PDA

View Full Version : Truckers...wearing PANTYHOSE???

ChristineRenee
09-19-2006, 11:08 AM
It's true ladies...it's TRUE! According to an article yesterday in the Lakeland local newspaper The Ledger entitled..."No Nonsense...Wearing Pantyhose Is Serious Business For Some Guys"...

Real men wear pantyhose. Really, they do. Just ask Bobby, a 40 year old Polk County truck driver. Bobby is not a crossdresser and doesn't have a sexual fetish, he simply likes the way hose supports his legs during long hauls and how they helped stabilize a recent knee injury.

"It's just like wearing a pair of silk boxers", he says. "Nothing wrong with that. I just like the way pantyhose feel."

As a married father of one, Bobby's family stands by his choice to wear pantyhose, but he still asked that we not use his last name for fear of his friends and colleagues might make fun of him, or worse, consider him to be a weirdo. (:()

Bobby is not alone. In an effort to get recognition for pantyhose as a genderless garment, online groups such as "Legwear as Unisex Fashion" and "Men Wearing Pantyhose for Health Reasons" exist for men who use hosiery as a functional piece of clothing. Those sites shun sexual content, and hundreds of men who contribute posts ask each other advice on what to tell their girlfriends or if shaved legs keep hose from slipping. (:p) Others give testimony on how hose helped them with restless leg syndrome or kept their legs feeling fresh after working on their feet all day.

Bobby's wife accepts his nylons and even likes the way they look on him. He says he's found women tend to be more open to the idea of men wearing pantyhose than men who don't, which is why he still keeps things under wraps.

A few men from the forums said it took some convincing to get their wives and girlfriends to understand their fashion choice, but when they did, next thing they knew, their wives were helping them pick out styles. (;))

Terri Barnes, a publicist for L'eggs Hanes Bali says she wasn't aware of a mainstream market for men. "I would be surprised if there was."

Her company may be missing out. Sheer hosiery sales for women have declined for more than a decade, according to NPD, a market research company. Current fashion has favored bare legs for women and they have abandoned nylons to gathering dust in their chest of drawers. But it seems certain men can't get enough of them. (:D)

Mike Blackport, 38, of Grand Rapids, Mich., is moderator for the Delphi Forum site "Legwear as Unisex Fashion", and he has been a fan of hosiery for decades. "I think they are the most comfortable article of clothing available, he says. "About 15 years ago, I decided that a man wearing pantyhose is not illegal, or even embarrassing, so I decided to come out from under my long pants and in the warmer months wear them with shorts. My family, friends, and co-workers all know and honestly don't care what I have on my legs."

Blackport continues, "Today's woman wears many men's garments - all we're saying is give us equal fashion rights", he says. "No, I don't want a skirt and high heels, (lol...give it time mate :p), I just want to enjoy the benefits of hosiery. And the thing is, equal hosiery fashion rights are already here. I am living proof. I wear them every day proudly." (:thumbsup:)

I can just see Madison Avenue and their ads now: PANTYHOSE...not just for women and crossdressers anymore! :D

Looks like we have come a long way baby...finally eh?

I hope you enjoyed this article as much as I did girls! :happy:

Stephenie S
09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Dear Girls,

Medically speaking, wearing support hose is a good idea for anyone sitting still for long periods of time. Remember the recent article on the dangers of developeing blood clots when flying? Same thing.

So all of you who drive, fly, or even just sit still for long periods, get yourself some suport hose and be safe. Even just light support like "Sheer Energy" or "Hanes Alive" is much better than nothing.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Phyliss
09-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I buy all my support stockings from here:

http://www.brightlifedirect.com/

The Allegro brand are about the best deal for the money.

I work on my feet each day and do a bunch of ladder climbing, legs feel great at the end of the day. They have no problem with my buying the stockings. Their only question is: "Which credit card are you using?"

Nice to see this article, there is hope yet.

Vivian Best
09-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Christine,

Personally I believe it is men that keep the hosery business alive today or at least have a great impact toward it.

Vivian:rose2:

tootall452
09-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Since I drive a semi I will have find them in my size since I am 6'7, an see how I feel after I wear them for aweek or two. After I see how I feel I will let u know

Karren H
09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
rrrrrrrrrrr!! Now a bunch of truck drivers are going to ruin it for us all!! Ok, maybe just for me!! If pantyhose or stockings becomes a unisex garmet then what I'm I supposed to wear when dressed "enfemme"....

