PDA

View Full Version : Heres a question for ya

Emeralddragon
09-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Lets imagine for a moment we each own a company and we need to staff it. Now lets imagine a person comes in fully qualified and is perfect for the job and you hire them. Now lets imagine that person is a CD and feels that they might be fired or otherwise mistreated or whatnot because of their lifestyle if they let it be known around the office/store/outhouse/whatever. How would you let such people know that they can dress how they want without making them feel wierd/uneasy.

For example if you said in the interview "Are you a crossdresser? If you are its ok wear what you want" that would creep out the "normal" people. Ya cant exaclty put signs up saying crossdressers welcome cos it would make a lot of people feel awkward. So really how do you take away the fear and uncertainty for crossdressers in the workplace? How do you make them feel comfortable enough to be themselves.

Yeah i know im being random but heres why. It just crossed my mind a couple days ago cos me and a mate are thinking of setting up a company and I was thinking about hiring people that would work to their fullest. An uncomfortable CD might work well but if they felt perfectly comfortable they would work better. It came about in a roundabout way and from very weird thinking so if it seems random dont blame me. Just try make sense of it and maybe try and answer too.

I'll stop now cos im confusing myself now. :heehee:

Kate Simmons
09-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Lets imagine for a moment we each own a company and we need to staff it. Now lets imagine a person comes in fully qualified and is perfect for the job and you hire them. Now lets imagine that person is a CD and feels that they might be fired or otherwise mistreated or whatnot because of their lifestyle if they let it be known around the office/store/outhouse/whatever. How would you let such people know that they can dress how they want without making them feel wierd/uneasy.

For example if you said in the interview "Are you a crossdresser? If you are its ok wear what you want" that would creep out the "normal" people. Ya cant exaclty put signs up saying crossdressers welcome cos it would make a lot of people feel awkward. So really how do you take away the fear and uncertainty for crossdressers in the workplace? How do you make them feel comfortable enough to be themselves.

Yeah i know im being random but heres why. It just crossed my mind a couple days ago cos me and a mate are thinking of setting up a company and I was thinking about hiring people that would work to their fullest. An uncomfortable CD might work well but if they felt perfectly comfortable they would work better. It came about in a roundabout way and from very weird thinking so if it seems random dont blame me. Just try make sense of it and maybe try and answer too.

I'll stop now cos im confusing myself now. :heehee: You can't.You just have to follow the guidelines of the law as to hiring people. Such as no discrimination towards, race, sex, national origin or sexual orientation, etc. If you have your "Cdar" up (paraphrasing "Gaydar"), you should be able to spot such a person easily enough and can then take them to the side to reassure them privately.

Jennaie
09-17-2006, 11:49 AM
First of all, never ask personal questions about religion, sexual orientation, etc.. in a job interview. It would probably be best to supply each person you interview with a written company policy addressing, sexual orientation/identity, sexual harrassment, race, gender, religion, etc. This handout would basically put at ease any person who may feel uneasy about not only dressing, but being gay, lesbian, whatever.

There are several companies out there who address these issues and some of the girls here work for them. Perhaps one of them could get you a copy of the policies they were provided with.

sparks
09-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey I need a job!!!! What's starting wage. Also does it involve a deep fryer?

Kate Simmons
09-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Hey I need a job!!!! What's starting wage. Also does it involve a deep fryer?You can be my "Girl Friday" when I open my private investigation business, Sparks. I do not discriminate but will consider my sisters first.:happy: Ericka

Lawren
09-17-2006, 12:06 PM

I'll stop now cos im confusing myself now. :heehee:

If I were starting a company from scratch I would make it clear in each potential empolyee's interview that there is no dress code other than being safely and decently dressed. It would also be made clear that no discrimination would be tolerated.

sparks
09-17-2006, 12:16 PM
You can be my "Girl Friday" when I open my private investigation business, Sparks. I do not discriminate but will consider my sisters first.:happy: Ericka

Do i get a juniour G-girl kit with magnifying glass and decoder watch?

Very exciting prospect.

Lisa Golightly
09-17-2006, 12:26 PM
I own a company... I lead by example ;)

Emeralddragon
09-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Hmmmm company policies good. Can anyone gimme a copy of one or two? Please?

