PDA

View Full Version : Going to church

noname
09-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Has anyone gone to church not wearing all guys clothes? If so, what were the responces? I thought of trying it, but i dunno, still a bit uncertain.

Nikki Dee
09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
I guess that depends on your Church doesn't it love.??..and just how femme you intend to be.?
Nikki. x

Butterfly Bill
09-21-2006, 01:39 PM
I was a member of a Unity church for six years, and the only time they ever saw me in trousers was when I was doing building maintenance work on it. I have also been in several Unitarian churches wearing a dress. And the Episcopal church here in town, which provides a space for the local chapter of PFLAG.

See if the church calls itself "welcoming and affirming". This means that they are reaching out to gay and trans people. You might also look for listings in your local gay newspaper.

I have found that you can get away with visiting almost any religious institution en femme at least once, in my case including Temple Square in Salt Lake City, and Oral Roberts University in Tulsa. It's when you start showing up regularly that the minister might be calling you into the office for a little chat.

Wire Road
09-21-2006, 02:04 PM
IMHO, you should definitely not crossdress at church. one should at least try to be respectful of others and not create a disturbance at a place of worship.

noname
09-21-2006, 03:07 PM
IMHO, you should definitely not crossdress at church. one should at least try to be respectful of others and not create a disturbance at a place of worship.

Perhaps your right, women should not wear pants and be respectful of me and church.

- needed to be said.

Julie York
09-21-2006, 04:42 PM
£100 to the first person to go to a mosque en femme.

:D

(yes yes I know. It's a double joke...Do keep up Bond)

vbcdgrl
09-21-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm a regular church goer. Would NEVER wear any article of women's clothing to church. Lot's of reasons.

Vikki

Kate Simmons
09-21-2006, 05:39 PM
A couple of times but it was a GLBT Church, so no one batted an eye lash. They even had a drag show lat yeat to raise money which I performed in. :happy: Ericka Kay

CharleneCD
09-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I think the answer is simple. If you are just doing it to get a reaction, Then dont do it. Thats definitely showing a lack of respect.

Jodi
09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
I think that 99% of my dress pants are femme in origin, androgynous style, but femme. All of my sweaters, and turtle necks are femme attire. My socks are femme attire. Most of my casual shoes are femme. Have I gone to church dressed in some femme attire? The answer is yes. If I don't, the alternative is going nude.

Jodi

Joy Carter
09-21-2006, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=Julie York;570934]£100 to the first person to go to a mosque en femme.

He would be declared the devil incarnate and be beaten to death :devil:

flatlander_48
09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I was a member of a Unity church for six years, and the only time they ever saw me in trousers was when I was doing building maintenance work on it. I have also been in several Unitarian churches wearing a dress. And the Episcopal church here in town, which provides a space for the local chapter of PFLAG.

See if the church calls itself "welcoming and affirming". This means that they are reaching out to gay and trans people. You might also look for listings in your local gay newspaper.

I have found that you can get away with visiting almost any religious institution en femme at least once, in my case including Temple Square in Salt Lake City, and Oral Roberts University in Tulsa. It's when you start showing up regularly that the minister might be calling you into the office for a little chat.

Or More Light...

GraceUSA
09-21-2006, 10:29 PM
I go to a relaxed but conservative church. The pastor knows I'm trans, we've talked and he's fine with it. I wouldn't show up in church in femme, but as I normally am... mixed gendered.

That means I wear what I'm comfortable presenting myself as to my friends. I present myself to God everyday and I doubt were I buy my clothes is very high on His list. I just wish friends can be the same way.

AmberTG
09-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Grace, you do have a very good point there, God knows who and how I am, he made me this way. It's humans that don't understand, their ability to understand and comprehend all of God's works is very limited, and I believe we're here for a reason, too.
I couldn't go to my wife's church en femme, they'd either throw me out or stone me right there, my father-in-law would be happy to throw the first stone.
Amber

Wire Road
09-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I couldn't go to my wife's church en femme, they'd either throw me out or stone me right there, my father-in-law would be happy to throw the first stone.

maybe God made you the way you are, but he didn't tell you to wear women's clothes to church. if a person can't keep a lid on the cding for one hour a week during church, something is bad wrong

sparks
09-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I wonder what Rev. Blackwater would think of a cd in the community? Would marriage be out of the question?

Nope haven't even worn panties under my pants there.

Tessa Wire
09-22-2006, 04:28 PM
My self I have never had the nerv to go to church enfemme, But I really would like to be able to go to a church, and worship, and fellowship, warring what I feel comfertable in, and being able to show my true self.

