PDA

View Full Version : Gauchos

LisaRose
09-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Just thought you might find this interesting. Gauchos, along with many of today's women's fashions were/are men's attire. I've liked the look since I first saw a woman with a pair some 5 years ago and finally bought a pair this summer. Then, because of the name, I went searching for their origin. Here's a pic from Wikkepaedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gauchos.jpg

I kind of like the skirts better though.

EricaCD
09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Gauchos are evil. Nothing more need be said...

Erica

Sky
09-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Just thought you might find this interesting. Gauchos, along with many of today's women's fashions were/are men's attire. I've liked the look since I first saw a woman with a pair some 5 years ago and finally bought a pair this summer. Then, because of the name, I went searching for their origin. Here's a pic from Wikkepaedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gauchos.jpg
I kind of like the skirts better though.

At first I wanted to kill you. :mad:

Then I wanted to kill the guy who posted that on Wikipedia.

And finally I decided not to kill anybody, but rather explain things better:

I'm from Argentina. That's where the name gaucho (=cowboy) comes from. It is a male word, it has no female equivalent. What is called "gaucho pants for ladies" here has a vague resemblance -like in veeery vaaague- to the pants our male gauchos used to wear. "Used to" because they disappeared towards the end of the 19th century. Our ladies' skirts at that time were long, single colored, often lace edged, not even close to the Mexican-looking things shown in that picture you posted, which is aptly described in Wikipedia (the main article) as a "touristic show" from Brazil, which 1) barely has a remote resemblance to the real thing, as is the norm in any self-respecting show for tourists and 2) gaúcho (accented ú, Brazilian spelling, clothing, way of life) is different from gaucho.

Allright, you can go now. :D

Elizabeth Anne
09-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I have had my eye on these for quite some time. I have to go out this weekend & find me a pair or two.

Yes I am
09-11-2006, 04:47 PM
I've only seen one girl who looked good in her gauchos, and she was about a size zero if not a negative one. Not a very flattering garment if you ask me.

KarenSusan
09-11-2006, 05:02 PM
No pants for me. Skirts and dresses only.

Anna Teri
09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I have a few gauchos laying around. They fit quite nicely.

Esther
09-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Gauchos are great, IMHO. I have both black and chocolate brown and wear them with pumps, heeled loafers and sandals.

Byllie
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Being that I truly enjoy loose flowing garments, gauchos are a favorite.

Karren H
09-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I love my gauchos.....

Love Karren

terrigurl
09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I like my gauchos a lot. I have a pair of black gauchos, which I wear with heels and a somewhat form-fitting top. I also have a pair of capris, a pair of crops, and it's so confusing! But I do think that I look better in skirts, although the various pants look good on me, or so I have been told.

MsJanessa
09-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Gauchos are great, IMHO. I have both black and chocolate brown and wear them with pumps, heeled loafers and sandals.
gauchos with a pair of high boots look nice too

Rebecca Jeanne
09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
It looks like they are very popular this year and I will probably purchace a pair from Talbots.

A change from the riding skirts which I love to wear.

DeniseNY
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
yuck. Gauchos look horrid on anybody shorter than 5'7", so I will stick to dresses and skirts, thank you.