PDA

View Full Version : Oh No, Not another "shopping" question

Phyliss
09-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Well, yes it is sorta.

Now we all like to dream of having a job in a dress shop. (OMG I'd love it)

For those members who do their shopping "in person" either in drab or en fem I have a question. Now I know there are many who do their shopping on line and if you want to answer you can also.

Here's the situation:

You're headed into your favorite shop, ( Fashion Bug, Lane Bryant, Cache, Dots, Catherines, Gap, Nine West, pick one anyone) as you're browsing to find something a S.A. does the usual "Can I help you?" only this time the S.A. is a guy. Obviously he works there, and seems quite comfortable with his employment, and isn't some "flaming over the top" mincer. Just a guy who works there and is willing to help you.
My question is "Would you feel comfortable or not?"
I'm not exactly sure just how I would deal with this but, if I'm comfortable enough to shop there and he's comfortable enough to work there, I guess I don't see a problem. Might be a bit awkward at first but, since my money is a green as anybody else's.....

uknowhoo
09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Hiya Phyllis.:hugs:

I know (right now) I would feel a bit more awkward with a male S.A. I only shop in drab (so far) and am just getting to the point where I usually don't feel very awkward with a female S.A. I expect, with pratice, a month or a year from now I'd likewise feel more OK with a male S.A. tending to my needs.

swiss_susan
09-19-2006, 08:00 AM
As long as I get what I came for I don't really care to be honest.

krissysSecret
09-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Phyllis...I believe that I would be quite comfortable with a male associate helping me. I only shop in male mode when out in person,but have no problem asking for something if I cannot find it.Speaking of your dream job...I had the opportunity to live it although I was quite young at the time.My mother owned a beautiful small clothing boutique and I remember helping her out at the store.I would help unpack the new items and help her arrange the racks, etc.I was in the 5th and 6th grade at the time,but I have never forgotten the thrill of being around all those beautiful womens clothes.I know that had an impact on me that lingers still today.Sadly, the store only lasted a couple years.I have imagined how nice it would have been to help her run the store for many years.
Hugs...Kriss

Karren H
09-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Well I don't know how I would react....probably ok if not a little nesitant...I'd rather have a female SA...more pleasnat to look at I guess. Lol

Love Karren

Samantha B L
09-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi Phyllis,I've had female salespeople for all of my shopping for a long time now.I'd be nervous about the guy asking"may I help you".But I shouldn't be! With rare exceptions most businesses are cd freindly and that includes all the employees.Samantha

Jenna1561
09-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm certain I'd be uncomfortable with a male SA. He'd probably be professional and courteous, but it would be awkward for me.

Jenna

Emma England
09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Yes, it would be uncomfortable.

Somehow it seems easier to admit my dressing habits to a female.

Maybe thats because all my assistants have been female so far.

LouiseCassell
09-19-2006, 12:01 PM
No, as somone already posted - as long as I went out of the shop with what I wanted then does it matter?

My main gripe with shops is sometimes getting too much help - male or female.

KarenSusan
09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
I really don't think it would bother me too much.

KateLongman27
09-19-2006, 01:50 PM
I think it would bother me since I would naturally assume there would be female S.A easier for the females to talk to etc. plus they're all the underlying thoughts that I would get of something is wrong with this picture i.e. A male S.A in a mostly female item area?

Sandra
09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
My main gripe with shops is sometimes getting too much help - male or female.

I agree they pounce as soon as you walk in and if you say you are just browsing then they hang around you. Many a time I have turned and walked out saying to them "I don't like people hanging around watching me while I am looking at things" I know they are only doing their job but it can make you feel uncomfortable at times.

Sky
09-19-2006, 03:32 PM
...as you're browsing to find something a S.A. does the usual "Can I help you?" only this time the S.A. is a guy.... My question is "Would you feel comfortable or not?"

It happened to me a few times and it was perfectly ok. For example, shoes and handbag sections in large department stores often have male salespersons. Not an issue at all. They are all trained to make the most sales they can, so no experienced SA -male or female- would do anything to make you feel uncomfortable. There's nothing else to it.

MeaganDee
09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Interesting question,,,,,,,, what he be wearing?

angelfire
09-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I would likely feel awkward. Hell, I still feel awkward buying if the SA is a younger girl. I feel most comfortable if they are middle-aged women. I guess I just feel they are more in control of their emotions and would be less likely to judge. I know its a large generalisation, but thats just how I feel. I also feel they are more indifferent.

Jodi
09-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I've been there and done that on both sides. As a guy working at New York & Co and The Limited, I saw guys come in, who I knew were shopping for themselves. When I asked to help them, some would show fear and turn and run. If they only knew? I had others that were open and honest. They got the best service that money could buy. They usually bought big and came back to spend more. Nothing like a happy satisfied customer. BTW, I never told any of them that I was a cd. If they were smart, they probably guessed.

When shopping in drab, I have had male SA's wait on me. No problem. I've gotten great service from men. THey were pro's.

Kodi

Adrienne Heels
09-19-2006, 08:27 PM
I am uncomfortable if a guy is the SA when I am buying femme items. But just yesterday, I was in Lord & Taylor browsing ladies shoes amd the male SA (an older guy) asked if I needed any help and was very nice, so maybe it would be okay to deal with a guy.

samantha#1
09-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Last week dressed in drab I went to buy myself some new underwear and a couple of summer nighties as our tempreture is on the rise for summer; anyhow the guy that served me was an ex-student of mine and that was a bit nerve racking at first but I chose to ignore who he was and got on with my purchase. Your dead right money is money and if they want it then quality and service is what we are after.
Hugs to all
Samantha

DAVIDA
09-19-2006, 08:52 PM
On my last occasion buying bras and panties in Sears,there was a male employee being trained at the counter and he handled my sale. I was even returning some things that I had purcased for my wife that did not fit her . I think he was more nervois about getting the transaction right than wondering about a guy buying bras!

Joy Carter
09-20-2006, 04:05 AM
Your probably not the first or the last Phillis that he has waited on.