PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Drab

jamiecd636
09-15-2006, 04:37 PM
As I mentioned in my introduction, I have learned alot reading the threads here. I wanted to share my shopping experience. In the past, I always used the "gift for girlfriend" line.

After reading the experiences others have had, I decided to see what would happen if I tried sshopping in drab. Went into Dress Barn shortly after lunch, the SA greeted me asked if I needed any help. I replied that I was just looking but if I needed assistance I would let her know. There were three GG's in the store at the time. After looking around, I found a pair of dress pants that I liked. I took them to the SA and asked directly if I could try them on. She said of course and offered to find a top that would match. She proceeded to walk me around the store and put together 6 or 7 outfits to try.

I went into the dressing room and began trying things on. She continued to check on me and brought several other outfits for me to try. She gave me a pair of brown gauchos and a tan and brown top. The fit was increditable. Ended up buying this outfit.

At the checkout counter the SA, told me she was the store manager and that I was welcome at the store at all times. I indicated to her that my comfort level was to come in during non peak hours.

After leaving the store, decided that I need a pair of heals to go with the outfit. Walk in Payless, found me size and slipped them on. The SA and several GG's were in the aisle. No one seemed to care.

Could not have done this without reading your experiences, thank you for sharing. It was truley a great day, cann't wait to do it again.

jamecd51

Phyliss
09-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Hang on to your purse, honey, this is gonna get expensive.
So glad you could do this. Now you're "hooked" and there is no turning back.

Joy Carter
09-15-2006, 05:12 PM
So happy for you Jamie :thumbsup:

Jenna1561
09-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Clothes, clothes and more clothes! Store credit cards from Penneys, Goodys, Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, and the universal Visa Card. Can't Stop - Must Buy. As Wilma and Betty used to say

"CHAAAAARGE IT!"

Jenna

Peg
09-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Way to go Jamie , i love when the s/a is so helpful . Makes shopping so much more fun. Peg:happy:

Charleen
09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Now you've done it! Activated the shopping gene! Phyliss is right, hang on to your wallet! Go Girl! Love and xxxx, Lily

jennig
09-15-2006, 06:56 PM
HI Iam gald you had fun I have been shopping like you for years and you are right nobody cares except I do get some stares from old gg"s theay raise eyebrows and look real hard. well have fun shoping!
huggs jennig

colleenambrose
09-15-2006, 08:27 PM
i think the greatest rush shopping in drab is trying on shoes-t6ry to find an empty aisle!!- bought a great pair of shoes today at target- just love them!!

angelfire
09-15-2006, 08:46 PM
congrats on your new experience. Sounds like you had such a great time. But yea, you better watch out or you'll become addicted.

Talon DeRojo
09-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Jamie - It's nice to know that there are accepting and helpful store personnel out there. Thamks for sharing!
Talon:happy:

Adrienne Heels
09-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Good for you, honey! Now you'll have even more fun the next time.....and there will be a next time, I am sure!

angelfire
09-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Good for you, honey! Now you'll have even more fun the next time.....and there will be a next time, I am sure!

I don't think she has a choice, shes hooked now!

Karren H
09-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Great job!! Once your hooked on shopping there's no turning back. Lol

Maybe we need to start a drossdressers mutual fund.. That invests in clothing stores that are TG friendly.....yeah. We could call it The Greater Crossdressers Feminine Atire Fund.. Were going to be rich beyond belief!!!!! Rich I tell you!!!! Hehehe

Love Karren

Monica Marie
09-15-2006, 09:45 PM
I love Target too. Got some panties and a cami tonight and the cashier couldn't care less about me. LOL

goofus
09-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Can I ask in what part of the country you're located?

As I mentioned in my introduction, I have learned alot reading the threads here. I wanted to share my shopping experience. In the past, I always used the "gift for girlfriend" line.

After reading the experiences others have had, I decided to see what would happen if I tried sshopping in drab. Went into Dress Barn shortly after lunch, the SA greeted me asked if I needed any help. I replied that I was just looking but if I needed assistance I would let her know. There were three GG's in the store at the time. After looking around, I found a pair of dress pants that I liked. I took them to the SA and asked directly if I could try them on. She said of course and offered to find a top that would match. She proceeded to walk me around the store and put together 6 or 7 outfits to try.

I went into the dressing room and began trying things on. She continued to check on me and brought several other outfits for me to try. She gave me a pair of brown gauchos and a tan and brown top. The fit was increditable. Ended up buying this outfit.

At the checkout counter the SA, told me she was the store manager and that I was welcome at the store at all times. I indicated to her that my comfort level was to come in during non peak hours.

After leaving the store, decided that I need a pair of heals to go with the outfit. Walk in Payless, found me size and slipped them on. The SA and several GG's were in the aisle. No one seemed to care.

