PDA

View Full Version : corset, waist cincher or girdle?

Diane098
09-13-2006, 05:46 PM
As I posted earlier I was going to wait till spring to go shopping in SF. the urge got to be to much and I have started buying clothes. My question is what type of undergarment do you use to get the right shape waist? I'm not sure as to how comfortable or easy a corset would be and wether a waist cincher or something similar would have the shaping ability.:happy:

MelindaC
09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, I've been a girdle girl for an awfully long time, so I may be biased in that respect. Never wore a corset, so I can't speak to that.

I have been thinking about trying a waist cincher along with my girdle to get a better waist. Some also say that a good high waist girdle and longline bra combination works well too.

I probably left you quite confused. But in the the end, what works best for you is the important thing. Just offering my thoughts.....

Sky
09-13-2006, 06:18 PM
As I posted earlier I was going to wait till spring to go shopping in SF. the urge got to be to much and I have started buying clothes. My question is what type of undergarment do you use to get the right shape waist? I'm not sure as to how comfortable or easy a corset would be and wether a waist cincher or something similar would have the shaping ability.:happy:

Waist cincher, definitely. The strongest, least flexible you can get. It does work very well. Not spandex or nylon stuff -those "moderate control belly hiders" are for genetic girls who already have the right shape but also a few extra pounds. We don't have the basic shape. That's why we need something tougher.

But a waist cincher can't be worn alone -you need a full body suit on top of it. Otherwise your "modified body lines" would be too harsh-looking.

ReginaK
09-13-2006, 06:20 PM
I prefer corsets. They seem to get the job done better. Not only do you get that wasp-like waist, it pushes meat upwards and downwards to help enhance bust and create an illusion of hips.

KarenSusan
09-13-2006, 06:25 PM
I have a waist cincher. I have been using it for a long time and I notice a strange thing. When I'm not wearing it, I seem to have a more hour-glass shape than I use to have.:happy: This might be my imagination but I don't think so.

Felicity
09-13-2006, 08:55 PM
A custom fit corset is the best way to go if you can afford one. I recommend Dark Garden Corsetry (http://www.darkgarden.com/) in San Francisco, or even Story Leather (http://www.stormyleather.com/) if you like leather, also in SF. Leather will stretch to fit over time, but a corset made of cloth for a genetic woman just doesn't fit the male body well. Custom fit is the best way to go, and dark Garden is TG friendly. I have been there.

I've tried them all. Cinchers, girdles, long torso control hose, etc. The corset is the most comfortable, unless it doesn't fit right. I believe the primary reason is that cinchers and girdles don't give a sense of relief, and corsets are form fitting. Girdles and cinchers stay tight as you breath. It may sound strange, but a corset can be tighter, yet be more comfortable. As you breath and move, the times your body naturally contracts a bit, the corset feels less tight, therefore the sense of relief. It's not always trying to push your innards around.

Diane098
09-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Somedays I cant imagine what I would do without this site.:happy:

Lawren
09-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I have only tried waist cinchers and in my case I have always found them a bit disappointing. But I can hardly blame it all on the cincher because I do have something of a pot belly to contend with. Beyond that I can offer you no advice, good or bad.

Felicity
09-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I have only tried waist cinchers and in my case I have always found them a bit disappointing. But I can hardly blame it all on the cincher because I do have something of a pot belly to contend with. Beyond that I can offer you no advice, good or bad.
I don't know what to say for certain. Over the last few years, I have gained a pot belly too. None of my corsets currently fit my. I used to squeeze my previous 34 inch waist to 26" hourglass shape for a couple hours, or 28" comfortable enough for all day. I've even been down to 25" over the thickness of a leather corset. I have tried on 28" corsets lately, but they are off the shelf. They take me down close to 30" comfortably enough at the moment of trying them on, but they don't fit right. I need to make another trip to SF or loose weight.

My experience tells me, and in talking with other corset wearers is that:

At a natural 24 inch waist, you can go to 20" comfortable (minus 4")

My previous 34 inch was comfortable at minus 6 to 8 inches, short term to all day.

I have heard of larger people comfortable with a 10 inch reduction!

I have never seen a study on this, and corset makers will rarely tell yo to go past 4". Probably for liability reasons. I believe it has to do with your chest size rather than waist size, for how much volume in the body can be moved. I am of a slimmer bild than most and until I gained an extra 30 pounds, I was at 150-155 lbs for more than 20 years.

