PDA

View Full Version : What does your name mean?

Felix
10-06-2006, 04:14 AM
Thought this would be a good question! I found mine on www.babynamesworld.com It gives 11000 names and meanings lol it helped me loads :hugs:

Ryan
10-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Mine is Gaelic and means 'Little King', that made me smile, lol.

Kieron Andrew
10-06-2006, 06:34 AM
mine is celtic meaning small dark man or small dark skinned

Evert
10-06-2006, 06:37 AM
I'm a brave boar... :devil:

Felix
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Great stuff keep them coming peeps :hugs:

CaptLex
10-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Well, my first name (which I won't reveal) means "counselor", which I think it's cool, and Lex comes from my middle name (Alexis) which comes from Alexander, meaning "helper of mankind". So, put them together and I'm a counselor who helps people - I like that. I used to think about being a therapist, and in some ways I feel like I am. :D

Shadowls
10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Olivia: Latin - peace - of the olive tree

Christine: Greek - christ-bearer

closest ot my last name of Riggs is Rigg: English - lives near the ridge

so all and all if you go by naming the best that would discribe me would be i should live by the mountens, i carry christ on my back and out to find peace.

can't go to wrong with that :happy:

and just on the off chance of finding it every one close to me calls me livi

Livi: Latin - olive branch, peace

privateperks
10-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Thomas "a twin"
Andrew "manly"

so, the manly twin. My parents had a real brainwave on that one.

:devil:

bi_weird
10-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Haha "Mark" is Latin meaning "warlike" or "defender". That's awesome!

Kimberley
10-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi Guys,
I know I've been away... again. Still, I somehow always remember my friends on both forums and inevitably return.

This thread is pretty neat so here it is:

Kimberley: "Variant of Kimberly: From the wood of the royal forest. From the royal fortress meadow. A surname and place name that can be used for both genders, although it is more commonly used as a girl's name."

Okay, now if I was confused before.... Hmm, is it possible they made a typo or ignored the 3rd gender to which they seem to have alluded.

Nahhh, I'm reading into things again. Okay, there is some real fodder here with this definition. (Bracing myself)

:hugs:
Kimberley

CaptLex
10-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the visit, Kimberley. You know you're always welcome to drop by. And it's so nice to have royalty amongst us. :heehee: I guess you picked the right name since it's applicable to both sides.

ankletauntie
10-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Mine means crowned with laurel. Not looking for hardy. Funny thing though my Dad gave me my name.
Lauren.xx

Timberley
10-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Hi there, hope no one minds me joining in, but the post looked fun.

Timothy (whose Greek name, Τιμοθέος, means to fear or to honor God)

For some reason, a woman at work calls me Timberley now and again.
Guess it kind of stuck.
I don't think she knows about me, but it is kind fun.

Cheers!

:0)

Bernadina
10-07-2006, 01:36 PM
I dunno.

Sandra
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind me butting in :)

Sandra is Greek and means helper of humanity. On other name sites it also comes up:

From the name Alexandra and means defender of men. So guys any problems with anyone here and I'll just come along and just :Punch:all of them . :D

Felix
10-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi Sandra and thanx for contributing to this thread :hugs:

Agles
10-07-2006, 08:11 PM
i ran into all that when i was looking for a name. though in the end i grabbed a running name in my family. both Grandfather and Greatgrandfather's names are James. and i like Jamie alot. better then Jason. which according to AOL parinting was used as a girls name back in the 70s. never met a girl named Jason. but there where more then 5 others guys i was in school with named Jason. one was even spelled Jayson never seen it spelled like that before?

='.'=
Jamie

Xaff
10-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Morgan

Origin: Gaelic, Welsh
Meaning: white sea; bright, dweller by the sea.

What does that mean??? --> dweller by the sea???

Kate Simmons
10-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Trouble, I think but then I'm devilish anyway, Felix. Life is boring otherwise.:happy: Ericka

Stacy GG
10-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Hope you don't mind me posting here :) Stacy - resurrection Kathleen- Pure

Felix
10-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Not at all Stacy thanx for sharing with us :hugs:

Abraxas
10-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Okie. I've got 3 names (1 first and two middle) plus the surname. Soooo

Benjamin: Son of my right hand

Edward: guardian

James: supplanter

Yupyup.

Felix
10-09-2006, 03:24 PM
An impressive bunch of names there hun :D

Abraxas
10-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Thx. I was going for the 'classy'-sounding stuff lol
No, kidding, I basically picked the names after people I admire (apart from Benjamin, that is).

boi_0h
10-11-2006, 09:05 PM
My name is Gaelic (although being 3/4 Irish i say Irish Gaelic) meaning god's gift, I just picked Shaun coz I have always wanted it to be my name, although I was/still am considering Padraig, which is the Irish/Gaelic way of saying Patrick, which is latin for noble one, still undecided but for now still Shaun Padraig, lol

boi_0h
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Morgan

Origin: Gaelic, Welsh
Meaning: white sea; bright, dweller by the sea.

What does that mean??? --> dweller by the sea???

The Morgan's <stemming from a last name prolly> lived by the sea, so many names come to fruition like this.

Kieron Andrew
10-11-2006, 09:09 PM
My name is Gaelic (although being 3/4 Irish i say Irish Gaelic) meaning god's gift, I just picked Shaun coz I have always wanted it to be my name, although I was/still am considering Padraig, which is the Irish/Gaelic way of saying Patrick, which is latin for noble one, still undecided but for now still Shaun Padraig, lolleave it as it is, i like Shaun as a guys first name as it is strong, and then use Padraig as your middle name to show your ancestry thats how they did in days of old......thats what ive done with mine

Sejd
10-11-2006, 10:12 PM
My name Sejd mean: Shaman woman, in Norse mythology or in the "old ways" of my people. A Sejd woman is a woman with the power to bless as well as curse someome. The power to hurt as well as to heal. To do sejd, is to do magic. to me, the transformation which takes place when I put on make up or dress up is truly magic.
Sejd

MJ
11-04-2006, 10:54 PM
hi there my name means:- marissa latin = of the sea. and jennifer welsh means:- white wave or white spirit or white cheeked thank you now i know

Taylor105
02-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Gee....guess what Taylor means?

A tailor. How original. lol

Marcie Sexton
02-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Latin, meaning active...boy did they hit the nailon the head....like the energizer bunny...

Sheila
02-16-2007, 08:52 AM
think they got mine wrong

My forum name.........Jess = easygoing :heehee: :heehee: :eek: :D

and my real name = Blind

MY DH cd name .......Claire = clear, bright, famous

his GM name ........... Named after the Roman god of war

Marcie Sexton
02-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Vicie is latin too, meaning conqueror...maybe that is why she is so hot blooded...:heehee:

Iniquity Blonde GG
02-16-2007, 09:11 AM
ooooooooooooh :eek: mines spanish :p ANGELA means messanger :straightface: thought it meant angel :eek: gutted pmsl :sad:

Dasein9
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM
The.
My name means "the" in German. Not the feminine the, which is die, and not the masculine the, which is der, but the neuter the, which is das.

Have been looking into name-changes lately. I really like being called Das, but fear it may be a bit too precious in someone looking for a job in universities. So... am thinking about Ephraim as a first name and Das as a middle name.

Ephraim means "fruitful."

mylitta
02-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Mylitta is the Babylonian goddess of love and war. So- shy and retiring like me! And my given name is a woman in the Bible who slept with someone and then cut his head off. Bit of a pattern emerging here! I'm a pussycat, really

Dasein9
02-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Jael? Or was she the one who put the tent stake into the guy's head?

mylitta
02-17-2007, 09:37 AM
No she was the stake girl

Adam
02-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Adam = man , earth

suits me :D

Lisa Golightly
02-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Well my boy name means man (can you guess what it is? ;) )... and Lisa means bright.

Margie
02-17-2007, 01:07 PM
So interesting to see about other names. It says a lot about ourselves doesn't it???
Mine is nothing unique or intriguing! It's after my mother, who molded me as the person I am. Her name was Margaret and I didn't think it proper for that name, she just hated hated Maggie sooooo ...... I'm Margie and just lovin' it!

yachica GG
02-18-2007, 04:39 PM
My real name is apparently French and means believer.

Yachica is a name I made up. I'm really into spanish and wanted Chica meaning girl but it was takeno I added Ya. Didn't realise there is a brand of camera called Yashica until people kept asking why I had named myself after it!! :devil:

Joy Carter
02-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Joy......Anyone know what that means +? :heehee:

Just kidding. It's one reason I picked it. I'm immeasurably happy since I came out to myself.

ZenFrost
02-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Gee....guess what Taylor means?

A tailor. How original. lol

Ha, I bet you saw that one coming!

My real name means "the high one" "the exalted one" and "ancient fire deity" depending on how it's spelled. I was named after a celtic goddess.

My male name means "god is forgiving" and my middle name means "son of home ruler."

kerrianna
02-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Mine, my birth name which is a shortened version of my name here, is gaelic and means Children of Ciar. Now I have to go find out what Ciar is.

The best part was they show my name as being female. :p
I knew it! :happy: