PDA

View Full Version : Wigs, Who Needs Them

krisybryant
09-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Is anyone else having problems with wigs? I'm so frustrated I about threw my one 'neckline' wig out the window. It looks bad. I look like a guy in a bad wig. I think I spent about $40 on it. I really don't want to try and exchange it but dang it.

Part of my problem is I don't like hair in my face - I'm not used to it in drab - so should I get used to it? Is that just a girls life?

westcoastCD
09-12-2006, 08:56 PM
wigs can definately be annoying. I have one with bangs, so i don't really have a problem with hair in my face, but I can relate with how they don't look quite right. try to find one that matches your own hair colour/type, and that'll make it a bit better. also, i think you can get wigs specially fitted to your head, but I'm not sure how much they cost.

Jennaie
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Wigs are very difficult to buy. I don't think you need a human hair wig for it to look real. Actually, I do not like human hair wigs. I do think you need to spend more than 40 dollars if you want a wig that looks real. But don't throw your wig in the trash. When I buy a wig I make an appointment at a beauty salon to have the wig cut and styled on me. That makes a huge difference.

I would suggest that you purchase a quality wig from either a local store or someone on the net who knows what they are doing. I bought my wig from the the wig goddess, http://www.wiggoddess.com/ I sent my pic to her and ask her to help me find a wig that would look good on me.

She did a good job picking it out and I then had it cut and styled at a beauty salon. I am very happy with it.

Unless you want to spend a thousand dollars on a european human hair wig, I would not waste my money on one that only cost a couple hundred. I perfer synthetic wigs that cost between 90 and 140.

I love the Henry Margu collection and the price is money well spent.

One of the comments that I love to hear from my friends is that the wig does not have that "wig" look.

Good Luck.

Karren H
09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Nope, never really have a prolem, mine are all human hair but tey require a lot of maintenance vs the synthetics.... Maybe you should think about paying more and getting a professional fitting at a salon? Just an idea..

I had up to 16 wigs at one time, down to 4 now and thinking of getting a cute short bob or a medium page boy...

Love Karren

Tina Dixon
09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
:eek: Who needs them, I do, I'm not Tina till I put it on, pure and simple, and I just spent a good hour on it tonight washing it and brushing it, I think it will look like the day I wore it home:D

krisybryant
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Jennaie and Karren thanks. Both of you look so good in yours, it shows you know your hair.

vbcdgrl
09-12-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm sure you will find you look better in a wig where the hair falls at least to your shoulders. I know I found that to be true. I just can't wear short wigs.
Yes,the hair in the face is hard to get used to, but, in time, dealing with it becomes second nature. I find myself unconsciously kinda shaking my head or flicking the hair back with my fingers. It's kinda fun.

Vikki

Karren H
09-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks....Well, it does take time to get the look you want and you may have to go through a few wigs before you find one you like or that fits your face....

I always considered hair as being fun so I enjoy different styles and colors...

Love Karren

GG Vanya
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Wigs are very difficult to buy. I don't think you need a human hair wig for it to look real. Actually, I do not like human hair wigs. I do think you need to spend more than 40 dollars if you want a wig that looks real. But don't throw your wig in the trash. When I buy a wig I make an appointment at a beauty salon to have the wig cut and styled on me. That makes a huge difference.

I would suggest that you purchase a quality wig from either a local store or someone on the net who knows what they are doing. I bought my wig from the the wig goddess, http://www.wiggoddess.com/ I sent my pic to her and ask her to help me find a wig that would look good on me.

She did a good job picking it out and I then had it cut and styled at a beauty salon. I am very happy with it.

Unless you want to spend a thousand dollars on a european human hair wig, I would not waste my money on one that only cost a couple hundred. I perfer synthetic wigs that cost between 90 and 140.

I love the Henry Margu collection and the price is money well spent.

One of the comments that I love to hear from my friends is that the wig does not have that "wig" look.

Good Luck.

Jennaie,

Some great styles in the Margu collection! I love the "Lucky" in the Elements section. Hell, I just might buy one for myself. :D

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-12-2006, 11:47 PM
A $40 wig is in the "party wig" level of quantity and usually looks like a bad wig. In the $90-140 range, you'll get a good quality wig that can look quite realistic.

You can find styles that don't have bangs, for example the one I my photos is the Soiree (http://www.wigsalon.com/wigx.htm?wig=1135) from Tress Allure. Yes, the hair sometimes gets in my face, but you get used to it.

Finding the right style and color that work for you can take some experimentation, so I'd start off by shopping at someplace that will help provide advice. For the online place, as Jennaie mentioned, you can usually email them a photo or two. (Wig Salon (http://www.wigsalon.com) and Wilshire Wigs (http://www.wilshirewigs.com) are a good online places to shop as well.)

