PDA

View Full Version : On Shopping

fran46
09-22-2006, 11:46 AM
There's so much talk about shopping, and building up the courage to actually do it, that I decided to post something I wrote several years ago for another site. Hope it's helpful. Here goes...

You're frustrated with buying women's clothes by mail order, only to be surprised at the drape of the fabric or that the color isn't precisely the shade pictured in the catalog. You're weary of purchasing an item in a store, under the pretense that it's for your wife or girlfriend, then discovering later that you needed a size 14, not a 12.

You want to shop like a woman. You want to experience the thrill of the hunt for the perfect cap-sleeve blouse, the camaraderie you've seen between female sales clerks and their customers, even the satisfying exhaustion of a day in which you tried on more outfits than you can count.

Also, you want your clothes to fit.

I've done that kind of shopping, and you can, too.

In patronizing several dozen women's stores in recent years, I've been uniformly treated with respect and dignity. I've overcome my fear that sirens would sound if I asked to try on a bra in Victoria's Secret, heard excellent advice by saleswomen on everything from hem lengths to tieing scarves, and, best of all, made good decisions about spending my money and building my wardrbobe.

For what it's worth, here's what I've learned:

No. 1. Do not call in advance. This one is counterintuitive. Phoning the store to ask if people there are comfortable with a man shopping for women's clothes seems like the sensitive and considerate way to pave the road for a successful outing. Unfortunately, the first image to flash into the mind of the clerk or assistant manager who answers your call is that of an extravagant drag queen in purple hot pants and an orange boa sashaying flamboyantly into her shop. My recommendation: Just go to the store.

No. 2. Avoid department stores. I've found that the women's wear staffs there are generally stodgier and definitely chillier to male customers than sales associates in such specialty shops as Chico's, Express and Lerner New York. A department-store saleswoman is less likely to engage with you on a human level, and when you ask to try something on the chances are that she will condescendingly point you toward the fitting rooms in the men's department, two floors up.

No. 3. Forget trying to pass, unless you're so terrific that your mother wouldn't recognize you in a jumper. The trick to a great shopping experience is carrying yourself with both confidence and discretion. You want to be just another customer. You want to blend in. Women do not dress to the nines to shop, anyway. They spend too much time on their feet and take off their clothes too often to make heels and back-zippered dresses practical. If, like me, you're not passable, skip the wig and mascara, and opt for the androgynous look, in, say, nicely cut women's slacks, a sweater twinset, and flats.

No. 4. Take your time. Women shop carefully, choosily. Yes, you're nervous, but resist the urge to grab the first acceptable black skirt, flip out your Mastercard and beat a retreat. Your goal here is to establish with the staff that you are a serious and discriminating shopper and that you're comfortable with what you're doing and what you are. That takes at least 10 minutes of perusing all the various merchandise. This bears repeating: Blend in.

No. 5. Remember that the odds are on your side. Of the last 26 occasions when I've shopped for women's clothing and asked to try something on before buying it, I've been turned down just once. Predictably enough, that was in a department store.

No. 6. Connect with a saleswoman. When one approaches you, and one will because most earn commissions on their sales, smile, give her your name, and make a point to remember hers. Tell her what you're looking for. Seek her counsel. Establish a bond. Use her name. Talk about the clothes. If you've already identified several things you want to consider purchasing, ask if she will start a fitting room for you. In shoptalk, that means she will begin to hang those items on the door of a changing room.

No. 7. Don't be spooked by the idea of trying on a nightgown you might, or might not, purchase. Half the adults in the United States sample women's clothes by putting them on in stores every year, and the fitting rooms in most afford all the privacy you'll want. Virtually every one that I've seen has hooks for your clothes and purse, as well as a full-length mirror and a bench or chair. Louvered doors seem standard, too. I don't know why. At some point, the saleswoman will stop by and inquire, through those louvers, "How are you doing?" That's her way of asking if you need a larger or smaller size, perhaps a different color. You might even dare to step out for a moment to get her opinion on the rust-toned leggings.

No. 8. Buy something. This is an absolute must. After taking advantage of the saleswoman's time and generosity, and establishing a connection with her, you must make a purchase. If you don't, she and her colleagues are apt to conclude you were only trying on clothes for a cheap thrill, and that will have a negative impact on their reaction to the next crossdresser who comes through their door. Any purchase will suffice, even if it's just a couple of $10 tailored tee shirts. Ideally, of course, you found a little black dress that is just the thing.

