PDA

View Full Version : Music

alexis79
09-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey girls,

I was curious if any of your music choices change while enfemme? My taste in music usually stays the same while dressed. I am a serious musician, so playing enfemme is what I do most while dressed, as I love to play guitar. Theres nothing more satisfying to me than playing "To live is to Die" on my guitar by metallica while dressed. :devil:

Let me know what kind of tunes you girls jam out to while dressed, I would love to know.:D

angelfire
09-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, I don't play music, but I listen to the same general music. Rock & Metal.

Charleen
09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Child of the '60's so classic rock for this girl. Album rock, and even the top 40 some times. Really like Deep Tracks on XM radio that I get on my satellite TV. Love and xxxx, Lily

Sedona
09-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi Alexis,

Great question. You know, it's weird, but my tastes en femme run differently than in my regular guy mode. As a guy, I listen to a huge range of stuff from classic jazz to classical, classic R&B, hip hop, thrash metal, modern rock, world music, and on, and on. . .

But, as Sedona, I tend to go for female voiced electronic/techno. My current favorites are Peaches and Poe, plus progressive house and goth-inspired groups like Collide, Kidney Thieves and Rhea's Obsession. I dunno, listening to The Teaches of Peaches is just so danged hot.

Cheers,

Dragster
09-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Alexis,
I play (well I call it playing!) a jumbo accoustic, dressed or not. I find my "chest" gets in the way a little. Do you have the same problem?
Tony

theresa
09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
No change in music preference, but I listen to more of it.

Lawren
09-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Not at all. I still love my classic, obnoxious, politically incorrect, ear shattering rock -n- roll. :D

alexis79
09-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Tony
Alexis,
I play (well I call it playing!) a jumbo accoustic, dressed or not. I find my "chest" gets in the way a little. Do you have the same problem?
Tony

Yes I do have a little trouble with my breast forms sometimes. Playing higher on the fret board usualy tends to move the arm towards the body, thus pushing my guitar into my chest :heehee:, just need to wear my strap a little lower, so my guitar hangs just below the bust.

Calliope
09-12-2006, 08:06 PM
I have difficulty imagining grooving on 'classic rock,' Metallica, what-have-you while enfemme. Maybe I internalize the lyrics and singer too fervidly (what a teenager), but I have always indulged the fantasy, however brief, of being the singer (or, back in my guy days, the guitarist) while an especially happening passage buzzed through my ears. I have traded in my Bloodrock, MC5, Steppenwolf, etc. for Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and Grace Slick. (Just as intense, really.) It just seems weirdly out-of-body hearing anything else other than female words and tones nowadays.

Butterfly Bill
09-12-2006, 08:25 PM
I perform at the Renaissance Festival playing jigs, reels, and court dance tunes on my celtic harp while in Tudor drag. The only time I'm in drab is when I'm doing yard or construction work, and I don't listen to any music while doing that.

Sejd
09-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi Alexis
I am a musician too, guitar player as you are, but I have not played en femme yet, I think that playing the flute would be fun. Have to try that one day.
love to all you musicians
Sejd

Calliope
09-12-2006, 09:01 PM
I have not played en femme yet [...]

Didn't even occur to me that my early '90s act - a technogrunge cover of Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band album where I screamed through the whole set - was maybe some desire to get back into the femme. I had long hair and I dyed it black, too ('just like Yoko' I said at the time) but I never went that extra step. Too bad! I played that set at CBGBs - to maybe an audience of 20. Who knows, maybe in that corny Yoko black vinyl hot pants outfit she wore in the 70's, I would have found my rightful fame & fortune - er, stuck playing that junk for the rest of my days.

krisybryant
09-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I usually stick to my same techno, dnb and house, but yesterday it must have been that time of the month and I listened to classic rock love songs for the first in a long time. Yes, some of us CD have that time of the month when the hormones rage. :) Rock on!

Kimberley
09-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Blues, jazz, electronic, rock, folk, bluegrass, country (in a pinch) makes no difference. If it has a tune I will listen to it or maybe play it. (guitar, keyboards, percussion oh and yeah cowbell. Gotta have cowbell.)