KarenSusan
09-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Is anyone else having problems with wigs? I'm so frustrated I about threw my one 'neckline' wig out the window. It looks bad. I look like a guy in a bad wig. I think I spent about $40 on it. I really don't want to try and exchange it but dang it.

Part of my problem is I don't like hair in my face - I'm not used to it in drab - so should I get used to it? Is that just a girls life?

A GG I know told me to just give the wig a really good shake. It becomes more natural looking. Believe it or not this seems to work. Use a feminine gesture to brush the hair out of your face. See how many news reporters do this when they are outside.

Honey Lynn
09-13-2006, 01:17 AM
I've currently got two wigs, they're alseep right now or I'd let them post this reply, maybe in the morning when they get up? Now on a serious note, B Flat or is it A Major Tom? I've always disliked the way my wigs make my head sweat. Methinks it's mostly due to the huge expanse of exposed skin up top. I too had to get used to having hair touching my face, gots me some really skittish skin don't ya know? It's really touchy that way, but then again if I were stretched across this bone structure I'd be a bit touchy as well. Once I've got the epidermis all settled down I kinda like the feel of the hair grazing my face though, feels feminine and oh so girly ya know? Okay.....okay??? where did the topic of discussion get off to? Be back once I find it again.

Kiss Kiss and Buh Bye Bye, Honey (The Bunny) Lynn:D

Snookums
09-13-2006, 01:21 AM
I used to wear my hair long,when I was much younger,but stress and age has turned me hair grey,I never needed a wig.Now I wear my hair short,but if were to wear a wig,I'd want a Betty Boop hair style wig.
Boop Boop Dee Boop

Satrana
09-13-2006, 01:41 AM
If you really want a natural looking wig then save up and go for a high quality wig which will set up back about $200. Compared to a $40 wig, its like stepping up from a Mini to a Ferrari, the differece really is that great. Spending $40 on a cheap wig is just throwing your money away.

Buy wigs from named brands. I have several from Lious Ferre which are so good I thought it was human hair. Not only do they look natural but the way the hair hangs and moves is also spot on. Also these wigs have special filament tops which allow you to part the hair in a natural fashion. They are the only ones I own which really are as good as they look in the advertisement pictures.

It is also advisable to stick with something close to your natural hair color so that your skin type, eyebrows etc all blend in well. That usually means staying away from the blond wigs.:(

Lisa Golightly
09-13-2006, 02:03 AM
I found wigs quite annoying way back when I used them... I used to attack it with a brush and ended up going out like a static electricity experiment gone wrong. So, after a series of headaches caused by tight wigs, I decided to grow my hair... I've been poked in the eye by it, got it trapped in the car window, and eaten it so often now I don't really remember what it was like have short hair... Still, now when I attack it with a brush I look like a static electricity experiment gone wrong... *sigh*

Tracy_Victoria
09-13-2006, 02:05 AM
I think I spent about $40 on it. I really don't want to try and exchange it but dang it.

$40 dollars is nothing for a wig, and probably the reason you can't do anything with it. the saying is buy cheap, buy twice, and with wigs, never is there a more true saying. a lot of far east counties have jumped on the cheap wig trade, as it is quote boyant, hence like most things there is good and bad.

the cheaper far eastern stuff either is badly cut, poorly made or cut, or the fibres fall out at an alarming rate. As with anything cheap sometimes you can find a pearl, but you have to open a lot of oysters to find them. Hence it better just to invest in a better quality wig in the first place.

instead of buying several cheap wigs invest in one good one, and if possable try it on, even if you have to travel to try it, there is nothing like having the right wig, and when you do, it will enhance your fem look ten fold. also stick to good brands, ie noriko, Rene of Paris, Amore, Revlon, etc, and if you must, post a question on a wig you like in the beauty section. Others may have or have tried the wig you want to by.

lastly you don't need to spend a fortune, check the close out (tag) clearance, (end of line) stuff, I've bought $300 dollar wigs for $50 dollars, but they only came in a few colours. so it worth checking.

Yes, the same as RG have, but some of them hate it as well, which means they use clips and grips, and as well! So as holding the hair out of your eyes they can be used to secure the wig to your real hair also with practice.

Lastly start with a fibre/synthetic wig, they are much easier to use and store over real hair, and they normally will come good with a quick shake and comb!

Good luck

Ellaine
09-13-2006, 02:07 AM
The repeated sugestion that price equalls satisfaction is WRONG!!!

Try lots, and check the price last!

My best wig is an ebay Hong Kong ten dollar gem. I went back to seller for another without highlights (see avatar) I was so pleased.