Oh and sparke if we were to give you a job youd have to leave your family and friends and come to ireland and live in the store cos anywhere else in dublin costs an arm and a leg. But at least we dont have a deep fryer being put in. just computers.

EDIT: Thats nice lise but unfortunately i dont have the balls to be femme all the time yet. Ya know that sounds so wrong dont it.

angelfire
09-17-2006, 12:29 PM
First of all, never ask personal questions about religion, sexual orientation, etc.. in a job interview. It would probably be best to supply each person you interview with a written company policy addressing, sexual orientation/identity, sexual harrassment, race, gender, religion, etc. This handout would basically put at ease any person who may feel uneasy about not only dressing, but being gay, lesbian, whatever.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

JenniferMint
09-17-2006, 12:38 PM
I own a company... I lead by example ;)

I run an online business and I have people working for me, although all of them do their work from home. But most of them know that I CD (I've even asked their opinions on my pictures! we're pretty casual) and a few know that I'm TG.

sparks
09-17-2006, 12:47 PM
just computers.

EG I can still deep fry em! I will dress en femme for you but you will have to realize I pass as well as a bucket of chicken does. My legs match those of the chicken.

sue ellan
09-17-2006, 12:59 PM
the add would read. new company needs employes. only crossdressers need apply. the company would not even get off the ground, but it is good thought
sue ellan.

angelfire
09-17-2006, 01:03 PM
the add would read. new company needs employes. only crossdressers need apply. the company would not even get off the ground, but it is good thought
sue ellan.

Not with that kind of attitude it wouldn't.

Actually, I would say an ad like that might very well get some responses. But it depends on a few things. 1: how big is the company going to be? I mean, if you only need a team of like 5 people, its very possible to get people with that ad. if you are looking for 50, it seems highly unlikely.

I am starting my own design company, and have only had 1 contract thus far, and it didn't end so well (The client tried to rip me off, when I already exceeded what she paid for). I am waiting to get it off the ground though, because I am still in college, but once I graduate and have a steady flow, I will likely start freelancing more, and perhaps start up a small company with maybe a few other people.

Kate Simmons
09-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Do i get a juniour G-girl kit with magnifying glass and decoder watch?

Very exciting prospect.You get to do paperwork, silly (and show some leg to the clients) while I do the running and investigating.:happy: Eric(ka) Uh-okay I'll get you a decoder watch if you want!

Carroll
09-17-2006, 01:29 PM
I just got hired and the company's anti-discrimination policy does mention gender identity as covered. When it was just me and the HR person I asked what would happened if an employee decided to start dressing as the opposite sex. She said she was not sure exactly how to handle it because if the person is a male he needs to dress according to the company policy, so, in effect, that person dressing as a female would be violating the dress code.
I think what it really boiled down to is that she was really not sure what she would do, and would have to guidance from higher up. I am not bold enough to do that, but I hope the be there when it does happened

Ellaine
09-17-2006, 01:46 PM
I just got hired and the company's anti-discrimination policy does mention gender identity as covered. When it was just me and the HR person I asked what would happened if an employee decided to start dressing as the opposite sex. She said she was not sure exactly how to handle it because if the person is a male he needs to dress according to the company policy, so, in effect, that person dressing as a female would be violating the dress code.
I think what it really boiled down to is that she was really not sure what she would do, and would have to guidance from higher up. I am not bold enough to do that, but I hope the be there when it does happened

Hi Carroll...Problem. If as indicated above, an employee must dress according to their stated gender, as per application form, then such form should have "transgender" as one of the , now 3 options. Is that correct?

Carroll
09-17-2006, 01:55 PM
either that or "prefer not to answer"

Ellaine
09-17-2006, 03:01 PM
either that or "prefer not to answer"

Well Carroll, if that's in answer to mine....It might as well say.. I disqualify myself.

If a transgender policy is in place, it is no good if dressing is completely outlawed by the Male/Female option backed with compulsory dressing as stated gender. See what I mean?
Or am I missing something?

Kate Simmons
09-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Well Carroll, if that's in answer to mine....It might as well say.. I disqualify myself.