Charleen
09-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Didn't even occur to me that my early '90s act - a technogrunge cover of Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band album where I screamed through the whole set - was maybe some desire to get back into the femme. I had long hair and I dyed it black, too ('just like Yoko' I said at the time) but I never went that extra step. Too bad! I played that set at CBGBs - to maybe an audience of 20. Who knows, maybe in that corny Yoko black vinyl hot pants outfit she wore in the 70's, I would have found my rightful fame & fortune - er, stuck playing that junk for the rest of my days.

hopefully your voice is better than hers. Actually, I think my dog has a better voice than hers, but that's my opinion. In the 70's I could have gotten away with those hot pants. Could have looked good on you I'll bet. BTW, CBGBs is shutting it's doors this month. Not sure when, but what a loss. All in the name of "progress". love and xxxx, Lily

Karren H
09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Nope, doesn't change.....hard rock...

Love Karren

angelfire
09-12-2006, 09:46 PM
I guess I may as well go into specific bands I listen to, cause why not? Most of them are relatively new and/or unheard of by older generations, but anyway, here goes.

Mostly the rock/metal
-The Black Maria
-Crazy Town
-Linkin Park
-Silverstein
-Acceptance
-Adema
-Bullet For My Valentine
-In Flames
-Atreyu
-Funeral for a friend
-Story of the Year
-Anberlin
-AFI
-Daggers Bearing Notes
-As I Lay Dying
-Trivium
-Something Corporate
-Jack's Mannequin

And the little bit of hip-hop I do listen to
-Shifty
-K-os
-Outkast
-R Kelly
-Gnarls Barkley
and a few other random songs by random artists

Calliope
09-12-2006, 09:56 PM
hopefully your voice is better than hers.

Worse!

Funny, I was obsessed with Ono when I was a kid just discovering rock music (hmmmmm - same year I first dressed now that I think of it). Wore a custom-made Yoko Ono sweatshirt to school for a while, bought all of her albums throughout the 70s. Wrote her a fan letter in '72 and, checkitout, she sent me a paperback edition of her 'poetry' book Grapefruit signed Love + Peace John Lennon Yoko Ono - and it was her signature I dug most! Hangs framed on my wall to this day. Cannot stand her music anymore I confess.

angelfire
09-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I also like to sing, but I dunno if I am very good. And I don't sing feminine songs.

Samantha B L
09-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Alexis,it's interesting that one of us girls should mention music in the Forum. I play lead and slide guitar but I rarely play enfemme.I play mainly blues and a little rock and roll.Sort of improvised blues-rock and loud.I play one of the older 50's Les Pauls.I listen to all of the old blues guys and I like the MC5 and The Yardbirds.I sometimes play enfemme,but rarely.When I'm fem I often like classical music such as Mozart,Beethoven,Brahms,Bach,Shubert,Chopin, Handel,etc..I got started with Rock and Roll when I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan when I was 7 and it may sound nerdy but I've always had a preference for the Top 40 radio of the mid-sixties.That's something that hasn't been replaced and of course,it existed in the mid-sixties and not anymore!It's neat that this music thing has come up this time.I've been thinking about posting a review and history of the German mid-sixties Rock Music TV Show called "Beat Beat Beat"for several weeks now but I'm not sure if The Lounge or Writers Society would be suitable.Oh well,the only thing I can do is throw paint at the wall and see what happens!Thank you all so much for bringing this music thing up.Cheers,Samantha B L in Wisconsin

natasha
09-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I couldnt play a tune if my life depended on it, always wanted to though. Heck, I cant even dance!!! I was always the one who sat at the bar watching and come to think of it had a tendency to look at what the girls were wearing (go figure). Well, back to the point of the thread I love hard rock from the 70's and 80's, AC/DC Aerosmith Sabbith then it goes to Styx Boston Kansas Segar then I never really knew why but Air Supply Abba always did something for me. Now that I think about it I would sometimes search the radio for what most on the other side would say the mushy stuff. Although, I always did it while alone...go figure.