Mandy Salamander
09-13-2006, 03:48 AM
okay,,, first suggestion, try Beautytrends,(www.BeautyTrends.com),, they carry a large selection of reasonably priced,($40-179) wigs of decent quality, and usually have close-out styles on sale cheap,(i just got 2 formerly $150 wigs for $10 and $20),, and they have an annual clearance sale on many styles usually 'round mid-december,,,and NO ONE,(not wilshire, wig salon or wig goddess) absolutely NO ONE sells Revlon or Adolfo styles as cheaply!!! and their customer service 's excellant, 'f y' order online y'll have your wig 'n less than a week, 'n their girls have always,always been very sweet t' mee on th' phone, 'n never a problem with returns,,,,,,,,,, now,,, that being said, i, personally prefer, 'n strongly recommend, finding a local wig salon where you can try on 'n get assistance finding appropriate styles 'n colors,( i found a lovely Korean lady locally, who 's extraordinarily helpful),,, maybe a mid-length curly/wavy style that feathers back away from your face,,, 'n give y'self time t' get used t' your new look b'fore trashing th' wig,,, some wigs doo take a good deal of work, or "breaking in" b'fore they look natural, sometimes i think i oughta jus' let th' dog play with 'm for a couple days first!!,,, i've only been wearing wigs for about 5 years now, soooo i doo sympathize,,, i doo soooo miss my hair,, am even considering hair replacement surgery, maaaaaaybe!!!,,,,, anyhoots, good luck 'n your search!!!

Kate Simmons
09-13-2006, 04:00 AM
I dance a lot, so hair in my face is normal. Also in my mouth, etc. but moving around like that makes it go all over (and I DO move--mostly club music). As far a wearing the wigs, I have no option as I'm bald. unless I want to look like Kojak in a dress (which I may try sometime anyway). :heehee: Ericka Kay

Mandy Salamander
09-13-2006, 04:37 AM
As far a wearing the wigs, I have no option as I'm bald. unless I want to look like Kojak in a dress (which I may try sometime anyway). :heehee: Ericka Kay

LOL,,,,, not trying t' drag th' post off subject, but whilst we're there,,, been sitting in with my nephew's punk rock band while they look for real replacements, 'f this 's to continue for a while, have really considered carving what's left of my real hair into a mohawk, 'n keeping th' ponytail,,, thinking,,, might not be such a bad femme look!!!!!,,,,, tho' likely a bit inappropriate f' my age,,, not t' mention my job!!!

Kate Simmons
09-13-2006, 05:48 AM
LOL,,,,, not trying t' drag th' post off subject, but whilst we're there,,, been sitting in with my nephew's punk rock band while they look for real replacements, 'f this 's to continue for a while, have really considered carving what's left of my real hair into a mohawk, 'n keeping th' ponytail,,, thinking,,, might not be such a bad femme look!!!!!,,,,, tho' likely a bit inappropriate f' my age,,, not t' mention my job!!!Sounds neat Mandy. Give it a "shot". You can always wear a "wig" if the look doesn't work. I didn't get where I am today (!?) by being timid.:heehee: Ericka Kay

Tina Dixon
09-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Jennaie,

Some great styles in the Margu collection! I love the "Lucky" in the Elements section. Hell, I just might buy one for myself. :D
Better send me picture then:D

Tracy_Victoria
09-13-2006, 06:35 AM
The repeated sugestion that price equalls satisfaction is WRONG!!!

Correct!

But price equal quality and that the difference!

I also post on a board for hair loss, that I have become a very welcomed member of it, dispite the board being for GG with hair loss problems, and them knowing I'm a gender male. I ended up there by accident, but was asked to stay because of my positive views and knowledge.

the most common subject is wigs, and there price and value, and these people wear wigs full time, 24 hours a day, ie their wigs last weeks, months if there lucky, and cheaper wigs are often sort by those that are on a tight budget, and can't afford the luxury of spending even $80 dollars on a wig! I could relate you a thousand storys of cheap wigs gone bad, yes there are some good cheap wigs, but you have to search for them, and you can't give a wig, 3 months wear, and several washes, in a shop!

I have wigs I have paid a lot for, and they don't suit me, I have cheaper wigs that look real good, but thats only in look, and we are not talking just the look here, all wigs wear out, the average being 4 month of wear (ie daily uses, and washing when needed) as crossdressers we do not give a wig that sort of use unless your full time 24/7 however if you did, you would soon be aware that price doesn't matter, but quailty does, and you only get quailty normally with the better branded goods.

And As I said, if you look, you can find a bargain, with out paying a lot.

Adolfo Domino $26.00

http://studiohair.net/mall/clearance-wigs.asp

or you could pay $86.00 if you didn't look!

http://www.headcovers.com/moreinfo.php?id=148

Noriko Bree $79.00

http://www.wigsalon.com/wigx.htm?wig=290&clearance=1

or $187, $118 dollars with discount

http://www.loriswigsite.com/noriko_med-long2.html

Amore Poppy a real very high quaility wig (normally $250+) Here $79 dollars

http://www.loriswigsite.com/noriko_med-long2.html

Amore Wigs - Poppy - 2517 (Mono)-Med. Brown-Inventory Reduction
Color: Medium Brown
2nd Color: None
Size: Average

1 $75.00 $75.00
Sub Total $75.00

only available in one colour, but is shows if you shop around, you can buy quaility, and buy cheap as well, you just have to look!

and if it was spend $80 on a poppy, or buy 2 cheap $40 dollar wigs from china, I cant honestly say the poppy will still be usable, long after the cheap ones have died!

