PDA

View Full Version : The Woman Who Used to Live in the Mirror

Tracy Lynn
10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I just read this on another site. Had to share. Kind of long but I like it.

It was the first time I'd ever gone anywhere in a dress. When I got home, there she was, looking back at me from the mirror. She wasn't me, but she couldn't exist without me, either. We both knew that.

"We're going to do this again," she told me. She studied my clothes, as if they were hers. She looked distracted, though; something else was on her mind. It was to become her obsession--going out, other chances for her to escape from the mirror. I could feel the power of that obsession, even then. She scared me; I didn't want to admit that I knew her.

I didn't want to leave her there, either, but I was tired and needed to sleep. As I took off my clothes, pieces of her disappeared until no one was left in the mirror but me.

I didn't like the way that felt. She couldn't exist except in my presence, and I'd sent her away. I hadn't known what else to do. But when she leaped from my eyes to the mirror, she took with her my hidden desire to be--her. Now that she was gone, she still had my desire. She'd left me incomplete.

I began to look for other opportunities to let her out of the mirror. Going to the post office at midnight to buy stamps from the machine. Returning movies after the video store had closed. Even standing out on the balcony during a thunderstorm at night. Going out was her special thrill. She always knew how far she was from the mirror, how far her clothes were from my closet.

I took her shopping, or she took me, or we took each other. All she needed was for me to wear something of hers, and she was with me. At first her selections were unlike anything I'd wear--sexy, even ****ty. What she needed, she said, was not to be me. After a while, her selections improved; they were more like the kind of clothes a woman my age, my height, my weight would wear. She looked good in them, too. This was a woman I could learn to like.

But it scared me to go out in public as her; I was sure someone would know. So we shopped by phone more than in person. I thought that would be enough for her, but she needed to wear the things that we bought, needed to wear them in public. "Why don't we go out more?" she asked. She wouldn't listen to my fear.

Sometimes we used my computer to talk to other mirror-women. "Where do you go when you're out?" she'd ask. "What are you wearing?" they'd say. Black leotard and a denim skirt. Turtleneck and jeans. Sometimes they asked more personal questions, but she never answered those. Soon she knew what kind of people would ask those questions even before they spoke.

One day she said, "I want your body."

That scared me. Did she know what she was asking? This was the moment I'd been dreading, a moment that other mirror-women had told us about. What she wanted was not temporary. "We'll talk about it," I said; maybe we could work out an arrangement. I wasn't the person she wanted to talk to, though.

We found a therapist who knew about mirror-women. After all the times we'd shared, suddenly it was her against me. We were both frightened: I could lose my body. She could lose her life. A word from the therapist, and one of us could die.

A word was all the therapist said. She held up a mirror to us and said, "Count." There was only one image in the mirror. The mirror-woman had known all along which of us it would be.

There was no stopping my mirror-woman now. She wanted me to go on hormones. "Whose body is this?" I asked, but her therapist said, "Yes." "Whose body is this?" I asked, but she sat at my computer and listened to other mirror-women. "Do it!" they said. "Do it! Do it!" "I'm jealous," one said; "I wish I could do that." "I did it, and I never looked back," another said. "Do it!"

"Whose body is this?" I asked, but my voice was lost among the mirror-voices.

With the hormones, she no longer needed for me to wear her clothes in order to steal my body. I now shopped openly for her clothes, even when dressed as me. When we went to a store, I never knew whose voice would speak to the clerk--mine or hers.

With the hormones, I grew breasts. My face changed, my hips changed, other things changed. She was thrilled, and while I shared in her thrill, my fear grew as well. This was the only body I'd ever known, and I no longer knew whose body it was.

She still wasn't satisfied. "I want a name," she said.

"But you already have one," I said.

"That's just between us. My body needs a name, too; it needs a proper name."

"A female name, you mean." Cold crept up my spine.

"Of course." She already knew how to do it; her mirror-friends had told her. We went to the courthouse and posted the notice. Old name, mine. New name, hers. Wait ten days, and pay a fee.

I no longer wanted to ask whose body it was. She had her mirror-friends, she had her therapist, and now she had me. What did I have?

I found out one night when she sat on the end of my bed and looked in the mirror. Her own image looked back from the mirror. She was in both places, and I was in neither. "Whose life is this?" I asked, but I knew.

"You can live in my old room," she said, pointing to her heart--the heart that used to be mine. I looked into the place where she had lived all my life. I knew beyond question why she'd wanted out, but I also knew that my alternatives were worse--I knew what other mirror-women did with their men.

"Promise me this," I said. "Promise you'll take no more from me."

She promised. But even in this, I was to learn, she was selfish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1995, 2001 by Diane Wilson. All rights reserved.

Roberta Lynn
10-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Great post Tracie!!

Really enjoyed reading it.
Read like it came from the heart

You should post it in the writers forum,
won't disappear as fast.
:love:

SherriePall
10-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Wow, Tracie. That's kind of scary. We all have our mirror woman. For some of us it's just a matter of time before she slowly takes over. First shaving the legs, then the upper body and armpits. Next comes laser or electrolysis on the face. That post is really scary. Scary because more of us have this battle with the mirror woman than we would like to admit. It's just a matter of finding how much we can let her get away with and still be happy.

Tree GG
10-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Wow, Tracie. That's kind of scary. . .

Amen

alexis79
10-03-2006, 05:17 PM
That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read, kinda hit close to home. Truly a wonderful post

Brianna Lovely
10-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Thank you Tracie, for a wonderful and profound post.

Jodi Lynn
10-03-2006, 06:03 PM
What a wonderful post Tracie. I know it hit home with me, and I am sure it has or will with others. While I am still fighting with the woman in my mirror and she is very very strong. Someday I know she will win the fight and she will forever more be alive.

Tracy Lynn
10-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I just had to post it. It made me kind of weepy when I read it the first time. It really does ring true.

Sheila
10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
I feel the beauty of the message but mostly I feel fear

Jess(SO)

Billijo49504
10-04-2006, 12:42 AM
WOW!!!! That really hit me! I wonder where I'm at in the process. If I'm somewere between the two places...BJ

Sarah Rabbit
10-04-2006, 12:54 AM
The writer appears to be in conflict with themselves. The woman struggling to get out and the male wanting to confine her to a more secret existance.. I would have prefered to be the GG, I should have been, but I do not deny the male side of me.Once acceptence is reached, the two can live side by side and the conflict will cease.

Sarah R. :bunny:

Fionax
10-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Gosh that was really unnerving and spooky:like Helen Reddy's song

You live your life in the songs you here
on your rock and roll radio
and when a young girl doesn't have any friends
it's a really nice place to go
folks hoping you'd turn out cool
but they had to take you out of school
you're a little touched you know
angie baby

lovers appear in your room each night
as they whirl accross the floor
but they always seem to fade away
when your daddy taps on your door
angie girl are you alright?
tell the radio goodnight
all alone once more angie baby

Chorus
angie baby
you're a special lady
living in a world of make believe
well maybe

stopping at her house is a neighbour boy
with evil on his mind
cos he's been peeking in angies room
at the night through the window blind
I see your folks have gone away
won't you dance with me today
I'll show you how to have a good time
angie baby

( angie baby ) (angie baby )

when he walks in the room
he feels confused
like he walked into a play
and the music's so loud
it spins him around
till his soul has lost it's way
and as she turns the volume down
he's getting smaller with the sound
it seems to pull him off the ground
no more the radio is bound
never to be found

the headlines read that a boy disapeared
and everyone thinks he died
except a crazy girl with a secret lover
who keeps him satisfied
it's so nice to be insane
no one asked you to explain
radio by your side
angie baby

Kate Simmons
10-04-2006, 05:14 AM
The "mirror woman" doesn't run my life. She's "backwards" anyway or is that sdrawkcab? The person being reflected is myself. Anyone who won't admit that needs serious help. She exists, no doubt about that but within me not the mirror. The mirror is only a tool I use to fine tune myself. What if there were no mirrors? Have to take our best guess on our appearance or rely on feedback from others. Even as guys we need mirrors to shave , etc. Whoever I see in there is with me all the time personally. :happy: Ericka/Rich

Joy Carter
10-04-2006, 05:23 AM
I just read this on another site. Had to share. Kind of long but I like it.

It was the first time I'd ever gone anywhere in a dress. When I got home, there she was, looking back at me from the mirror. She wasn't me, but she couldn't exist without me, either. We both knew that.

"We're going to do this again," she told me. She studied my clothes, as if they were hers. She looked distracted, though; something else was on her mind. It was to become her obsession--going out, other chances for her to escape from the mirror. I could feel the power of that obsession, even then. She scared me; I didn't want to admit that I knew her.

I didn't want to leave her there, either, but I was tired and needed to sleep. As I took off my clothes, pieces of her disappeared until no one was left in the mirror but me.

I didn't like the way that felt. She couldn't exist except in my presence, and I'd sent her away. I hadn't known what else to do. But when she leaped from my eyes to the mirror, she took with her my hidden desire to be--her. Now that she was gone, she still had my desire. She'd left me incomplete.

I began to look for other opportunities to let her out of the mirror. Going to the post office at midnight to buy stamps from the machine. Returning movies after the video store had closed. Even standing out on the balcony during a thunderstorm at night. Going out was her special thrill. She always knew how far she was from the mirror, how far her clothes were from my closet.

I took her shopping, or she took me, or we took each other. All she needed was for me to wear something of hers, and she was with me. At first her selections were unlike anything I'd wear--sexy, even ****ty. What she needed, she said, was not to be me. After a while, her selections improved; they were more like the kind of clothes a woman my age, my height, my weight would wear. She looked good in them, too. This was a woman I could learn to like.

But it scared me to go out in public as her; I was sure someone would know. So we shopped by phone more than in person. I thought that would be enough for her, but she needed to wear the things that we bought, needed to wear them in public. "Why don't we go out more?" she asked. She wouldn't listen to my fear.

Sometimes we used my computer to talk to other mirror-women. "Where do you go when you're out?" she'd ask. "What are you wearing?" they'd say. Black leotard and a denim skirt. Turtleneck and jeans. Sometimes they asked more personal questions, but she never answered those. Soon she knew what kind of people would ask those questions even before they spoke.

One day she said, "I want your body."

That scared me. Did she know what she was asking? This was the moment I'd been dreading, a moment that other mirror-women had told us about. What she wanted was not temporary. "We'll talk about it," I said; maybe we could work out an arrangement. I wasn't the person she wanted to talk to, though.

We found a therapist who knew about mirror-women. After all the times we'd shared, suddenly it was her against me. We were both frightened: I could lose my body. She could lose her life. A word from the therapist, and one of us could die.

A word was all the therapist said. She held up a mirror to us and said, "Count." There was only one image in the mirror. The mirror-woman had known all along which of us it would be.

There was no stopping my mirror-woman now. She wanted me to go on hormones. "Whose body is this?" I asked, but her therapist said, "Yes." "Whose body is this?" I asked, but she sat at my computer and listened to other mirror-women. "Do it!" they said. "Do it! Do it!" "I'm jealous," one said; "I wish I could do that." "I did it, and I never looked back," another said. "Do it!"

"Whose body is this?" I asked, but my voice was lost among the mirror-voices.

With the hormones, she no longer needed for me to wear her clothes in order to steal my body. I now shopped openly for her clothes, even when dressed as me. When we went to a store, I never knew whose voice would speak to the clerk--mine or hers.

With the hormones, I grew breasts. My face changed, my hips changed, other things changed. She was thrilled, and while I shared in her thrill, my fear grew as well. This was the only body I'd ever known, and I no longer knew whose body it was.

She still wasn't satisfied. "I want a name," she said.

"But you already have one," I said.

"That's just between us. My body needs a name, too; it needs a proper name."

"A female name, you mean." Cold crept up my spine.

"Of course." She already knew how to do it; her mirror-friends had told her. We went to the courthouse and posted the notice. Old name, mine. New name, hers. Wait ten days, and pay a fee.

I no longer wanted to ask whose body it was. She had her mirror-friends, she had her therapist, and now she had me. What did I have?

I found out one night when she sat on the end of my bed and looked in the mirror. Her own image looked back from the mirror. She was in both places, and I was in neither. "Whose life is this?" I asked, but I knew.

"You can live in my old room," she said, pointing to her heart--the heart that used to be mine. I looked into the place where she had lived all my life. I knew beyond question why she'd wanted out, but I also knew that my alternatives were worse--I knew what other mirror-women did with their men.

"Promise me this," I said. "Promise you'll take no more from me."

She promised. But even in this, I was to learn, she was selfish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1995, 2001 by Diane Wilson. All rights reserved.

This most defiantly came from her soul. It has touched mine. Thanks :bow:

Teresa Amina
10-04-2006, 05:52 AM
For years I hid from my reflection. Back when I wasn't a little girl my mirror mocked me- "Not much of a boy either, are you?" Reflections can be cruel. Put on those "borrowed" clothes, young one, and the mirror again with sly mockery- "Not quite what you're after, is it?" The years go by, the reflection slowly changing. Put away the dream, chain the longing to "Be". A beard is a fine disguise, a way to cloud the mirror. But the inner image grows whether we view it or not. "She" develops into this woman we want to be, and when we dare to look again (Ax the beard, buy the clothes, indulge the longing) there she is. But it isn't "she" at all, not a personified "other", but our core self unchained. I am still astounded with what I see- "There I am!"

Robin Leigh
10-04-2006, 06:02 AM
The writer appears to be in conflict with themselves. The woman struggling to get out and the male wanting to confine her to a more secret existance.. I would have prefered to be the GG, I should have been, but I do not deny the male side of me. Once acceptence is reached, the two can live side by side and the conflict will cease.

Male-female integration isn't really very easy for someone who is truly TS, although I suspect that the writer of this piece is an autogynophile. As you are probably aware, their is a lot of "political" tension between the autogynophiles and many so-called "true" transsexuals, who consider the AG girls as misguided or deluded.

There has been a running battle for several years, with AGs advancing all sorts of reasons why they should be allowed to take hormones or even have SRS. AG may be considered a valid reason to transition these days, but how many who do transition or even just get breast enhancement later regret it?

Robin

Sarah Rabbit
10-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Male-female integration isn't really very easy for someone who is truly TS,...RobinI would tend to disagree. I believe the generally accepted idea of TS is someone who is between GG and GM on the spectrum. Therefore making Male-Female intergration easier. However that also depends on the individual.

Sarah R. :bunny:

Krystal Lee
10-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Tracie,

Wow did that hit home. I think you held a mirror up for me! We all go through something like that, to some extent, I believe. At least I asked myself why and what for many many years.

Thank you for relaying that to us.

Hugs Krystal.

Joy Carter
10-05-2006, 02:26 AM
For years I hid from my reflection. Back when I wasn't a little girl my mirror mocked me- "Not much of a boy either, are you?" Reflections can be cruel. Put on those "borrowed" clothes, young one, and the mirror again with sly mockery- "Not quite what you're after, is it?" The years go by, the reflection slowly changing. Put away the dream, chain the longing to "Be". A beard is a fine disguise, a way to cloud the mirror. But the inner image grows whether we view it or not. "She" develops into this woman we want to be, and when we dare to look again (Ax the beard, buy the clothes, indulge the longing) there she is. But it isn't "she" at all, not a personified "other", but our core self unchained. I am still astounded with what I see- "There I am!"

I can relate.:o