Anima-87-388
09-12-2006, 11:12 PM
I like playing metal :happy:

AmandaM
09-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Smooth Jazz and 80's NewWave! OK, some Zeppelin too.

Oops, almost forgot my girl on the left. ABBA!!!!

Melinda G
09-13-2006, 12:25 AM
I like to put on Doris Day's, I Enjoy Being A Girl, while I'm getting dressed. Heh heh.:D

KarenSusan
09-13-2006, 12:42 AM
OMG, I'm really out of place here. My tastes run along the lines of Henry Mancini's "Moon River".

CheriTV2006
09-13-2006, 12:52 AM
I have my personalized 3 burned CDs entitled "Queen Party-1,2,3 that contain old songs that: gave me tg feelings when young;have a "soft" or "pretty" quality to them: or that have tg innuendos or inflections.I always end up femming out with them in the mirror solo or have fem-partied with cd partners.Heres the general mix:Arnold Layne/See Emily Play (Pink Floyd),You Showed Me (Turtles),Tried To Be A Man(Easybeats),The Happening (Diana Ross), Cherry Cherry(N.Diamond),To Sir With Love (Lulu),Thank You Girl/She's A Woman/I Feel Fine(Beatles),Twilight Time(Moody Blues),Lady Godiva(Peter & Gordon),Fernando (Abba),I Saw Her Again (Mamas & Papas),Summer In the City (Lovin' Spoonful),I Want Candy/King Kong (Bow Wow Wow), Europa/She Blinded Me With Science (Thomas Dolby),Hey Little Girl(Syndicate of Sound),Game Of Love (Wayne Fontana),/Cinderella Sunshine/Let Me(Paul Revere&Raiders),(Bunch of Bowie,Lou Reed,Mott,Gary Numan,N.Y.Dolls,Gene Loves Jezebel).I guess I have a retro 60s,glam 70's,techno-pop 80's thing.

AmberTG
09-13-2006, 01:14 AM
I was a bass player in bar bands for 20 or so years. I played most of those years with the same guitar player. We played a mix of mid 60s through the 80s rock music, even a little folk music at the beginning of the night. We both sang, lots of harmonys, took turns singing lead. That ended about 7 years ago when I had to take a job where I was working evening shift and weekends. Now that sucked! I've always used Fender tube amps for bass, both a 50 watt Bassman and a 100 watt Bassman, I have a Musicman Sabre and a Gibson Q80 custom shop bass. My son's using a lot of my equipment now. I do miss it! And yes, I used to practice en femme and I was writing songs for a while en femme, but of course I was in the closet at that time, my x knew, but she usually didn't like to see me that way, so I played that way when I was alone. Back in the 80s, I used to smoke a bowl and then get en femme and try to write songs. A rather intense experience, for sure. Alas, I gave up smoking pot about 5 or 6 years ago, was getting too paranoid. Anyway, I love to sing the classic girl stuff, if I can get the high notes. Stevie Nicks is right up my alley, I also like the Motels from the early 80s. Of course I like all kinds of stuff. I always wanted to go on stage and perform en femme as the lead singer, now there's a fantasy for you.
Amber

AmberTG
09-13-2006, 01:15 AM
CheriTV, I like your mix!

Eugenie
09-13-2006, 02:51 AM
I am also a guitar player. I played in a jazz sexted a few years ago. Now I hardly play anymore. All my musician friends are on retirement and moved away from here.

I have played while "en femme" in private but I never played "en femme" in public. However, since I like to improvise in Scat (I'm a great fan of Ella) I could envision an act as a female singer :happy: My voice is naturally rather high pitched: I'm often called "madam" on the phone...

:hugs:
Eugenie

Janereed
09-13-2006, 03:46 AM
Hey,

Cool topic thread starter!

I had been thinking about this recently, Ive always been into rock-ish music, dont mind the occasional break breat either.
More recently Ive noticed Im liking music by female artists more, PJ Harvey being one, Lilly Allen is ok, albeit a little up herself... I love "dress" by PJ Harvery, I reccomend everyone listens to it, if you havent already.

