PDA

View Full Version : called sir,shoppping

michelle19845
09-18-2006, 11:23 PM
no,i wasn't in femme attire,but i went to a walmart,bought a womens coat,a skirt/blouse set,some wax for arms and paid witha credit card.i didn't mind shopping en mostly drab,but had my hair curled femme and my eyebrows plucked ,they needed my drivers license for id with that credit card.when it was all done being rung up she said :"have a good day ,sir".you know that was to be a smarty pants eh?they sure like doing that.

GG Vanya
09-18-2006, 11:33 PM
I don't see how you could judge her to be a smarty pants. She addressed you in the gender you presented most.

AND, she looked at your ID which clearly denotes you're male.:rolleyes:

trannie T
09-19-2006, 12:54 AM
If you're dressed as a male and present male ID why would you expect to be addressed as anything but a male? I don't understand your complaint.

tekla west
09-19-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm missing this too. If your DL says male and the pix is male, what did you expect?

Nigella
09-19-2006, 03:09 AM
The cashier was "superperson", had xray vision and should have been able to see through the male personna that was presented ;)

RachelDenise
09-19-2006, 04:53 AM
I really don't think most cashiers look that closely at people, and focus on the ID. It says guy so they see guy despite the cute hair and eyebrows. Make-up or other outwardly fem clothes would tip the scales to confusion rather than ma'am.

jjjjohanne
09-19-2006, 05:02 AM
This makes me think of "Pat" from Saturday Night Live!!!

Kieron Andrew
09-19-2006, 05:11 AM
i dont get either, is there a catch or a punchline coming???? you were dressed male and you have a male DL, soooo just cos you may have bought some female things the assumption was you bought them for your wife as so many men do!

Emma England
09-19-2006, 06:11 AM
It would be worse if you were enfemme, and the sa still called you sir.

Kieron Andrew
09-19-2006, 06:29 AM
It would be worse if you were enfemme, and the sa still called you sir.EXACTLY!! my point

Charleen
09-19-2006, 08:44 AM
After presenting yourself as a male regardless of what you were buying, I think I would more concerned if I was called ma'am!
Love and xxxx, Lily

Karren H
09-19-2006, 09:27 AM
I hate it when I'm called Sir....not because I'm not one especially when in male mode...but it makes me feel soooo.......old!!! <Sigh>

Love Karren

imDanielle2
09-19-2006, 04:31 PM
I was at the mall a few years back and was buying a puppy. I was living full time by then but my ID's still had my "boy" info on them. I was paying for the puppy, handed the cashier my credit card and she ran it...then she looked at it and asked me whos card it was? I told her "mine" and then she asked for my ID. She looked at it, looked at me and then said "this is you?" I said yep...she was like, you go girl and handed my card and ID back and smiled real big. Was a fun day. My roomate at the time got a kick out of it when the girl gave me the double takes.

vbcdgrl
09-19-2006, 05:22 PM
personally, I don't think the cashier was being a smarty pants. She correctly nailed you as a guy 'cause you were in drab attire. People don't pay attention to such details as your plucked eyebrows and lot's of guys have long hair. She would have been a smarty pants if she had called you Ma'am.

Vikki

michelle19845
09-21-2006, 10:18 AM
i guess it's just that i hate being called "sir" and take it personally and offensive and insulting.i feel they know who i really am ,but just to play games and irritate me ,they say "sir".they could say nothing after "thanks or have a good day",but seems like they say that just cause of your purchase to get on your nerve.i personally don't like to be called "dude", "sir", etc. thats all.

SherryLynn GG
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
i guess it's just that i hate being called "sir" and take it personally and offensive and insulting.i feel they know who i really am ,but just to play games and irritate me ,they say "sir".they could say nothing after "thanks or have a good day",but seems like they say that just cause of your purchase to get on your nerve.i personally don't like to be called "dude", "sir", etc. thats all.

Most cashiers call you sir or ma'am to be nice, its not to insult you...personally if i saw you id call you sir to even if you were buying all womens things...Ive worked retail before and you cant assume because a man is buying womens things he's a CD.....Lots of men shop for their wives because their wives ask them to, or maybe they have a wife that cant shop so they have no choice....In my opinion if you wanna be called ma'am then you need to be dressed the part....showing a male ID and wearing male clothes is gonna get you called sir no matter where you are....not sure how that is offensive or insulting since you are in fact a sir...just my :2c:

EricaCD
09-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Add my name to the list of puzzled crossdressers and GGs here. I'm sorry you don't like to be called "sir", but to imply that the salesperson was somehow in the wrong for doing so? You lost me there.

noname
09-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Most cashiers call you sir or ma'am to be nice, its not to insult you...personally if i saw you id call you sir to even if you were buying all womens things...Ive worked retail before and you cant assume because a man is buying womens things he's a CD.....Lots of men shop for their wives because their wives ask them to, or maybe they have a wife that cant shop so they have no choice....In my opinion if you wanna be called ma'am then you need to be dressed the part....showing a male ID and wearing male clothes is gonna get you called sir no matter where you are....not sure how that is offensive or insulting since you are in fact a sir...just my :2c:

Agreed, last Christmas I bought my wife a purse. I didn't set out to, but no store had what she wanted, and I knew her purse was looking a bit tatterd and ragged. So I picked out a purse and went to purchase it. The cashier said to me, would you like a gift reciept? Please, it's not like it's for me. She said, 'hey you never know.' They don't know what your buying and for who it's for, and really they probably see it all. Relax a bit, she has no way of knowing what you wish to be called.

Lisa Golightly
09-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I got called Miss today by some old gimmer even though I was in my (Insert racing team) colours... grrrrrrrrrrr :(

kathy gg
09-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Trying to find the snub here, can't see it.....

Becaue you were dressed as a guy and had to present a male id...hmm....I would think that the other 10% of the population would have complained had she addressed them as "Miss.".....

There is enough to complain about in this world why go looking for problems where there are none.

GG Vanya
09-21-2006, 03:49 PM

Ummmm do you live in Mayberry? That's the only place I can think of, and it's fiction, where you could assume everyone "knows who you really are." SA's aren't mind readers. They're underpaid and overworked. The fact that you were treated with respect is admirable, in my opinion.

I would tell you to take it up with the Manager, but I highly doubt you'd like the result. I agree it's inappropriate for someone in sales to call you "dude", but SIR is indication of respect.

As Kathy says, no need to go looking and fabricating problems. My advise is, harsh as it may sound~Get over it already!

Marla
09-21-2006, 03:53 PM
The last time I went to buy lipstick the salesgirl said that my wife should be real proud of me for remembering the shades, little knowing the were my favorites.
Lashes and nails are a little different!

Sweet Marie
09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
I was exiting Barnes & Noble today dressed en femme. This nice young man ran ahead of me and said "ladies first". Now if I had been dressed in drab I would have been insulted. Do not see your complaint. Where you having a bad day in general?

Marie