If a transgender policy is in place, it is no good if dressing is completely outlawed by the Male/Female option backed with compulsory dressing as stated gender. See what I mean?
Or am I missing something? I get your point. The policy sounds like PC "double talk" to me, Ellaine. Ericka

Tina Dixon
09-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Hell if they show up on time every day and don't have a ton of personal phone calls and work well with others I don't care what they do on there own time.

sparks
09-17-2006, 03:41 PM
You get to do paperwork, silly (and show some leg to the clients) while I do the running and investigating.:happy: Eric(ka) Uh-okay I'll get you a decoder watch if you want!

Oh....I can type a soild tne words a minute. And tend to spend lots of time on the forum. Showing leg? Please read said comment about chicken legs.

Once again layed off CD looking for work. Please PM mefor any available work.

Kate Simmons
09-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Oh....I can type a soild tne words a minute. And tend to spend lots of time on the forum. Showing leg? Please read said comment about chicken legs.

Once again layed off CD looking for work. Please PM mefor any available work.S'okay, Got ways to fix that Hon.:happy: Ericka

sparks
09-17-2006, 03:49 PM
S'okay, Got ways to fix that Hon.:happy: Ericka

You not pimpin' me out are ya sister! I want that decoder watch and I will move to Ireland to fry computers.

Teresa Amina
09-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Eire! Loved it when there 5 years ago, do I get in on citizenship with this job? Just gotta sell the house and I'm on the way!:D

Kate Simmons
09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
You not pimpin' me out are ya sister! I want that decoder watch and I will move to Ireland to fry computers.Not pimping Sparks dear and the first thing on my agenda is for you to fly to Ireland to fry computers. How'd you know that anyway? Keeping on track here, my company would be an equal opportunity employer. Equal to CD's, TG's TS's, yadda, yadda. Not really "legal" per se but hey--we gotta start somewhere and I think Emerald had a valid point by starting this thread. Ericka Kay

Emeralddragon
09-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Eire! Loved it when there 5 years ago, do I get in on citizenship with this job? Just gotta sell the house and I'm on the way!:D

I think ya can get a 7 year work permit easy enough and after a little while ya can either get it extended or apply for citizenship i think. Well at least i know if we need people we sure as hell would get them. Course at the moment wed only be able to offer minimum wage which is at the moment €7.90 i think.

Not pimping Sparks dear and the first thing on my agenda is for you to fly to Ireland to fry computers. How'd you know that anyway? Keeping on track here, my company would be an equal opportunity employer. Equal to CD's, TG's TS's, yadda, yadda. Not really "legal" per se but hey--we gotta start somewhere and I think Emerald had a valid point by starting this thread. Ericka Kay

Well yeah. I mean how many of us here have had terrible times in work worrying if people saw certain things. Its supposed to be against the law to discriminate and still companies do it. Its nice to try and find ways of not discriminating and showing that you dont as best ya can. Hell if one place does it more may copy their stance and change their ways.

As far as dress codes go wed only have maybe a t-shirt or jumper with the company logo on it so i guess it would be an indication to any employees that they can do what they want as long as they wear the t-shirt/jumper when theyre working.

lisa68
09-18-2006, 03:38 AM
Well hun, I think I understand what you are trying to ask and it's a difficult to answer when it comes to discrimination the way you want hire the employees that are accepted the way you want them, because of you looking at it if are the one who neeeded the job. I been to a very few places that do offer uni-sex bathrooms, but not to sure how well the feelings are among the workers or their policy. Sorry if that dosen't help.

Kate Simmons
09-18-2006, 04:44 AM
Well hun, I think I understand what you are trying to ask and it's a difficult to answer when it comes to discrimination the way you want hire the employees that are accepted the way you want them, because of you looking at it if are the one who neeeded the job. I been to a very few places that do offer uni-sex bathrooms, but not to sure how well the feelings are among the workers or their policy. Sorry if that dosen't help.With this in mind, it's interesting that the gay club I go to only hires gay or TG people to work there. Ericka Kay

Sky
09-18-2006, 09:05 AM

Ummm... very unlikely. What she meant, in HR jargon, is "I won't say you can't but you know I actually mean you can't". That's how things work in the corporate world.