PDA

View Full Version : To look or to be, that is the question

GG Vanya
09-13-2006, 05:39 PM
With all the discussions of late, about the urgency of passing, it seems to me that quite a few might actually be TS instead of CD. So, what category do you fit into?

Nigella
09-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I dont want to "be like" a female, which leaves me "to look" like a female, but TBH neither of these choices suit me.

I look like me, or at least I did when I last shaved :)

Megan72
09-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I try very hard to emulate the female typology. I may be TS, but if so I am very much a lesbian in mans clothes. I really just feel that clothing is clothing and that the real rush comes from the acts of femminity that accompany a female personna. Clothing becomes a way of expressing that feeling, hard to feel Fem in a suit and tie.

Things like emotions, which men are often not allowed to express, by god I like to cry during a good movie, or when a song touches me the right way. As a man that is not really accepted. Maybe instead of a ccrossdresser I am a crossgenderer.

KarenSusan
09-13-2006, 06:44 PM
I guess I am a CD. I voted "look like".

Paula G
09-13-2006, 06:48 PM
I myself voted "look like", as I don't have a need to pass at this time.

Jenna1561
09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I love to look like a woman, I would prefer to have been born a woman, I don't feel particularly comfortable in the company of men - I am an outsider looking in. I feel more part of a group when in the company of women, but they generally treat me, a man, differently - not as one of them.

No matter how much I behave, react, and feel "like" a woman, I still am a man looking in from the outside. I want to be accepted as a woman and for me right now that means passing as a woman, "looking like" a woman.

Jenna

Tracy_Victoria
09-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Vanya

I try 110% to look as Female as I can, it my goal when dressing, and it a case of I like to ensure even the detials are just right, so my dressing does not just include clothes and wigs make up and shoes! But includes fine detials, and accessories to add to my feminine appearance at that time. ie from watches and earings, to glasses and jewelry etc.

However I have no desire to be a girl, I'm not TS, just a crossdresser ever once in a while

Jenn2716
09-13-2006, 06:59 PM
When I dress, I try to go all the way and "Be" as much of a woman as possible. The only reason I don't think of myself as TS is because I have no desire to have SRS. I'd change everything else on my body, except that.

Probably sounds strange, I know.

Lanore
09-13-2006, 07:08 PM
To 'look like' or 'to be like'? I voted on the be like. My feelings have always been deep down inside. Looking like a female, to me, follows being like a female. I just feel like a woman sharring a mans body. Although there are some areas where my body looks female, it's still male. I get looks in some areas, but that's it's own thrill. I believe I have great looking legs and due to my earlier use of steroids, have breasts. I don't have a belly so those two areas stand out more than others.

Lanore

Tina Dixon
09-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey Vanya if our SO's ever leave us, you think we got a chance:D , but getting to the question here being all dressed up at this very moment in a new black dress I found (Video and Pics soon) right now I just try and look like one as much as I can but I'll never pass, know way, and to be like a woman no I don't think so, but all women are different, but for now I just try and look the part.

Andrea_cd
09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
I think i was meant to born female , but im male and happily married with beautful children , the femm part of me is buried deep , only emerges once every often when no one is around , so i suppose look will have to do for now

NassauGurl
09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
I definitly voted "be like." If I had the money I would transition to be female in a heartbeat! If only it were that simple : /

Sally24
09-13-2006, 08:00 PM
I am something short of TS. I do not loath my male body but I very much want to feel, look, act, and be taken for a female when I am dressing. It is not a sexual thing for me anymore but a gender thing. I classify myself as a serious crossdresser. If I couldn't pass, I wouldn't dress. (ok, not as much!)

Roberta Lynn
09-13-2006, 08:07 PM
The poll question, "to be like a female", can be a little confusing.:confused:
Your post ask are you a TS or a CD.
My case CD defiantly. :love:

Mona
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I voted 'To look like a female' but to me looking like and being like are the same thing.

GG Vanya
09-13-2006, 08:19 PM
my ? is when you say "be like" do you mean emotionally and on the inside or phyisically transforming.
me id love to have all the female body exept keep my tool but keep the inside just the way it is. Maybee this is confusing if so sorry.

