PDA

View Full Version : How to walk in high heels!

Adrienne Heels
09-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Ladies, the October issue of In Style has a guide to walking in high heels. You girls who have been asking about this may want to pick up a copy.

Page 371 for those of you who may already have a copy.

It is a great magazine for fashion ideas, and only $3.99. I have been buying it every month. Makes me feel so feminine when I buy it and read it.

Karyn

Clare
09-22-2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks Karen. I think i've seen an Aussie version of this mag, but haven't purchased a copy yet. I'm still trying to find the 'right' femme mag amongst the vast offerings on the shelves.

Thanks for the heads up tho - I guess the same articles will be in the local editions soon.

Kate Simmons
09-22-2006, 04:35 AM
This is not any easy thing for anyone. I think, however, CD's have a distinct advantage (!?) by virtue of who we are.It is an art that doesn't come naturally and is acquired. I think the original idea of women wearing heels was to give them a more attractive body to look at. Like anything else though, it's a "trade off" and in return for the attention, you get sore feet and hips. :happy: Ericka Kay

Karren H
09-22-2006, 08:23 AM
That is a great magazine...I need to get Octobers issue!! Thanks

Love Karren

Sophia Rearen
09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
That is a great magazine. Just looked at it yesterday at the doctors office. Unfortunately, I was called on time, so little time to browse. How ironic.

Melinda G
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
After CDing since the age of fourteen, I can walk better in heels than a lot of women I know. I have seen women hobbling along in heels, like it was their first time. And they kick them off at the first opportunity.

Wire Road
09-22-2006, 04:02 PM
After CDing since the age of fourteen, I can walk better in heels than a lot of women I know.
oh pleaseeeeeee

Tessa Wire
09-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I am going to have to get my copy, when I go to the mall tomarrow.

As always Loves :hugs:

Blonde
09-22-2006, 10:28 PM
The funney thing for me, is (well this part isn't funney) I have a bad back, constantly in pain... High heels actually make my back feel better.
You might not believe me, but it's true for some reason. If I wear my pumps or ankle boots all day, I am in less pain by the end of the day...... Go figure.

JeanneF
09-22-2006, 11:39 PM
After CDing since the age of fourteen, I can walk better in heels than a lot of women I know.

Same here. I never had problems learning to walk in heels. It came pretty naturally to me. About the only time I struggle is when I've had one too many Stoli and cranberries. :)

Megan Hartwell
09-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Six stores and have not found a copy yet. Need to look more tomorrow:(

dancer1
09-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Well it has come to my attention that GG have a center of ballance that is it keeps them up right where as men walk leaning forward.
So to pratic walking with your head up high and forget the runway walk, heal toe and the sway will come on its own.
WATCH how women walk, there posture is diferance than ours.
:hugs: Nadeen

Penny
09-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Well it has come to my attention that GG have a center of ballance that is it keeps them up right where as men walk leaning forward.
So to pratic walking with your head up high and forget the runway walk, heal toe and the sway will come on its own.
WATCH how women walk, there posture is diferance than ours.

GG's center of gravity is different. In order for a man to walk in heels, he needs his shoulders back and butt out thus changing the center of gravity.
Above all, the best way to walk in heels is upright!:heehee:

Wenda
09-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the tip, Karen. High heels slim your ankles and define your calf muscles, giving your legs more shape. They also represent vunerability because you can't run very fast in them! When I am waiting someplace, I try to watch how people walk, and the big difference I see between men and women is that most women walk with their knees very close together, sometimes brushing as they walk.
Interesting observation on posture and walking, I lived for eight years in Barbados, and some beach vendors could tell a tourist's nationality by body language. A lot of American men walk leaning a bit forward, some with their head and jaw extended (like a lot of baseball pitchers, just before the pitch). Brits and Germans tend to have very erect posture, often with their head back and their jaw closer to their chest. If you have the opportunity to observe, check it out.

Angie G
09-23-2006, 08:14 AM
I'v pretty much got the walking in heels down good :hugs:
Angie

KarenSusan
09-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Do any of you girls notice a difference between walking in heels on a carpet and a hard floor?

Keely
09-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Well other than hard floors being slippery, not too much different. On carpet you don't get that great sound.

EricaCD
09-23-2006, 12:25 PM
I used to think I managed fine in heels. Then I actually tried wearing them OUT, and covering distances of more than a couple hundred feet. The limitations on my ability to walk comfortably soon became painfully (pun intended) apparent.

eleyna
09-23-2006, 03:52 PM
A part of it is getting the arches of your feet (and the relevant muscles) well adjusted. See http://newagequest.com/HH/highheels.html

Audrey34
09-23-2006, 11:17 PM
For me it's a matter of height. I can walk quite comfortably in 3" heels. After many years of searching I discovered pumps by a company called Pleaser. Found several pairs of pumps in size 14 and I love them! However, I once owned a pair of shoes by Classic Pumps that had a 4" heel and I could not walk in them at all! So for me it's 3" heel height max!
-Audrey

AmberTG
09-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Yes, I also find 3" heels to be my limit. I can walk in them ok, but they hurt my back after a while, shorter heels don't do that to me. I do have some minor back problems, so I'm sure that doesn't help much.

Karen Johnson
09-24-2006, 04:15 AM
My wife has been teaching me to walk in heels, and it does take some practice. However, I often practice the movement even when I'm not wearing heels. Just have to be careful of where and when I practice, especially considering I work in a machine shop.

Felicia
09-24-2006, 04:18 AM
Six stores and have not found a copy yet. Need to look more tomorrow:(

Try the local libary. (HUG) Felicia

older not wiser
09-24-2006, 06:44 AM
The funney thing for me, is (well this part isn't funney) I have a bad back, constantly in pain... High heels actually make my back feel better.
You might not believe me, but it's true for some reason. If I wear my pumps or ankle boots all day, I am in less pain by the end of the day...... Go figure.

I too have a bad back, I gotta' try this!!!!

:love: BonnieAnne

eleyna
09-24-2006, 06:56 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, it has a lot to do with the shape of your foot bones and the muscles around the ankle. These don't change over night. Rather than leaping to try and learn to walk, you should consider starting by learning to stand; i.e. actually spend some time *just* standing in the heels.

Also, stilettos aren't a great way to acclimatise your feet. A solid heel, like a wedge or an espadrille, is a much better way to acclimatise your feet to walking.

Some exercises to help:

1. Do the dishes in your heels, try to spend as long as possible just standing there without moving around a lot.

2. Bare foot, sit down and relax your legs (e.g. on a lazy boy) then slowly extend your feet away from you and back 4-5 times. Relax your ankles for 30s and then repeat a few times. Relax for a few minutes and then walk in your heels for a few minutes before repeating.

3. While sitting barefoot or in flats, rest your feet flat on the floor for a minute, and then draw them back under your body slightly so your lower-leg is at a 15-20 degree angle from vertical with the ankle just starting to come up off the floor. Now raise/lower the heel of your foot (and your knees) slowly. Try to use the muscles of your ankle for this rather than your thighs. Do it 5-6 times and then rest for about 30s. Move your feet a fraction more towards your body and repeat the whole cycle until when you have fully raised your heel you form a vertical line from your toes up to your calves. After you lower your foot, it should naturally "rest" about 1-3in off the ground. It makes you look a bit like you're itching to get out of your seat, but if you leave your feet like that it will help - slowly - accustomizing the tendons to a raised heel posture.

4. Remind yourself that - like it or not - you have feet, not hooves :) 5in heels are never going to be entirely natural, but by strengthening and training your muscles they may become less painful (no guarantees; some of us just too well adapted/dependant on walking with our feet flat :( )

Deenise60
09-24-2006, 07:48 AM
I used to think I managed fine in heels. Then I actually tried wearing them OUT, and covering distances of more than a couple hundred feet. The limitations on my ability to walk comfortably soon became painfully (pun intended) apparent.

Same problem with me too. Couldn't believe how different walking in heels outdoors is as compared to walking with them indoors. Oh well, keep practicing or get lower heels. The heels I wore out are 3 1/2 inches.

Cindylynn
11-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks i picked it up great info.

TeriAnn
11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
I have a lot of back problems especially in the lower back. I bend a twist a lot during the day and it really gets my back to hurting. I come home take a hot shower shave and then slip on my 4 inch hels . They help my back to feel better and by the time I get ready for bed the pain is gone.

Melinda G
11-15-2006, 11:40 PM
I buy heels I can actually walk in, and avoid the 6 inch fetish heels. I buy heels from Penneys, Sears, Zappos, Payless, etc. That is, heels that real women buy, and walk in. I wear mid or high heels around the house almost every day, while I'm having breakfast and a cup or two of coffee, just to keep my feet in shape and accustomed to walking in heels.
On Halloween, I went out walking, three different times, in three different outfits, over the course of the afternoon, and evening. I walked over three miles, in three different pairs of heels, all 2 3/4 or 3 inch. Feet were a little sore the next day, but no problems walking in them.

kerrianna
11-15-2006, 11:50 PM

Yes we do, with our knuckles scraping the ground :roflmao:

Courtney A Anderson
11-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Best way to get used to walking in high heels is on a treadmill at home.
start slow then work your way up.:2c:

sharon2
11-16-2006, 01:08 AM
i dont have a problem walking around the house in 4" heels i find the stappy
ones the best as they hold my foot firmer.if i go out to the shops i wear 2"
heels,but i cant walk long distances in them.

tanya3
11-16-2006, 05:19 AM
idon't find it that hard to walk iin heels although it did take some practice at first .i like 3" or 4" heels the best . i had my wife watch me walk and she said i need to keep my legs closer and stand up straighter . then i read apost here some were that said walk while trying to touch your thighs together .it seems to work . i practice this every day at work and home . walking ths way gives my butt that little shake girls have. the hardest thing for me is walking down stairs . as far as outside goes i don't have to much experiance with that yet , but i find if i pay more attention to walking style and were i'm walking it and not looking at my feet i don't trip up as much .