PDA

View Full Version : Because you have the right to

noname
09-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Does anyone feel the need to wear womens clothes because they feel they have a right to. I was just browsing the net and reading up on capris and gouchos (sp?) pants. I learned that both were origonally worn by men. I guess what I'm saying is sometimes I look at pants style that are supposedly for women only and I think to myself, what a load of ^*&^*&^%(. It makes me want to buy a pair and wear it. I guess I feel like I'm being treated like a second class citizen. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

** Edit, part of post removed, will make it a separte thread **

Lisa Golightly
09-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Can't say I do... I generally look at things and go 'oooo that's pretty... I'd look good in that'. And now I'm off on a mission to find four pairs of shoes to match four evening gowns for the Christmas party season... C'mon Mr Visa... stop trembling... you know I deserve these shoes :)

noname
09-22-2006, 02:07 AM
Can't say I do... I generally look at things and go 'oooo that's preety... I'd look good in that'. And now I'm off on a mission to find four pairs of shoes to match four evening gowns for the Christmas party season... C'mon Mr Visa, stop trembling :)

Don't get me wrong, I definately have that to.

Charleen
09-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Nope, not a "right" to, just a Want to. Just more comfy all around. Love and xxxx, Lily

Tessa Wire
09-22-2006, 05:51 AM
Not really, I ware them because I want to and I really like them. Not to mention that some of them really look great on me.

As always Loves :hugs:

Sophia Rearen
09-22-2006, 08:08 AM
I want to wear them. I have a right to wear them where I please.

Lawren
09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I think I have to rewrite that one a bit.

It's my body and I have the right to dress it however I please.

AmberTG
09-22-2006, 09:15 AM
What Lawren said!

CaptLex
09-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Well, I don't remember gauchos and capris being mentioned in the Constitution . . . but there is that bit about "the pursuit of happiness". If it makes you happy and you're not hurting anyone, then I'd say you have the right to wear it. :thumbsup:

Karren H
09-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Nahhh... Because I like to wear them!! I have the right to wear what ever I want.....but you don't see me wearing a clown outfit or even female jeans!!! Ok maybe a cute girl clown outfit... Lol. But it doesn't matter to me if its my right or not...I like what I like..

Love Karren

Roberta Lynn
09-22-2006, 10:39 AM
There are members of this forum that wear what they want when the want.
They can do this because they have overcome the Criticizing Ridiculing Angry People out there

If you frustration overcomes you ability to deal with the CRAP out there then you'll be able to wear what you want.

Should we have to deal with the CRAP out there? Is it 'right'? is it 'fair'? No! But it's life, if we can't change it, we have to deal with it.

pinkshelly
09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
what Roberta said.
Huggs, Shelly.

GG Vanya
09-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, I don't remember gauchos and capris being mentioned in the Constitution . . . but there is that bit about "the pursuit of happiness". If it makes you happy and you're not hurting anyone, then I'd say you have the right to wear it. :thumbsup:

Capris were probably known as knee breeches back then. Can't remember the name of that golfer (he died in a plane crash) who wore them but dang he looked GREAT in 'em!

GG Vanya
09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Does anyone feel the need to wear womens clothes because they feel they have a right to. I was just browsing the net and reading up on capris and gouchos (sp?) pants. I learned that both were origonally worn by men. I guess what I'm saying is sometimes I look at pants style that are supposedly for women only and I think to myself, what a load of ^*&^*&^%(. It makes me want to buy a pair and wear it. I guess I feel like I'm being treated like a second class citizen. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

** Edit, part of post removed, will make it a separte thread **

I'll say this again: I'm all for "rights". However, my rights (and the rights of anyone else) end precisely at the point in which they violate/infringe on the rights of another.

Example: Freedom of speech. Yep, you can say pretty much anything you choose to, but I don't "have" to furnish you with the platform on which to say it. I.E. You can call me a blitering idiot any time you wish, but you can NOT stand in MY yard to say it. :D

Example 2: You have the right to play music just as loud as you damn well please, to the point of blowing out your ear drums. You do NOT have the right to play it so loud that I am forced to listen to it in the sanctity of my home a block away as well.

I also said before: The quote "no man is an island" is never more true than it is with crossdressers. Everything you feel you have a "right" to do affects your girlfriend, wife, children, parents, etc.

Sure, you have the "right" to dress as you please within the laws of decency, just be prepared for those who love you to exercise their right to accept or not accept it, as well.

The only thing stopping CD's from going mainstream is the realization that while they have the right to do so, they are not prepared to accept the rights of others.

Nigella
09-22-2006, 02:06 PM
I want to wear them. I have a right to wear them where I please.

:iagree:

Joy Carter
09-22-2006, 06:02 PM
The only thing stopping CD's from going mainstream is the realization that while they have the right to do so, they are not prepared to accept the rights of others.

I'm sorry Vanya please explaine +? Is it the rights of the family and friends +?

GG Vanya
09-22-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry Vanya please explaine +? Is it the rights of the family and friends +?

I also said before: The quote "no man is an island" is never more true than it is with crossdressers. Everything you feel you have a "right" to do affects your girlfriend, wife, children, parents, etc.

Sure, you have the "right" to dress as you please within the laws of decency, just be prepared for those who love you to exercise their right to accept or not accept it, as well.

This is what I meant~makes more sense when you include the comments above it, no? :happy:

And it could also include the rights of John/Jane Q. Public. They have the right to voice their opinions too yanno.:D

susancheerleader
09-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Frankly ALLOT, if not MOST of womens clothing originates from mens style.
Skirts, for example were worn by men. Not women. Tights too, Leotards too. (Only that I know) So it doesn't surprise me that capris and gauchos too are a hand off from mens fashion.

My only question is obvious.

When did (do) these fashions become only for women and not men?

Annie(ozcd)
09-22-2006, 07:59 PM
The old story - A woman who wears men's clothes is OK but a man who wears women's clothes is queer.

GG Vanya
09-22-2006, 08:10 PM
The old story - A woman who wears men's clothes is OK but a man who wears women's clothes is queer.

I think you'll find there are many supportive SO's here who beg to differ with you on that comment. I'm the first one.

Annie(ozcd)
09-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Great to hear - oh and I see women are wearing boy leg panties - Hmmm is that crossdressing too? LOL

Tricia_cd
09-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I look at the sales flyers at the house ALL the time, and think the same....Ooooh....they are NICE.....
I used to have what was called "deck pants" back in my early years.....now they would be "capris"...
Alas, it would not be a good thing to wear them now, as I am still not "out".
Glad I found this site, and happy to be a part of it.

Cheers everyone,

Tricia

Lissa Stevens
09-22-2006, 08:37 PM

I agree with most of what Vanya says but the rights of others do not include ridiculing, degrading, attacking or slandering cross dressers. The right of free speech does not mean you have the right to hurt others. You can state an opinion on a subject without hurting the subjects adherents.

GG Vanya
09-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Annie,

I see you're new to the forum. Look for the thread named "double standard" or something to that affect, and you'll see this topic has been discussed over and over ad nauseum.

When women wear clothing that males "deem" to be theirs, it's only crossdressing if they are trying to "appear" male.

For the record, all the boy leg panties I own have tons of lace on 'em. Do the guys' version have that also? :D

Melanie R
09-23-2006, 12:00 AM
This morning three of us gals including two CD's and one TS met with the Marketing of a Hilton Hotel in Houston to finalize arragements for our 14th annual TG Unity Banquet and weekend to be held April, 2007. As always the three of us were enfemme for the meeting. In 2007 we will have used this hotel for our event for six years. One issue in the past was the use of rest rooms. Previously until this year they designated a unisex restroom. This year and for 2007 and thereafter we were told that if we are dressed and presenting as women we have the right to use the women's restroom in their hotel. In 2006 and again in 2007 we will be able to use any woman's restroom in the hotel. This past April when we held the event in the hotel there was a large Baptist couples group also meeting at the hotel. We had some great coversations in the restrooms with many of the women from this group and hopefully in the end educated many of them about our TG community. Yes, change is coming - at least in Houston.

Hugs,

Melanie

noname
09-23-2006, 02:48 AM
I think homophobia is the main reason clothing styles get turned into womens fashion. Women see something they like and start to wear it. The men in turn back away from the fashion as they don't want to be considered gay or unmanly. Just a guess.

I agree wtih you Vanya. While one has the right to wear what they want, others have the right not be around or associated with you. In turn, they do not have the right to harrasse you.

Lisa Golightly
09-23-2006, 03:05 AM
I think homophobia is the main reason clothing styles get turned into womens fashion. Women see something they like and start to wear it. The men in turn back away from the fashion as they don't want to be considered gay or unmanly. Just a guess.

Fashion is a funny old game. Some joker comes up with a mad idea and then has to make it popular. The way to do this is to smooch some vaccuous celebrity into wearing what everyone laughed at on the cat walk. When said celebrity is laughed at in the mainstream press, one magazine, usually a bastion of style will fawn and paw said celebrity as a favour to the designer probably in the hope of an exclusive promotion deal. Women read these magazines and see 'hot' celeb dressed as prat and think... "ooooo I wonder what my Dave would look like in one of them". She leaves the magazine open on the page and Dave sees it and thinks "big ponce".

Now if all has gone to plan some cutting edge couple with grand ideas have joined the bandwagon. On an evening out Dave and partner meet their 'cool' friends and 'he' is wearing the 'mad' outfit. Dave then feels insecure as he was not brave enough to be cutting edge. So he becomes second wave adopter, buying from the highstreet a toned down version. Mrs Dave is pleased, and as the numbers increase the supermarkets stock $6 versions of the outfit. Now it is too mainstream and the designer goes the opposite way and the cycle starts again.

Having lived around plenty of couples I'd say the major influence on how you dress is your significant other. Being single I have never been influenced by anything other than my own sense of what is art. The clothes I wear are chosen for their intrinsic artistic beauty. It seems most of society wears what they've been told is right to wear.