PDA

View Full Version : Disruptive

noname
09-21-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm sure most of us who go out, get an occational stare and what not. While I was out the other day, I was in guy mode with sandels so my painted toes showed. Strangely enough an employee of this food chain decided to make some comments to me. (Actually a couple) While women have made their giggles and the like, so far it's only men who have outright confronted me. Or is it just me. But it led me to ask, why is something as simple as paint on my toes so disruptive. Is the general public that simple minded, seems to me they are over all sheep.

As to what he said, he initially said they looked cute on me. I said, thanks. Strangely enough the tone did not come across as a compliment. I really felt awkward. He studdered for a second and said, ' I guess you could say you wear it well ' Strange it was.

Kate Simmons
09-21-2006, 05:57 AM
Usually I just consider the source and ignore such morons. If they persist, I tell them we can go outside to settle it. Usually that shuts them up but I'm ready if someone ever does accept my challenge.:happy: Ericka Kay

Sedona
09-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Maybe the guy is an in the closet CDer who was nervous as all get out, but wanted to say something, and she was just a jerk. Nah, they were probably both jerks.

Best,

ChristineRenee
09-21-2006, 06:15 AM
You tell him with a big smile on your face..."Hey thanks for the compliment"...and then go about your business. If he was truly being sincere with you, then you've acknowledged that with your response, and if he was just trying to yank your chain to try to embarrass you, it also lets him know that he didn't succeed.;)

Teresa Amina
09-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Is the general public that simple minded, seems to me they are over all sheep

Yes, they are.

Marla S
09-21-2006, 06:50 AM
But it led me to ask, why is something as simple as paint on my toes so disruptive. Is the general public that simple minded, seems to me they are over all sheep.

Yes general public is that simple minded and worse. A lot of prejudices and biases are only covered by a thin layer of "political correctness".
A man that is offending simply shows the disrespect for "being different" in general and womanhood in special.
People in general enjoy it to boost themselves by disrespecting others or mocking them.

Angie G
09-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Maybe he was being nice or maybe not I think if one venturous to go out showing painted toes some one will sooner or later be a jerk some people suck, :hugs:
Angie

Kahlan51
09-21-2006, 07:02 AM
The sheep are insecure the best thing to do is not be one of them. Dressing and being out there has opened my eyes to some of the ways that I thought about people and my treatment of anyone who is a little different has changed radically. I celebrate my new self daily. Love Kahlan

Karren H
09-21-2006, 07:07 AM
that sound awfully complamentary to me but as you said the tone wasn't.. I would have given him a big hug. Lol. And asked him if he wanted to know the brand and color of the polish!! :).

I've never been confronted in any mode.. But there are those "looks" for sure!! But then again in usually full dressed..and mainly I get smiles for people...don't know if they read me or not but I guess since I'm usually smiling that they return likewise...

Guess its the mixed mode thing more than anything. Probably messes some people up...while others could care less...

Maybe he was envious that he couldn't be as open....

Love Karren

Stephenie S
09-21-2006, 07:11 AM
I agree with Christine here. Don't always asume the worst. A big smile and a "thank you!" goes a long way to acknowledge a compliment or difuse an insult.

I get comments like, "nice purse" sometimes and if I took offense everytime it happened I would be battered and bloody. Accept it as a compliment and go on your way.

You know, "smile and act nice".

Lovies,
Stephenie

Sheila
09-21-2006, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=Sedona;570355]Maybe the guy is an in the closet CDer who was nervous
QUOTE]
Actually that was my initial reaction, maybe he was just phased that you had the guts to do it and was envious, -------- just a thought:D
Jess(SO)

Lawren
09-21-2006, 07:50 AM
It seems to me that this guy was genuinely trying to give you a compliment but was unsure how to do it. It could be that it was the environment that you were in or maybe he is/was a CD and/or admirer. He may have been trying to hint that he would like to say more but not willing to do it in such an open public place. Do you go to this place regular or was it a one time stop? If you do, you may encounter him again more details may come to light.

uknowhoo
09-21-2006, 08:13 AM
My guess is he was prolly just an average non-CD guy. He was open-minded enough to attempt a compliment, but awkward enough that he did so ineptly. I thinkj you can safely chalk that one up in the compliment column. :)

julie w
09-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I think you get more comments being male with painted nails than if you
were full femme , I think it would confuse people why a man would paint his nails , when in full femme they are more careful as you just may be a gg.
So if you are going to walk around as a man with sandels and painted nails
you have to deal with the looks and comments

noname
09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
So if you are going to walk around as a man with sandels and painted nails
you have to deal with the looks and comments

Because we all know that genetics will determine what colors and style we like. :rolleyes: Reminds me of an ad I got in the mail for some sporting goods store. They got my name from somewhere, yet they made the assumption that because I'm male I like sports, when it couldn't be further from the truth.