PDA

View Full Version : Combining Femme and Drab look

Jenn2716
09-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Hi there,
I'm sure this topic has been posted before but I wanted to see if anyone had any new opinions.

About a week ago, I posted a thread about my experience of stopping by work after hours to run an errand and then going to the grocery store while wearing women's boots with heels and painted nails. I felt great, but at the same time I felt normal or at least comfortable with my appearnce like this. And my wife was completely ok with this.

So this got me thinking. At this point I feel pretty comfortable with people seeing in femme clothes minus the breast forms and wig. I mean its just me, wearing femme clothes. It's almost as if the realization hit me, "Why should I care what people think. Their thoughts can't hurt me!". So I began thinking to myself, maybe I'll wear women's boots to work on friday (this past friday) and make it a weekly thing. Instead of Jeans friday at work, it will be femme shoes on friday. I work in an office with 4 other guys and while they are not super macho homophobes, they can be a little weirded out by "alternative people" (based on some of the conversations around the office).

So I start getting ready for work this past friday: Men's jeans, t-shirt and low heeled women's boots, very dark red, almost burgandy. So I asked my wife if it looked ok. Well, she let me know very quickly that she didn't think I should wear it to work in front of the guys. I was a little surprised, because she had ok'd me going to the grocery store the previous week, where I walked around in women's boots in front of dozens of people. But I didn't say anything just took them off and went to work in men's sneakers instead.

Anyway, later that night. I realized that I had been in a crabby mood all day and my wife had been noticing this. After being very short with each other a couple of times, I finally told her that I was upset that she put the stops to me wearing women's boots that morning. I told her I didn't understand why I could where them out shopping in a crowded store but not in a small office in front of 4 guys. Especially, if I had finally gained the confidence and self-acceptance to go for it. I mean they are MY co-workers. She said that they would definitely notice I was wearing women's boots and that talk would begin circulating throughout the company building and eventually to another company building where she works. She said she can't handle people staring at her and gossiping about the fact that she is married to a crossdresser or a freak who wears women's shoes/boots. She was ok with me going to the grocery store cause there was only a slight chance that someone we knew might be there and see me. If I went to work in femme items then we'd definitely be outed. We argured back and forth about this for about an hour and in the end I agreed not to mix my femme and drab stuff in public.

But I told her I still don't understand why she is ok with somebody finding out about me by chance. But is horrified that I would choose to intentionally expose family or co-workers to my crossdressing tendancies. As long as she loves and supports me (which I know that she does), I really can't understand her fears. I mean I thought that if I ever got to the point where I accpeted who I was as a crossdresser and didn't care what other people thought of me, then I would be so much better off. I am finally ridding myself of being ashamed, only to discover that my wife is nowhere close to letting go of that shame.

Maybe she saved me from making a huge mistake. Maybe I'm just in a really self-absorbed state of cding. Maybe I'll look back at this event in a month or two and shake my head and say "What was I thinking?". Who knows.

All I know is, that right now I feel more ok with who I am than I ever have in the past. I feel that I finally have a balance of my masculine and femme sides, and I just want to represent that with how I dress. If it comes off as a metrosexual man, or a androgynous guy, or a guy in a skirt or a full head to toe crossdresser, then so be it.

I love my wife, so I will let things stand as is. Her support and affection means more to me than anything. I already consider myself lucky to have found her and a part of me wants to kick myself for continuely pushing my cding boundries.

Has anyone out there successfully combined your obviously femme and drab items? Have your family and co-workers hasseled you over it? Am I nuts for even thinking this sort of look is even acceptable?

Rachel Morley
09-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Hi Jenni,

You're not going to like this, but I'm afraid I come down on the side of your wife. Mixing your male and female self is a good thing, blurring the boundaries of gender expression with partial dressing is very liberating, take it from me, I do it all the time.... BUT not at any cost.

I can totally see the difference between going out dressed as a girly guy to the grocery store and going to work dressed like it. You might not worry what your co-workers think of you but, if I understand you correctly, your wife works in a nearby company building so you are going to be effecting her working life too.