Jenni and Beth,

Not "all" TS's go for SRS you know. There are pre op, post op, and non op.

For me, the differentiating factor is: do you take it further than the outward appearance, and do you attempt to BE female?

Melinda G
09-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I like being a guy. And I guess I dress from a guy standpoint. I dress like I wish women would dress. And when I look in the mirror sometimes, I get turned on by what I see.
While I have no need to pass, when I am dressed in the house, if I want to go out, and walk around on the street, then passing becomes important, unless I want to look like one of the Budweiser boys, and look really stupid.
And when I look in the mirror, and see a totally different person, a nice looking lady, it is a major turnon. That said, I would never want to have to "be" a woman for the rest of my life.

siennacd
09-13-2006, 08:46 PM
I'd say look like a female. I also have no disire to go through SRS. I enjoy my life now and love my family too much to change it. When I dress I like to look as female as possible but, do not want to become a women.

Sienna

Calliope
09-13-2006, 08:58 PM
For me, the differentiating factor is: do you take it further than the outward appearance, and do you attempt to BE female?

I vote 'be like' - because that's where my head is (already) at. The question 'do you attempt to BE female' sorta infers there's a lot of conscious effort going into it whereas, in my case, it seems pretty natural. I look over my life - I was a MH counseler, now I'm a housewife raising kids; my first wife proposed to me, my 2nd wife dresses and acts like a guy - and it's pretty obvious that I have been living (much of) a woman's life even during the extended periods when I did not dress. And, yes, crying - do not ever play the Judy Collins' version of 'In My Life' when I'm around, it kills my mascara every time. Am I really TS? Well, lack of $ is a factor and so are my children, I doubt I'll ever really see the time when I can make the choice with all the cards on the table.

Tessa Wire
09-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Well I must say, that I have always thought of my self as being a woman, but as I am traped in a mans body, I have mostly accted like a man should. The only differance is when I am alone, or when with one of my closest friends, ( of wich I have only 2), do I let my true feelings come out, and am as a female. I have been dressing for longer that I can rember, and when dressed, I am all WOMAN. So I guess to answer your question, I would say that I am a TS, and if I had the opertuinty I would go with the surgery, and be happy living out the rest of my life as I feel.

As always Loves :hugs:

JenniferMint
09-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I started out as a guy who had his testicles removed because I hated my testosterone, then tried out CDing after the fact, and now I'm on HRT.

brittanny
09-13-2006, 09:36 PM
be like for me if my situation was different I would be definatly living full time and possibly have already had srs

Jennaie
09-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Vanya, Your question, I don't believe, is going to get the definitive answer that your looking for. For example, I see srs differently than a ts who is willing to go that route does.

I see it this way, I will never be female, period. A "true" ts sees herself as female even before she transitions. I do have a male side to me as well as a female side. Although all the online test tell me that on the average, I am about 90% female in the way I think, I can and do have good male friends and have no problem relating to males and the male way of thinking. (providing they are not talking about any kind of team sport). :happy:

In short, I can easily say that I wish I had been born female. I would have perferred to have lived my life as a female. Yet, I know that I will never be female and no sugery in the world can actually make me female.

Something inside me does invoke a desire to be recognized, acknowleged, validated as female. That is why I dress to pass.

A true class 5 ts could care less if they pass or not, they want sugery and they want it now. They hate their male parts, they find them disgusting. I do not feel this way.

Am I ts? you be the judge, our lines are open.+? :p :happy:

Paula Thomas
09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
I voted for "be like" a female.

With family obligations I will be satisfied for as close as I can get within my wife's "comfort level", because I love her more than I love dressing in drag.

If anything should ever happen to her, I would dress in drag more (hoping to approach 24/7 - depending on time spent at work and with other family members/friends).

Kristen Kelly
09-13-2006, 09:59 PM
When I dress, I try to go all the way and "Be" as much of a woman as possible. The only reason I don't think of myself as TS is because I have no desire to have SRS. I'd change everything else on my body, except that.

