PDA

View Full Version : A Sally Ann Life Moment. What would you do??

Ranee Daze
09-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Today at the Sally Ann (Canadian for Salvation Army Store) as I picked out this very sexy vinyl skirt, I witnessed a life moment which I think would provoke some discussion around here.
A man was shopping with his six-year old son, who had discovered a frilly yellow girls' party dress, the perfect thing for a girls' birthday party. He was going around to staff and customers showing the dress pressed up against himself and pretending to dance with it. He was also begging, begging, begging, for everyone to hear in a pretty busy store, that Daddy buy it for me and let me try it on in the change room (no pun intended) etc. His eyes were wild with delight and desire. His dad's eyes were full of worry, regret, embarassment and a small dose of anger. Imagine, your son in full gender disphoric display in public! Of course he tried to quietly set his son straight (no pun intended). Eventually the boy pulled the pretty little thing over his street clothes (perfect fit by the way) and went off to search for matching shoes. The event ended with a disrobing and a couple of slaps to the but, followed by a ginormous tantrum and a hasty exit.
Now what should be done here? If you were the dad, what would your next moves be? Nip it in the bud? Call in a shrink? If that was your dad however many years ago, what would you have had him do for you and your party dress desires way back when?

Karren H
09-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Guess no one ever told him how boys are supposed to dress...yet!! Bet Dad will, all the way home! I was e of a lingerie girl at 8. And by then I knew that boys didn't wear lingerie!! But my Mom kept threatening to make me a frilly white dress for halloween!! I declined out of embaracement....looking back, which she had!!

Love Karren

Annaliese
09-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Today at the Sally Ann (Canadian for Salvation Army Store) as I picked out this very sexy vinyl skirt, I witnessed a life moment which I think would provoke some discussion around here.
A man was shopping with his six-year old son, who had discovered a frilly yellow girls' party dress, the perfect thing for a girls' birthday party. He was going around to staff and customers showing the dress pressed up against himself and pretending to dance with it. He was also begging, begging, begging, for everyone to hear in a pretty busy store, that Daddy buy it for me and let me try it on in the change room (no pun intended) etc. His eyes were wild with delight and desire. His dad's eyes were full of worry, regret, embarassment and a small dose of anger. Imagine, your son in full gender disphoric display in public! Of course he tried to quietly set his son straight (no pun intended). Eventually the boy pulled the pretty little thing over his street clothes (perfect fit by the way) and went off to search for matching shoes. The event ended with a disrobing and a couple of slaps to the but, followed by a ginormous tantrum and a hasty exit.
Now what should be done here? If you were the dad, what would your next moves be? Nip it in the bud? Call in a shrink? If that was your dad however many years ago, what would you have had him do for you and your party dress desires way back when?
I would have want him and my mother to accept me, I learned fast that I never show that side of me. When I was young I played dolls with the neighbor girl then one day my mom was talking to the mother of the girl I played dolls with. The neighbor was telling my mother how cute it was when me and her daugther played dolls. That was the last time I played dolls and the last time I was aloud to play with my little friend at her house.

Karen Johnson
09-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Tough question. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but if my child wanted to try something like that on why bring attention to it by discouraging him? Hard to tell what I'd actually do in that situation. Sitting back and thinking about it and having to react on the spot are two different things.

fionasboots
09-21-2006, 03:58 PM
It's quite possible that the boy in question was simply just wanting to dress up for completely non-CD reasons, kids have good imaginations and aren't held back by pressures of society/culture/etc.

I would agree that it was wrong of his Dad to react that way although I do have a degree of sympathy as any small child that goes on about anything while in a shop can eventually make you snap!

I hope I remember this story when my son wants to do/buy something that maybe I don't agree with but which in itself is of no real harm.

Obviously if he does show any CD tendancies then I should be able to cope with that, though I suspect my wife will be very much against the idea.

Jennaie
09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Today, I think I would have bought it for him. Anyone in the store had anything to say, I would have just replied, "Is this your business?".

Jenna1561
09-21-2006, 04:41 PM
My son was 12 (now 15) when his sister (older by 2 years) was constantly losing clothing. She is quite messy and I didn't think anything of it. However it persisted and my middle son was spending an unusual amount of time in the bathroom.

Me being me, I had suspicions. I found the stash in the bathroom. I took him aside and spoke with him. I told him it was wrong to take his sister's clothes, particularly if he was "staining" them. We talked. I told him he wasn't unique - that many boys did it for a variety of reasons. Talked about gender, sex, masturbation and such.

I bought him a few pair of panties, a pair of tights, 2 tops and a skirt for his stash. No more missing clothes for his sister.

And now 3 years later, he doesn't "borrow" clothes nor does he want any new ones - he doesn't use them anymore.

Time will tell.

Jenna

Shiny
09-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Well "back in the day" if I had done something like that in front of my mom I would have gotten a good talking too, but my dad? There were no "time outs" back in those days, we got the belt!

Julie York
09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
:(

Someone once asked me why Cds like to dress young....really young....

I said, it's cos they never got to go to the party when they were seven.

Awwwwww.

Kristen Kelly
09-21-2006, 05:16 PM
My son was 12 (now 15) when his sister (older by 2 years) was constantly losing clothing. She is quite messy and I didn't think anything of it. However it persisted and my middle son was spending an unusual amount of time in the bathroom.

Me being me, I had suspicions. I found the stash in the bathroom. I took him aside and spoke with him. I told him it was wrong to take his sister's clothes, particularly if he was "staining" them. We talked. I told him he wasn't unique - that many boys did it for a variety of reasons. Talked about gender, sex, masturbation and such.

I bought him a few pair of panties, a pair of tights, 2 tops and a skirt for his stash. No more missing clothes for his sister.

And now 3 years later, he doesn't "borrow" clothes nor does he want any new ones - he doesn't use them anymore.

Time will tell.

Jenna

:thumbsup: Nicely handled, I give you alot of credit.

Lawren
09-21-2006, 06:38 PM
My Dad would probably bought it for me then forced me to wear it to school to prove that "it wasn't proper" for me. (Fully expecting the kids at school to torment me into never doing it again. Which would have taken less than one day).

I would probably have bought it for my son and let him wear it at home. Knowing how quickly kids discard new toys he most likely would have put his frilly dress aside too before too long.

pedalpusher
10-13-2006, 09:25 AM

Time will tell.

Jenna

Maybe I'm wrong, and not sure what the right answer is here, but I feel he will be back. Hard to get out of your head.

Teresa Amina
10-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Poor kid! Now it's going to eat away at him, perhaps, and start the Dream. As a very sensitve child I learned to keep such desires to myself after just a few parental looks of disapproval. For the fathers' point of view I won't presume. My only children are the kitties and I haven't seen either one look longingly at any sort of clothes:D

silkyheels
10-13-2006, 11:02 AM
My mother caught me wearing my a dress belonging to my sister when I was about 10, and I think she's known my secret ever since. But her involuntary (and completely understandable) laugh at the bizarre scene was enough for me never to tell her the truth.

xx

sarahjan
10-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Today at the Sally Ann (Canadian for Salvation Army Store)

In the British Army we used to call it the Sally Bash