Sweet Marie
09-13-2006, 08:14 AM
"Just like a woman" by Bob Dylan

Marie

AmberTG
09-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Sounds like we could have a really cool band here, we just need a drummer:heehee:

Calliope
09-13-2006, 02:07 PM
OMG, I'm really out of place here. My tastes run along the lines of Henry Mancini's "Moon River".

What a marvelous tune! And so many great versions! A quintessential musical moment of the 60s!

[...] I Want Candy/King Kong (Bow Wow Wow) [...]

Definitely on heavy rotation for me! (That jazzy guitar is insane!)

As far as the Fab4 goes, don't forget there's lots of female vocalist versions out there.

You ain't lived 'til you've heard Nancy Sinatra do 'Day Tripper'!

Tracy_Victoria
09-13-2006, 02:24 PM
I take it Dude looks like a lady, would not be a good choice! :D

Butterfly Bill
09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Sounds like we could have a really cool band here, we just need a drummer:heehee:

Ain't got a sit-down set, but I have an ashiko.

LouiseCassell
09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Music tastes do not change at all as the clothes will never change me.

Sky
09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey girls,

I was curious if any of your music choices change while enfemme? My taste in music usually stays the same while dressed. I am a serious musician, so playing enfemme is what I do most while dressed, as I love to play guitar. Theres nothing more satisfying to me than playing "To live is to Die" on my guitar by metallica while dressed. :devil:

Let me know what kind of tunes you girls jam out to while dressed, I would love to know.:D

I have played music (keyboards) all of my life. Right now I play with an oldies band, mostly 60s stuff, some late 50s, some early 70s. Beatles, Beach Boys, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Dave Clark 5, Monkees, Frankie Valli, etc. I play in drab, but I never noticed any difference being dressed up or not. Oh, hold on a second, hitting the bass pedals when wearing heels is really a drag.

Dragster
09-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Definately my era too Sky. I first heard Bill Haley's "Rock around the Clock" when I was 12, and have been hooked on 50/60s rock/pop ever since! Went to my first Rolling Stones concert only 2 weeks ago, in Sheffield. Heaven!
Tony

Lawren
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM

I'm afraid I wouldn't be much good in a band. My voice is terrible, my hearing is a bit off in one ear, I can't carry a tune in a songbook, I can't play any instrument, etc. But, wait a minute. Every band needs at least one roadie. I can drive the bus and set up the lights.... I'm in. Let's do it.:D

Ally K
09-13-2006, 09:12 PM
I've been a musician for 14 years... drums mainly, but I also play guitar. I've played en femme a couple times, but it doesn't really change the way I play.

My musical taste doesn't really change when I'm dressed, either. A good song is a good song, no matter what style the music is.

-Ally

dann
09-13-2006, 09:52 PM
I like tons of stuff except country. It doesn't change when i'm dressed. I sing in a band. Would be pretty cool to sing live dressed.Hell I've done it in all sorts of face paint at this point anyway. To them, it'd just be another costume.

Anyway, favs are:
Tool
Pink Floyd
STP
Perfect Circle
Nonpoint
Marylin Manson

Various kinds of trance, techno and other "club" music, but not necasarily "gay" club music...mostly just becuase it seems to poppy sometimes.

I like straight up 70's rock as well.

Can't stand 80's hairbands. Plus it's unfair.Some of those guys made millions not being able to sing or play a lick, but just becuase they were all in drag.The chicks were crazy about 'em!Spandex, lace, make up, hairspray..the whole nine yards.

Who's up for starting a real CD band? Now it's our time!

We'll call it Dike.:D

dann

angelfire
09-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Dann, I like A Perfect Circle as well. Good stuff.

Melanie
09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Alexis,
I knew someone would bring up this topic before long and I have to respond.
I may be one of the oddest CD's on the planet and I know many who read this will tell me that I have a problem accepting myself,they may be correct in some ways.

As a male I love classic rock,70's 80's pop, New Age music,classical,new wave,some country.Basically anything from Abba to Led Zeppelin and some other genres.
As a male many of these tunes that I grew up with have a very very deep rooted meaning to me(hard to explain),where memories of some of the best times in my life come rushing back to me,so they are somewhat of a comfort zone in themselves.And no not all of them are heavy rock.They all make me feel totally male but in a nice way,myself also being a serious musician,and I get reflective.

