PDA

View Full Version : Beauty Tips - Nails

Rachelle A
12-31-2004, 01:43 AM
For those of you who favour lovely, long nails, here are a few Tips, (No Pun) on how to keep from damaging them.

Learn how to use your fingers! Get into the habit of using your fingers as if you just applied a fresh coat of nail polish. The more trauma nails suffer, the more likely the tips will break. People are often surprised at how easily nails can break, yet few realize that the damage began days - even weeks - earlier.

For the typists out there, I wish I had an easy answer for you. I am currently looking to see if there are keyboards designed for people with long nails (hey, you never know). If your nails interfere with typing, chances are you will need to compromise and slowly shorten the nails until they are at a length you can accept yet not long enough to cause constant typos. You also need to make sure you press the keys with your finger pads, not the nail tips or you can weaken the nails. Palmtops and organizers will always be a pain, although you can use the type with the large LCD screens that read your handwriting (like the PalmPilot by 3Com).

Below is a quick list of general reminders:

Don't use nail tips to untie knots or loosen shoe laces. Boots can be the bane of nails in that we are more likely to need to loosen the laces to remove them and often need to grip the boot and pull to get the boots on.

Use the sides of your fingers to open car doors. This one has gotten me many times!

Don't dial the telephone with your fingers. Use a pen, pencil or some other body appendage.

Use your knuckles to press buttons, such as in elevators, crosswalks or self-destruct buttons.

Use a knife or razor to open boxes and packages, not your nails. (I know it is neat, but it will weaken them). On the same note, nails were not meant as screw drivers, apple corers or hors d'oeuvre utensils. (Ok, I may have used my pinky nails for that last one when they were out of toothpicks!)

Use the pads of your fingers - not the nails - when picking up or handling objects or while typing.

Always use rubber gloves when handling household cleaners as well as bleach. These chemicals will quickly dry out nails, leaving them brittle. Gloves also give the nails a bit of padding, but don't assume they are now impervious to breaks; Scratching dirt off a counter top while wearing gloves can still cause a break.

Particularly a problem for us candle freaks: watch out when lighting candles. I've learned to keep track of the flame on the match because my nails were so long I would not feel them burning as the flame singed the tips of my nails. If you have long nails you'll have to learn how to hold a match safely. Votive candles can be real killers when you have to reach deep into the glass to get at the wick. Light a taper candle and use that to light the other candles or buy one of those lighters used for gas stoves and charcoal grills (basically a lighter with a long metallic tip). I love the sound of a match being lit in a silent room so I tend to just use extreme care. Also, use common sense: never screw around with fire when your nail polish is not dry!

Jewelry latches can be your nemesis! It's hard enough trying to handle latches with long nails, but picking at latches with the side of your nail spells trouble. Use some sort of tool, like a small hand-held bottle cap remover.

Remove wet clothes from the washing machine with slow and deliberate movements. You can also make use of barbeque tongs when pulling wet clothes out to minimize risk of nail breaks.

When putting on your stockings (or any pantyhose for that matter) keep the index fingers turned under and use the middle portion of the thumb to pull them up. This won't only save your nail, but increase the life of your pantyhose as well.

Don't bother trying to pick up flat items (like coins) off a smooth surface since that can be very frustating and you'll look silly. It can also lead to breaks. Instead, slide them off with the edge with your hand or use a business card or some paper money to scrape it up.

Have a Happy New Year Everyone!

Wenda
12-31-2004, 11:49 AM
I am currently in day 5 of Sally Hansen's Maximum Growth treatment. Next week I move to the second phase. Yesterday i was cleaning the oven, and actually wore gloves (which does wonders for skin as well as nails), and only then realized how often I impulsively use my nails as tools. I read an article advising the strongest nails were one-quarter the length of the pink portion of your nails, trimmed to a squarish shape. Using that guideline, my little fingers are where they should be, the rest are in various stages of disaster. I know a woman whose nails are at least as long as the pink part of the nails, (ie 4 times as long as recommended) and can type like crazy. Its all what you get used to.
The most important thing I have learned is to keep the ends smooth. I keep a sanding bar in my desk drawer at work, in my truck, on my nightstand, and in the bathroom. One thing I have realized is that if I immediately remove nicks and cracks, it eliminates the likelihood that my nails will snag on something and break. I wear gloves more than I used to. It's a good thing, because my skin is thinner than it used to be, and I need to be more careful about it. wenda.

MonaSmith
12-31-2004, 12:03 PM
Hi Rachelle,

You have given some great advice there, thank you for that. I keep my nails long and I find that I don't have a problem as long as I think about what I am doing with my hands before I grab for something or do something that might cause a break. It takes a couple of weeks to get in to the habit but it is worth the effort. It also means that you tend to move in a more ladylike way, more controlled and relaxed rather that in a sharp, jerky, masculine way.

Fiona K
12-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Good tips all round!!

Wow Mona, fantastic new Av!! Going to erase all mine now. Inferiority complex kicking in!!
Fiona

MonaSmith
12-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Good tips all round!!

Wow Mona, fantastic new Av!! Going to erase all mine now. Inferiority complex kicking in!!
FionaAhh, Thank you Fiona, that's very sweet of you. I owe it all to Genevieve and her amazing photo techniques. She has helped me turn from a munter into a princess, lol.

Don't you dare delete your photos!! You are beautiful, live with it girl!

Fiona K
12-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Did I miss a Photo thread from G too?
I do need to brush up on my photoshop. The wardrobe door isn't the ideal background for this girl I fear!
Fiona
xx

MonaSmith
12-31-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi Fiona,

There was some stuff on Julie York's 'Rubbish Camera' thread. Gen is a photo genius, I bow down before her knowledge and her beauty.

I'm glad that I have a picture with a little colour in my face for once, I usually just bleach it out to cover the flaws. Just gotta work on smiling now, lol.

Wendy me
12-31-2004, 01:20 PM
fiona i like the light wood in the back play with shadows....lighting back ground is fine

Fiona K
12-31-2004, 01:33 PM
fiona i like the light wood in the back play with shadows....lighting back ground is fine

OK Wendy!
The lighting should be OK I discovered my new Digicam can cope with my 25 year old Vivitar flash gun, The light is bounced frm the ceiling, hence the relative lack of shadow.

Hmmm, definitely going to look at G's post again
Fiona

Fiona K
12-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Played with Photoshop, what do you think? G is a marvel, I didn't know the render comand existed!!
Gotta go Hogmanay party calls! A good New Year to one and all!
Fiona
xx

MonaSmith
12-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Played with Photoshop, what do you think? G is a marvel, I didn't know the render comand existed!!
Fiona
xxOooh, you are a hottie!

Gen is a gift from above sent to make us all into real girls, I am convinced of it.

Happy New Year!

Fiona K
12-31-2004, 02:51 PM
Oooh, you are a hottie!

Gen is a gift from above sent to make us all into real girls, I am convinced of it.

Happy New Year!

Isn't she just Mona? So many looks from one session!! It almost makes up for how infrequent they seem right now...

Anyway, Guid Ne'erday to you too!
Love
Fiona

Julie
12-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Been dying to jump into a thread for ages and this one seems appropiate. :)

Love the new avatar Mona, wonderful new look.

Fiona excellent work with photoshop and bounced flash, love the photo.

JJ

MonaSmith
12-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Thank you Julie,

You can jump into any thread you like, especially if you're going to compliment me, lol.

As I said before, I owe Gen big for the new look Mona.

Every day I am getting closer to where I want to be.

Beach Chick
12-31-2004, 05:05 PM
You are both SO HOT! Please PM me your numbers

Beach Chick

(yes, you're both totally hot but neither one of you needed a makeover anyway...Gees, it's like lighting dynamite with an atomic bomb! What does that mean? Is anyone listening?)

