PDA

View Full Version : On having to learn bravery.....quickly

Phyliss
09-26-2006, 04:58 PM
The picture gives the reader an idea of the layout between my side yard and my neighbor's yard. If you look carefully on the right side you can see part of her back porch. (this is important to the story)

So,....this morning I'm feeling a bit brave and after I drop off Grandson at school and get back home, I decide to put on my wedges and a skirt just for some fun, ( no makeup or wig) just drop my trousers and kick off my shoes to put on said skirt and heels. Wife still sleeping, ( long story but she sleeps better in the morning than at night) so I go to the kitchen and make my breakfast, (bowl of granola, yummy) after that I go down to my office in the basement, and get some paperwork done and make a few phone calls before heading off to my first job.
Finishing that, I go out to my garage and load my truck, (still wearing skirt and heels, hey if you want to learn to walk correctly, you gotta face real life situations.) Finish with that and note that I have some old parts that need to be disposed of, so I carry them out to the side, (you can see part of the pile.) . As I come out of the garage for the third time I note that R-----e, my neighbor is on her back porch having her morning coffee and smoke. Too late to back up now, she's seen me and waved to me. [people will see what they want to see] I wave back and continue getting rid of the last of the junk. I look up and she's headed towards me. Can't run, Oh well, gotta tough it out and see what happens.
"Think quick Phyliss"
Stand close to the wood pile near the fence. Look her straight in the eye and FOR GOD SAKE!!! don't look down at myself. Stand there and chat with her like I've done a thousand times before. Plain force of will kept me there and prevented me from melting into a quivering lump.
Usually we spend about five minutes "chit chatting" but NOOOO today she wants to talk for about fifteen minutes. Here I am in a skirt and heels with my brown plaid work shirt on talking to the neighbor over the fence. Must have been a sight. To top this off, there are two senior ladies that walk around the block every morning and wouldn't you know I could see them coming up the road in front of my house, while I was talking to R-----e. Hopefully they're more interested in what they're talking about than to look at me. From where I was standing the street isn't but 100 feet away, to my right and I have a straight driveway.
So we finish talking and as she heads back to her house I go into the garage to move my truck, (got a delivery about to arrive in a few moments and just wanted to move the truck while wearing skirt and heels.) Just As I sit down on the seat here comes the delivery, OH GOD can it get any worse?
As the driver makes the turn to back into my driveway I discover something......I can run in heels. 75 feet in a very short time, into the house, into my office and quick change into trousers and shoes.
Off load the delivery and sign for it. He leaves and finally I can begin to breath and give myself CPR to get my heart restarted.
Will I learn a lesson from this? NOPE. In case R-----e had spotted my skirt and obviously asked a question I would have said I'm practicing for Halloween. Would that have worked? I don't know but it was all I could come up with at the time.

So,....the lesson here is....be brave and tough it out no matter what.

sue ellan
09-26-2006, 05:08 PM
parcticing for hollowen? i don't think that she would have bought it
sue ellan

ElleCD
09-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Phyliss

On the edge of my seat reading that one. I have to agee with sue ellen, fairly limp potential explanation. There comes a time when there isn't an explanation other than the obvious and i think you ran it very close (literally and in heels).

Elle
X

Eileen
09-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Phyliss I would had to have my neighbor call 911, if that had happened to me. You handled your delema very well. And you learned you can run in high heels. A girl can do a lot more than she thinks she can when she is put to the test!

Eileen

Stephenie S
09-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Dear Phyliss,

As I said in an earlier post, I made what I considered to be a pre-emptive strike and told my next door neighbor that I was "exploring my feminine side". The opening for this came when, during a morning chat over the fence, she asked me when I was going to get a haircut. I am certain that, sooner or later, she would have seen me coming or going dressed, so I just got the issue out in the open on my terms. It worked for me. Her reaction was pretty blase'. I know it's hard to tell how she really felt and I sometimes wonder what she will tell other neighbors but so far there has been no negative fallout.

Steph

Joy Carter
09-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Reminds me of something "Benny Hill" would do. LOL :D

Di
09-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Well done you handled it perfectly.

Butterfly Bill
09-26-2006, 08:40 PM
It seems to me that that experience can show you what would happen if you came out: most people would pay it no mind.

Joyce1702
09-26-2006, 08:43 PM
What a great story. :)

Joyce