It isn't fair I tell you....<Sob sob>

:D

Love Karren

LouiseCassell
09-19-2006, 12:09 PM
When I worked at a bus company many years ago I knew quite a few of the drivers that admitted to wearing tights under their trousers - usually in the winter when driving buses with no heating - it certainly helped keep you a little warmer.

Lawren
09-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Believe me. When you have to sit behind the wheel of a truck for ten hours you will try almost anything to make it more comfortable. Yes, pantyhose do help.

Nikki A.
09-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Before my hip replacement I found that support p/h helped alot. Even now I still wear them to work, especially if I know that I'll be walking or that I'll be outside in the cold for a while. Even my wife understands that.

Lindsay Marie
09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
I have a new reason to wear pantyhose now, maybe I can get my mother to buy them for me now.

Breanne
09-19-2006, 01:32 PM
I recall, many years ago (25 or more) reading that many post office letter carriers wore pantyhose in the winter months for reasons of warmth.

Joanna Kavalaskas
09-19-2006, 02:39 PM
In the 1970s I was friends with a lady that managed a large truck stop, here in the USA. One evening, a very bedraggled couple, man and woman, refueled and checked into the truckers motel provided exclusively for them to freshen up and rest. It was on the second floor over the store, security was tight so that only married couples could ascend together, no funny business allowed. An hour after they had went up to the rooms, a pair of young women descended the stairs, dressed in tight cut off jeans, shiny pantyhose, western shirts, high heeled boots, dolled up to the nines, and exited to a waiting taxi. The lady manager even went up and checked the rooms, it was definitely the couple! She went off shift before they returned, but sure had something to talk about for awhile. Oh yes, truckers wearing hose. Have been wearing tights for several years on the cold days, why? Because a long ago co worker said they kept him warm when working outside in freezing weather. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

celtic.blue.eyes
09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
There has also been a rumor that pantyhose is popular with cowboys, to prevent saddle sores. I can't say just how true it is, but it does seem pretty logical....:2c:

JASMINE(2)
09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
:sad: Yes i have woren panyhoses on long trips and when Jasmine was out and about

Now here is one for you to think about.
If you are going hiking or working out door where you might run in to Lime ticks and venomus spisers. Panty hose will keep them off your legs.

Sspent a weekend with a friend who lives in the country. We were getting ready to work on his firewood pile when he tossed me a pair and said put them on as they woud fend off ticks and spiders.(Never told him I had woren them befor) Wearing a pair of panty hose sure does beat a visit to thr Dr. office or hospital with toxic insect bite not to mention the costs $$$

CaptLex
09-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I can just see Madison Avenue and their ads now: PANTYHOSE...not just for women and crossdressers anymore!
Didn't (former Jets Quaterback) Joe Namath do a pantyhose commercial way back when? Also I remember reading that William Shatner wears them under his pants when he goes horseback riding (I forget the reason) - a tip he supposedly passed on to Patrick Stewart when they made Star Trek 7 (The Search for Lycra?) together. :heehee:

Alberta Daisy
09-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I was in the army for a long time, and we ruck marched once a week. A lot of the guys, me included, wore them to avoid raw hamburger thigh syndrom.

Kerry Owens
09-19-2006, 03:55 PM
A pair of medical stockings for a patient to keep them from having a blood clots develop is nothing more than a extra heavy duty panty hose.

annephorcy
09-19-2006, 04:29 PM
When I was in the Navy, it was quite common for male Quarteddeck Watches to wear them under their dress blues. (The so-called 'Cracker Jacks'.) A more inconvienent, uncomfortable - scratchy wool - garment I have never encountered. Too tight in all the wrong places to ever allow you to find a comfortable posture (especially when you're standing at parade rest in one place for six hours at a time.) And more importantly, too baggy in others to provide much protection against the wet ocean wind whistling through my ship's open fantail (where the nominal Quarterdeck was located when we were in port.)

Absolutely against regs, of course. But then 'don't ask - don't tell.' Besides, the Officer of the Deck was probably wearing them too. It was just as cold where he was standing.

myMichelle
09-19-2006, 04:34 PM
I actually wasen't too surprised to read your post. I've also heard that some construction workers wear pantyhose in the winter--the claim is that the hose help keep them warm. (Sorry Karren! LOL)

vbcdgrl
09-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Remember Joe Namath............ don't remember the details, but he admitted he wore pantyhose. I've tried the "support" hose, boy, they really support.
I can understand how they could be benificial to someone who's on their feet all the time, but truckers are sitting all the time.........HMMMMM.

Vikki

ChristineRenee
09-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Didn't (former Jets Quaterback) Joe Namath do a pantyhose commercial way back when? Also I remember reading that William Shatner wears them under his pants when he goes horseback riding (I forget the reason) - a tip he supposedly passed on to Patrick Stewart when they made Star Trek 7 (The Search for Lycra?) together. :heehee:Yep...he sure did. And I heard the story about Bill Shatner as well.

Do ya suppose that it stops with just da hose?:heehee:

Lawren
09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
I knew a man whose wife told me that he and their son would wear knee highs under their regular socks to prevent blisters when they were breaking in new hiking boots.

Tina Dixon
09-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I deal with truckers every day, now I have some thing else to talk about:D

lahr
09-19-2006, 08:33 PM
I know many fellow fly fishermen who wear P hose under their waders while fishimg in streams in the early trout season. Standing knee deep in in rushing water can chill you in a few minutes. Also i've heard of deer hunters wearing em....lahr.

DAVIDA
09-19-2006, 09:11 PM
I am in the constuction business and in cold weather I wear hose. If it's really cold,I will also wear a pair of leggings.

Jennaie
09-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Whatever excuse works!. Me, I will admit, they make me feel fem.

ArleneRaquel
09-19-2006, 10:45 PM
It was cold in Chicago today, so I wore my panyhose all day. I will use any excuse to wear them. Pantyhose - - - Don't leave Home without wearing a pair---I rarely do. :love: From Pantyhose Enthusiast Katrina

angelfire
09-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I knew there were alot of people who wore them, but I didn't know the numbers were so high. Jeez. Gives me alot more confidence in buying some (Not that I have a problem buying them already) :tongueout

I just also feel that they are helping the cause, but still kinda hating on CDs. But its a step in the right direction.

Edwina
09-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Many years ago our main newspaper reported that some motorcycle traffic police wore them to keep warm. I remember feeling envious of their excuse.:sad:
Edwina

Blonde
09-20-2006, 06:08 AM
they is also used in horse back riding.... prevents chaifing

Deena
09-20-2006, 06:49 AM
I even had a buddy who wore pantyhose golfing. Right, to keep his legs warm. Never even occurred to me that it was cross dressing. Hmmmm!

Hugs, Deena

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-20-2006, 11:21 AM
I can't beleive on a forum of crossdressers that this info seems like news.

I also can't beleive no one has mentioned this site yet in this thread:

http://www.comfilon.com/

ChristineRenee
09-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I can't beleive on a forum of crossdressers that this info seems like news.

I also can't beleive no one has mentioned this site yet in this thread:

http://www.comfilon.com/Pretty cool Alyssa. I seriously doubt that mainstream society is well aware of this website though, or the public knowledge that men who technically aren't define as crossdressers are wearing pantyhose. I submitted this particular article because I thought it was newsworthy and not an everyday sort of thing that you will see in the media. Obviously, things are changing and this is another example of it.

Thanks for your input Alyssa, and for the link. It is much appreciated here by me, as are all the responses that this thread has gotten so far.:happy:

SherriePall
09-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Ahhh, if everyone is doing it now, what's the fun? I think I'll have to throw all mine away. Gotcha.

Ginger62
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Hello Girls,

After reading all of these threads, I knew that I had found my best excuse!

I'm on my feet all day, and these thigh highs (that I'm still wearing!) make them feel great! That, and knowing that I'm wearing thigh highs ALL DAY!

If you are on your feet alot, get you some thigh highs or pantyhose and see what I mean. I even went to Kohl's this evening and picked up a couple of pairs of Hane Silk Reflections.

The best part of it all: My wife is TOTALLY cool with it all.

Hugs,

Ginger

Missy Anne
09-20-2006, 08:18 PM
If I recall correctly, Joe Namath was doing an advertising bit for a new product they called "Man-T-Hose" or some similar name. Obviously it was pantyhose renamed. I saw him on TV doing an interview about it. Apparently it didn't sell too well because the product disappeared quickly.

Missy Anne

Ronda_B
09-20-2006, 08:31 PM
While in the wilds of Wyoming, we meet a cowboy that came into our trailer and had supper with us. When he took off his boots we all noticed that he was wearing pantyhose, which shocked all the other guys in the trailer. He said that he wears them to stay warm and his wife buys them for him. So the next day we all went into Jackson and guess what we bought... pantyhose. It was a joy for me to see my father, uncle and brothers putting them on and after eight hours out in the cold all their leggs were warm and dry.

ha! go figure.......:heehee:

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-23-2006, 08:06 AM
If I recall correctly, Joe Namath was doing an advertising bit for a new product they called "Man-T-Hose" or some similar name. Obviously it was pantyhose renamed. I saw him on TV doing an interview about it. Apparently it didn't sell too well because the product disappeared quickly.