My personal take on this is that pushing the envelope at work is not worth the risk invloved as I might compromise my position at work and this might have a knock on effect to my job security. I do actually wear women's clothes to work but you'd never know, because they're very unisex in style. But that's just me. Even if you didn't feel that it would compromise your job, you still have to consider the feelings of your wife. Surely her feelings come first. Why would you knowing want to do something that is going to make the woman you love feel uncomfortable? Is wearing women's boots at work that important especially when you can wear them as much as you like plus a lot more outside of work? :2c: It's ok if you disagree with me.....we're all different.

Robin Leigh
09-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi Jenni,

I congratulate any SO who chooses to join her CDing husband in the closet. We expect that our accepting SOs won't do anything to inadvertantly out us as CD. So if your wife feels that your behaviour could out her as a tranny admirer, then it's only fair to respect her feelings, even if they seem a bit exaggerated at the time.

Anyway, why would you want to dress (even partially) in front of a bunch of boring guys? :D

:hugs:

Robin

PS. I give mixed gender signals, in either mode, but I don't think I could do the androgenous thing as well as you do, Jenni.

Marla S
09-24-2006, 07:17 AM
As long as she loves and supports me (which I know that she does), I really can't understand her fears. I mean I thought that if I ever got to the point where I accpeted who I was as a crossdresser and didn't care what other people thought of me, then I would be so much better off.
I think this is a general misunderstanding. Love doesn't equal aceptance or even respect for being a CD. It is a good and necessary glue to prevent both points of view to drift apart instantaneously. But only for a certain amount of time and tension. This given time has to be used to dig for the reservations and concern of the both of you, in order to get a founded attitude.
Dressing in public, be it partly, automatically means to get kind of a freak-status and easily will cause rumors.
The both of you have to be aware of this (I think your SO is) and have to be willing to stand it (your SO doesn't seem to be). This requires a self-confident attitude towards your dressing based on firm conviction (love only gives time to find this conviction).

Maybe she saved me from making a huge mistake. Maybe I'm just in a really self-absorbed state of cding. Maybe I'll look back at this event in a month or two and shake my head and say "What was I thinking?". Who knows.
Maybe, but maybe the urge will become stronger if totally suppressed and leads to kind of an overreaction. I think it's good to take some time to think about it and not to act based on a gut feeling. Maybe it is not a good idea to start dressing at work. Go to some pub or some other a bit more public places several times (first alone later with your SO) and watch your feelings and the reaction of others (talk about it with your SO). You might see clearer than if it is a good idea to dress at work.

Has anyone out there successfully combined your obviously femme and drab items?
I am doing just that, or a fem look which is close to drab. I have no SO right now which makes it more easy, but I meet my ex and her family quite often dressed this way. I know she still feels a bit uncomfortable with it and probably is quite happy that she isn't seen directly related to it. Though I haven't heard any rumors personally, I am sure there are rumors or at least talking (as always when there is something strange), because my "different dress code" can hardly be ignored.
One is a "freak" at least, with all its consequences.

Because the society is the way it is, I feel like having started a boomerang by dressing in public ( including my social enviroment) that might come back someday and will hit me right in the face. I am aware of it, but I will not be prepared. I hope that I am able to duck early enough though.

RachelDenise
09-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Think of your wife as an editing functon. If a mistake is made she corrects it. It happens in all of our lives outside of CDing, why not inside? :heehee: I think you have to consider your wife's feelings on this one.

Charleen
09-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Except at work where I have to wear colonial clothing, I am either en femme or a combo. I bought womans boots that I wear when I am doing other jobs that don't require me to wear the colonial. You have to look 3 times to tell what they are.("Meridith" from Payless).
I guess the point is that I dress to a degree at work, and am comfortable in the knowlege of what I'm wearring, but am not obvious about it. I even wear womans jeans on the one day that I work in the office, but again, they are not obvious. See where I'm going with this?
Love and xxxx, LIly

Angie G
09-24-2006, 08:31 AM
I'd mix femme with drab to the store but never at work there would be no end to the s--t I'd get :hugs:
Angie

Jakki
09-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi Jenni
It's interesting to read of your dilemma on what is "acceptable" attire for each occasion.

My partner (CD) owns only two pieces of male clothing - she's a musician - a gig shirt, and male dress shoes - for gigs . EVERYTHING else she owns and wares is either completely female or totally gender non-specific. She wears soft, flowing blouses/shirts, and all her jeans are ladies' - who's going to check which way the fly is zippered! Good luck to them if they do!!! All other pants and slacks are "soft" - ie, made of a soft fabric and loose and flowing. She works with very "blokey" band members who rarely comment on her attire; meets with my family members, most of whom do not know she crossdresses, and goes to the shop, businesses, etc all the time, with the occasional second look from a passer-by, but she is being who she is, and feeling right.

