PDA

View Full Version : Wig maintenance tips?

JenniferMint
09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
How do you keep your wig tangle-free? How do you keep the ends from frizzing up? (it's a synthetic wig btw)

Carroll
09-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Wig Care, The Basics

1. Gently comb out the wig with a WIG BRUSH.

2. Fill a sink with tepid(cool) water and add one or two caps of WOOLITE or a gentle shampoo. Don’t use a shampoo for dandruff control or those with conditioners in them.

3. Place wig in the sink, and let it soak or about 30 minutes. Swish it around a few times while it is soaking.

4. After the soak time, hold it under the faucet and thoroughly rinse, again, use cool to slightly warm water.

5. Refill the sink with tepid water and this time add about a 1/4 cup of your favorite fabric softener (unscented). I like FINAL TOUCH.

6. Soak for about 10 to 15 minutes. You have two choices now, either rinse the fabric softener out or leave it in. I have talked to people about this, and each one has a different answer. I like to leave the softener in as it makes the wig easy to brush out.
7. Roll the wig up in a towel and gently press on the towel to get the water out of the wig. NEVER COMB A WET WIG- NEVER BLOW DRY A SYNTHETIC WIG

8. Fill an old 2-liter soda bottle, or I use a laundry detergent bottle, and drape the wig over it to dry. Short to medium wigs take overnight to dry. Restyle your clean wig the next morning, using a wig brush or wig pick.

9. Once styled, spray lightly with a non-aerosol hair spray. For this I like L'Oreal Mega Spritz.

10. When wearing a wig I recommend wearing a wig cap. This not only allows you to tuck in your own hair, but helps keep oils from getting into the cap of the wig.

11. After wearing your wig, drap or hang it over something that will allow air to pass through it. I can usually get 2 days of usage by letting the wig air during the night.

JenniferMint
09-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Ah, I was only letting it soak for 2 minutes (going by the wig shampoo instructions)!

I'll try your instructions, thanks.

I've been using Downy fabric softener. Is that brand okay?

What is a "wig brush"? Is this different from a normal hairbrush? I've heard talk of using metal (instead of plastic) combs before.

Gisele
09-12-2006, 03:27 PM
It is hard to keep the wig friz away from the ends. A wig shop owner told me that alot of it is caused by friction from you clothes as you move. She now sews in human hair in the back and under where it makes contact. So that is a thought for you. My wig has done the same as yours.

I have cleaned my synthetic long hair wig with baby shampoo in the sink and it worked pretty well. The last time I wanted to cleand it was a test for it. (cause I'm getting ready to buy a human hair wig next week) I was in the shower with warm water and just used regular Swave shampoo. I just put it in my hands and gently rubbed it into the wig and washed it out. Then I put Swave conditioner in it and washed that out. I let it dry over night and I was shocked! I was like cardboard!! I thought what a waste. Then I brused it out and it was soooo soft! I couldn't believe it. It is like a new wig and smells so good. But remind you that the ends are still frizzed. That would have to be cut off.

So all in all take it for what it is worth. It worked for me it may for you. But I will wash it like that again. :thumbsup:

Beth

krisybryant
09-12-2006, 03:44 PM
What is a "wig brush"? Is this different from a normal hairbrush? I've heard talk of using metal (instead of plastic) combs before.

Google it for an picture, but it's usually thinner with metal tines with smooth tips on the tines.

Kate Simmons
09-13-2006, 04:09 AM
I use a curved wig comb. Ericka Kay

Tracy_Victoria
09-13-2006, 06:57 AM
How do you keep your wig tangle-free? How do you keep the ends from frizzing up? (it's a synthetic wig btw)

with all the care in the world, no matter what you do, all syn (fibre) wigs will friz as you use them more and more. ie they do wear out just like cars and computers. however better quailty fibres are known to last longer, and wash up better.

Taking good care of them will make them last longer, and some good suggestion and care tips have already been listed. the average life of a good wig is four to six months of daily use, but as we don't tend to wear them daily, they should last you a good couple of year more if stored and treated with care.

But after a while, even if you walk on tip toes your favorite floor rug will wear out, and there is nothing you can do, but replace it. wigs are just the same.

good Luck

Tracy_Victoria
09-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Wig Care, The Basics

Some great advice there

But just wanted to add never put a wet wig on a head form until fully dry! Do as carroll says and just hang over something rounded, (half a tenis ball on a stick works well, if you dont, you will stretch the cap. make sure it is fully dry first before putting on a form. oras carroll advise before attempting to comb as well

JenniferMint
09-17-2006, 01:03 PM
I've tried leaving the fabric softener in, but I don't like the smell of the wig afterwards. :( Guess I'll try rinsing it out next time...

BTW that list of steps doesn't include wig conditioner. I have some already---should I make use of it? If so, when do I use it?

Kate Simmons
09-17-2006, 01:11 PM
How do you keep your wig tangle-free? How do you keep the ends from frizzing up? (it's a synthetic wig btw)Prayer mostly. You have to read the instructions very carefully. Especially with long curly ones (which is why I've been getting straight cuts lately-maintenance free). Some you cannot brush at all or you will have tangle city. I've found it best to wash them in fabric softener but have used regular baby shampoo on occassion. This helps to keep them soft and hopefully tangle free. The best thing to probably do is get 100% human hair wigs like Karren does. They are the most forgiving when it comes to caring for but you have to set them all the time and they will go "straight" with the humidity because they are real hair. Ericka

Karren H
09-17-2006, 01:23 PM
My synthetics always got frizzy ends after a while but now that I've changed to all human hair that's not a problem...

Love Karren

EricaCD
09-17-2006, 02:23 PM
I guess my treatment, which involves the inside of a dozen jelly doughnuts, a microwave and an ice pick, is not the generally recommended approach...

Not much more to add here, but I will note that in brushing and combing, a little less can be a lot more. That is to say, while you should not let it get excessively tangled or matted or whatever, you should also not obsess about getting every single thread to sit just perfectly. The extra combing abuse will really shorten the life of a wig. Also, while it has been noted above, you really need to invest in a wig comb and/or wig brush. Don't use ordinary combs or brushes - even wide toothed ones.

Good luck!

Erica

Tina Dixon
09-17-2006, 03:41 PM
It's a job that can't be rushed, but I let mine soak for a bit then wash and rinse, I use pert shampoo, pat it dry as much as you can then brush it with a very open brush then let it drip dry the rest of the way, it looks like new, but I didn't know any thing about washing a wig till I asked here also.

PS: My wig is easy, just long and straight.

julie w
09-17-2006, 11:42 PM
buy wig shampoo and conditioner you can get it at beauty shops in most malls

Tracy_Victoria
09-18-2006, 01:45 PM
on the wig board I'm a member of, the users swear by something called Murphy's oil soap. Apparently it for cleaning woddern floors but it works wonders on fibre wigs.

Sorry I can't say I have tested it myself as it is not available over here, but if you have a wig getting near the end of it's days, it can only be worth a try! ie you have nothing to lose!

mysteryhorn57
09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
I'll try the washing / drying mentioned above...my two wigs look like DEAD ANIMALS!!! LOL:D