Probably sounds strange, I know.

Not so strange Defined as non-op TS, which I can relate to.

Deborah
09-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I see it this way, I will never be female, period. A "true" ts sees herself as female even before she transitions. I do have a male side to me as well as a female side. Although all the online test tell me that on the average, I am about 90% female in the way I think, I can and do have good male friends and have no problem relating to males and the male way of thinking. (providing they are not talking about any kind of team sport). :happy:

In short, I can easily say that I wish I had been born female. I would have perferred to have lived my life as a female. Yet, I know that I will never be female and no surgery in the world can actually make me female.

Something inside me does invoke a desire to be recognized, acknowleged, validated as female. That is why I dress to pass.

A true class 5 ts could care less if they pass or not, they want sugery and they want it now. They hate their male parts, they find them disgusting. I do not feel this way.

Great write up. The only difference between you and i is i do hate my male parts and although i will never be a true "female" in body i believe my mind is pretty close.

angelfire
09-13-2006, 11:26 PM
I voted "look like", because while I wouldn't mind "being like" one, or even "Being one", I also like being male. Infact, I like being male alot, and I like my masculine qualities perhaps more than my feminine one (If I even have any)

vbcdgrl
09-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Look like a girl. Agree, pretty much, with Melinda G's post.

Vikki

Jenn2716
09-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Jenni and Beth,

Well, in that case, I would have to say that I attempt to BE feminine (not female). I find myself walking, talking, gesturing, sitting more feminine when I dress. I would want the casual observer to think I was a woman. But I would not call it "being female", as I know quite a few lesbians (and a couble of hetero girls) who are way more butch than me, even when I'm drab.

The only reason I mentioned SRS is becaus I equate "female" with sexual designation. I would totatlly take steps to make my body more feminine but not go all the way to become female.

~Dee~
09-14-2006, 12:47 AM
i agree with Jennaie in that i dont believe that you will get a very clear answer to what you have asked.

i dont believe that it can be limited to something like "look like" or "be like"

i want to look like and be like who i am. to me, thats female .. so should i check both boxes? :happy:
i mean .. i do hate parts of my person, and i aim to change those things so that i can be happy with who i am in that its how i see myself already.
but i dont want to be like any girl.. i want to be like this girl. *points to self*
so i guess after much complication i would have to tick box 1.

i guess it kind of depends on what you had in mind for both options when you defined them.
maybe... +?

AmberTG
09-14-2006, 01:08 AM
I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, leaning toward the female side. I chose "be like" as that is what I've wanted for many years. At this point I'd call myself a non-op transgender, I'm still working on getting on HRT. I'd be happy to live the rest of my life as a female.

Jenna1561
09-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Vanya, Your question, I don't believe, is going to get the definitive answer that your looking for. For example, I see srs differently than a ts who is willing to go that route does.

In short, I can easily say that I wish I had been born female. I would have perferred to have lived my life as a female. Yet, I know that I will never be female and no sugery in the world can actually make me female.

Am I ts? you be the judge, our lines are open.+? :p :happy:

Good points. As I said earlier I do wish I had been originally born as a girl, but having been brought into this world as a guy, I have married and we have 4 wonderful children. I wouldn't change that for anything.

Do I hate my male parts? I don't know. I wish that I didn't have them, but then again, that's where I get my most pleasure - so I have to like them for that. Were I to "lose" them but be able to orgasm - I would be very happy.

Were I not married, I think that I would transition, if I could afford it, I think I'd have SRS. But at this point, I love my wife too much to transition. I don't know how to pigeon-hole myself. I want to live as a woman, but I don't want to give up or hurt my wife. So for now I incorporate much of a feminine life into my everyday life and dress fully (to pass) when I can.

Still confused about labels : I am who I am.

Jenna

RikkiOfLA
09-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Vanya,

I can't begin to answer your question with either of those two choices.

I don't think of myself as a transsexual. I have several TS friends (pre and post). They would answer that they ARE women (with maybe a body that doesn't match) or that they want to BE women. Wanting to be LIKE a woman? None that I know would choose that--it would seem like a crossdresser's answer to the TSs I know.