Now without verification, just an educated guesses:

Natural 24 waist to 20 means a natural chest (below breast) of about 32?

My chest is 36 and I can go 6" vs. 4".

Would another 4", or 40" chest get another 2"?

vbcdgrl
09-14-2006, 05:03 PM
None of the above for me. Just bra and panties, maybe panty hose or thigh highs and/or a slip. I don't have an hourglass figure, but I'm not Humpty Dumpty either. So I'm happy just as I am, besides I'm old!

Vikki

Sedona
09-15-2006, 12:06 AM

Diane,

My two cents: I've got two waist cinchers, both made by Rago that I bought from crepe-suzette.com. One is a simple waist nipper, one is a little longer with attachable garters. Honestly, neither do much at all to reduce my waist, but do feel nice on. That said, I'm naturally pretty lean and muscular. I'm not super thin, but I usually run about 10-12 percent bodyfat. This means that there isn't much chub to move around by the relatively light confinement of the waist cincher.

Recently, I had a corset made for me by meschantes.com (etoile model). I measured myself, and it's pretty easy to take my 32 inch waist down to 29 inches. Even with three inches off the waist, it's AMAZING what it does to give a more hourglassy (is that a word?) figure. I've cinched it down to 27-28 inches, but it's just too much for me (feel very claustrophobic) after about a half hour, and at first it's a little creepy feeling my insides shifting around.

This kind of four inch+ training comes with time. You might try looking around on staylace.com for some info including a great medical section on all kinds of delicate matters.

My advice, if you have the means, I think you'll be pleased with a corset, but count on spending at least $150 (mine was about $180), and unless you go off the rack the it can take several weeks to have it made (but should fit perfectly). If money is tight, and you're not too low on bodyfat, a waist cincher (running you less than $50 shipped) should get your shape in shape.

Cheers,

Phyliss
09-15-2006, 03:33 AM
I can only dream about having an "hourglassy" (love that new word) figure. It'd take four cargo straps and two diesel tractors to pull me tighter,

I do have an OBG on order from Lady Grace. I can remember wearing one many, many years ago and liked it then. Any attempt to get a reduction in my waist size is beyond hope, so I'll just enjoy wearing it.

One thing I have noted about girdles and corsets:

Those who look good wearing one don't need one.
Those who need one don't look good wearing one.

Kiwi Primrose
09-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Dear Dianne
Try them all if you can but it is almost certain you will come back to the corset.
They have stood the test of time and there is something exquisite about the feeling of tightness, especially if they are fastened at the back.
To do it properly you must have a helper - someone you trust and can share with.
Love
Primrose

Felicity
09-15-2006, 04:20 AM
To do it properly you must have a helper - someone you trust and can share with.

I have had no trouble lacing corsets myself after a bit of practice. When they are strung properly, the laces hold themselves in place as you tighten them. Takes time, but the wearer can lace herself if diligent.

However.... Having someone to share the experience is much more fun!

Sedona
09-15-2006, 07:15 AM
One thing I have noted about girdles and corsets:

Those who look good wearing one don't need one.
Those who need one don't look good wearing one.

Phyllis,

Wow, I love this expression (sorry, the quote thingy didn't work quite right). Never thought of it like that before. Thx!

And, yes, getting into a corset solo is tough. Look around online and you can find instructions for getting the back laces cinched up just right using a doorknob.

Diane098
09-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. My budget right now will only support a cincher but a corset is definatly in the future! I am still experimenting ( Im waiting for my first dress,wig and pumps to show in the mail) I havent been able to fully dress in about 15 years. I cant wait to order makeup and begin trying it out!:D

Karren H
09-15-2006, 09:35 AM
I'd go out and get a couple of each and add in a whole body shaper too.. I have 2 corsets (black and white), 2 girdles (regular and open bottom), 3 clinchers (different colors and different sizes) and a wole body shaper...I use them all depending on what I'm going to wear....and how pudgey I'm feeling that day..hehehe

Love Karren

Snookums
09-15-2006, 12:51 PM
a long leg girdle

rory
09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi,
Here is an awesome way to go
http://www.thestockingstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=WC

It is rubber but covered with material and is very comvertable and will also help with cleavage.

hugz

Phyliss
09-15-2006, 03:32 PM
rory, looked at the site and yes that's nice, but I found this:
http://www.thestockingstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=F

That is just what I'm looking for. I do believe I'll be making a purchase this evening.