PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Newbie

Emma_Forbes
09-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi All,

This is probably going to seem like a really dumb series of questions and perhaps I ought to explain why I need to ask.

My knowledge of Halloween and in particular the opoortunities for crossdressing is limited. This is because:

1. I live in the UK where it doesn't seem to have quite the emphasis as in the US.
2. I had a very sheltered fundamentalist Christian upbringing where Halloween was condemned.
3. I have absolutely no idea how to create a good Halloween image. I don't have the clothes or the makeup skills.
4. I am still not sure about Halloween's philosophy and how to make it feel comfortable.
5. I don't know where to go or what to do for Halloween.

So I guess my questions follow these points.

1. Is there a different emphasis in the UK?
2. Is Halloween dodgy? (What do I mean by dodgy - no idea!)
3. How do I create the right image?
4. How do I make it comfortable?
5. Where do I go and what do I do when I get there?

I hope you can point me in the right direction over this.

Thanks

Em

Michelle Ellis
09-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi Emma, I guess I'm no expert but I've been getting ready for halloween myself, my makeup skills are questionable too, but I do a fairly good job, I just take my time and read how to's and tutorials I find on the net with google or ask.

I wasn't ready last year at all, but this year I'm ready to go, I've been buying clothes and makeup and even have a special halloween costume ready to go :p Just buy some neat stuff and go for it!

1. There probably is a different emphasis in the UK, not sure, I'm just a redneck from Oregon.

2. Hmm.... dodgy....

dodgy (adj.) Chiefly British Evasive; shifty.
dodgy (adj.) Chiefly British Unsound, unstable, and unreliable.
dodgy (adj.) Chiefly British So risky as to require very deft handling.

LOL I'd say number 3 for me, and the answer is YES!

3. The right image? LOL You should see my image :p there's no such thing as too freaky for halloween. Sky's the limit.

4. Comfortable? I have no idea... do it over and over maybe, this will be my first year (dressing like this anyhow) so the last thing I expect to feel is comfort! I expect to be filled with a mix of anxiety and excitement the whole nite.

5. Where to go, what to do? Go to your neighbors house, ask for candy of course! :tongueout Actually I might try to find a gay bar as from what I've heard halloween is a big deal in places like that, I'll probably just have a drink (non alcoholic) and go home hehe If, that is, I can find the courage for such a thing LOL

M

MarinaTwelve200
09-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Halloween is more "Tounge in cheek" humor than anything else where we play with things like identity and saterize those spooky things that frighten us. You dont HAVE to be "good" or skillful at makeup and disguise. Indeed mistakes are FUNNY and add to the humor of the festivities.

Halloween evil? I suppose a few isolated "Screwball" sects of Christianity might beleive that, thinking that there are people nieve enough to take the cartoon witches ghosts and fairytale chaaracters as serious "Devil worship", but MOST CHRISTIANS see Halloween a good clean fun where we snub our noses at things of the evil and darkness. Indeed our Methodist Church has some of the best Halloween parties.

Most every culture has a Holliday where people are free to have outrageus fun, become people thst they are not. Carnival, Mardi gras, etc, are two examples===In America HALLOWEEN serves that purpose----Halloween is catching on too in Japan. Hopefully the UK will catch on soon too.

jjjjohanne
09-23-2006, 10:00 PM
So, what is Halloween like in the UK? Do adults dress up normally?