PDA

View Full Version : crossdress for the red cross

melanieee
09-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Have a look at the site www.redcross.org.au/crossdress. Fundraising for the redcross by crossdressing, makes me wonder about the fundraising committee lol

celeste26
09-19-2006, 06:56 AM
I cant imagine American Red Cross actually endorsing this here in the states. Unless it was only in areas like SF bay area.

Fascinating idea though

Vicky_Scot
09-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Sorry but this kind of thing does not help our cause.

Charleen
09-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda with Skirt Lover on this one. It's for a terrific cause, and is in the spirit of having fun, but they seem to be making fun at the same time. It tells me that what we (sorry Kat) here take as serious issue, is not seen as such by the general population. Got a long way to go towards acceptance my sisters. Love and xxxx, Lily

swiss_susan
09-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Well I for one think this is a great idea. While there will be those, most probably, who will approach this in a lighthearted fashion, it will acomplish several goals.

One, it will give an acceptable outlet for many who are afraid to do this on their own a chance to get out and about.

Two, it will give people an opportunity to both experience on some level the idea of crossdressing, and to interact with those who do. (who knows we might get a few converts who get roped into it) :D

Three, it will raise money for one of the few truly humanitarian organizations in the world.

Karren H
09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Susan's has some good points...just because it doesn't deal with crossdressing on a "serious" note doesn't mean that the public exposure isn't valuable...

I'd much rather go see something happy and fun vs a somber rights march...

Love Karren

KarenSusan
09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
How do I get nominated?

Dave3
09-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Thank you melanieee for pointing this out (I had no idea).

The 'Haloween Parties' so often discussed on this forum are unheard of here in Australia. Indeed, something we could only wish for....

I do realise that some people will not be impressed with light-hearted, humourous and coimcal "stunts", things which are hardly going to further the cause of the transgendered.

However, I have NEVER previously seen (in Australia) a "socially acceptable" crossdressing phenomenon. Light hearted, whimsical parodys? Undoubtedly. Tangible benefit to a charitable organisation? Hopefully a few $. Opportunity to wear a skirt at work? Priceless!

At this stage, it seems to be nothing more than wishful thinking. But if a few major corporations would get involved - some MEDIA attention before the day - who knows. It just might take off.

And yea - if office politics were agreeable - I'd be in on the act :)

Ellaine
09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't see any valid reason to criticise the Redcross effort.

If our own support groups did more serious local public awareness promotion, not just jump on the LGB "fun days" it would be a step foreward.

Robin Leigh
09-19-2006, 10:06 AM
As an Aussie, I suppose I ought to throw in my :2c: on this. :)

Australians are traditionally fairly generous, and of course the Red Cross has a very good reputation. If this is event is financially & socially successful, it's quite likely to become an annual event. I think this could have a positive effect for crossdressing in general, in the long run. We need a day when straight society allows us to dress up.

We don't traditionally celebrate Halloween here, although it has started to become popular for children in recent years. We don't have any day in the year when it is traditional for people to dress in costume. Some people do have costume parties for New Year's Eve, but it's not that common, & that's the middle of summer for us, so costumes can't get too elaborate.

Of course there's always the annual Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras parade in Sydney, but that's not really for TG people, per se...

The Cross Dress for Red Cross Day is supposed to be a bit of light-hearted workplace fun, so a bit of burlesque will be unavoidable, I guess. The pictures on their website (http://www.redcross.org.au/crossdress/) do make me cringe a bit, but I generally like the tone of what's written. However, I'm intrigued to see this statement there:

If you've ever had an inclination to cross dress
or you really want to see what your boss looks like
wearing something you'd normally wear then
get nominating NOW!
They're basically saying that the only people who'll be crossdressing are people who already have the inclination, or else are being force-feminized (-masculinized). :( So it's not just giving CDs an opportunity to dress, it also gives us a chance to out ourselves... unless we can trick someone into 'forcing' us, Brer Rabbit style. I guess any girls at work who suspect that we CD will be jumping at the chance to get us to dress. :)

I don't know if I'll participate this time around, but I'll be very interested to see what happens. :D

Robin

JoAnnDallas
09-19-2006, 10:08 AM
I used to be a member of the Elks. In the lodge I used to be in, once a year the officers had to crossdress for an event. They would have to walk the runway and show off their outfit. Each was judged in outfit, makeup, walk, mannerisms, and voice. At the end of the event a queen and two runner ups were selected. Kinka like a Bueaty Pagent. It was a fun night, but everyone was respectable to the officers. Yes there were cat calls and whisles as they walked the runway, but other than that, they were treated with respect. Each member had to pay $5 to attend the event, and $1 to dance with the officer, which was donated to charity. All in all a fun time and the officers did not seem to mind and had as much fun as the rest of us. Almost made me want to be an officer. LOL

