PDA

View Full Version : Yellowed toe nails?

pattysue
12-27-2004, 09:07 PM
I have had my toes painted for about a year straight. Less a few days here and there for maybe a total of three weeks. The nails have yellowed in this time. My wife says it's from having polish on them so long. Has anyone else had this happen? How do you fix it or can it be fixed easily? :confused:

Pattysue

KewTnCurvy GG
12-27-2004, 09:14 PM
He he he. Yup, it happens. It's superficial, i.e., very top layer of the nail, so my suggestion is you get a filing block (can buy at place's like Sally's beauty supply) and file the very top layer off. You'll find they look much whiter. Also, use a good protective base coat to try and prevent the yellowing. The darker the polish, generally the worse the yellowing.

hugs
kew

Fallen Angel
12-27-2004, 09:27 PM
I have to agree!!, a sanding block is the best light shades are better and you should let your nails air at least acouple of times a month i did the same thing and also had ridges as well or stair steps in the nails. i went and got my toe nails french tipped a first for me i will let every body know how this works out because im used to reds and black and im having a time ajusting lookking at my toes with no color on them
!

StephanieCD
12-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Yea, I've heard many ggs say they had to go polish free once in a while - on the fingers, too. I've only polished for a couple of hours at a time so I wouldn't know but, hey ;)

LauraB
12-28-2004, 02:03 PM
I have had my toes painted for about a year straight. Less a few days here and there for maybe a total of three weeks. The nails have yellowed in this time. My wife says it's from having polish on them so long. Has anyone else had this happen? How do you fix it or can it be fixed easily? :confused:

Pattysue
I rarely use nail varnish on my toes. Normally only if i am going out with open toed sandles on. (Strappy sandles i do love them ) However with all nail polish toes or otherwise i have made it a point to remove it each night. I learned this from watching my mother as a small child she would always remove it to let her nails breathe. It does have its draw backs one can't have the really fantastic prof nail jobs done at a cost of £ 45 plus if one is going to remove that night.

Love
Laura

MonaSmith
12-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I have to agree with the others about the base coat. I paint my nails, and keep them painted for a week or so, and then when I remove it I give them a day or two plain or sometimes with just clear varnish on them if I am going out somewhere special. It also helps to keep them buffed and shiny. It's like anything, you have to keep on top of them. Fully remove the nail polish regularly and give your nails lots of TLC. It is an effort sometimes but well worth it.

Tamara Croft
12-28-2004, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't suggest taking the top layer off the nail off as it can damage the nail. You can buff a nail to a certain extent like when you are having false nails or nail extensions. Also if you have been doing this for a year it's more than likely a bit deaper than one layer of the nail. I would suggest you grow the nail out which I know can take time, but do you want to risk damaging your nails?? Like the other girls have suggested, always use a base coat to protect your nails and a top coat to protect the polish.

Tamara x

Rachel_740
12-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi Girls,

You've got me worried now :eek: . I've had varnish on my toe nails now for about 6 months with occasional break of long enough to clean them off and repaint them when they get too tatty to touch up any sense.

Still, if I keep them painted the yellowing won't show :rolleyes: .

Rachel

DonnaT
12-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Well, if it is just discoloring due to the polish, you've been given excellent advice.

However, if it is due to a fungus, take and coat the nails in Vick's Vapor Rub, then wrap in plastic (saran wrap) and put a sock on over that, when turning in for the night. A couple weeks and you'll be all better.

DanaJ
12-28-2004, 05:33 PM
I emailed my nail tech with this question, here is what she said:

As for the nails turning yellow, this happens when you use a yellow based color without using a good base coat first. It has nothing to do with wearing polish too long. The chemistry of nails has come so far that all the old wives tales are just that. The polish on the market now has no formaldehyde or tourmaline (not sure of the spelling of either), therefore there is no problem using polish every day for the rest of your (or anyone's) entire life. If there were all these terrible things that happen from using nail products you would see nail techs dropping like flies ;o), and as you well know we don't die we just get a little flaky or maybe we start out that way hummmmm. Who knows, probably the latter.

She also said she would be happy to answer anyone's questions, just send them to me and I will send them to her :)

Hope this helps...

DanaJ

Tamara Croft
12-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Dark polish - red for example - has a very heavy pigment, and unless you wear a base coat can cause yellowing of the nails. I have read of a way to clean up the nails from this discolouration but have not tried it.

Mix 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide with 3 tablespoons baking soda. Apply to nails (underneath and over tops) with a cotton swab. Leave on for 3-5 minutes then rise with warm water. Apply hand lotion.

I have also found this website that may be of some help.

http://www.sallyhansen.com/qa_nail.cfm

Tamara x