PDA

View Full Version : Doreens fashions

Princess29
09-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Today I went to find Doreens fashions in london. On a previous visit to london I went to the transformations store near Euston station and didn't really think too much of them so I wanted to try something different.
At transformations I got the feeling that all they were concerned about was getting my money and I have to say I kind of got the feeling that the staff at Doreens were somewhat along the same lines.
I explained to them that I was just trying to find out where the place was and check out what they had and they kind of accepted. I've only been in London for a couple of weeks and l just wanted to find out where they were.
Don't get me wrong though, overall I thought that the store as a whole was much better than transformations but I just wish they wouldn't have gone for the full court press with the sales pitch.
What do others think of Doreens?

loki_uk
09-28-2006, 08:26 PM
So they want to sell you things that's capitalism, they just talk to you unlike most stores these days who either are understaffed or have pushing sales assistants on commission

They're always keen for you to try on the clothes, but nah never found them tacky like that other places I won't mention

ClaireT
09-29-2006, 12:56 AM
I've got to agree with you, the sales pitch can be very aggressive (in a buttered up way). I went there for a corset, I wanted a white one. They didn't have a white one in my size so I had to endure an unending drone about how a white one would get grubby (I didn't intend to service the car in it) and a black one would be far better etc. The entourage piped in to add group pressure to this and you're really pushed to buy something that either you didn't ask for or doesn't fit or look good on you.

Perhaps we should accept some of this as the price of "acceptance"? I'm immune to bullying like this and won't be taken advantage of but the prices are reasonable if you can resist the pitch to buy stuff you don't want so the place gets a wary thumbs up from me.

Nina UK
09-29-2006, 02:19 AM
For those of you in the UK, try Lacies@Fantasy Girl. I have only dealt with them online but received a very prompt and caring service i feel. They are very quick to answer any corespondence you send and i feel that they do it with a lot of care and attention. Also i thought there prices were ok as well. Hope this helps:hugs: Worth a try at least.

Tracy_Victoria
09-29-2006, 03:03 AM
When ever there is a limited market, there will be a need to sell more hence the heavy sales pitch, and inflate the price. both Doreen and Transformation have limited customer bases, ie the users of the shop are not just limited to the number of TV's in the UK. but the number that will 1) actually walk through the door. 2) can actually recieve mail order items that will not draw attention or interest as to whats in the box?

Princess29
09-29-2006, 03:11 AM
I liked the store and they had some really nice stuff there. If I ever get the chance to get fully dressed up, I reckon I'll go there. There was a nice skirt suit and a lovely dress there that I struggled to resist. Obviously every business wants to make money, that's the name of the game. It just bugs me when if you just want to look at what a store has and they try and, like I said, go the full court press on you.

Princess29
09-29-2006, 03:20 AM
It was nice though to be able to talk to someone about my dressing and I didn't feel the least bit embarrassed for a change. There's only a couple of people who know me in london (I'm australian) and I knew where they were so basically no on knew I was there.
The people didn't know my name or know anything about me, I was completely anonymous which was great. Although one of the women in the store thought that I had been in the store before (I hadn't).

Sandra
09-29-2006, 04:31 AM
I have been told often at how expensive Transformation is and that you can get the things you want else where and cheaper.

carol ann
09-29-2006, 07:52 AM
I shopped at Doreens some years ago and more recently at Transformation. I have now come to the conclusion that i will avoid shops which just cater for the crossdressing population in the future because i have found them very expensive (often twice to three times the normal retail price) and a lot of the stuff very tacky.

Since developing the confidence to shop in normal retail outlets and department stores, whether for lingerie, bra enhancers, skirts, dresses, shoes, wigs or make-up, I have enjoyed shopping so much more. I get value for money, can afford a wider choice and have the thrill of just browsing. I haven't yet come across a problem that one could not brush aside with a simple comment or repost.

Nikki Dee
09-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Doreens can be a "challenge" I agree...you have to be as strong as they are..they do sell quite aggressively...they are there to make money after all..But generally I have found their products to be good and not overly expensive...unlike Transformation.!!!
Nikki. x

Sam-antha
09-29-2006, 11:45 AM
I do tend to go out in the normal High Street shops, preferring the range available, but often the prices asked can seem excessive.
Doreen's does seem to offer (per internet) acceptable quality (so far) and at times a higher price. Everyone has to agree that some things are best internet bought.
On the whole, I check around both sources, internet and High Street, dropping in at Doreens (per internet) from habit, I suppose.
It would be nice to be able to talk through some purchases face to face.
~Samm

moira1952
09-29-2006, 12:28 PM
I intend visiting doreens in the next few weeks , I shall bear in mind all i have read and prepare myself not to be hassled or pushed into a purchase , thank you.

Princess29
10-03-2006, 01:22 PM
When I left the store, I had to laugh that a woman who was walking past just after I came out and saw that I was carrying a purchase from Doreen's, she gave me a sideways look that said "Weirdo". I didn't care, it was pretty funny though.
Where else can you get foundation garments that can fill you out in the right places other than at a store such as Doreen's? The hip and bum padding knickers that Doreens offer, seem to not offer much padding at all.