Price does make a difference!

suzy
09-13-2006, 06:42 AM
I am not sure why all the fuss over wigs.... I have purchased six and love them all. I prefer the medium or long wigs and as for hair getting in my face...yes it does, but then without it how would I use my ladylike swish and flick to push it back? It is a female characteristic and we are of course females....right?

So....don't fight it, embrace it..enjoy it... make it who you are!:2c: :hugs:

Karren H
09-13-2006, 07:47 AM
I agree that lowish price and poor quality aren't necessarily equivalent...my 4 current human hair wigs are all very nice and I paid $45 to $65 plus shipping from 3 ebay wig shops that I frequent...(Hair Me Now, Rocky Mountain Beauties, and U Look Marvelous)...all were on clearence of coarse, all made in korea.

Love Karren

samcd
09-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Hello i this is the site i get my wigs from check it out http://www.paulayoung.com/

Kate Jennings
09-13-2006, 08:06 AM
I don't feel complete without a wig. When I place a wig atop my head it is my "crowning glory" and it is then I feel the most femme.

I do believe however you need to try wigs on at the shop, we have all seen the difference between the way a wig looks online and the way it looks on your head fresh from the plastic.

I also think the ladies that recommend a cut to fit you face are correct that is the ideal.

Also I fully recommend that one wear makeup when trying on a wig to get a feel for the way it will look when dressed.

Sky
09-13-2006, 06:00 PM

I personally never had an issue with price. Had great wigs for 40 bucks and tried lousy ones which were much more expensive (didn't buy them). That's not the main point. The real issue is, how is your face shaped compared to what wig cut will improve it. Unless you have a keen sense of aesthetics (many girls don't) you should probably go to a stylist and ask for advice. And if you are closeted, look over the Internet, not for commercial ads but for generic beauty advice on face shapes, shadow lines, etc. Don't fall for what looks awesome on some model's face. Ask an expert what really works on you -be it a cheap synthetic thing or an expensive, top of the line human hair.

Lawren
09-13-2006, 09:13 PM
I could never find wigs that I could afford in my size. Large. My solution is to let my hair grow. I prefer it that way anyway.

Jennaie
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Jennaie,

I love that wig also Vanya. I believe that wig comes without the bangs cut, so you will have to have it cut and styled, but that is a given with any wig for me.

Francine
09-13-2006, 09:29 PM
with out the wig.. >>>> :happy:
:heehee:

and I had $40 wigs.. had mind you.
Now, wigs are an 'investiment' and I only have two, the 'cheapest' costing about $120 monofilament wig, (the one in the avatar/profile pics)

Francine

Kristen Kelly
09-13-2006, 10:08 PM
I have 6 different wigs, but I am trying to grow out my own hair to a bob/shag cut, it is presently brunette with blonde highlights a little shorter than I want.

Julogden
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
If at all possible, buy your wigs from a wig store, let them help you pick out a wig that will suit you.

Ideally, you should get it trimmed and styled to fit your face, but at least have it professionally styled so that you can see it's true potential, as synthetic wigs don't look very good straight from the box, and require more than a shake to make them look really good.

Get a wig brush with metal teeth, the brushes with synthetic fiber teeth will cause massive static electricity problems.

Good luck!
Carol:hugs:

krisybryant
09-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the advise ladies. I think I know what I must do now. This wig was more of an impulse/convenient purchase with my pumps.

krisybryant
11-14-2006, 11:25 PM
After some suggestions on here I got an idea and tried real hair conditioner. I put about 1/4 cup in to a sink on room temp water and mixed it up really well then using my wig comb combed in the mix. It helped take out the tangles and frize and take it down a notch. It's not a too bad wig after all. I will shop for a longer one though and higher quality (price).

Thanks for the suggestions/brandnames.

Scotty
11-15-2006, 12:20 AM
I had hair back when I was younger that women would always compliment me on - and I liked that! It never bothered me as it was MY hair.

My wig is itchy, gets in my face, and like Lisa said "Staticy"....

But it does the trick. My natural hair is flat and I have to fluff it up until it gets longer...6 more months and i'd go out without a wig, otherwise it will be a wig....

This time nobody will convince me to cut it!!!!

I also realized if you keep it trimmed and looking neat as it grows - it comes out better...

Wigs are temperamental for sure, but I got mine at wiggoddess.com - very pleased with it, Henry Margu series....