If a crossdresser goes out among the general public dressed, it's not enough to look like a woman. He (or should I say she?) has to act like a woman. That means thinking like a woman, feeling like a woman, and so on. In other words, to BE LIKE a woman. Because the body language, the decorum, the social customs--those things will out a tgirl real fast even though her photograph is a knockout.

When I'm at home, I don't really care whether I look like a woman or not. I look like me. And if my wife likes the way I look, and I feel comfortable, that's scoring 100%.

Would I want to become a woman, given the chance? Heck no! It's too much fun being me. I think my testosterone actually gives me an added motivation to look my best--a little bit sexy, but middle-of-the-road wholesome. And at my age (58), that's important. And I'm getting good enough at it that GGs come up and compliment me. That's a rush, of course!

So do I want to BE LIKE a woman? Yes, when I'm out in public.
Do I want to LOOK LIKE a woman? Yes, when I'm out in public.
Do I want to BE a woman? No, I'm deliriously happy being me!

Rikki

ReginaK
09-14-2006, 03:06 AM
Definitely just to look, but that doesn't mean I don't want to look as flawless and as female as possible.

swiss_susan
09-14-2006, 03:11 AM
Neither really fits for me

I certainly don't want to be a woman.

ReginaK
09-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Vanya,

If a crossdresser goes out among the general public dressed, it's not enough to look like a woman. He (or should I say she?) has to act like a woman. That means thinking like a woman, feeling like a woman, and so on. In other words, to BE LIKE a woman. Because the body language, the decorum, the social customs--those things will out a tgirl real fast even though her photograph is a knockout.

Oh don't really agree with. No one has to pass regardless of how much of a knockout they are or aren't. And sometimes, bad passing will out you quicker than just being yourself. Think of it this way: What gets more "bad attention"? A person being themself or someone whose "acting strange"?

Because the minute you don't visually pass, when someone sees that you're acting, the reaction is "OMG!! That's a man in a dress!" Whereas if you just act like a man in a dress to begin with, it's not as much of a surprise to them. The feigned walk. The strained voice. It's like wearing a homing beacon.

Now if you're really good at the walk and talk, then it might work to your advantage until you get visually clocked.

Frances1
09-14-2006, 04:22 AM
I generally agree with Jennaie's views. It seems to me that a cd must ultimately desire to be a woman. Sure we can try by looking like and passing as a female.
For me I am old, could never pass as a female, am happily married, adult children who would be horrified if they knew, wife supports my cd and talking to you ladies but still wants my maleness and body. She would not support a formal change to my gender and loss of her rights as a wife, nor should she.

My lack of a full dose of male hormones has obviously promoted my feminine side. However, given my situation, and the fact that I could never acquire the ability to have a female orgasm, to be a woman is only a pipe dream. I am so jealous of my wife's orgasms. Maybe in my next life I will be a horny princess. Better than a fish!

Frances :rose2:

Marla S
09-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Can't vote (wrong question IMO)
"look like" is impossible with my physical features.
"be like" is impossible in principle.

For me it's that some of my traits need to be expressed in a feminine appearence. Don't know what that qualifys me.

(If my physical features would have allowed it I'd maybe taken the path to "be accepted" as a woman. But maybe not, hard to tell)

I think people stick to much to the labels. TG as a general label that I am not fully consistant with the actual gender norms concerning the outer appearence should do for me.

Satrana
09-14-2006, 04:40 AM
Yes the questions are too limited and confusing and there is a great deal of overlap. The idea that you might like to "be like" a woman means you are a TS seems too simplistic. Looking like and being like are often the same thing. I think many people here could answer either, or both together, depending upon their mood that day.

Its like asking what color is a rainbow, the answer is an infinite number of colors so a rainbow is indefinable.

Clare
09-14-2006, 04:55 AM
With all the discussions of late, about the urgency of passing, it seems to me that quite a few might actually be TS instead of CD. So, what category do you fit into?I voted to 'be like' a female (which is a subjective idealism in itself!). If I can 'be like' a female, then it follows I would 'look like' a female in a sense.

