PDA

View Full Version : Never Again... Aaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhh

privateperks
09-20-2006, 06:54 AM
I just need someplace to shout.

I've been organizing a charity event for tonight. I've done everything possible to promote it. 1800 fliers were distributed, posters were hung, websites and newspapers were contacted. The newspapers declined even to print adds and the posters were nearly all covered over by pricks from a grade F music club promoting wannabe boy bands. But I tried. One of the guys performing is one of the most well known stand up comedians in the country so I thought, hey - surely word will get around.

I found out several things this morning. First, we've sold about 40 tickets in a hall that seats 280. The printer never got around to making the programs and says they'll be ready tomorrow - about a day too late. Then, I find out that SABAM, which is the recording/film/entertainment/organized crime organization here will be taking 270 euros - minimum of the ticket sales. Which at this point means half of the ticket sales. Which leaves about 200 euros for the charity BEFORE taxes.

No wonder there is NEVER anything to do here in this town. You try to do something fun and for charity - and what do you get? crapped on.

It's not like the charity is going to care, they're running on a shoe string budget anyways. But, this does mean that finding sponsors to do it again next year is going to be next to impossible.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

And I havent' memorized my set either.

Why doesn't someone just drop a house on my head?

swiss_susan
09-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Well good for you for trying to something good and productive. It sucks you are not getting the results you hoped for, but keep trying anyway, what your trying to do is a good thing.

And let us know how it works out in the end.

gerdaberlin
09-20-2006, 08:36 AM
get back to the printer and sue him for 280-40 tickets IMV. but keep going anyway, your country NEEDS comedians just as any other small country in EU (if i'm not mistaken)

Joy Carter
09-20-2006, 08:37 AM
First I've heard Hun otherwise I'd make the scene if you were near by. But do let the show go on maybe word of mount and a reliable printer will make a success of it next time. As they say in show business for luck "Break A Leg":D

privateperks
09-21-2006, 04:29 AM
There were some kinks to work out for next year. But we have decided to try and make it an annual event regardless and pray the comedians will come back and the sponsors as well. Also - we're definitely switching printers. Thanks for the encouragement ladies.

:o

Chelsea
09-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Just a thought but maybe you are looking at this the wrong way? Putting on something and depending on ticket sales is not good buisness. I would much rather phone around and get companies to sponser the gig and make it free to the public = Bums on sets + a known income.
Luv Chelsea.

privateperks
09-22-2006, 09:22 AM
We looked at that. But the thing is, unless you're a government associated charity here in Waffleland - you can't do that. And so no one does.

CaptLex
09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
There were some kinks to work out for next year. But we have decided to try and make it an annual event regardless and pray the comedians will come back and the sponsors as well. Also - we're definitely switching printers. Thanks for the encouragement ladies.

:o
Glad you're going to give it another try - it's definitely a worthwhile effort. I hope things turn out better next year. Good luck. :thumbsup: