PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read Vested Interests

krisybryant
09-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Has anyone read "Vested Interests: Cross-Dressing and Cultural Anxiety"
by Marjorie B Garber? Is it worth it?

I just ran across a copy of a few pages on Google while looking for 'crossdressing restroom laws'. The few pages I read look interesting. There were several historical references of changing views about crossdressing.

Julogden
09-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Has anyone read "Vested Interests: Cross-Dressing and Cultural Anxiety"
by Marjorie B Garber? Is it worth it?

I just ran across a copy of a few pages on Google while looking for 'crossdressing restroom laws'. The few pages I read look interesting. There were several historical references of changing views about crossdressing.
Hi Krisy,

It's a fascinating book, but not an easy read, at least not for me, as it's a rather scholarly book compared to some.

Ms. Garber has certainly done her research, so it's an exhaustive, occasionally exhausting, look at crossdressing and it's place in culture.

Plan on spending some significant time reading this one, but definitely pick up a copy if it sounds like your cup o' tea.:happy:

Carol:hugs:

krisybryant
09-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks. I actually found a copy in the library. I agree it seems academic in nature.
Also found "My Husband Betty" and "My Husband Wears My Clothes" at the library. My reading list is full for this fall/winter.

JeanneF
09-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I read it a long time ago, back in college. It is a very academic text, and if memory serves, it didn't really do much to answer the questions I was dealing with at the time (the issues with being a 18 year old t-girl), but it was an interesting cultural study on transgenderism. It would be something I would consider rereading now, ten years later and much more accepting of myself and my place in the world.

Julogden
09-29-2006, 10:19 PM
I read it a long time ago, back in college. It is a very academic text, and if memory serves, it didn't really do much to answer the questions I was dealing with at the time (the issues with being a 18 year old t-girl), but it was an interesting cultural study on transgenderism. It would be something I would consider rereading now, ten years later and much more accepting of myself and my place in the world.
Hi Lisa,

Yes, it's aimed primarily at the non-TG public as far as I can see.

I bought the book back in 1993 when it first came out in soft-cover, and at a time when I was reading anything and everything about transgender topics, so I fought my way through it, eventually liked it but it was not an easy book to read initially.

Carol:hugs:

laurag240
10-11-2006, 11:51 AM
I found it to be an interesting read, a book i would suggest for anyone. It is well written and contains a lot of information.

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Good book. Pretty academic and more about literary criticism. Won't really answer your questions about crossdressing issues, but does give some interesting background. BTW, if a particular doesn't do it for you, just skip to the next, since it covers a lot of different topics.

cateK
10-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I read that many years ago and it is academic, but I found it fascinating and gave a historical and social perspective to make me feel a little less alone

Nike
10-24-2006, 01:32 PM
I too read it in the early '90's. I found it scholarly as well. As Carol said -

"it's an exhaustive, occasionally exhausting, look at crossdressing and it's place in culture."

Depending on what you are looking for, it may well be worth the effort.