PDA

View Full Version : Couciling, support groups

noname
09-22-2006, 02:25 AM
I've been thinking it might be good for me to talk to someone about my issues face to face. I've given some thought to attending a support group or going to counciling. What are your thoughts? When does one need counciling? What are the pros and cons of a support group? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks

GypsyKaren
09-22-2006, 02:41 AM
I think both are a good idea. Counseling is good in that it gets you to talking, it helps you to find the answers yourself. Support groups help because you can share with others who are going through the same thing, plus you get to make new friends.

Karen

CaptLex
09-22-2006, 09:39 AM
:yt: What Karen said! :thumbsup:

I knew it was time to get outside help when my friends could not longer help and advise me - no matter how well-meaning. I went into both one-on-one therapy and a support group kicking and screaming, but in the end I'm happy I did. They've both really helped a lot and I've come a long way in a short time. I hope you find the same. :happy:

Tree GG
09-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Counseling is good to help sort out the static.

Jeanette TS
09-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I would say counciling is very good to have. I have had it from worK, i work for a local council and the O P H unit has been fab for me. There are some sessions i just bitch about everyone then there are some that i tell them how i feel if up or down. I also go out in Manchester in the village i must say i am well known there and have a lot of girl friends who are all in diffrent stages of Transitioning. We all talk and say how we feel and help each other as some know more than others.
If it is there for you take it.

It dose work take care.

Jeanete

noname
09-23-2006, 05:32 PM
So how exactly does one find a qualifed councilor who deals with these issues?

Nigella
09-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Again I may be a rare breed here. From the outset of my being TG, I have never felt the need for councelling. Each problem that has come up has been dealt with in a way that suits me and has been resolved so that I am comfortable with the end result.

When Sandra was told of my past time, each problem was discussed and agreed on before we moved on. We both had to agree, and at times I even gave Sandra the reins, but even then neither of us saw the need for councelling.

What we both did do was seek out forums like this one to get Sandra more information on TGism, but mainly to show she was not alone.

I am able to accept the fact I am a man who likes to wear what society calls "female" clothing, I am comfortable in doing what I do.

The best part of being comfortable though is being able to ignore those whose ignorance of our issues shows in their deeds and words.

melisa6
09-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I think Support groups are a good idea i get a lot more out of them than counceling.

Joy Carter
09-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Counseling ends up in your medical records Hun.:2c:

Karen Johnson
09-24-2006, 03:28 AM
I don't know about counseling per se, but talking openly about my stuff has been quite helpful. For so many years I'd dare not speak openly of the fem side of me. I searched for good material about the whys and wherefores of crossdressing, but there just wasn't much out there.
This website is great in that it let's you safely share your concerns with those who have been there. It is good to know that you are not alone with this.
Good luck and if you get it all sorted out write a book because you'll be way ahead of the rest of us.

CaptLex
09-24-2006, 11:47 AM
So how exactly does one find a qualifed councilor who deals with these issues?
I don't know where you live, so I don't know what's available in your area. If there is a local LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisxexual Transgender) center or clinic in your community, they may have a list of resources for your area. I got a list of gender therapists from the local LGBT clinic here, circled the names of the ones that take my insurance and started calling. If there is a way for you to get referrals for your area, that would be the best place to start. Good luck.

Kieron Andrew
09-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I also go out in Manchester in the village i thought i recognised you

joanlynn28
09-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Both counseling and support groups are a great start. For me there is just so much info that you can get from books, the internet, and so forth. If you transgender feelings are true the only way to really find out about them is to talk face to face with someone else in the same position. The saying goes and still holds true that it takes one to know one. I have made so much progress with my life since I came out of the closet and started to interact with others in the transgender community. Plus you will make new friends and be able to express youself openly with others without the fear of being rediculed or put down by others who don't understand how it is to be like us. Hope that you are able to find these resources in your community or are able to find them nearby.:2c:

Jeanette TS
09-24-2006, 01:09 PM
i thought i recognised you
So hi, nice to see you again you can say I am like a bad penny I keep coming back.

Lov Jeanette :tongueout