As always Loves :hugs:

Annaliese
09-22-2006, 04:40 PM
maybe God made you the way you are, but he didn't tell you to wear women's clothes to church. if a person can't keep a lid on the cding for one hour a week during church, something is bad wrong

Yes God did make me the way I am a CD, so god would have no problem with me walking in to his church wearing what ever. It is the others that have the problem with me wearing what ever, and they will be the ones that God has a problem with.
I was over seeing my parents once and went to church in jeans because they were the only thing that I had that were clean and I was look down on. The next time I went I took my church clothes and I was welcome with open arms.

Anna

Jasmine Ellis
09-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Dose A Church Say You Can't Wear A Dress Or Skirt

ColleenCD
09-22-2006, 10:57 PM
GraceUSA,

I agree, God sees us for who we are, not for what we wear. He cares more about us.

Colleen

trannie T
09-22-2006, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=Julie York;570934]£100 to the first person to go to a mosque en femme.

Can I wear my burqa?

trannie T
09-22-2006, 11:16 PM
I doubt if god cares what I wear. If I wind up in hell it will not be because I wore panties. While god is forgiving and tolerant many of his churches are closed minded and judgemental. If you are thinking of going to church en femme choose your church carefully. Unitarian and Metropolitan churches are very tolerant the more conservative churches may be less tolerant. Good luck and may god bless you.

Joanie B
09-22-2006, 11:19 PM
A couple of times but it was a GLBT Church, so no one batted an eye lash. They even had a drag show lat yeat to raise money which I performed in. :happy: Ericka Kay

Hi,
I have also been to an LGBT church, a local MCC one. I almost always go en femme, but they love me no matter how I dress.

On the other hand, I would never go to my sisters mainline church en femme, because they would see it as controversial, and a distraction to their worship.

So I guess it depends on where you go and your motive.

Hope this helps.

hugs,
Joanie

Melanie R
09-22-2006, 11:47 PM
There are some mainstream churches where you can go enfemme and are welcome such as the United Church of Christ churches (UCC). Recently I attended a memorial service for a friend at a 156 year old Methodist church in Houston as Melanie. Both of the ministers of the church gave me a hug and one even remarked that they wished my wife and I would attend services regularly. There were probably over 100 In the Houston TG community at the service. We have several TG groups that meet at this church weekly and monthly.

Four years ago I did attend a Saturday night service dressed as Melanie with my wife at our church. This church is the second largest in the US but has the motto for the Saturday evening service that all are welcome no matter what you are wearing. No one showed me to the door. My wife believes that everyone thought I was her sister.

Hugs,

Melanie

Sally24
09-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Showing up en femme or showing up in drag are two different things. I think if you don't look like a football player (nothing against them though) in a dress, and aren't wearing make-up like you're ready for the bar scene, then it's ok. My wife would like to visit one of the historic churches in Boston for services some time when we're on vacation. I don't think that would be a problem and we'll probably do it some time soon.

This is no different than a woman showing up in a mini-skirt and hooker make-up. Would they show her to the door or give her problems? probably not in most cases. Apparently many, even on this forum, think this is a hobby or recreation that we should "be able to put on hold for an hour a week". In many cases, this is who we are and should not be a problem for other people.

Dress appropriatly, show reverence for what the church stands for, but don't take any c**p from self rightous people who aren't there for gods word, but to socialize.

Sally

Penny
09-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Where then is the transgression? Is it he who wears the dress to church or
he who scorns and shuns the man who wears the dress?

Angie G
09-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Nothing visible :hugs:
Angie

ReginaK
09-24-2006, 11:10 AM
No at my church. If anything was slightly questionable, i'd probably be asked to leave and change clothes. We're of the strict Baptist type: Men in pants, women in dresses and no one better show up otherwise.

AprilMae
09-24-2006, 11:12 AM
The fact that I was IN a Church would be more noteworthy than what I was wearing.

Lotte L
09-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Last time I went to churche is 45 years ago. The Netherkands banned churches for a long time, despite some extreem religous groups. Since the last year more and more people visit churches again. Now they dont have anough reverants and preast anymore.

Love
Lotte

linnea
09-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Charlene's comment applies to a lot of situations, I think. Going to church enfemme seems to me to be fine if you are comfortable with wearing your femme clothes and you aren't going to distract or create a scene. If you distract or create a scene inadvertantly, then you probably should leave as quietly as you can. I would say that the same principle applies in other circumstances. Even though, in many cases, we have the legal right to wear whatever we want, that does not mean that we should do so in all available circumstances.:2c:

I think the answer is simple. If you are just doing it to get a reaction, Then dont do it. Thats definitely showing a lack of respect.

anne71
09-25-2006, 04:34 AM
Yes, Charlene is right. If you go to Church primarily to worship that is fair enough. I have been many times, always to main stream Anglican churches and have never had an adverse reaction, shaken hands with the vicar, chatted with other members of the congregation like you do before and after the service. Perhaps it is my contralto singing voice!

Pamela girl
09-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Just a little different opinion here. I was once in a truckstop tiered and hungry just wanting to relax a little get somthing to eat. There was a preacher there who thought God wanted him to setup and preach to all of us right there. After he was finished I politely ask to speak to him. I told him that none of us would be as rude as that and come into church and disturb his sevice to tell dirty jokes until we were finished giving nobody any choice but to listen and I didn't appreciate him doing the same,
That said we shouldn't go into an organized service and push our hobby on them either. Im sure when the gay/lesbian people go to church it is not to push homosexuality on everyone, however they cannot take it off and leave it at home. Its just repect

AprilMae
09-25-2006, 12:31 PM
My Golden Rule, which sadly seems to be violated more often: Make sure the exercising of your rights does not infringe on others exercising theirs.

Wire Road
09-25-2006, 12:44 PM
That said we shouldn't go into an organized service and push our hobby on them either.
exactly.
the whole 'in your face' position that some seem to want to take is inappropriate. the public, in general, doesn't want to see men wearing women's clothes in church. period.

LouiseCassell
09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
£100 to the first person to go to a mosque en femme.

(yes yes I know. It's a double joke...Do keep up Bond)

That would be very easy to do here :D

LouiseCassell
09-25-2006, 12:53 PM

Not a church goer anymore BUT if I went I would wear whatever I decided to wear when I got up that morning - be it trousers and blouse or skirt and top - if that caused a disturbance at a place of worship then I would say the place of worship was not full of very nice or religious people.

Just out of interest - what is a cassock classed as in the clothes department??

AprilMae
09-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Not a church goer anymore BUT if I went I would wear whatever I decided to wear when I got up that morning - be it trousers and blouse or skirt and top - if that caused a disturbance at a place of worship then I would say the place of worship was not full of very nice or religious people.

Just out of interest - what is a cassock classed as in the clothes department??

Just because people may be disturbed by a man dressed as a woman in church doesn't make them bad people. It is after all, no matter what we may think, not part of the norm.

LouiseCassell
09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Just because people may be disturbed by a man dressed as a woman in church doesn't make them bad people. It is after all, no matter what we may think, not part of the norm.

Speak for yourself - its normal to me, and if they see me as a man then they need to be told just how wrong they are.

The word 'normal' is such an interesting word.

maggie
09-25-2006, 04:13 PM
I think that the propriety of attending a church en femme depends on how good a presentation the individual makes and how accepting the congregation is. I feel that it's a matter of degree, and that the more respectable, respectful, and sincere one looks and acts, the less problem one will have. It probably also helps if you are able to come across convincingly as a woman (even if a transgendered one).

I have gone to two different Unitarian churches on four different occasions, conservatively dressed as Maggie. Both were "welcoming congregations" that provided meeting space for TG support groups that I attended.

On the first occasion I was recognized as being TG (perhaps because I sat with one of the regular members who was also TG). Nevertheless, I was warmly and enthusiastically welcomed by many members of the congregation. Although this was a nice experience, I considered myself a failure for not having "passed."

On the next three occasions I had improved my appearance and was much more "passable." I had extensive interactions with members of both congregations, and if anyone suspected that I wasn't a real woman they certainly didn't let on. So I either "passed" or I was at least presentable enough that nobody cared.

Thinking back on my experiences, I now realize that it would be better in the long run if people in a church accepted and welcomed me while knowing full well that I was TG, rather than if their acceptance was based on the false assumption that I was a genetic female. But at the time I wasn't looking for acceptance as a TG. Rather, I was practicing my acting skills in female impersonation. So my goals were different.

I can only wonder what my experience would have been in an ultra-conservative church.

Maggie

Wire Road
09-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Speak for yourself - its normal to me, and if they see me as a man then they need to be told just how wrong they are.

The word 'normal' is such an interesting word.
there's the attitude I was speaking of earlier. forcing your femme self on others won't get you anywhere.
showing some consideration and respect will usually get you the same.

LouiseCassell
09-25-2006, 05:06 PM
there's the attitude I was speaking of earlier. forcing your femme self on others won't get you anywhere.
showing some consideration and respect will usually get you the same.

I do not 'force' myself on anyone ever - I am me for me only - if people dont like it then its their problem NOT mine. I cant help being me and I am sure as hell not going to keep myself away and hidden for anyone.

joanlynn28
09-25-2006, 08:00 PM
You go to started to go to church all of the time enfemme, but then again I am the passing type and it was a small church near my home. I don't think anyone noticed me I was just another woman parishoner at mass. And I know that the Roman Catholic Church doesn't look highly about my antics, but to me in God's eye it doesn't matter what we wear to church, at least I am going. Clothes are just something that society makes us conform to. Of course now that I am full time I started to attend a GLBT parish and it just feels great that I can attend mass and worship with others that are loving and understanding and not get rejected and shunned by a bunch of hypocritical church goers. It is just wonderful to be me and be accepted for the person that I am.