Thinking about your question as to whether many are really TS as opposed to CD, that very issue has been on my mind of late. I have many posts here in the forums where I have stated that I have never considered myself a transsexual or have the desire to undergo SRS. In recent times, I have let CLARE express herself in my daily life and I have discovered it a refreshingly 'natural' experience - as in it feels right and not a thrill type activity. So am I a latent TS? I'm not sure, but the pedulum is swinging wildly within the transgender spectrum at the moment!

Georgina
09-14-2006, 05:13 AM
I would like to look the way a woman looks but not be a woman. I would like to be able to have my hair and use make up the way a woman can but remain male. Georgina.

Cindy L
09-14-2006, 05:35 AM
I voted to "look like." For me I will "be like."

When I am dressed, I want to be a female as much as I can. :rose2:

Kate Simmons
09-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Where's the fire? No urgency here, Vanya. I'm myself for myself. Don't need to prove anything to anyone. :happy: Ericka Kay

ediekaye
09-14-2006, 09:43 AM
I had to vote for "be like". "Looking like" is only the initial step for me. When I transform into Edie I seem to naturally adopt as many feminine attributes as I can in addition to the clothes, makeup and jewelry I have on. I display a totally different posture, body movements, hand and body gestures; speak a little softer and move daintier. It almost seems that when I am wearing a dress I easily meld into my natural alter-ego without even trying. Much of it is things GG's do instinctively but I guess through years of trying to develop my femme persona I've practiced so much that these traits have become a natural part of the transformation.
I don't desire to be rid of my male self, but enjoy expressing my female side to the greatest extent possible. Interesting question though.

Edie

Lawren
09-14-2006, 09:52 AM
I chose "to look" because I am not convinced that "being" a woman has any significant advantage over being a man. It seems to me that both have more than enough trials and tribulations.

sara_also
09-14-2006, 10:58 AM
I voted to look like a lady. I like being a male sometimes and a female at other times...When I go out I try to be as fem as possible. The wife says I do pretty good. She is always with me to guide and see things I am doing good or bad...

JamieTodd
09-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Kelliann,

I could have not used better words than you, I feel I am a woman inside and have all sorts of emotions that would not be acceptable in this world we live in. I feel and want to be the woman I am inside and out!

Crossgender........ I like that!:happy:

My three cents worth............................... Jamie

I try very hard to emulate the female typology. I may be TS, but if so I am very much a lesbian in mans clothes. I really just feel that clothing is clothing and that the real rush comes from the acts of femminity that accompany a female personna. Clothing becomes a way of expressing that feeling, hard to feel Fem in a suit and tie.

Things like emotions, which men are often not allowed to express, by god I like to cry during a good movie, or when a song touches me the right way. As a man that is not really accepted. Maybe instead of a ccrossdresser I am a crossgenderer.

RikkiOfLA
09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Regina,

I love it!! "Bad passing!" Great phrase! :lol:

I agree with you completely, but maybe in different language. Because I don't think that a bad acting job is passing. You're right; it screams "FAKE!" and everyone notices it, quicker than a frizzy green wig! Real passing (much as I dislike the term), is 98% attitude, and it has to come from within. And when we get in touch with that (it's actually a lot of the motivation that drives many of us to crossdress in the first place), we can relax, be ourselves, and have fun with it. I don't worry anymore about how I walk, or cross my legs, stuff like that. I just let myself relax, confident that my own natural femininity is sufficient. And it is!

Hugs,
Rikki

Oh don't really agree with. No one has to pass regardless of how much of a knockout they are or aren't. And sometimes, bad passing will out you quicker than just being yourself. Think of it this way: What gets more "bad attention"? A person being themself or someone whose "acting strange"?

Because the minute you don't visually pass, when someone sees that you're acting, the reaction is "OMG!! That's a man in a dress!" Whereas if you just act like a man in a dress to begin with, it's not as much of a surprise to them. The feigned walk. The strained voice. It's like wearing a homing beacon.

