PDA

View Full Version : Advice !

JimLovesHotPink
10-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Here is my situation : I would love to dress up this Halloween finally after years of saying the same thing and I never do. I have a female friend who wants to go out this Halloween in costume to some local places. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how I can suggest I dress up as a girl, hooker etc without making it sound that I want to dress up that way ? I was thinking about somehow coaxing her into a friendly " bet " of some sorts and say that if I were to lose I would dress up as a girl or hooker for Halloween. Obviously, I would have to lose the bet then. But the more I think of it now, it's making it sound as though I want to dress up in that way which I am trying to avoid. Any suggestions ? Has anyone ever done something like this ?

Butterfly Bill
10-06-2006, 08:52 AM
It sounds like you really do want to dress that way, and if you do, you will have a hard time hiding it. And if you do try to hide it, it won't be anywhere near as much fun as if you didn't. Sounds like you need to think about coming out, in general.

If I had a nickel for every time someone has asked me at a Renaissance faire, "So did you lose the bet?", I could buy everything in size 16 at the Nordstrom. You can see the answer I alway give in my sig below.

Stephenie S
10-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Dear Jim,

But sweety, you DO want to dress up as a girl for Hallowe'en. That's all. Just say that and your problem is solved. There's nothing wrong with putting on a costume for Hallowe'en. Thousands of people do it all across the country. That's what Hallowe'en is all about. As you have already discovered, trying to trick someone else into making you dress for Hallowe'en in a costume you have to pretend to not like is pretty difficult. Plus, all those excuses are really pretty transparent, don't you think?

For goodness sake, dear, just come right out and say it. "This Hallowe'en I'd like to try dressing up as a girl, hooker, maid, witch, schoolgirl, whatever". It's just Hallowe'en, right? There's costumes available in all the costume shops. Your friend will have a good time helping you, you will have a good time doing it. And it will be SOOOOO much easier than some convoluted deception which won't work anyway. Believe me, making a huge production out of NOT wanting to do it will just draw unwanted attention to your plan. Just DO it. Have fun and no one will be the wiser. Except you. You will have learned that it's not such a big deal.

Lovies,
Stephenie

AprilMae
10-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Try to make it a pair costume, you the hooker she the pimp, you the bride, she the groom, you the farmgirl, she the SS stormtrooper...you the nun, she the priest.......

Tracy Lynn
10-06-2006, 09:21 AM
I dress up just about every year and no one has ever questioned it. Just do it. You'll feel so much better without having to make up a story.

Paula Thomas
10-06-2006, 09:28 AM
AprilMae has a good idea.

Costumes are a chance to "pretend" to be something you are not, or to "pretend" to be something that you wish you were (such as reversing the stereotype in clothing).

How about she dressing as a cowboy and you as a saloon-girl?

Or, dressing as twins.

MsJanessa
10-06-2006, 09:32 AM
if she asks you why you want to dress up as a girl just tell her you want to look pretty.

Vivian Best
10-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Try to make it a pair costume, you the hooker she the pimp, you the bride, she the groom, you the farmgirl, she the SS stormtrooper...you the nun, she the priest.......

Great idea April!

suchacutie
10-06-2006, 10:31 AM
hmmm, why not just say it would be a real challenge to do is successfully, but with her help you might be able to do it.

That certainly is the truth!

tina