyfishing is even more so, a small fish can feel like a whale on the end because of the way the rods are constructed.
good fishing can lead to good eating.

it also can be frustrating, cold and miserable too.
the anticipation, excitement and reward can almost feel as good a scoring a goal.

KayleighTV_UK
12-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Kay;
Fishing is quiet, just you and nature.
Fishing is a challenge, you trying to figure out what works to catch fish.
Fishing is fun trying to land a large fish on lightweight line.
Flyfishing is even more so, a small fish can feel like a whale on the end because of the way the rods are constructed.
good fishing can lead to good eating.

it also can be frustrating, cold and miserable too.
the anticipation, excitement and reward can almost feel as good a scoring a goal.

You mean kinda like playing a song live for the first time ? or the feeling of singing a song you wrote ten mins before you went on stage and wondering if it will even be clapped at?? i think i understand.. its just the cold part i cant get my head around! :)

Kay

Paula A
12-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Yes thats it!
The feeling is the same only we have different ways that we enjoy doing to find those feelings. makes sense.. I think.

I don't like the cold,the wet or the bugs either. So if the conditions are not to my liking I'll...
ummm...
I'll ...

Work on my car....

LOL

DonnaT
12-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Wade in a mountain trout stream and you'll know cold. Not around the head though, unless you slip and go under.

The cold water feels good though, on a hot summers day.

Vickie-CD
12-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Kay;
I used to build amps and speakers for a small custom shop back in the eighties, what fun that was, the best part was testing out the equipment before it was shipped out. I loved putting the equipment through the paces. I was never really a good player, but what i played was loud. some deep purple, black sabath, Dio, scopions, only a few riffs at a time.

I love G-n-R, scorps and Iron maiden, good stuff, we provided sound equipment for a couple of hair bands that were in town for some shows, Quiet riot, twisted sister, moltley crew, we helped out the Police back when Roxanne first came out (they were had a gig at a small club) and the Charlie Danials band did a vet benefit. good fun being back stage and meeting those guys. Somedays I wish I still did that kind of stuff, then the bills come rollling in and I remember that it did not pay very well. Oh well...

Paula, Black Sabbath has been one of my all time favorites, I can still remember buying there first album. I find a way to go to OZZFEST every year, the Sabbath Reunion was GREAT!!!!!!!
Best Wishes,
Vickie

KayleighTV_UK
12-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Yes thats it!
The feeling is the same only we have different ways that we enjoy doing to find those feelings. makes sense.. I think.

I don't like the cold,the wet or the bugs either. So if the conditions are not to my liking I'll...
ummm...
I'll ...

Work on my car....

LOL

LOL!!! you had to mention cars again... i thought i had got away from the for the day.......

Have a 4 day car show comming up.. and i gonna be talking to people about their cars the whole time..... arghhh

I love them really..

Kay

Vickie-CD
12-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Ya know ive never seen the apeal in fishing?? i live on an island just off the mainland.. well. alright, .. there is about 20 meters of water between me and the main land, and everyone goes fishing.. and ive just never been a fan.. i dont see the apeal!!

I read somewhere that "crossdressers are creative to satisy their curious minds..." i suppose in a way thats true... everyone that has posted does something creative with their life.. and its all good..

Sounds like it was written by someone who dosent understand to me though...

Kay
Kay, I live 2 and a half blocks from the ocean (Florida), I have never been into fishing either (or killing anything for that matter).
Best Wishes,
Vickie :)

Paula A
12-22-2004, 04:51 PM
kay;

Sorry....LOL.

See you girls tommorow, I'm Off.

KayleighTV_UK
12-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Kay, I live 2 and a half blocks from the ocean (Florida), I have never been into fishing either (or killing anything for that matter).
Best Wishes,
Vickie :)

The only thing i would ever kill would probably be the band busted.. but apart from that.. they drive me to violence.. LOL

I had a g/f that went to florida for 3 whole weeks once on holiday.. and didint take me.. (more sulking)

Kay

rachel_jean
12-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Another woodworker/saw dust maker here who also enjoys camping with the family.

Former model railroaderand would also like to build a garden railway myself, when we build our new home in several years (hopefully), still looking for land though.

Rachel Jean

Paige Turner
12-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Gambling. Poker in specific.

Wendy me
12-22-2004, 06:50 PM
for me when i need me time to release i spend time alone and with myslefe sometimes i can slip away for 2 hours in mindful meditation and just be........relaxed and awake ....outher days just being wendy and staying home and playing all day is nice too..........no "him" just me

Katiegirl
12-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Katieleigh

It must be music for me too and the garden.

Music relaxs me especially when "dressed" which is most days and the gardening gives me a sense of acheivement

:)

Mind of a woman, Body of a man, Lifes a bitch