PDA

View Full Version : Is it an addiction?

stlmichelle
09-16-2006, 11:38 AM
My wife and I were watching a show on TLC about people addicted to sex. My turns to me and says that she believes that my cding is and addiction, and upon thinking about it I can see where it is possible. Most of the stories paralleled mine, they couldn't explain why they did, what they did, and the feeling they got from doing it was sort of a high. Pretty much they way I feel. I was just wondering if anyone thought about it in those terms, kind of an interesting view.

Kate Simmons
09-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Nope, just me being myself.:happy: Ericka Kay

Rachel Morley
09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Everyone is different, and so if you are admitting it's just some sort of sexual addition for you, I'm cool with that. :happy:

However, for me, it's an integral part of my being, and as such is intrinsically connected to my gender identity. :2c:

Joy Carter
09-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Addited No. Like my duality yes !:D

Sasha Anne Meadows
09-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Wanting to be yourself isn't addiction. Nor is it abnormal. It's just who we are and we need to learn to like ourselves for just that.

Sasha Anne

Shelly Preston
09-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Interesting question

How many times have we heard people say that they have given up dressing only to return to at a later time.

Yes it can be addictive

So can gambling but not everyone is addicted

LouiseCassell
09-16-2006, 01:01 PM
not addiction here either.

Robin Leigh
09-16-2006, 01:38 PM
There can be an obsessive/compulsive aspect to crossdressing, especially for those deep in the closet (and especially if it's primarily erotic). The less people one hides it from, the less one tends to be compulsive about it.

OTOH, any pleasure can be addictive. Some people get pleasure (or try to) from watching television everyday, but wouldn't think of themselves as having a television addiction problem. Me, I've got better things to do with my free time. :p

Robin

Marla S
09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
I am going with Robin here.
Cding itself I don't see as an addiction, rather as an expression of some traits. Nevertheless CDing in combination with social pressure and sexuality can easily lead to addictive behavior or other over-reactions, IMO.
In contrast to most addictions CDing itself has no direct negative consequences for the CDer, the contrary. Negative consequnences arise only from the social status of Cding. That's different from alcoholism, or smoking, or gambling. Alcohol, smoking, gambling are socially accepted as long as they don't become addicitve. Cding is socially not accepted and for this reason may become addiction-like.

Most of the stories paralleled mine, they couldn't explain why they did
If CDing actually is the visible expression of some trait, this is the explanation. How would you explain that you are humorous and tell jokes all the time ?

, what they did, and the feeling they got from doing it was sort of a high. A typical high feeling for CDs is the "thrill". Thrill is the result of social restrictions. It diminishes with freedom and is replaced by, let's say, comfort-feeling, high spirits and fun - it just feels right.

Karren H
09-16-2006, 03:45 PM
I'd say yes it is.....

Love Karren

Marla S
09-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I'd say yes it is.....

Love Karren

You should talk to your doctor than. Addictions are seldom healthy :D

Karren H
09-16-2006, 04:22 PM
You should talk to your doctor than. Addictions are seldom healthy :D

Funny Girl!! lol But this adiction has been the healtiest thing for me in my whole life, so far!!! :D

Love Karren

Marla S
09-16-2006, 04:37 PM
But this adiction has been the healtiest thing for me in my whole life, so far!!! :D
I subscribe to this.

Maybe we should redefine addiction than :D

Addiction:
Wearing clothes of the opposite sex in order to loose weight, lower blood pressure, care for cholesterol, enhance fitness, eat healthy food and increase joy of life in general, besides keeping the brain cells active by playing hide-and-seek.

maryjanecapri
09-16-2006, 04:54 PM
to be honest there are times when i agree with this and times when i disagree. but ultimately the problem lies with society and it's inability to accept and live with men who feel more comfortable in women's clothing.

i wear women's clothing 24/7 but i do not desire to pass. so there i am, putting myself out there for all the world to see. sometimes it gets in my way of living a normal life. so in that respect it would be an addiction.

but the confusing part comes when you think that my being a transgendered male serves to make me a whole person. it fulfills me. it completes me as it were. i am, without a doubt, a male who has strong female tendancies. being heterosexual the only way i can fulfill those tendancies is to feminize my wardrobe. otherwise i would wind up going against my sexuality and that would be harder on the psyche than anything society can dish out (in my opinion).

but ultimately i always come back to the feeling that it is not an addiction because it makes me a better person. doesn't mean society will ever live with it...but me and my wife and my step-children - we're fine with it.

maryjanecapri
09-16-2006, 04:58 PM
oh and a lot of people say they are addicted to television...but the worse thing that comes from that is a jelly-filled cranium. :D

DonnaT
09-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Well, I've had addictions, and easily quit them. Can't quit this. So, no, I don't think it is.

bob..bie?
09-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi to all...

If it is an addiction, for me it is a healthy one... Since I found this BB, I have realized that I am only one of many, from all over the world, that enjoy being a girl... Thank you ALL for that... I now look at everyone I see with a different outlook and wonder "are they an MtF or an FtM?". When I see a pretty lady and I think "what if they are MtF?...can I ever learn to look that good???". Well, I'm working on it... I have lost 15 pounds since I found the BB three weeks ago by eating healthy and walking 30 minutes or more a day, so that soon, I can wear some of the cute outfits that you girls are wearing in your profiles.

I found this item at a kosk at a local mall and until I get some more weight off, maybe this will let me cheat a little bit...

http://www.roshelleonline.com/catalog_i5036746.html?catId=188184

Right now, I have to wear the XXXL size, but I'm 235 lbs and 6ft 3, and I'm SHRINKING... shrinking... shrin... (I hope I don't get any shorter... just thinner...)

Hugs to you all...

bob..bie?