KateLongman27
09-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda with Skirt Lover on this one. It's for a terrific cause, and is in the spirit of having fun, but they seem to be making fun at the same time. It tells me that what we (sorry Kat) here take as serious issue, is not seen as such by the general population. Got a long way to go towards acceptance my sisters. Love and xxxx, Lily

and

Disagree with you two on this, it's for the Red Cross and as such anyone who is brave enough should participate and raise money for this organisation.

Besides I don't think it'll do any harm, it may as said in some other posts may give the chance for some people to come out the closet for one day.

So this is my :2c:

Vicky_Scot
09-19-2006, 10:21 AM
and

Disagree with you two on this, it's for the Red Cross and as such anyone who is brave enough should participate and raise money for this organisation.

Besides I don't think it'll do any harm, it may as said in some other posts may give the chance for some people to come out the closet for one day.

So this is my :2c:

Well thats whats great about a forum, we all have our opinions on different matters and as long as we respect each others views even if we do not agree with them, we cannot ask more than that.

The only thing I would like to add is if someone comes out for the one day and is to convincing, and workmates ,friends or family catch on that this is not the first time the person has done this then it could be more than one day for the reprocussions. Let's be honest someone who dresses on a regular basis is a damn site more noticeable than someone dressing for the first time.

But good luck to them.

Charleen
09-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Regardless of anything else, I hope they raisen a SH-T load of money!!!!!!! Hope it works out well for everyone involved!
Love and xxxx, Lily

susandrea
09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Personally, I think any time crossdressing is treated in a friendly, light-hearted way instead of with fear and intolerance it's a step in the right direction.

:thumbsup:

linnea
09-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I am with Karen Sue! How do I get nominated? Of course, being to eager could tip my hand, but I think that I could play it cool and help the Red Cross as I show others that to crossdress isn't such a bad thing.

How do I get nominated?

mistunderstood
09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
You can nominate your self. Follow the instructions they are easy.

vbcdgrl
09-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Very interesting.......I'll consider it....depending on what else comes up.

Vikki

angelfire
09-19-2006, 05:51 PM
The only thing I would like to add is if someone comes out for the one day and is to convincing, and workmates ,friends or family catch on that this is not the first time the person has done this then it could be more than one day for the reprocussions. Let's be honest someone who dresses on a regular basis is a damn site more noticeable than someone dressing for the first time.

If I participate what I intend to to is talk to friends and try to get others to participate. However, I am a man with a plan. I want to look good, so I will ask a GG friend of mine for help with everything. help me clothes shop, make-up, and everything. May seem more 'normal'.

Plus I have never applied make-up before, so I would be believably bad to be accepted.

tekla west
09-19-2006, 06:09 PM
1. I do not think there is anything about this that is disparaging in the least. Looks like fun. And given it’s the Red Cross it can't be too far afield, they are there when people need them, for sure on that.

2. I don't think it “hurts the cause” (whatever that is? - is the 'cause' hiding in your room with 100+ pairs of panties while lying to the wife? or is the cause of exploring your bi side while married, or is it civil rights, which I hear very little about, but tons about how to buy a bra - face it kids, this is no less “hurting the cause” than any casual reading of this board would be) its fun, and innocent fun at that. It’s a costume party for pete's sake, lighten up. That it raised money for a good cause is just a bonus.

3. I'm with you Karren, for the most part. I do love the big happy parties for Trannyshack, or the Faux Fems party every year, but I find something deep and powerful in the "Day of Remembrance March and the Remember Our Dead Rally" every year too. It helps balance the fun to know that we are part of a real world that does not always wish us well. I find it most powerful in terms of sorority also, as it brings us together in the real world, to face the real world. Ms. Smith is to be commended for her work in bringing this about.

Marla S
09-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I think it is an interesting idea and probably a good one for us.
CDing doesn't get the chance very often to be seen in a positive, non-conspirative context.
The more this happens the more people will get used to see us.

Ally
09-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi Melaniee,

I don't know it this is an Australian wide campaign though! It looks like it's a local Weestern Australian campaign, hence all the sponsers being local WA companies. I'm going to email the media contact of Red Cross to see how it's being marketed on the east coast. If it gets some media attention here I'd put myself up for nomination!