Missy Anne

Nope. This is the exact commercia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23dBG27gnuU

ShortSkirt
09-23-2006, 09:58 AM
There has also been a rumor that pantyhose is popular with cowboys, to prevent saddle sores. I can't say just how true it is, but it does seem pretty logical....:2c:

That is true and I know from experience. ;)

Wearing jeans riding a horse can cause a lot of friction. Skin against denim and denim against leather. Nylons stop that friction against the skin. Works great.

trannie T
09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
In the winter I wear pantyhose because they're warm and a lot less bulky than thermals.
In the summer I wear pantyhose because I'm a crossdresser.

Diana
09-23-2006, 06:33 PM
I wear 'trouser socks' or some other form of fem socks all the time when wearing regular shoes. However, I just can not get into wearing pantyhose. They come up way too high and they are just too uncomfortable in the crouch. If they were made to accomodate that 'special' area, then maybe. But, other wise, I'll have to stay with knee-hi's, 'stay-ups', and gartered hose..

Diana

ArleneRaquel
09-23-2006, 06:40 PM
I will use any excuse to wear Pantyhose, but I will never drive a truck. I guess I am just an old dame who is afraid of those big things. :love: From Katrina Who Loves Pantyhose.

marika_jaye
09-24-2006, 09:22 AM
I will use any excuse to wear Pantyhose, but I will never drive a truck. I guess I am just an old dame who is afraid of those big things.

Now that's a new twist on the old pantyhose question. LOL!

Katrina, if you ever want to get over your fear of trucks, I'd be happy to bring you along with me to work for a few days (I do drive through the Chicago area very often) and you'll see that they're not so bad afterall. :devil:

Tessa Wire
09-24-2006, 09:34 AM
As a point of fact, that I think most of you know already, and that is that most if not all football players ware pantyhose in the colder months, for the warmth.
That being said, I do the same, but with me it is am all the time every day thing.
I work on my feet 12 hours a day, working a rotating split shift. And I am telling you that after that long on your feet, without waring any, your feet and legs are going to just hate you. But after 12 hours while warring hosery, trust me you will feel the differance, and you to will be warring them.

As always Loves :hugs:

tootall452
09-26-2006, 03:31 PM
All right ladies since this add came out about truckers wearring pantyhose, I stopped at one of the Leggs an Hanes outlet an talked the the lady about pantyhose. I told her about the article an it did supprise her about truckers wearring pantyhose. After that she showed me what might fight me in my size an which ones have better leg support. Their were a few ladies in the store, but it did not bother me after getting a four pack I decided some new panties would go along with the sale. For the last 4 day I my legs do feel some what better, an cooler. I will find some with better leg support an keep on wearring them as I truck down the road.

Deanna2
09-27-2006, 04:05 AM
There's no mystery about guys wearing pantyhose. It's been happening for years. About six years ago my wife and I were on a plane and a TV magazine show came on the video system about guys wearing pantyhose and how widespread it was. It did wonders for me because my wife had to stop thinking I was strange for wearing pantyhose. She knows I'm strange, but now she has other reasons for thinking/knowing so.

BlkNYLONS
09-27-2006, 06:08 AM
I was a ups driver for over 14 years and wearing pantyhose did help my legs feel better after a very long day. Working if San Francisco with almost everything with hills and stairs my job was truly like being on a stairmaster for over eight hours a day. (I was in the best shape of my life back then)

Only complaint I ever had was having to drop my pants in the back of the truck to pull up and smooth out my pantyhose as I hate that feeling of my pantyhose not pulled up smooth from my ankles way to my waist band. Just like wearing seamed stockings they have to be worn perfect!

Jennifer_Ph
09-27-2006, 07:37 AM
That Mike guy in that article sounds really smart. I just wish he'd let me buy more shoes. ;)

caroline_cd_99
09-27-2006, 07:39 AM
When I used to train for and run in marathons, I would wear support pantyhose under my running tights in cold weather. They kept me warm, and gave me some extra support for the last few miles. I would also wear them for a week or so after my long training run or race to help my legs recover.

I now have a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in my left leg, which prevents me from running. The doctor actually told me to wear support hose to help the veins in my legs get blood back to my heart.

Now I have an excuse to keep my legs shaved all year, although I must admit, I hate having a DVT.

LeAnn
09-27-2006, 10:31 AM
My friend once told me that loggers wear nylons too. It makes it easier to get their boots on. Try it some time with your engineer boots.