MonaSmith
12-31-2004, 05:07 PM

Beach Chick

(yes, you're both totally hot but neither one of you needed a makeover anyway...Gees, it's like lighting dynamite with an atomic bomb! What does that mean? Is anyone listening?) Hi Beach Chick,

If I PM you my number, will you use it?

Sharon
12-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Mona and Fiona -- you both look absolutely outstanding! What a way to end the old year!
Mona, you look like an entirely different person. And I thought you looked beautiful already!
Okay, I need to find a way to roll my tongue back up from off the floor now.

Tres Jolie
12-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi

Excuse me, I'm no picture expert or anything, but does anyone else here see a halo over Mona's head?

Tres Jolie

MonaSmith
12-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Hi

Excuse me, I'm no picture expert or anything, but does anyone else here see a halo over Mona's head?

Tres JolieLol, Hi Tres(can I call you Tres?),
Haven't heard from you for a while? Hope that you are okay.

So I have gone from Snow White to the Virgin Mary, not so much of a step forward as I thought, lol.

Love you.

Mona xx

Wenda
12-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Fiona
xx
WWOOOOWW! Very hot! Go ahead and delete your old avatar. This one blows it away! congratulations. wenda.

MonaSmith
12-31-2004, 05:22 PM
Mona and Fiona -- you both look absolutely outstanding! What a way to end the old year!
Mona, you look like an entirely different person. And I thought you looked beautiful already!
Okay, I need to find a way to roll my tongue back up from off the floor now.Hi Sharon,

That's very kind of you to say so. I am very, very happy with the pic. It's another step forward for Mona.

Rachelle, sorry for the Hi-jack of the thread. My bad.

Fiona K
01-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Been dying to jump into a thread for ages and this one seems appropiate. :)

Love the new avatar Mona, wonderful new look.

Fiona excellent work with photoshop and bounced flash, love the photo.

JJ

Thanks Julie,
And my turn to apologise for hijacking Rachelle's thread!! Sorry!
Fiona
xx

Fiona K
01-01-2005, 12:34 PM

Beach Chick

(yes, you're both totally hot but neither one of you needed a makeover anyway...Gees, it's like lighting dynamite with an atomic bomb! What does that mean? Is anyone listening?)

Only once Mona and I have had a serious shopping trip "up west" together!!
Fiona

MonaSmith
01-01-2005, 12:39 PM
FionaLol, ooh Fiona, that's something to consider. I think that Beach Chick should foot the bill though.

Fiona K
01-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Lol, ooh Fiona, that's something to consider. I think that Beach Chick should foot the bill though.

Absolutely, I think we're worth it, don't you?

MonaSmith
01-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Absolutely, I think we're worth it, don't you?Most definitely Fiona. So How about it Beach Chick?

Beach Chick
01-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Fiona

Lol, ooh Fiona, that's something to consider. I think that Beach Chick should foot the bill though.

Hey! I learned to QUOTE! Yea!

Now where was I?

Oh yeah...what's an 'Up West' shopping trip? Is that like an English way of saying "Up Yours?" I thought we were friends?

And as far as footing the bill...ok by me! Hey Fiona can I use your credit card? You look rich.

Love

Beach Chick

Fiona K
01-01-2005, 02:42 PM
"Up West" is a term for the West End of London, all the good shopping streets are there, as for my cards? MAxed out for Christmas and no I'm not rich- yet.
Fiona

DanaJ
01-01-2005, 03:54 PM
To get back on topic - Great tips Rachelle! I am a nail nut too, these are some great ideas - thanks for taking the time to write these all down for us. Did you come up with all these yourself?

DanaJ

For those of you who favour lovely, long nails, here are a few Tips, (No Pun) on how to keep from damaging them.

Learn how to use your fingers! Get into the habit of using your fingers as if you just applied a fresh coat of nail polish. The more trauma nails suffer, the more likely the tips will break. People are often surprised at how easily nails can break, yet few realize that the damage began days - even weeks - earlier.

For the typists out there, I wish I had an easy answer for you. I am currently looking to see if there are keyboards designed for people with long nails (hey, you never know). If your nails interfere with typing, chances are you will need to compromise and slowly shorten the nails until they are at a length you can accept yet not long enough to cause constant typos. You also need to make sure you press the keys with your finger pads, not the nail tips or you can weaken the nails. Palmtops and organizers will always be a pain, although you can use the type with the large LCD screens that read your handwriting (like the PalmPilot by 3Com).

Below is a quick list of general reminders:

Don't use nail tips to untie knots or loosen shoe laces. Boots can be the bane of nails in that we are more likely to need to loosen the laces to remove them and often need to grip the boot and pull to get the boots on.

Use the sides of your fingers to open car doors. This one has gotten me many times!

Don't dial the telephone with your fingers. Use a pen, pencil or some other body appendage.

Use your knuckles to press buttons, such as in elevators, crosswalks or self-destruct buttons.

Use a knife or razor to open boxes and packages, not your nails. (I know it is neat, but it will weaken them). On the same note, nails were not meant as screw drivers, apple corers or hors d'oeuvre utensils. (Ok, I may have used my pinky nails for that last one when they were out of toothpicks!)

Use the pads of your fingers - not the nails - when picking up or handling objects or while typing.

Always use rubber gloves when handling household cleaners as well as bleach. These chemicals will quickly dry out nails, leaving them brittle. Gloves also give the nails a bit of padding, but don't assume they are now impervious to breaks; Scratching dirt off a counter top while wearing gloves can still cause a break.

Particularly a problem for us candle freaks: watch out when lighting candles. I've learned to keep track of the flame on the match because my nails were so long I would not feel them burning as the flame singed the tips of my nails. If you have long nails you'll have to learn how to hold a match safely. Votive candles can be real killers when you have to reach deep into the glass to get at the wick. Light a taper candle and use that to light the other candles or buy one of those lighters used for gas stoves and charcoal grills (basically a lighter with a long metallic tip). I love the sound of a match being lit in a silent room so I tend to just use extreme care. Also, use common sense: never screw around with fire when your nail polish is not dry!

Jewelry latches can be your nemesis! It's hard enough trying to handle latches with long nails, but picking at latches with the side of your nail spells trouble. Use some sort of tool, like a small hand-held bottle cap remover.

Remove wet clothes from the washing machine with slow and deliberate movements. You can also make use of barbeque tongs when pulling wet clothes out to minimize risk of nail breaks.

When putting on your stockings (or any pantyhose for that matter) keep the index fingers turned under and use the middle portion of the thumb to pull them up. This won't only save your nail, but increase the life of your pantyhose as well.

Don't bother trying to pick up flat items (like coins) off a smooth surface since that can be very frustating and you'll look silly. It can also lead to breaks. Instead, slide them off with the edge with your hand or use a business card or some paper money to scrape it up.

Have a Happy New Year Everyone!

Tamara Croft
01-01-2005, 04:29 PM
To get back on topic - Great tips Rachelle! I am a nail nut too, these are some great ideas - thanks for taking the time to write these all down for us. Did you come up with all these yourself?

DanaJ

A nail nut?? not just a nut in general eh DanaJ... oh i lurve u really :p

Some great advice there.... couldn't have put it better myself, although I would have done some research into my beauty books to make sure I worded everything correctly ( I mean me not you ). Anymore advice Rachelle???

Tamara x

Fiona K
01-03-2005, 09:49 AM

DanaJ

Sorry Dana, Sorry Rachelle
Fiona
xx

MonaSmith
01-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Sorry Dana, Sorry Rachelle
Fiona
xxFIONA!! you really must stop hijacking threads! It's a very bad habit that you have there, lol.

Mona xx.