PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Read......Books on Dressing? Reviews SVP?

Ranee Daze
09-25-2006, 06:30 PM
I'll start. I'll admit that I have just flitted through two of the three.

I actually bought "Miss Vera's School For Boys Who want to be Girls". A very interesting book for the most part. Some good ideas. I did get the impression that, although Dame Vera has done much to raise the profile of dressers and drag queens, this book isn't alot more than an advertisement for her "academy" with it's unbelieveably high prices.

I can't remember the whole title....something like "The Poor Man's Guide to Crossdressing". A very frank and useful diy guidebook.

Finally, a very frank and honest treatment of the dressing fixation, perhaps a bit negative, but very, very real...."The Man in The Red Velvet Dress". Really well written. Put me off of dressing for months!

Th-Th-Th-Th-That's all for now, folks!

Joyce1702
09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
I have "Art & Illusion: A Guide to Crossdressing" by JoAnn Roberts and "Speaking As a Woman" by Alison Laing.

Joyce

carend_99
09-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I definitely suggest "The Emancipated Crossdresser" by Lacey Leigh. It's an easy ready and gives some great advice!

melissacd
09-25-2006, 08:26 PM
I have now read many but by far the best is "My Husband Betty" and contrary to popular belief I feel that the whole book, not just the first four chapters, are wonderful, well thought out and well written.

My 2 cents

Andrea's Lynne
09-25-2006, 08:28 PM
My wife and I both read "My Husband Wears My Clothes" by Peggy Rudd (I think that's her name). It was an honest view from the wife's point of view, and was helpful to both of us.

ColleenCD
09-25-2006, 11:22 PM
2 good ones, My Husband Betty and My Husband Wears My Clothes. These are great reads for CD's who need to understand why we do what we do, and for their SO's.

Colleen

trannie T
09-26-2006, 12:27 AM
'The Lazy Crossdresser', lots of good advice.

Gunda
09-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi,
I've only ever read The Transvestites by Magnus Hirschfield (sp?), the early 20th century German researcher who did some of the early work on various forms of transgenderism. Some of the theory is kind of dated but the sections on research carried put among all different kinds of TG people, both anatomical males and females in both the US and Europe at the time, were very interesting. The first person biographical sketches provided by MtF and FtM crossdressers were eye opening and many of them had a tough road to hoe, particularly in those days almost one hundred years ago.

Best,
Gunda

Kate Simmons
09-26-2006, 04:11 AM
"The art and illusion of crossdressing" by JoAnn Roberts and "How to look like a girl" by Kalina Osata. Ericka

Angela Burke
10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
I read a book once,
Green it was.

DressRehersal
10-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Second on The Lazy Crossdresser; I also read Alice in Genderland, which was okay, but I wouldn't call it a must read. It kind of seemed to drone on at times.

thea
10-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I have a preorder placed for She's Not the Man I Married: Life with a Transgender Husband, Helen Boyd's new book (follow-up to My Husband Betty). It'll be out in mid-December.

Krystal Lee
10-29-2006, 10:33 AM
I read a book once,
Green it was.

Something I aspire to, someday. When I have time and am not buying panties!

Hugs Krystal.:silly:

TeriAnn
10-29-2006, 10:50 AM
I read a book wriiten by Caroline Cassie it is the life story of what she went through to become a woman. The trials and tribulations of fighting the system in England to get done what had to be done. I believe the name of the book was Tula my life story Only took me about a week to read, it was worth it:2c:

Cristi
10-29-2006, 12:40 PM
I guess I'll post a third for for 'the lazy crossdresser' by Charles Anders.

http://www.amazon.com/Lazy-Crossdresser-Charles-Anders/dp/1890159379/sr=8-1/qid=1162143255/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8060593-6509720?ie=UTF8&s=books

It is pretty basic, but is great for the beginner with lots of tips on dressing and makeup. Plus, it is just a great 'I'm not the only one who does this' kind of thing to actually read a book by somebody who feels just like I do.

The book doesn't really go into the 'whys' of CDing at all, just the 'hows'.

I'm beyond all the tips he gives now, but I re-read it once in a while just for the bits of humor and feeling of "It's OK to be like this" I get from it.

Sally24
10-29-2006, 04:37 PM
"40 Over 40: 40 Things Every Woman Over 40 Needs to Know About Getting Dressed". Not a crossdressing book per se but very helpful. It helped me learn how to match colors and patterns and many things that boys/men are never taught. Outdated in a couple of areas, but mostly "spot on" as brits like to say.

Sally

http://www.amazon.com/40-Over-Things-Getting-Dressed/dp/1885171420