No. 9. Savor the moment. You've jumped a big hurdle, and now you understand that you can do it again. Just last weekend, I made a wonderful 90-minute visit to a Talbots store, where a friendly 30ish saleswoman named Amy was tactfully enthusiastic about helping me. I ended up buying an ankle-length knit dress, two pairs of shorts, a blue skort, a belt and three tops. Oh, and a leather handbag. As I left the store, I knew that I my purchases had been wise selections and that they would fit. I stepped out into the afternoon sunshine, with my bulging Talbots bag in my hand, and I felt womanly.

Fran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KarenSusan
09-22-2006, 12:13 PM
That is wonderful advice, Fran. Thank You.:love:

Sophia Rearen
09-22-2006, 01:08 PM
#10 Most importantly. Don't forget to breathe. A dead cd shopper, no one wants that in their store.
Thanks Fran.

linnea
09-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Thank you, Fran. Your advice and comments match very well my limited but mostly successful and satisfying experience with shopping. As a matter of fact, last Sunday afternoon, I went shopping at a Dress Barn shop (the name doesn't do justice to the selection and service, both of which are very good). I sorted through many racks of clothes, selected a couple of outfits that I thought that I might like, used a changing room to try things on, and received just the attention that you mentioned. I loved one of the outfits that I tried on, but I couldn't really afford it right now, so I returned it to its hangers. However, I bought a very pretty scarf (something that I've been needing for quite awhile) and three pairs of stockings that were on sale.

Jodi
09-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Hi Fran, As an experienced shopper for women's clothes, I totally agree with what you said. I could have written the same thing. I have said here on the board over and over--be honest with the SA. Don't make up silly excuses. 99% of the SA's already know that you are shopping for yourself. So, have fun at it. When I am seriously shopping, I have spent up to an hour and a half in a store just as Fran did.

Relax, have fun, and get out shopping.

Jodi

Jasmine Ellis
09-22-2006, 07:26 PM
good for you go out and enjoy yourself shopping

Adrienne Heels
09-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Fran, that is wonderful advice. I do spend a lot of time browsing before I buy, always let the SAs know I am shopping for myself, and in return am treated with respect by the staff, even when in drab.
And I always try to buy something when I am taking up quite a bit of the SA's time. But the stores I frequent know i'll be back, so I don't feel pressured to buy every time. I have also tried to build a relationship with the SA's in The Limited and Nine West, my 2 fav stores, and that makes me feel so much more comfortable when I stop in.

Billijo49504
09-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi Fran, you have real good advice. I have real good service at my favorite Lane Bryant store. If they don't have what I want, in the size I want, they will call one of the other stores in town for me, to see if they have what I want. I get treated very well there. They know me by my male name and I get treated very well. I tell them I didn't come it to look, I came in to buy!!!!BJ

Joy Carter
09-23-2006, 02:10 AM
Didn't call but Emailed one store and they Emailed back twice and offered the store to me after hours. And to make sure I had my foundations with me so things would fit properly. Gee do you think they thought I might be embarrassed +?

JeanneF
09-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Great advice, Fran. In my experience, you're 100% correct. Especially at the mall stores, I've never had a salesgirl give me a hard time. On the contrary, there have been more than a few girls that were really into the idea, and one girl I met while shopping I actually dated for a while.

Even now, although I've been shopping for girl's clothes for a few years, I'm still surprised with how acommodating stores are. The biggest hurdle for me to get over was shoe shopping in stores that I have to ask for assistance (instead of just grabbing the size 11s off the shelf and buying them). The downside of this was that I hate shoes made from man-made materials (i.e. the stuff they sell at Payless), and to get good shoes, I would have to go to the real shoe stores. Nine West, Bakers, Aldo, Steve Madden, even the boutique at Nordstrom...all great places, never had a problem. Plus, the girls that work at stores like Steve Madden tend to be really cute. ;)

Recently, I finally got over the last challenge I had. While shopping for work (boy) clothes at Banana Republic, I found this killer blazer on sale...big sale, like $30 marked down from $150. This was at a different BR than I usually shop at for boy stuff, so I decided screw it, I'll buy it with the other stuff I'm buying. I go to the counter to pay, and there's a guy working. And not the little, effeminate guys you see at a lot of mall stores, but a big, lacrosse-player looking guy. Oh well. My dignity was beaten by my desire to have this blazer. So I go to the counter, buy it, guy clearly could tell it was a girl's blazer. Didn't even blink, he just asked me if I wanted it folded or on a hanger. We made a little small talk (which may have been flirting), and I went on my way.