Now as a girl I can dance to Madonna(whom I cannot stand as a male),techno,house music,trance or even a little bit of R&B,or rap tinged pop.I feel sexier as a girl most of the time and even dance differently without really trying when dressed.I guess the girl in me takes over for lack of a better word.I have even danced with guys,nothing heavy duty but it's pretty weird with a really big/tall guy with his arm around your waist telling you how sexy you are,lol.Dancing as a girl is quite a rush.

So in short yes songs affect my different sides.

Hugs,

Melanie :hugs:

AmberTG
09-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Lawren, you got the job! :D

Sky
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
As a male I love classic rock,70's 80's pop, New Age music,classical,new wave,some country.Basically anything from Abba to Led Zeppelin and some other genres.
So in short yes songs affect my different sides.

Melanie, are you sure your sides have such different musical tastes? I haven't heard many guys admitting to love Abba... other than me and the gurls in Priscilla Queen of the Desert, that is. :heehee:

(Ooh, now I am tempted to sing Mamma Mia in drag at least once!)

Calliope
09-14-2006, 02:13 PM
I haven't heard many guys admitting to love Abba...

They had a period of 'serious critical revaluation' in the late-80s and it was OK, then at least, for hipster guys to dig Abba. (Trivia note: 'Mama Mia' was the 45 which unseated the long reign of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'; when you think of it, both tunes have a lot in common!) Madonna got the nod from the grungers in the 90s. The main thing I see is guys need to hold on to their Nirvana and Metallica in order to make these 'soft listening' admissions whereas, as I see it, the crazy fems can just let that boy noise go.

Or maybe it's I'm just getting old.

mysteryhorn57
09-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Aside from my day gig, I play music on weekends and whenever possible. I average about 80 music gigs / year, it is a good second "job".
My tastes are the same, dressed or drab. I perform blues, jazz, and classical, and those are genres I like to listen to. I have VERY eclectic tastes, covering everything except most rap and most country.

For me the great neglected musical genius has to be FRANK ZAPPA. He was dismissed by critics, radio programmers (the LEAST creative folks on the planet), and other dullards for his x rated lyrics, and not taken seriously because he wrote "funny" songs. His best material had NO WORDS at all.

I like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bird and Diz, Tower of Power, Bach, Beethoven, Thomas Dolby, That 1 Guy, Fat Boy Slim, Tito Puente, Stravinsky, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Brian Setzer Orch., Brecker Brothers, and many, many others.

I despise MTV, VH1, and most radio stations. I hate formats like "Christian Rock" (two words that do not belong in the same sentence), or "Classic Rock".
By only airing "hits", vast bodies of great work go unheard. This is a cultural atrocity. "Formats" and "Playlists" = censorship by exclusion.

RANT OVER! Have a nice day, and do not fear things you have'nt heard. You might even like them!

Calliope
09-14-2006, 08:45 PM
For me the great neglected musical genius has to be FRANK ZAPPA.

Always considered Zappa one of the most misogynist lyricists in rock music.

[Scratches head.]

Melanie
09-16-2006, 01:14 AM
[quote=Sky;562988]Melanie, are you sure your sides have such different musical tastes? I haven't heard many guys admitting to love Abba... other than me and the gurls in Priscilla Queen of the Desert, that is. :heehee:

Sky,yes I love Abba's music for many reasons in drab or femme mode.It was seriously well crafted pop music with two girls who sung like angels.Those two blokes in Abba(Benny and Bjorn) both gifted songwriters for sure and are totally under-rated.

Hugs, Melanie :hugs:

Siobhan Marie
09-16-2006, 02:48 AM
I find that my taste in music doesn't change when dressed.

:hugs: Anna x

sparks
09-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Always considered Zappa one of the most misogynist lyricists in rock music.

[Scratches head.]

Zappa was a God. He could do anything. I miss him.

I listen to everything Classica to Opera, Frank Sinatra to Metallica, Willie Nelson to Rob Zombie. Never limit yourself in taste.