Now if you're really good at the walk and talk, then it might work to your advantage until you get visually clocked.

EricaCD
09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Look like. I really have no interest in actually being a woman. (My hat's off to those of you who somehow manage it!)

Erica

Julogden
09-14-2006, 11:51 AM
With all the discussions of late, about the urgency of passing, it seems to me that quite a few might actually be TS instead of CD. So, what category do you fit into?
I try to be like AND look like a female, as my internal identity is feminine. If I hadn't turned out so tall, I am sure that I would have at least tried living full-time as a woman by now.

Carol:hugs:

Julogden
09-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Jenni and Beth,

I've taken prescription estrogen and progesterone off-and-on for the past 28 years, most of my adult life, and recently started electrolysis on my face.

Even if I have to live as a man for the rest of my life, I would like my body to be as female-looking as I can make it.

I've felt that I'm a transsexual since my early 20's (I'm 55 now), and first suspected much earlier than that, but refused to consider that as a possibility, it was too scary for me back then.

Carol:hugs:

StephaniejaneSmith
09-14-2006, 12:44 PM

I am with you on this 100% on all aspect's

tekla west
09-14-2006, 03:30 PM
There are far too many examples, types, and models for being female to herd them all unto one heading. I tend to think of myself as expressing fem more than being female, but all I'm really doing is being myself. Never thought it would be much fun to be anything other than what you really are.

Christina Nicole
09-14-2006, 06:23 PM

I'm TS, I think. There are different levels of intensity in being TS. Some TS people absolutely, positively, can't live without transitioning, surgery and everything. On the other side, there are TS people who really prefer to be the other sex, but for a variety of reasons, they don't do anthing about it. Naturally there are shades in between the two. I'm of the "really prefer to be female, would probably consider transitioning if I could" type, but I am not and will not transition because of my wife, family, friends, career, and other practical considerations. Getting out and interacting in the "real world" as a woman helps me. I think that the Benjamin Scale would fall into the type 4 catagory, but I sometimes feel like a 5.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Frances1
09-15-2006, 04:05 AM
[QUOTE=Christina Nicole;563396]I'm of the "really prefer to be female, would probably consider transitioning if I could" type, but I am not and will not transition because of my wife, family, friends, career, and other practical considerations.

My view completely. I cannot understand the ladies who say they like to CD but don't really want to be female, even if they could. I like to CD because I fantisise about being a real woman. If I could start over and choose my sex I would be female. Who wouldn't. They (GG's) are so lucky.

Raychel
09-15-2006, 05:34 AM
I guess that I would have to choose none of the above. I am just happy being a guy in a dress. That is how I am most comfortable anyway.

Adrienne Heels
09-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Be like a female.....I think you have to be as feminine as possible in order to pass

Nigella
09-15-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm of the "really prefer to be female, would probably consider transitioning if I could" type, but I am not and will not transition because of my wife, family, friends, career, and other practical considerations.

My view completely. I cannot understand the ladies who say they like to CD but don't really want to be female, even if they could. I like to CD because I fantisise about being a real woman. If I could start over and choose my sex I would be female. Who wouldn't. They (GG's) are so lucky.

And this is one of the reasons why there are sometimes tensions between different members. Although we are all "sisters" we are all on different paths, which don't all end up at the same place.

Clare
09-15-2006, 09:31 AM
I chose "to look" because I am not convinced that "being" a woman has any significant advantage over being a man. It seems to me that both have more than enough trials and tribulations.Yep - quite true!

Casey Morgan
09-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Neither actually. But then i'm thinking of foregoing the whole "Mars symbol vs. Venus symbol" thing and adopting bi_weird's avatar instead.

Robin Leigh
09-15-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm a feminine kind of guy, although I do a reasonable job of not behaving effeminate when in drab. I do like to express my feminine side, though and I dress not just to look feminine but to feel feminine too, whatever that means. A man can never really know what it's like to be a woman, but it's fun to pretend. :)

When I go out dressed up, I want to look like a feminine person & be treated like one, even if I don't pass under close inspection.

Robin