PDA

View Full Version : Training bra?

JenniferMint
09-15-2006, 10:47 PM
I started HRT back in June. Now I'm noticing if I go out jogging (I do this in drab since I don't want to be bothered), my breasts hurt a little bit from the shaking. Is it time for me to get a training bra?

If so, how would I figure out what to buy?

Scotty
09-15-2006, 11:04 PM
I started back in January and if I go down stairs they bounce now.
I've actually started wearing a bra every day to work now that the weather is cooling off.....

I also have several sports bras as they are pretty comfortable......definitely suggest them too since many of them will fit under clothing and either not show or will look like a T-shirt or tank top under clothes......

So here's what I get from Haynes:
I'm a 38" band, and almost 43" bust.
I add 4" to 38" and that gives me 42, subtracting 42 from my 43" bust gives me a 1" difference, or an A cup.

1. Measure Band Size. Take a snug measurement around your rib cage, below your bust and shoulder blades. Then add 4 inches. If you get an odd number (like 35), round up one (to 36).
2. Measure Cup Size. With bra on and clothes off, measure around the fullest part of your bust.
3. Compare bust measurement to band measurement. Subtract the band measurement (Step 1) from the bust measurement (Step 2). Then use the charts below to determine your cup size.

If difference is: 0" 1" 2" 3" 4" 5" 6" 7" 8" 9"
Then cup size is: AA A B C D DD DDD & F G H I

JenniferMint
09-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Hmm, I'm having trouble measuring. The size varies by 1-2" depending on how much air I have in my lungs! What should I do?

Also, why add 4" to the band measurement? Why not add 5"? http://www.afraidtoask.com/breast/breastmeasuringcup.html says to add 5".

I've also read elsewhere to measure above the breast and add 0".

So confusing...

Scotty
09-17-2006, 01:04 AM
I think 5 is a bit excessive myself, also depends on your frame etc.

I like the haynes method, :D It makes me look bigger.

I think it's all random in the end, buy a bra and if it's too tight th en the larger number doesn't work.....

My A cup bras are not yet completely full so maybe it is 5.....?

I measure with lungs 3/4 full or so, consistent anyway since the bra has to be comfortable when I breathe in.

Ie on no air I'm a 36, but if I wear my old 36 sports bra it's wayyy too tight and causes problems.

So take a lung full of air and measure, that's my opinion , tight bras are WAY uncomfortable.

Clare
09-17-2006, 01:16 AM
The size of the cup is proportional to the size of the bra. An 'A' cup on a 38" bra is bigger than an 'A' cup on a 32" bra. One of the joys of finding the right bra to suit your shape!

I don't have any natural breasts, so I can't offer an opinion on actual fittings for cup sizings. However, I would get the band measurement right first (say 32"), then work out which cup size is appropriate for your breasts. I can't see the point of having correctly fitting cups if the band is too small or large - the bra would then be uncomfortable and the cups would slip or squeeze which defeats their purpose.

AmberTG
09-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm with Clare on that one. Get the band size right first so the band is comfortable, then worry about the cup size. I'm thinking that you should start with a sports bra after you figure out your band size as they have a generic cup size, they usually fit like B-C or the larger cup size for D and larger.
I have a 32 inch chest under my lack of boobs and I wear a 38B bra, B is the smallest cup size normally found in the 38 band size, and I'm happy how that looks on me when I wear my forms. I wear a size 38 sports bra, I wear the pull over style, but they do make front close and I think rear close styles also, they're just a bit priceier and I'm always broke:rolleyes:
Anyways, I can wear the 38 sports bra all day without any discomfort, so I guess I got the right size. They are a bit tight, but that's the way they're designed, they're supposed to hold you when you exercise so you don't bounce too much. I get the light support ones instead of the strong support ones, more comfortable.
Amber
oops, had to edit my post, I had the wrong measurement, my chest is 32 inches, my bust is 35 inches.

princessmichelle
09-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Jennifer,

Would a bra ease your discomfort? My experience was that it did when I experienced slight bounce, which is uncomfortable and a discreet sports bra helps.

To get one that fits and is comfortable the ideal is to try it on.

How to try it on? Some stores will allow men to try on bras. (A discrete question to a store manager can help-the worst I've ever been told is "No" or "come back when we;re not crowded"). Alternatively, check the store's return policy, try it on at home, and return it if it doesn't fit.

One more note: sports bras are easier to size than regular bras.

What's most important is to find something that is comfortable for you.

Best,

princessmichelle

Scotty
09-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Agreed on the band, that's why I measure with full lungs of air because then you are the max size you will be excercising, or whatever.

Sports bras rock, especially for us newbies with new br easts, the bounce going down the stairs today was quite noticable but I did not have a bra on going, on the way back it was nicer because I put a bra on......

I like the champion sports bras, you can search for them online or find them at any wal-mart.

Sizes are like small, medium, large etc, but I just went into wal mart and asked the lady for a 38 A sports bra and she pointed me to the size L I believe.....

CharlaineCadence
09-18-2006, 05:00 AM
You may wish you call a corsitter or bra shop in your area and ask to speek with the manager. Be honest whith them and ask if they would be willing to service you. they will measure you and find out exactly what you need. once you buy one from them you simply go and buy off the shelf.