PDA

View Full Version : Heels and back pain?

sandra-leigh
09-30-2006, 06:20 AM
I'm wondering about how strong the connection is between high heels and back pain?

Last week I hurt my back -- a muscle twisted when I was running for the bus. It was seriously stiff about 6 hours later, but I rested well overnight and it rapidly got better; by Saturday I was out on my bicycle.

This week, I've been wearing heels most days, mostly a 3" heel. Not "high heels" or stilleto; I don't know if the style has a name. A cousin of a wedge shoe, I guess. The heel is not too high for me: if I place the ball of my foot on the ground and raise the heel of my foot to a comfortable position, then that's the line of the shoe.

I've noticed, though, that as the week goes on, my back has been getting worse and worse again; yesterday again it was hard to walk. Not quite as bad as the day last week, but sore enough that I didn't work much (a sitting job.)

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my back, why it is worse, and my hypothesis at the moment is that the heels were putting my back muscles into positions that were aggrevating the earlier problem. Does that sound plausible?

I have read, in a theoretical sort of way, of women saying that high heels give them back pains, but I had always figured that was due to heels that were too high, and due to the instability of the narrow heel. And I thought that the back pain phase of high heels wasn't until after the still-calves phase?

I bought some new shoes yesterday, with a 1" heel; my back did seem to hurt less with those, but it wasn't a radical difference. I don't have "shooting pains" while wearing the higher heels.

LindaTS
09-30-2006, 07:11 AM
I've read articles from doctors who mostly seem to agree that hi-heels are not the best choice of shoes for women. That said, I have to say that I wear heels almost everyday. Mostly 3" heels if I'm going out for the day but 4" or 5" if I'm staying in. As for me I don't have any back pain other than some caused by a herniated disc. If I happen to be going somewhere that I have to do a lot of walking, such as a long vacation to the desert or mountains I might be in sneakers for a few days but it makes no difference. I suppose heels can affect people in different ways though.

Lisa Golightly
09-30-2006, 08:15 AM
My Doctor always tells me off for wearing heels. My right foot often goes numb and the big toe on my left foot starts a chain reaction of ankle, knee,hip and then back spasms. It's the pointed toe shoes that do it in my case. I used to wear heels for over sixty hours a week, but these days I tend to work barefoot in the office.

Spiral
09-30-2006, 08:35 AM
I heard that high heels although bad for your back are good for your knees.
In any case i'm willing to deal with the consiquences. I love to where high heels and I can't stop buying different ones.::o

Karren H
09-30-2006, 08:47 AM
None here.....my back pain is usually associated with a cross-check or a mid-ice colission of some sort!! hehehe

Love Karren

LisaRose
09-30-2006, 09:04 AM
I think it depends on your injury. I, for one, benefit from wearing heels after a long day with out them. I too have a herniated disc and the change to heels seem to help by adjusting the position of my back.

I think you're still in the process of healing so I'd stay off of the heels for awhile. You most likely need some good muscle relaxers to get rid of the discomfort.

Angie G
09-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Tess-Leigh my wife has a back problem and can't wear heels but I wear them a lot with no problem butI don't have back problems ether. :hugs:
Angie

NatashaWI
09-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi Tess

I agree with Yummy - I have bad knees but after a night in hose and heels my knees feel great for a week. This is fun therapy! As far as your back is concerned, it certainly seems like your heels are aggravating something. Hard as it may be, you might want to wear flats for a week and see if you back improves.

sandra-leigh
09-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Hard as it may be, you might want to wear flats for a week and see if you back improves.

Thanks; that shouldn't be too hard (except for going out tonight...)

I normally wear flats, but I had a rare chance this week to wear my heels most places.

It might interest some of you to know that I've worn those 3" heels at work several days (this week and in the past), and if anyone has noticed, no-one has said anything. They are a basic brown colour with no decoration, and there is no cut-away in the bottom so it just looks like a solid shoe. I think a few people might have noticed the different sound of the footsteps a bit, but I haven't seen anyone starting or even trying to get a look at my shoes. My pant legs come down far enough that the lift is not obvious. But I haven't let my wife see them!
I cannot find the style online at payless; it might only be stocked in Canada. It's about like the Kenzy Wedge but in suede and with no decorations.
Anyhow, the point being that if you are willing to accept something not particularily distinctive, then even 3" heels can be worn at work, in drab.

AmberTG
09-30-2006, 03:33 PM
The chiropractor always tells my wife not to wear heels because of her back, not that she's likely to listen:heehee:
My lower back muscle and alignment problems are definitely affected by the size of the heels I wear. 1-1/2 to 2 inch heels are fine, 3 inch heels are pushing it and 4 inch heels kill my back after a short time. Problem is, it's so hard to find cute shoes with a low heel. I'd like to find ankle strap pumps with a 2 inch heel in a normal woman's width, I have narrow feet.