Ally

USNguyNskirt
09-19-2006, 08:33 PM
My suggestion, they chose cross dressing because it has to do with red CROSS OR they have a crossdresser working secretly in their ranks of people who organize these things. Those are my two cents. Now we need a HUGE email of people maybe willing to sign a petition or something to get this to happen here in the states as well and in EU and everywhere. This is a GREAT idea. LEts think outside the box. Not only could we turn this crossdress for the redcross into a worldwide event, and an anuual event. We could make it into a recognized day. Isnt it about time the crossdressers had their own day? November 3rd is a little close to halloween.........So maybe we pick a different day, but i think you get where i am going with this. I am emailing my local red cross and think everyone should email theirs and get them on board.

angelfire
09-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Good idea about contacting the other branches. And if we have out own day, I suggest either the spring or summer.

swiss_susan
09-20-2006, 02:49 AM
To get the idea spread as far as possible I think it would be best to get the ICRC to sponser the idea rather than the individual Red Cross and Red crescent societies. But bear in mind there are many places that simply will not allow this.

Maybe I'll stop by the ICRC on my way home and suggest a global campaign :D

The first wednesday of every month :heehee:

Joy Carter
09-20-2006, 03:24 AM
It's all just in fun. We have a mock lock-up here in town where you can send a police cruiser to your victims location and they will "take them into custody" lock them into a mock jail cell with a phone and tell them they need so many dollars in donations to get outta jail. It's usually on the evening news. Gee you think the next time I collect for the "Old News Boys" (in drag now) that I might get more in donations+? :rolleyes:

Clare
09-20-2006, 03:33 AM
As an Aussie, i'd have to agree with Robin in general. Strange, this is the first i've heard of the event, so it obviously hasn't been advertised very well so far.

Although i'm inclined to do it, i'd be the only male in my workplace willing to do so. I guess i'd prefer to have a bunch of guys crossdressing so that I could blend in with the fun aspect of it.

Can you imagine me fronting up to work with my normally smooth legs in a dress that fits perfectly, along with womens shoes that also fit, and makeup that is applied quite well for a single bloke? I'm sure questions would be asked!

Nigella
09-20-2006, 04:09 AM
To get the idea spread as far as possible I think it would be best to get the ICRC to sponser the idea rather than the individual Red Cross and Red crescent societies. But bear in mind there are many places that simply will not allow this.

Maybe I'll stop by the ICRC on my way home and suggest a global campaign :D

The first wednesday of every month :heehee:

Would love to see the response from the Red Crescent on the idea of a crossdressing fund raiser. :heehee:

melanieee
09-21-2006, 05:03 AM
I wont be going to work in drag,gotta wear steelcap boots,orange shirt with reflective tape on shirt and pants,hard hat and safety goggles.
my fellow goldminers ......nah, it aint going to happen in outback Aussie.

Penny
09-21-2006, 05:46 AM
I think this is a super idea. Now, if we can get all the other charities to follow suit, we could crossdress all year. You know I would more than happy to dawn a new dress to save the whales!:heehee:

jjjjohanne
09-21-2006, 06:40 AM
As of the time of this posting, the stats on the right say they have 21 dollars donated by two people and they have 36 crossdressers. hmmmmmm.

swiss_susan
09-21-2006, 07:26 AM
Well in truth if you go to their site you do have to kind of search for it. It is really not well advertized.

All you aussie girls get the word out start nominating people :D

ReginaK
09-21-2006, 07:58 AM
I think this is a wonderful idea. I'd like to see this in the US.

Robin Leigh
09-21-2006, 08:04 AM
I wont be going to work in drag,gotta wear steelcap boots,orange shirt with reflective tape on shirt and pants,hard hat and safety goggles.
my fellow goldminers ......nah, it aint going to happen in outback Aussie.

So you're not going to dress like Snow White? :heehee: No reason you can't wear a bit of makeup. Or at least a badge... if you dare. :)

I bet we get more "Footy Show" style dressing than true class acts, though.
It'll be fun to see the GGs CDing.

As of the time of this posting, the stats on the right say they have 21 dollars donated by two people and they have 36 crossdressers. hmmmmmm.

There's still a month to go. Give it time. I guess those donations were submitted early. The money will roll in on the day.

Robin

jo_ann
10-14-2006, 02:26 PM
video up on youtube now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfPBK1jsoBU

Snookums
10-14-2006, 08:21 PM

I had no idea crossdressing was a cause,I think the fund raiser is a good idea,it's not harming anyone,it's helping.