I'm in favour of you mixing en femme dress with drab, go slowly and see what works.

Good luck to you Jenni - be comfortable.

Jakki
:hugs:

Kate Simmons
09-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Well. I do this all the time when Ericka (or is it Kay?--confuses me sometimes) makes up but wears guy clothes. Also when Ericka becomes "Eric" and crossdresses as a guy. I've even crossdressed as Richard without a wig or makeup and a full day's beard growth. I dunno, I guess that qualifies me for the "mix and match" look, right?:happy: Ericka Kay

Jenn2716
09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi girls,
Thanks for taking the time to read my overly long post. I really appreciate your input.

For those of you who think I should respect my wife's wishes, please be assured that it is exactly what I'm doing. We talked at length and I have no doubt that she has serious concerns about me semi-cding at work, so I have promised not to wear anything too obvious. All my femme clothes items for work will be cleared by her first. It's only fair, because we work for the same company (different buildings). I've been wearing women's jeans and occasionally unisex shoes with no heel, and I guess that is going to continue.

My wife and I are just on different levels of self-acceptance. I'm 30 years old and I just wanted to let go of the fear of society's opinion and just live how I want to while I'm still kinda young. Obviously my wife is not at that point yet, and although it is unfortunate for me, I won't move forward with this unless she is ready. If she ever gets to that point, I will be even more secure in who I am and be proud to go anywhere wearing anything, femme or drab or mixed. Until then, I'll be content with what I have. Like I said, I know I'm extremely lucky to be in the situation that I am in at the moment. I certainly didn't mean to sound sulky or anything.

Its almost like parachuting I guess. I takes a lot of guts/nerve/courage/whatever to step up to the open door of the airplane and leap out into the void. Well, I had finally worked up enough courage to step to the edge and prepare to jump. It's taken years to get to this point and now I have the self-confidence to go for it. Only the love of my life looks at me from across the plane and says "Please don't do that." At first I'm surprised and disappointed because I am so close to conquering this fear. Then I realize that we are tethered together and that if I leap, she is coming along for the ride. I have my parachute (self-acceptance) but I see that she doesn't have one. And I'm not sure if my chute will carry us both. So I step back from the edge and embrace my wife. Happy to have her with me forever. Maybe we'll have another opportunity to make that leap together, maybe we won't. I just want us both to be happy and safe, no matter what.

Well, that's probably an absurd way of looking at it, but it's just an analogy that flashed into my head.

Anyways, thanks again for reading and caring.

Rachel Morley
09-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Its almost like parachuting I guess......Well, I had finally worked up enough courage to step to the edge and prepare to jump......Then I realize that (my wife and I) are tethered together and that if I leap, she is coming along for the ride. I have my parachute (self-acceptance) but I see that she doesn't have one. And I'm not sure if my chute will carry us both. So I step back from the edge and embrace my wife. Happy to have her with me forever. Maybe we'll have another opportunity to make that leap together, maybe we won't. I just want us both to be happy and safe, no matter what.
Fabulous analogy...great way of looking at it! :clap:

Calliope
09-24-2006, 04:40 PM
My wife and I are just on different levels of self-acceptance. I'm 30 years old and I just wanted to let go of the fear of society's opinion and just live how I want to while I'm still kinda young. Obviously my wife is not at that point yet, and although it is unfortunate for me, I won't move forward with this unless she is ready.

I think it is a wise move to forgo the breastforms and wig - I've always believed the most 'artificial' aspects of CDing is what primarily prompts ridicule. That taken care of, what we now have are fem clothes. Nice clothes, sweet clothes, hey maybe superdupergroovy clothes. So far so good. Just bring it on incrementally - nails one month, eyeblush the next, etc.

Oh, right, your wife. You say, 'I won't move forward with this unless she is ready.' OK - what is her incentive to 'get ready'? What's in it for her? Speaking from experience, I believe once a person hands the control to another (even a loved another), that control is very reluctantly relinquished later. You won't be 'kinda young' forever.

Dig?