PDA

View Full Version : About Progesterone...

Nyx
09-28-2006, 04:03 PM
An interesting find on wikipedia....:

Progesterone is used in hormone therapy for transsexual women, and some Intersex women - especially when synthetic progestins have been ineffective or caused side-effects - since normal breast tissue cannot develop except in the presence of both progestogen and estrogen. Mammary glandular tissue is otherwise fibrotic, the breast shape conical and the areola immature, Progesterone can correct those even after years of inadequate hormonal treatment. Research usually cited against such value was conducted using Provera, a synthetic progestin. Progesterone also has a role in skin elasticity and bone strength, in respiration, in nerve tissue and in female sexuality, and the presence of progesterone receptors in certain muscle and fat tissue may hint at a role in sexually-dimorphic proportions of those.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progesterone (end of the page).

So according to this, without progesterone, breasts can't achieve their full maturity and thus can't reach their full potential (in terms of size) without progesterone. This might (partly) explain the common statement that "transsexuals are usually a cup less than siblings"... It might be because they simply don't have the right hormone regimen. Of course there is the fact that hormones become less efficient as you age, but I have seen at least one transsexual women who took estrogen and reached an unusually large breast size (D or more).

Personally, I'd be happy with a full B, or a C, but I doubt I can get that without a proper hormone regimen. I will be discussing this with my doctor when the time is appropriate... Hopefully he will accept to prescribe progesterone once I have a stable estrogen/t-blocker regimen.

kelli
09-28-2006, 05:25 PM
A while back I looked into progestin because my doctor was reluctant to prescribe. I don't have the references any more, but the bottom line was the longer the time in a natal female from start of breast development to menarche (start of P and higher E production) the higher risk they had for breast cancer later in life. The second finding was that the more differinated the breast tissue cells the less risk of cancer. This is true for several types of cancer in men and women.

What all that means is without the proper mix of E&P during breast development the greater the risk of cancer. Most doctors want to treat transsexuals as post menopausual women. Just put us on E and everything will be fine cause P is suppose to be the cancer causer in HRT for older women.

I found by doing the research and point my doctor in the right direction she was more interest and did more looking herself.

Nyx
09-28-2006, 09:39 PM
A while back I looked into progestin because my doctor was reluctant to prescribe. I don't have the references any more, but the bottom line was the longer the time in a natal female from start of breast development to menarche (start of P and higher E production) the higher risk they had for breast cancer later in life. The second finding was that the more differinated the breast tissue cells the less risk of cancer. This is true for several types of cancer in men and women.

What all that means is without the proper mix of E&P during breast development the greater the risk of cancer. Most doctors want to treat transsexuals as post menopausual women. Just put us on E and everything will be fine cause P is suppose to be the cancer causer in HRT for older women.

I found by doing the research and point my doctor in the right direction she was more interest and did more looking herself.

Breast cancer has a strong genetic link and there is none in my family, so I don't personally see that as a threat.

AmberTG
09-28-2006, 11:04 PM
I have heard it said that there is no history of breast cancer in transexuals, but I don't know that to be a fact. It would be interesting to know about that.

~Dee~
09-28-2006, 11:23 PM
I have heard it said that there is no history of breast cancer in transexuals, but I don't know that to be a fact. It would be interesting to know about that.

i remember reading a report that was done in europe that had stated that though there was breast cancer present in the target group after a period of hormone treatment, it still fit the statistical chance of an average male group of the same number developing breast cancer.

so they hadnt seen, in their report, any change in the frequency of breast cancer among their test subjects ...
but then again, there are probably many contradictory studies and findings out there to say otherwise ..