Could not have done this without reading your experiences, thank you for sharing. It was truley a great day, cann't wait to do it again.

jamecd51

Barb Valentine
09-15-2006, 11:08 PM
See it's a lot for fun Jamie
The more you go the easier it gets

Vash
09-16-2006, 02:36 AM
I was in Dress barn earlier this week and like everytime I go in the SA's are so very helpful.I feel like they never seem to care about who is shopping or why just there to help. I still have not worked up the nerve to do the shoe thing yet. I would love to do that one

Vash

Phyliss
09-16-2006, 03:44 AM
Payless for your shoes.
My first time in payless for fem shoes was so much easier than I had imagined. Walked in and as usual the S.A. asked if they could help, mentioned that I was looking for some casual shoes. As she was leading me to the mens section, I calmly said, excuse me but we're heading to the wrong section. Her responce, "Oh O.K., what size do you take?" I told her that I usually wear a 10 or 11 wide. "We just had a new shipment come in two days ago. Do you have stockings on?" I said that I did. "Good that way you'll get a better fit. Enjoy. Call me if you need any help. My name is C____y ."
What an absolute fun time I had. I go in there about every three weeks now just to look and possibly buy. C____y is quite "understanding" and has told me that they get a good number of men in there trying on shoes and buying them.
Go ahead and DO IT.

RachelDenise
09-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Jamie, how much fun is this? I'm sure that they have a customer for life!

Cassy11
09-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Karren is on to something.
Mabey not a Mutual Fund but, is there a way to give recognition to stores that are CD friendly and give a thumbs down to those that are not. I wish there was some way to tell which stores in my area to stay away from. I hate trial and error espically the error part.

ophillia
09-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I shop Payless about once every two weeks. The sales girls all know me. If I'm not wearing stockings, they will give me a pair of knee highs to put on for trying on shoes. Love the new kitten heel pumps they currently have in their inventory.

Cheryl T
09-16-2006, 05:38 PM
As I understand it Dress Barn has a national corporate policy that is CD friendly. They welcome us to shop and try on things anytime, drab or not.
It's a rush and it's sooo nice to be welcome.

Geneva Lake
09-16-2006, 06:28 PM
I've found Nine West stores -- with all their yummy pumps and boots -- great when I tried stuff on in drab. I wonder if they, too, have a policy about helping everyone. The stores in Pittsburgh are especially great!

Gen:D

Jodi
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Geneva, I agree about the Ninewest stores. I shop the Monroeville Mall store frequently. Brooke, the manager, welcomes us to her store and encourages us to try on, actually, she wants us to try on. My shopping in her store is always so much fun. She always wants to chat and is interested in what has been happening in Jodi's life.

The Ninewest outlet store at Grove City is also totally tg friendly. Laurie, the store manager wants to help the tg community find the right fit and style. Her asst managers, Robin and Jen are equally friendly. Laurie and Robin have called me at home to let me know when certain shoes and boots go on sale.

Most of the time I shop at these stores in drab. THe last time I shopped at Grove City en femme, I had my pic taken with Laurie. I sent her a copy of the pic and she has it posted in her office.

Jodi

Geneva Lake
09-16-2006, 07:09 PM
I used to love to shop the Ross Park Mall store. Victoria was just super, suggesting stuff and just being so cool.
What's the best time of day to hit Monroeville or Grove City??????? I'm in boring Harrisburg now, but am heading back to Pgh. sooooon.
Thanks...

angelfire
09-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Payless for your shoes.
My first time in payless for fem shoes was so much easier than I had imagined. Walked in and as usual the S.A. asked if they could help, mentioned that I was looking for some casual shoes. As she was leading me to the mens section, I calmly said, excuse me but we're heading to the wrong section. Her responce, "Oh O.K., what size do you take?" I told her that I usually wear a 10 or 11 wide. "We just had a new shipment come in two days ago. Do you have stockings on?" I said that I did. "Good that way you'll get a better fit. Enjoy. Call me if you need any help. My name is C____y ."
What an absolute fun time I had. I go in there about every three weeks now just to look and possibly buy. C____y is quite "understanding" and has told me that they get a good number of men in there trying on shoes and buying them.
Go ahead and DO IT.

I'd like to solve the puzzle. Is it Cathy?

Anyway. What we should od is start a list of stores and locations people have shopped, and give them a rating from 1-5 or 1-10, and that way others can see and decide from other's ratings whether or not it is worth shopping at a particular place. Once I finish learning php, I might see about setting up a database for it.

xoxo
Jessica

Adrienne Heels
09-16-2006, 09:53 PM
I have found my local Nine West store to be very accepting also. The managers there are very sweet and encourage me to try on, even in drab.

Bobbie cd
09-17-2006, 01:46 AM
I have not really encountered any problems shopping in drab so far. I buy panties, bras, shoes from Wal-mart and Target frequently and the cashiers never even give me funny looks.
I just bought a new pair of heels at Payless today and the ladies there were very nice. I have to go back tomorrow,
(this pair of absolutely gorgeous soft brown suede calf length boots there were on sale for only $34, must buy them!).

Jodi
09-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I used to love to shop the Ross Park Mall store. Victoria was just super, suggesting stuff and just being so cool.
What's the best time of day to hit Monroeville or Grove City??????? I'm in boring Harrisburg now, but am heading back to Pgh. sooooon.
Thanks...

Geneva, If you want to hit the stores when not busy, I would go just after 10:00 Am when they open. This is for both Monroeville and Grove City.

Jodi